What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wifi not working properly (1 Viewer)

Helaire-ious

Footballguy
All of a sudden, the wifi on my personal laptop started having no connection most of the time or constantly losing connection when I am downstairs (Router is upstairs), but if I am upstairs in the room w/the router, the connection strength is just fine.

I did not change anything with the router placement or anything on the laptop to cause this. Just started randomly Friday night and has not stopped.

My work laptop still gets signal just fine downstairs. It's just my personal laptop that has the problem.

Think the wireless card is going bad or would this be another issue?

Is it an HP laptop? My wife had a HP laptop from work that was giving her similar connection issues. Her IT department was like "It is your home wifi." She told them my husband has been in IT for years and is a complete dork. Our wifi is fine. (Which she was correct on all those points). I disabled the HP wifi manager and let windows manage her connections and it stopped having that issue.

Welp, that is what our IT departments advice usually is (and they are useless), so I've got nothing.
That's now just YOUR IT department's advice. That is the go to move for all tech support. Because turning it on and off fixes many issues. At work users will submit a ticket and say "Yes, I turned it on and off first". We had a tech guy start auditing the event logs to see if they really had.  :D  One of our engineers said he had turned his computer on and off 4 times already with no luck. The logs said he had not done it once. Same guy thought a coworker "stole his icons" off his desktop when he stole his 2nd monitor when he was on vacation, so he probably thought he had turned it on and off 4 times.

It's a Dell. I have a new wireless card coming since it was $7 off egay. Coming USPS so it'll be here in 6 months...

Also ordered a USB wifi stick off Amazon that'll be here tomorrow so let's see if it works with that. If so, has to be the card that is going bad. If not, I am out of ideas.

It's a Dell. I have a new wireless card coming since it was $7 off egay. Coming USPS so it'll be here in 6 months...

Also ordered a USB wifi stick off Amazon that'll be here tomorrow so let's see if it works with that. If so, has to be the card that is going bad. If not, I am out of ideas.
I bet that will be some package. 

I was having the same issues with my Verizon router. Devices randomly losing connection during the day. The devices would be random too. I was constantly restarting it. Finally, I bought a mesh wifi 6 system and havent had an issue since. In other words, its probably a ####ty router.

I was having the same issues with my Verizon router. Devices randomly losing connection during the day. The devices would be random too. I was constantly restarting it. Finally, I bought a mesh wifi 6 system and havent had an issue since. In other words, its probably a ####ty router.
Again, it's my personal laptop, not the router. My work laptop does not have connection issues. I'm using the USB wifi adapter on my personal laptop right now & so far so good

Again, it's my personal laptop, not the router. My work laptop does not have connection issues. I'm using the USB wifi adapter on my personal laptop right now & so far so good
But this is what I said. I had my PS4 losing connection but nothing else. Then a day later, my tv lost connection and nothing else. Other days, my phone would lose connection and nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
wonderful.  i have verizon coming out in two days as i'm switching over from cablevision.  glad to know i have some troubleshooting to look forward to.  

But this is what I said. I had my PS4 losing connection but nothing else. Then a day later, my tv lost connection and nothing else. Other days, my phone would lose connection and nothing else.
Everything else is still good. Only thing that is giving me issues is my personal laptop. Not the TV, not the router, not the work laptop, not my phone, not my receiver.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything else is still good. Only thing that is giving me issues is my personal laptop. Not the TV, not the router, not the work laptop, not my phone, not my receiver.....
Have you tried physically dropping the connection on your laptop to wifi and then re-added a new one? Try it without auto-connect too. 

Users who are viewing this thread