What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (5 Viewers)

Eagles waived Jamie Newman on Wednesday, which means they now only have 2 QBs on the roster. I would imagine 2 QB signings are coming for camp (unless they plan on throwing one of their coaches (Alex Tanney?) in there as the 4th QB to keep the camp sessions even) but at this point anyone they sign won't be more than a camp arm looking to get some game tape in the preseason games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have their eye on some potential development QBs and they will scoop one up off of waivers at final cutdowns if their current team tries to sneak them through to the practice squad. 

Eagles resigned Richard Rodgers TE today. I'm guessing with this move the Eagles are close to an Ertz move Trade/Release in the coming days 

Eagles waived Jamie Newman on Wednesday, which means they now only have 2 QBs on the roster. I would imagine 2 QB signings are coming for camp (unless they plan on throwing one of their coaches (Alex Tanney?) in there as the 4th QB to keep the camp sessions even) but at this point anyone they sign won't be more than a camp arm looking to get some game tape in the preseason games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have their eye on some potential development QBs and they will scoop one up off of waivers at final cutdowns if their current team tries to sneak them through to the practice squad. 
Rypien would be perfect, especially if Denver trades for Watson/Rodgers.

I think the eagles are in a really good position with this new coaching staff and the next few years. 

1. They aren't tied to hurts at all. If he balls out and looks like a franchise QB in the making, thats the best case scenario. Use the 3 (assuming wentz stays healthy) first round picks on defense and supporting cast. If he flops or gets hurt, we should have a top 5 pick and the ammo to move up to one if need be and get the QB of this coaching staffs choosing. 

2. The cap situation gets much better next year and drastically better the following year. As does some of the young talent hitting the FA pool at prime positions of current needs (WR, LB, CB)

3. We still have one of the better offensive and defensive lines in football with some solid, not amazing, depth along both. 

4. We have some young skill players in a new system outside of the OL/DL that are quite promising on both sides of the ball. And for what I'd consider a "red shirt" year, this is more of a tryout for 2022 and beyond more than anything else. I'll obviously be cheering for them the whole way, but I'm a realist. I do like hurts tho and think we could surprise and take the division if he plays well.

5. I dont hate out WR's. I love what smith brings and I think reagor gets some unnecessary heat based on the circumstances of last year. I think he will be much better operating from the slot more. Stable QB play (hopefully) and a fresh system will do him right. I dont trust fulgham, i think he's servicable, but maybe he surprises us. Good news, the FA WR's over the next two years both offer young talented players. Just go find the right fit, good news, we will have the money. 

6. Sanders/Goedart are going to be beasts. 

7. Secondary is honestly 1 CB away from being kinda dirty. Hopefully one of the players steps up or they go get nelson this year if they like him as a long term play. Being that "red shirt" year, you build the system and go get a top FA CB or go after a top CB in next years draft. 

Either way, Go birds!! I just really like the way they are setting up to really be a sleeper team to really compete if they go and get the right pieces to the puzzle. 

Nick Mullins the new QB3. If Hurts goes down this season is going to get super ugly.
Lowest % of accurate passes thrown from a clean pocket in 2020, per @PFF

29. Nick Mullens (58%)

30. Sam Darnold (56%)

31 Mitch Trubisky (53%)

32. Carson Wentz (52%)

I kinda think they are planning on that (things getting super ugly) if Hurts goes down, or just doesn't have it as an NFL starter, because then they wind up with a high draft pick in a draft where they are loaded with picks. 

It's not quite tanking/"Trust the process" but it is literally a "Hurts or bust" strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:

29. Nick Mullens (58%)

30. Sam Darnold (56%)

31 Mitch Trubisky (53%)

32. Carson Wentz (52%)

I kinda think they are planning on that (things getting super ugly) if Hurts goes down, or just doesn't have it as an NFL starter, because then they wind up with a high draft pick in a draft where they are loaded with picks. 

It's not quite tanking/"Trust the process" but it is literally a "Hurts or bust" strategy.
Also signing Flacco kinda supports this theory. So if Hurts is great, awesome run with it, if not or gets injured, lets not try too hard to be good.

29. Nick Mullens (58%)

30. Sam Darnold (56%)

31 Mitch Trubisky (53%)

32. Carson Wentz (52%)

Well if my source who said about 75% or so of the org doesn't believe in Hurts is right, it certainly sounds like they are planning to not have a great QB outcome 

29. Nick Mullens (58%)

30. Sam Darnold (56%)

31 Mitch Trubisky (53%)

32. Carson Wentz (52%)

Just out of curiosity did Hurts have enough attempts to make that list?

Tom Hagen said:
Just out of curiosity did Hurts have enough attempts to make that list?
according to bleeding green I read today if Hurts was eligible he and Wenz made every list of bad throw stats last year. 

Minor Eagles news: Les Bowen is taking a buyout and retiring from the Inquirer/Eagles beat

Les was good people in his Eagles coverage (and his Flyers coverage, before that.) 
Not surprising. The Inky Is a dying paper and when you continue to employ clowns like Jeff McLane people stop reading. I've always liked Les and speaking of which I gained a lot of respect for him when he stood up to McLane years ago. 

Either way well deserved retirement for Les and certainly will be missed 

In Minor and cool Eagles news My Friend was in Sea Isle NJ for Fathers day and had his daughter's picture taken with Jason and Travis Kelce who are partying up at the Jersey Shore. Pretty cool experience for him. 

Minor Eagles news: Les Bowen is taking a buyout and retiring from the Inquirer/Eagles beat

Les was good people in his Eagles coverage (and his Flyers coverage, before that.) 

Not surprising. The Inky Is a dying paper and when you continue to employ clowns like Jeff McLane people stop reading. I've always liked Les and speaking of which I gained a lot of respect for him when he stood up to McLane years ago. 

Either way well deserved retirement for Les and certainly will be missed 

Always enjoyed Les' writing and he's unexpectedly funny on Twitter.

Yep. I'm pleasantly surprised that Bowen was able to end his career with a buyout instead of a layoff. 
I got a little nervous that the Eagles thread wasn't on the front page, i think this might be the first time i can remember seeing it  :lmao: .

I multi-quoted little more than i needed to here, but i am not surprised with Les moving on. The sports media and general media overall has changed so dramatically over the last 20 years or so. I was pretty surprised when Toll Brothers bought the Inquirer and Daily News, and you could see they knew it was a mistake when the made subscriptions necessary for all things related. there is so much free content out there that can access the same things that beat writers used to only be able to get, i feel for people who went into journalism 10 years ago or so and are approaching that changing landscape.

A group I am happy for are former players are coming up with their own podcasts/reports. Seth Joyner has a pretty good one, and Mikell and Avant have one that has good subjects to discuss. they just have a perspective that many won't have being former players and not being dependent (hopefully) to pull the company line and be able to speak freely from a former perspective. 

Listening now to the Mikell and Avant show, and it is on a painful subject right now with Ben vs Carson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6yZ3Cp7p8&ab_channel=InsideTheBirds. it isn't that they are that informed with the actual situations (Ben in particular), but they honestly have more worthy to say then any of the national media, and majority of the local media. 

and Mikell and Avant have one that has good subjects to discuss. they just have a perspective that many won't have being former players and not being dependent (hopefully) to pull the company line and be able to speak freely from a former perspective. 

Listening now to the Mikell and Avant show, and it is on a painful subject right now with Ben vs Carson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6yZ3Cp7p8&ab_channel=InsideTheBirds. it isn't that they are that informed with the actual situations (Ben in particular), but they honestly have more worthy to say then any of the national media, and majority of the local media. 
thanks for posting this! watching the Ben v Carson episode and love the player perspective and it's like watching some friends talk football, except they have actual experience that lend credibility. subscribed.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

NFL approved alternate helmets today for teams wearing throwback uniforms starting in 2022, per league sources. This opens the door to the defending world-champion Bucs wearing the old white helmets with the orange swashbuckling Buccaneer as early as 2022.

Kelly Green Throwbacks?

I got a little nervous that the Eagles thread wasn't on the front page, i think this might be the first time i can remember seeing it  :lmao: .

I multi-quoted little more than i needed to here, but i am not surprised with Les moving on. The sports media and general media overall has changed so dramatically over the last 20 years or so. I was pretty surprised when Toll Brothers bought the Inquirer and Daily News, and you could see they knew it was a mistake when the made subscriptions necessary for all things related. there is so much free content out there that can access the same things that beat writers used to only be able to get, i feel for people who went into journalism 10 years ago or so and are approaching that changing landscape.

A group I am happy for are former players are coming up with their own podcasts/reports. Seth Joyner has a pretty good one, and Mikell and Avant have one that has good subjects to discuss. they just have a perspective that many won't have being former players and not being dependent (hopefully) to pull the company line and be able to speak freely from a former perspective. 

I can't get into Seth at all. Great player but not just on the pre and post show but social media he acts like one of those "I played football and you didn't so you can't have an opinion on the subject" types who looks down on you unless you at least played or have experience to at least college level. He's not intolerable like some guys but he comes across as someone who gets aggravated easily with those who don't have a similar opinion. 

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

NFL approved alternate helmets today for teams wearing throwback uniforms starting in 2022, per league sources. This opens the door to the defending world-champion Bucs wearing the old white helmets with the orange swashbuckling Buccaneer as early as 2022.

Kelly Green Throwbacks?
Might have to update the Slim Reaper Jersey a little if this were to occur. 

Inquirer and Eagles beat guy Paul Domowitch announced he took the buyout and last day is Sept 1st. Domo I liked but at times he seemed to have biases towards or against certain players. His biggest was the one he had against DeSean Jackson. However when the character hit piece on DJAC when he got released came out DOMO was one of the very first people in the Media defending DeSean. he also wrote great piece a few days later where he researched every inch of the article and came up with numerous holes in the story arch's as well comments from sources on those events too. It was a really fascinating read and DOMO essentially destroyed the whole article. Most of the other beat guys followed suit either adding what they had to what Paul had or just agreeing with him. 

Domowitch was a very good writer and was a main stay on Daily News live back in the day as well. He was another who didn't write an article to get a hot take or any extra BS. They were thoughtful and well researched.  

DJackson10 said:
Inquirer and Eagles beat guy Paul Domowitch announced he took the buyout and last day is Sept 1st. Domo I liked but at times he seemed to have biases towards or against certain players. His biggest was the one he had against DeSean Jackson. However when the character hit piece on DJAC when he got released came out DOMO was one of the very first people in the Media defending DeSean. he also wrote great piece a few days later where he researched every inch of the article and came up with numerous holes in the story arch's as well comments from sources on those events too. It was a really fascinating read and DOMO essentially destroyed the whole article. Most of the other beat guys followed suit either adding what they had to what Paul had or just agreeing with him. 

Domowitch was a very good writer and was a main stay on Daily News live back in the day as well. He was another who didn't write an article to get a hot take or any extra BS. They were thoughtful and well researched.  
So, Les and Domo are gone and everybody's favourite Jeff McLane is last man standing?

The Noid said:
Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

Kelly Green Throwbacks?
I'll definitely go, might finally be time to get that throwback Cunningham.

been following the Harry story not related to Philly and something about him doesn't sit right with me and I don't mean his skills. Not sure I'd want him associated with the Eagles. This from that article from Cam:

In New England, Harry was "battered," according to Cam Newton during a visit with the "I AM ATHLETE" podcast earlier this offseason. The implication was that the second-year receiver, who'd grown close to Newton in their time together, was worn down by the atmosphere and the demands placed upon him in Foxboro.
so Harry is entering his third year, been injurred twice already in two years that led to him missing games, have been targeted all of 79 times in those two years. so what demands? other articles so far this preseason pretty much said he was disappointed at not getting the opportunities he thought he would get in the NFL based on his success in college. guess he could come into his own eventually, but i see immaturity here and Cam isn't exactly the poster child for maturity.

Coach K announcing his retirement, followed by a Lakers season-ending loss and the Yankees lose today as well. 

Just a brutal 48 hours for Cowboy fans 
:lmao:  Even as a Cowboys fan, this is gold. 

(Full disclosure I dont like any of those other teams but Kobe was my favorite bball player of all time and I did root for the Lakers during his tenure. I no longer support them or any team with Lebron James on its roster. )

been following the Harry story not related to Philly and something about him doesn't sit right with me and I don't mean his skills. Not sure I'd want him associated with the Eagles. This from that article from Cam:

so Harry is entering his third year, been injurred twice already in two years that led to him missing games, have been targeted all of 79 times in those two years. so what demands? other articles so far this preseason pretty much said he was disappointed at not getting the opportunities he thought he would get in the NFL based on his success in college. guess he could come into his own eventually, but i see immaturity here and Cam isn't exactly the poster child for maturity.
Don't really want either of those losers on the roster 

I would take anything Cam Newton says about a teammate with a grain of salt. He should be one to talk. This is a guy early in his career had no issue throwing his teammates under the bus and taking all the praise though. 

Something about Harry doesn’t excite me, probably the fact that he seems slower than Refrigerator Perry out there. 
N'Keal Harry has lost his mind

If your basis for requesting a trade is because Harry needs more “opportunity,” then good luck. The only competition Harry had for targets last year was two former undrafted free agents in Jakobi Meyers and Damiere Byrd, and the hobbled final offerings of Julian Edelman. There is not a single team in the NFL that he could go to with less competition for targets than New England.
Although he was injured it's kinda hard to refute the bolded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely in the "I need to see more, but I'm doubtful" camp on Hurts being the possible long-term answer at QB, but I also have been thinking this same thing every time I hear the "He doesn't have an NFL arm" knock:

Does Hurts have an NFL arm? Is that really a question?
Mine comes from the fact that he doesn't seem to have a lot of mustard on his throws. He has a nice touch pass but he also doesn't seem to trust or have enough on throws he might have to hit a receiver between defenders. He also missed a few NFL Open Pro throws that would've netted a better positive play in favor of a very very open man or checking it down. I'm not expecting my QB to go gunslinger Favre but to have some confidence throwing to a receiver with defenders near a guy, because there will times you need to make those throws

Another concern is all of Hurts throws were more sideline. Nothing between the hashes. Was that by design? Maybe but his throws in college between the hashes aren't impressive and a lot of them were thrown to pretty wide open guys on blown or busted coverages. 

I'm in the I don't think he's gonna amount to anything long term NFL wise. My biggest fear though is he becomes a guy who's incredible streaky and inconsistent where he looks like he could be a guy for 4-5 games has 4-5 clunkers where he looks like he shouldn't be playing and the rest of the games are slightly avg. I just hope when my sources said in January about the FO not huge believers in Hurts and wanting to get "their guy" in saves us from being a team who keeps Hurts passed expiration date and finds a solution if needed before we go into QB purgatory. I hope he proves people like us wrong as it'd make things much easier but I'm in the "I'm doubtful" camp as well. 

I'm definitely in the "I need to see more, but I'm doubtful" camp on Hurts being the possible long-term answer at QB, but I also have been thinking this same thing every time I hear the "He doesn't have an NFL arm" knock:

Does Hurts have an NFL arm? Is that really a question?
You onow it’s the dead part of the off season when you read an article an become unjustifiably optimistic about Hurts as your starting QB. Good article.

I mean - of course we're doubtful. He's a 2nd round pick who showed some promise, but also had significant issues, on a poor team. History says - it is far more likely then not he won't work out.  I hope he does! We all hope he does. But yea, he probably won't. It's still worth giving him the chance to see if he can beat the odds.

I mean - of course we're doubtful. He's a 2nd round pick who showed some promise, but also had significant issues, on a poor team. History says - it is far more likely then not he won't work out.  I hope he does! We all hope he does. But yea, he probably won't. It's still worth giving him the chance to see if he can beat the odds.
Hoistory is against him for multiple reasons. Plus he was overdrafted. Fair or not people will compare his production to what a 2nd rounder producers 

Key dates with camp starting in 2 weeks:

7/27: Players report

7/28: First practice

8/8: Public practice #1

8/12: Preseason Game #1 vs. PIT

8/16-8/17: Practice vs. NE

8/17: Roster cut to 85

8/19: Preseason Game #2 vs. NE

8/22: Public practice #2

8/24: Roster cut to 80

8/24-8/25: Practice at NYJ

8/27: Preseason Game #3 at NYJ

8/31: Roster cut to 53

From Eskin:

Latest on #Eagles Zach Ertz. I know hear there is a great chance Ertz will be on team at start of season. Been told Zach will  be there at start of training camp Tuesday.  Zach has been working out in team facility for close to last 2 weeks with teammates. He’s over the issues.

From Eskin:

Latest on #Eagles Zach Ertz. I know hear there is a great chance Ertz will be on team at start of season. Been told Zach will  be there at start of training camp Tuesday.  Zach has been working out in team facility for close to last 2 weeks with teammates. He’s over the issues.
Ertz has been great and I really hate the thought of losing Julie ( :wub: ) but if he finishes the season as an Eagle the organization really messed up. Trading him for anything before the season would save $8.5 million against the cap and better allow them to see what they have in Goedert and the young WR. 

Ertz has been great and I really hate the thought of losing Julie ( :wub: ) but if he finishes the season as an Eagle the organization really messed up. Trading him for anything before the season would save $8.5 million against the cap and better allow them to see what they have in Goedert and the young WR. 
agree. i dont get it

Users who are viewing this thread