What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alphabet (Google) Workers Union (1 Viewer)

NorvilleBarnes

Footballguy
Hundreds of Google Employees Unionize, Culminating Years of Activism LINK

"Worker organizing got Project Maven & Project Dragonfly cancelled. It got 20,000+ Googlers to walk out against sexual harassment. It got $15 min wage & healthcare for contractors. 
And it's going to get us more." LINK

union is good. union makes life better. there should be a consumer's union, a fan's union, a health union, a housing union, etc etc. political parties should be unions, advocates for those without power to get fairness from power, to share value and spare money.

union is not and should not be what it was. union had to hire thugs to stand up to the thugs hired by money to keep out union. thugs took over. hell widdat -

money works for money. power works for power. people dont work for people, they got no money, no power. union.

Healthcare for contractors? Shouldn't the contracting company deal with that for the contractors? Or maybe it's independent contractors. If so, if you're going to then provide healthcare (I assume that means paying a large chunk of the insurance) to independent contractors, why not just make them employees?

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
union is good. union makes life better. there should be a consumer's union, a fan's union, a health union, a housing union, etc etc. political parties should be unions, advocates for those without power to get fairness from power, to share value and spare money.

union is not and should not be what it was. union had to hire thugs to stand up to the thugs hired by money to keep out union. thugs took over. hell widdat -

money works for money. power works for power. people dont work for people, they got no money, no power. union.
Any concern about them not going through NLRB?

"Though it’s not federally recognized through the NLRB, which would qualify it for getting actual bargaining power with the company in the future, the Alphabet Workers Union will act as a unified megaphone for workers."

"Though it’s not federally recognized through the NLRB, which would qualify it for getting actual bargaining power with the company in the future, the Alphabet Workers Union will act as a unified megaphone for workers."
dont follow it anymore. NLRB was one of the best uses of govt i ever saw when we were bringing AFSCME to the Albq health system 40 yrs ago (altho public employee unions have been almost as ruinous as the Teamsters anymore, with their ruining education and bringing the whole HR concept to the world), but i been out of the loop for a long time. all i see is that working folk cant make it on a single income anymore, barely on double in fact, and that money is working as hard against em as ever, and a damnsight more cleverly. there's a cure for that -

Healthcare for contractors? Shouldn't the contracting company deal with that for the contractors? Or maybe it's independent contractors. If so, if you're going to then provide healthcare (I assume that means paying a large chunk of the insurance) to independent contractors, why not just make them employees?
You’d have to pay the employer portion of FICA, along with other benefits like vacation. 

I suppose it depends on what tactics the “Union” uses. A non-recognized union organizing a mass walkout is a dangerous proposition as it could draw an antitrust suit from management. Whether management would be inclined to open that can of worms isn’t clear to me. 

Hundreds of Google Employees Unionize, Culminating Years of Activism LINK

"Worker organizing got Project Maven & Project Dragonfly cancelled. It got 20,000+ Googlers to walk out against sexual harassment. It got $15 min wage & healthcare for contractors. 
And it's going to get us more." LINK
Cool.  Maybe they should unionize and get union wages at like $25/hr.  These morons are shooting themselves in the foot (and it's glorious).  :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - completely off-topic - but funny, and I did not feel like making a specific thread for Deere:

Deere is apparently trying to break a strike by using salaried workers in the factory:

Jonah Furman @JonahFurman·4h

On the first full day of John Deere using non-union workers to attempt to replace UAW members on the factory floor… didn’t even make it til 8am without a 911 call.

:oldunsure:

(medical emergency, but not serious, apparently)

Also first day:

Jonah Furman@JonahFurman

Day 1: A non-union salaried worker just crashed a tractor inside the plant. Whoops!

Sinn Fein said:
Yeah - completely off-topic - but funny, and I did not feel like making a specific thread for Deere:

Deere is apparently trying to break a strike by using salaried workers in the factory:

On the first full day of John Deere using non-union workers to attempt to replace UAW members on the factory floor… didn’t even make it til 8am without a 911 call.

Also first day:

Jonah Furman@JonahFurman

Day 1: A non-union salaried worker just crashed a tractor inside the plant. Whoops!
Wasn't this an episode of The Office?

Sinn Fein said:

Also first day:

Jonah Furman@JonahFurman

If your wife pulls into the garage and squishes a trash can do you get on twitter and say she was just in a car crash? 

they broke a little electrical box with a huge tractor. Thats not a "crash"

Pretty crappy to pit the salaried, non-union employees against the unionized ones.  

"Break this strike or you're fired because you're an at-will employee."
Or telling that people that work from home “get the vaccine or your fired because you’re an at will employee”, right ?

Or telling that people that work from home “get the vaccine or your fired because you’re an at will employee”, right ?
No, not really the same. 

Off topic, so I hope this doesn't derail the thread, but those that work from home 100% shouldn't have a vaccine mandated by their company but they also should be barred from attendance at any company facility or customer/supplier facilities. 

Users who are viewing this thread