What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chargers Official 2021 Thread - The Little Team That Couldn't *** (1 Viewer)

Gr00vus

Footballguy
Bye Anthony Lynn. :bye:

Who's ready for 2021?

I still find myself not quite believing Herbert's success is sustainable, but I don't have a lot of rationale behind that feeling. Did he benefit that much from fanless stadiums? Did opposing teams just not prepare for him (except for the Patriots) or the Chargers in general the way they would for a competent team? Were his numbers inflated because the team's defense fell apart as the season went on so the offense had to score constantly? Were his numbers inflated because Ekeler was out so many games?  Looking at the qualitative numbers, Herbert was 15th in completion percentage,  12th in traditional quarterback rate, and 13th in ESPN's QBR - which are above average but not great. I don't have a football outsiders subscription so I can't see where he landed in their ratings. It's hard to come up with other reasonable negatives that lend themselves to expecting a significant drop off. He did all this with grossly inept coaching and management, behind one of the (if not the) worst offensive lines in the league, with a lot of his key skill players out for multiple games.

Who will the new coach be? Eric Bienemy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur Smith and Greg Roman seem like intriguing possibilities. I'm leery of Bienemy and Daboll because it's hard to tell how much of their success is bound up in the talent they've had to work with.

Saleh would be an interesting possibility too as the D could use someone who can maximize its talent, it'd be critical for him to pull the right OC to continue Herbert's development though.

Arthur Smith and Greg Roman seem like intriguing possibilities. I'm leery of Bienemy and Daboll because it's hard to tell how much of their success is bound up in the talent they've had to work with.

Saleh would be an interesting possibility too as the D could use someone who can maximize its talent, it'd be critical for him to pull the right OC to continue Herbert's development though.
Ducks/Herbert homer.  The talent is there.  Hire one of these guys and turn Justin LOOSE!

(Please God don't hire The Clapper.)

Daboll went to high school with the GM.  He was part of developing Allen. I have to think he is a front runner if he interviews well. 

I don't really follow college football, so for me rookies pretty much come out of nowhere. Herbert was probably my favorite rookie. I think he's for real. At this stage of his career, he can hit the open guy and doesn't seem to get too rattled (his mistakes are basic rookie mistakes). That's good for year one. I think poor coaching held him back. 

I think this is the job Gruden wishes he had taken. It's a talented team that can compete for a wildcard spot. 

I don't really follow college football, so for me rookies pretty much come out of nowhere. Herbert was probably my favorite rookie. I think he's for real. At this stage of his career, he can hit the open guy and doesn't seem to get too rattled (his mistakes are basic rookie mistakes). That's good for year one. I think poor coaching held him back. 

I think this is the job Gruden wishes he had taken. It's a talented team that can compete for a wildcard spot. 
You think of the close losses they had in 2020, and the absolutely stupid stuff it took to achieve those close losses - they should have competed for a wildcard spot in 2020.

Have to think this is the best job out of all of the openings.
IMO it is overrated for several reasons:

1. Ownership is bad, as proven by a long track record. This manifests in at least a couple ways:

Spanos is on the lower end of wealth on the spectrum of NFL owners, which leads to him not spending big on coaching and front office personnel
  2. There are several Spanos family members in positions within the organization, including Director of Football Operations; these family members will never be fired, and they do have varying levels of impact/influence on stuff that matters

As one example, ex-Chargers Danny Woodhead and Matt Slauson were on a podcast and stated that when Mike McCoy was the head coach, certain decisions involving starts and playing time were dictated from above McCoy

[*]Ownership for some of the other open jobs is arguably better and more desirable to work for

[*]Perhaps related to #1, the Chargers GM is one of the weaker GMs in the league

[*]The roster is severely overrated IMO:

1. QB Herbert appears to be great, and that is a huge plus... but:
  2. Edge Bosa and SS James are great when healthy, but both have had trouble staying healthy
  3. WR1 Allen is great and is possibly the best possession WR in the league... but he is a possession WR
  4. RB1 Ekeler is a good lead committee RB
  5. WR2 Mike Williams' 5th year option should be rescinded; he isn't worth close to $15M... so he may or may not be back
  6. TE1 Henry is fine but overrated, and he is a UFA; he may or may not be back (I think he will, though)
  7. CB1 Hayward just fell off a cliff
  8. LB Tranquill may become great, but he has played less than 400 NFL snaps; no guarantee how good he will be in the future
  9. LB Murray has a good pedigree, but he wasn't very good as a rookie; no guarantee he will ever play up to the draft capital used on him
  10. I generally like these players, and I'm generally glad they are Chargers, but this is the nucleus of the team, and it isn't really that strong, particularly in the trenches, with only one lineman identified in my list

[*]The Chargers play in the same division as the Chiefs; for the foreseeable future, that makes it much more difficult to win the division, which in turn makes it much more difficult to have playoff success

[*]The Chargers have no established fan base; pre-COVID, their time in LA was notable for opposing fans taking over every home game

[*]Maybe a minor thing in the big picture, but cost of living/housing/taxes is probably the highest for all of the open jobs

The Chargers are in better cap shape than a number of teams with open jobs, which is the main pro, but that is generally a one year pro.

We'll see.

Daboll went to high school with the GM.  He was part of developing Allen. I have to think he is a front runner if he interviews well. 
That school, mainly due to Bill Polian, has been a bit of a breeding ground for NFL front office jobs as well as NFL and college coaching jobs. Polians two kids, Daboll, Telesco and recently fired Jags GM Dave Caldwell all went to that HS.

1. Ownership is bad, as proven by a long track record. This manifests in at least a couple ways:

Spanos is on the lower end of wealth on the spectrum of NFL owners, which leads to him not spending big on coaching and front office personnel
  2. There are several Spanos family members in positions within the organization, including Director of Football Operations; these family members will never be fired, and they do have varying levels of impact/influence on stuff that matters

As one example, ex-Chargers Danny Woodhead and Matt Slauson were on a podcast and stated that when Mike McCoy was the head coach, certain decisions involving starts and playing time were dictated from above McCoy

[*]Ownership for some of the other open jobs is arguably better and more desirable to work for

[*]Perhaps related to #1, the Chargers GM is one of the weaker GMs in the league

2. Edge Bosa and SS James are great when healthy, but both have had trouble staying healthy
  3. WR1 Allen is great and is possibly the best possession WR in the league... but he is a possession WR
  5. WR2 Mike Williams' 5th year option should be rescinded; he isn't worth close to $15M... so he may or may not be back
  6. TE1 Henry is fine but overrated, and he is a UFA; he may or may not be back (I think he will, though)
  8. LB Tranquill may become great, but he has played less than 400 NFL snaps; no guarantee how good he will be in the future
  9. LB Murray has a good pedigree, but he wasn't very good as a rookie; no guarantee he will ever play up to the draft capital used on him
  10. I generally like these players, and I'm generally glad they are Chargers, but this is the nucleus of the team, and it isn't really that strong, particularly in the trenches, with only one lineman identified in my list

[*]The Chargers play in the same division as the Chiefs; for the foreseeable future, that makes it much more difficult to win the division, which in turn makes it much more difficult to have playoff success

[*]The Chargers have no established fan base; pre-COVID, their time in LA was notable for opposing fans taking over every home game

[*]Maybe a minor thing in the big picture, but cost of living/housing/taxes is probably the highest for all of the open jobs

The Chargers are in better cap shape than a number of teams with open jobs, which is the main pro, but that is generally a one year pro.

We'll see.
And to think, if they hire Jason Garrett, all of the well articulated points above are moot. Mediocrity will surely follow, as he has the remarkable ability to turn a 4-12 team into an 8-8 team, just like his skill of turning a 12-4 team into an 8-8 team.

Just no. Don’t do it.

And to think, if they hire Jason Garrett, all of the well articulated points above are moot. Mediocrity will surely follow, as he has the remarkable ability to turn a 4-12 team into an 8-8 team, just like his skill of turning a 12-4 team into an 8-8 team.

Just no. Don’t do it.
I sure hope they don't. There seem to be some higher ceiling guys out there. I don't know who will end up actually having the higher ceiling and who will be wash outs, but I think they need to roll the dice on one of those guys rather than going with a Jason Garret or Marvin Lewis retread.

Daboll or Brady make the most sense and would be perfect to unleash Herbert. Garrett would be ridiculous - can't believe he's still employed. 

Daboll or Brady make the most sense and would be perfect to unleash Herbert. Garrett would be ridiculous - can't believe he's still employed. 
I think sometimes teams like the idea of hiring someone like Garrett on the staff when they hire a head coach, like Daboll or Brady, with no NFL head coaching experience or in their case I think no head coaching experience at all. Brady in particular has such little NFL background that his contacts might be a little light with respect to assembling a staff.  I know he is getting interviewed but I'd be more worried about him joining the staff as OC then as HC, that is if  I was a LAC fan or invested in Herbert.

I think sometimes teams like the idea of hiring someone like Garrett on the staff when they hire a head coach, like Daboll or Brady, with no NFL head coaching experience or in their case I think no head coaching experience at all. Brady in particular has such little NFL background that his contacts might be a little light with respect to assembling a staff.  I know he is getting interviewed but I'd be more worried about him joining the staff as OC then as HC, that is if  I was a LAC fan or invested in Herbert.
Yeah that's often the thinking. The fact that they requested a meeting with Garrett so soon is pretty alarming. It suggests there's a decent amount of interest there.

I feel like you’re doing a disservice by not having the thread title use Lynn-quisition in lieu of Lynn inquisition.

Gr00vus said:
@Just Win Baby - overall I liked Murray this year, though he was inconsistent. What did you see that turns you off long term?
Extremely inconsistent. He had few big plays - 1 sack, 0 interceptions, 0 forced fumbles. He was terrible in coverage, allowing a 112.7 passer rating per PFF. Speaking of PFF, they did not grade him well. And he was actually benched at one point.

I'm not writing him off, just saying that they gave up a lot of draft capital for him, and his first season wasn't worth it. Maybe he will improve, I'm just not counting on it.

Jim Trotter

@JimTrotter_NFL

Jan 4

The Chargers are expected to interview 10-12 candidates for their HC job. Chairman Dean Spanos will be more involved with the hiring; he allowed son John and GM Telesco to oversee the last hire while he was dealing with stadium situation.
Such a dumb thing for Dean Spanos to say to the media.

1. The "stadium situation" was a disaster, so he didn't deal with it well. It's an unpleasant part of the Chargers' past, dumb to ever purposefully bring it up again.
  2. This is admitting that Lynn was a mistake. While that is self-evident from his firing 4 years later, there is no need to frame it that way, especially since the implication is that John Spanos and Telesco blew it. Yet both remain in their same positions of authority within the organization.
  3. The other implication here is that Dean being involved will ensure a better outcome than last time. Well, what was his excuse for Mike McCoy? Norv Turner? Was he involved in those hires or not?
Hard to concentrate this much dumbassery into fewer than 30 words. 

I keep telling myself no way could his happen, that some other agenda exists, but.....

@RapSheet

The #Chargers are going to interview #Giants OC Jason Garrett tomorrow, source said. GM Dave Gettleman said yesterday, "The possibility of Jason leaving, of course it makes you a little antsy.” They’d like to keep Garrett at NYG.

@mlombardiNFL

The Spano's family is close to Jimmy Johnson and Norv Turner and rely on them for advice with coaching decisions, which is why Garrett is on their list.

We'll see.
BIG negative is the job is in CAL - where the team may or may not be allowed to play

They interviewed Bienemy Tuesday, and requested interviews with Saleh and Daboll. Garret interview tomorrow.

They'll end up hiring Jason Garret or Marvin Lewis.

:bag:

They interviewed Panthers OC Joe Brady yesterday, and will interview Colts DC Matt Eberflus Monday.

Chargers interviewed Rams DC Brandon Staley yesterday (Sunday), and will interview Titan's OC Arthur Smith and Bill's OC Brian Daboll today (Monday).

Reading about the Chargers talking to Meyer almost made me puke.  Then I remembered that the Spanos family is probably too cheap to pay him what he is looking for,  so I felt better right away.  

The idea that Garrett was even remotely considered is beyond laughable.  I feel awful for their fans.  Like probably more than any other team in the NFL.

The idea that Garrett was even remotely considered is beyond laughable.  I feel awful for their fans.  Like probably more than any other team in the NFL.
Only reason to interview Clapper Red is if they think he satisfies the Rooney Rule because he’s a Ginger. As a Cowboy fan trust me, that would be the ONLY reason to bring him in unless they are needing advice on how to ruin the 2-minute offense, or how to waste time outs, or punting from the opponents 40 yard line on 4th and 2 when down 30 points. Stuff like that.....🤡

Fingers crossed for Daboll. 
Daboll could be really good for Herbert, as I think Herbert is a Josh Allen type.  Daboll would need a great DC and ST coach, and be willing to give those guys carte blanche.  He'd also need to be great at in-game decisions, which his current head coach is and Lynn obviously was not (maybe the worst ever).

Truebluey said:
Brady would be terrific for Herbert's development.
This would make me nervous.  From hot-shot college OC to hotshot NFL OC to NFL head coach?  Too soon, imo.  Too many other things to worry about.  If you could snipe him as OC for Saleh, great.  But that's not happening.

Chargers rumored to be giving Saleh a 2nd interview, in person. Don't know if this means they're done with initial interviews.
He'd need a Joe Brady or Daboll or Smith type to coach the offense, but this guy is going to be a stud head coach.  From a Niners fan.  :D

This would make me nervous.  From hot-shot college OC to hotshot NFL OC to NFL head coach?  Too soon, imo.  Too many other things to worry about.  If you could snipe him as OC for Saleh, great.  But that's not happening.
Better to be a year early than a year late.

Only reason to interview Clapper Red is if they think he satisfies the Rooney Rule because he’s a Ginger. As a Cowboy fan trust me, that would be the ONLY reason to bring him in unless they are needing advice on how to ruin the 2-minute offense, or how to waste time outs, or punting from the opponents 40 yard line on 4th and 2 when down 30 points. Stuff like that.....🤡
ahhh, you beat me to it hahaha

Daboll or Brady make the most sense and would be perfect to unleash Herbert.
I think the Chargers would have preferred Daboll or Brady, but they didn't want to have to wait until after the Bills or Buccaneers exited the playoffs. The new coach will have to assemble a whole staff, and waiting another week or more would make it that much harder. Still, Brady would have been my preferred choice, assuming he wants to go into coaching.

Users who are viewing this thread