What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (3 Viewers)

I mean, all I'm really saying is timing matters. Yes, if he extended based on promises that were not kept, he has a legit gripe. The original post said Wentz had a legit gripe based on the Nick Foles treatment. I disagree with that. Can we say Foles should have been traded a year earlier or something? Sure, although Wentz was hurt to start that season so that's not a great take for a team coming right off the 2017 the Eagles had. But Wentz can't use that as to why he wants out.
The thing is I don't think he has used it. At least from people I've talked too Foles isn't even an issue on this in terms of keeping him or not at that time. Thats just baseless speculation like everyone saying the Eagles want to trade him or other stuff that hasn't been confirmed yet. My point was like Watson Wentz may have been promised stuff that never happened. This happens a lot. 

To give another example many here know I follow Wrestling pretty closely and have a few sources there. There's numerous times especially in WWE/F with Vince where Talent is promised "if they sign this contract for X amount of $$$$" they will get this this and that. Recent example is they just resigned a guy named AJ Styles in 2019 Dec or so. AJ's good friends Luke Gallows (Played Imposter Kane in WWE and was in WWE before being released and going to NJPW) and Karl Anderson got resigned only because AJ wouldn't if they weren't part of the deal. They were promised this big run as a group. The Pandemic hit and both Ander/Gallows were released despite the fact there were numerous other that should've been before them making way more money. Styles felt backstabbed and he also didn't get promised other things. He talked about this on his twitch stream before WWE took every wrestlers social media streams down (Claiming intellectual propter and any money made was technically he companies) but has remained professional about stuff. He's just one of many examples of companies lying to talent/employees. 

I've been on the receiving end of that as well. Promised this or that "I just needed to be patient or hang in there" and when I brought it up they ran around the bush when the time came. only to find out later they had no intentions of doing anything. Unfortunately owners/companies feel we are the low men on the totem poll and we should just shut up and accept what we get. Unfortunately for them business doesn't work that way. You can pay someone a ton of money but if their work environment isn't to their liking and management doesn't do anything to help and does more to effect it negatively then yeah you are gonna get negative employee feed back or even work. Reality is the worker is a lot smarter now especially athletes 

From Rob Maaddi:

Lots of Carson Wentz talk here in Tampa. 2 team executives told me #Eagles should get at least a first-round pick for him. Neither thinks they could get two 1s. One says a 1 outside top 5. Other says a 1 in 2nd half of 1st round. Biggest question is will the Eagles do it.
They really shouldn't accept anything less. If teams aren't willing we keep him and if he plays well enough and still wants to leave after next season we can get even more for him possible or if he wants to stay we keep him. My biggest fear is we end up selling low and Wentz becomes a HoFer else where. Honestly I think trading him "gut feeling" is it will end up as one of the worst moves in team history up there with drafting Mike Mamula over Sapp or Jackson over Steve Smith etc etc. We can't sell low on a QB who's still young enough in this league and frankly his contract is way more reasonable then some of the other QBs his age or around it right now 

Carson and Reich phone call:

FR:  Carson what happened to you this year, are you fixable?

CW:  Frank, you know how awful Doug was running an offense.  You were the reason we won the SB.

FR:  Ya, I know Carson.  You have a good point.

CW:  Just offer them pick 21 and get me on a plane there ASAP.  Trust me, I'll be good there.

Just get this done already, it makes too much sense not to.
With that contract and the question marks, I think they'll be doing well to get a 2nd and a conditional 2022 4th that can upgrade to 2022 2nd. 

Patriots have been rumored with Jimmy g but wentz would be my choice if I get one 
I don't see it because Bill has never been willing to trade picks. I think Jimmy G is more of a no brainer as he seems like he was BB's guy before Tom cried to Kraft. 

JaxBill said:
With that contract and the question marks, I think they'll be doing well to get a 2nd and a conditional 2022 4th that can upgrade to 2022 2nd. 
Possibly.  Was mainly going off the rumour that a few execs are saying he will get "at least a first".

There's definitely contract issues and question marks, but both of those are slightly less in Indy than with any other team (room for big contract and Reich knows him well)

modogg said:
Man, at this point with all of this unneccessary drama i just want the Eagles to move on from Wentz. I don't care how he does and succeeds somewhere else, dude is just way too egocentric and at this point is just a pain and needs to go fast. Love how Hurts has said (i know it is a business and i would love to compete and fight for the job) vs. Wentz who seems to be sending out rumours under "anonymous" in the media and not speaking up at all with what he actually thinks. 

Just seems like an entitled kid who has not grown up at all. hate to make these assumptions but it really seems over and over that this is the case

modogg said:
Reid proved he was a good coach over many years. Wentz gave us 1 great year, 2 mediocre years, and 1 horrendous year where he was pretty much the worst in the league.

For Hurts, let him try. do we trust Howie to make the call at a QB that high again? I don't care a ton about if Hurts is QB or not next year, i just think they need to move on from Wentz asap. 

And yes we all would love to see Howie move on too, but he won't be. if we can't deal with it we need to be a fan of another team. I would love to see Howie have to be moved too, but not sure if there is a better GM out there to bring in. 
And @modoggthis of course has nothing to do with you owning Hurts as a (potential) keeper for our league next year, right?

Deamon said:
Nah, that's Brett's team.
I hope so cause I’m pulling for him. It’s always cool to have family in the NFL. Especially if you can have thick skin and laugh at the jealous haters. Your boy should do well in Denver. 👍🏼

I hope so cause I’m pulling for him. It’s always cool to have family in the NFL. Especially if you can have thick skin and laugh at the jealous haters. Your boy should do well in Denver. 👍🏼
Haha, I'm rooting for him and I joke about it a lot, but realistically I don't think he's Denver's long term plan as their starting QB.

JaxBill said:

Possibly.  Was mainly going off the rumour that a few execs are saying he will get "at least a first".

There's definitely contract issues and question marks, but both of those are slightly less in Indy than with any other team (room for big contract and Reich knows him well)
I honestly have no clue how to break down his value. I just read an article on ESPN from Tim McManus, who usually knows his stuff and he said we are receiving “aggressive offers”, which is good and worries me even more at the same time lol

Tom Hagen said:
Do the people bashing Hurts in here for transferring feel the same way about Joe Burrow?  I don't think Hurts is going to be a great NFL QB but I think some of the criticism is unfair to the kid.  He's not the only player to ever transfer. :shrug:
I don’t blame Hurts a bit for transferring.  He came back the year after getting benched, willing to compete, and lost that competition.  He was a good teammate for that season, then made a perfectly rational decision about his future in football. 

Nothing to see here.

Bigboy10182000 said:
From Rob Maaddi:

Lots of Carson Wentz talk here in Tampa. 2 team executives told me #Eagles should get at least a first-round pick for him. Neither thinks they could get two 1s. One says a 1 outside top 5. Other says a 1 in 2nd half of 1st round. Biggest question is will the Eagles do it.
If they can get a 1, then do it quick.

The only way it could work out long term would be if the relationship was reset with the new coaching staff, and Wentz embraces the coaching with a desire to improve and work on the flaws that have come in to his game over the last 2 seasons.

Based on his silence and continued rumours he still wants out, its hard to see that happening, and the problem is clearly with Howie / Laurie as much as it was with Doug.

Hard to see it working out in a positive way from here, so time to move on I think, even though I could really see this backfiring.  

Imagine if he went elsewhere and did all the above, out of sheer spite against the Eagles.😡

I honestly have no clue how to break down his value. I just read an article on ESPN from Tim McManus, who usually knows his stuff and he said we are receiving “aggressive offers”, which is good and worries me even more at the same time lol
Tim is really good he use to do 24/7 Birds with Sheil Kapadia and they both got people into the advance metrics stuff. They always had some really good articles and breakdowns. I think Sheil does a new podcast covering the Eagles but he was covering SEA for ESPN before recently moving to the Athletic. Fun fact about Tim. When he calls in to the radio its usually from his house in his basement where he has a pretty cool office. Only met him through a friend who is the media who I went to HS with and time to time offers me tickets to any sport he's covering. 

Tim is really good he use to do 24/7 Birds with Sheil Kapadia and they both got people into the advance metrics stuff. They always had some really good articles and breakdowns. I think Sheil does a new podcast covering the Eagles but he was covering SEA for ESPN before recently moving to the Athletic. Fun fact about Tim. When he calls in to the radio its usually from his house in his basement where he has a pretty cool office. Only met him through a friend who is the media who I went to HS with and time to time offers me tickets to any sport he's covering. 
Sheil is a national writer at the Athletic.  Still does a lot of Eagles stuff and does the Birds With Friends podcast sometimes with Bo Wulf and Zach Berman as well.

Sheil is a national writer at the Athletic.  Still does a lot of Eagles stuff and does the Birds With Friends podcast sometimes with Bo Wulf and Zach Berman as well.
Yeah I know he's with them now didn't realize he was doing the Birds with Friends podcast. I believe him and Tim were one of the first few writers when they did 24/7 that had a pod too if I'm not mistaken. 

I'm gonna @Bigboy10182000 this for minute but saw this concerning Hurts stat. 

Last 20 drives of the season Hurts stats Final 11 Drives of WK 16 and 9 drives in WK17 

Team PTs: 17

Comp/att: 25 for 56

COMP%: 44.6%

TD/INT Ratio: 0TD 3 INTS

FUMB Lost: 1

41.2 passer rating

Yes, we all know he was bad the last two games. He played like a 2nd round rookie with little reps and a crappy training camp, that struggled seeing the field.

We'll see. Maybe he improves, maybe not. He could do either.

Yes, we all know he was bad the last two games. He played like a 2nd round rookie with little reps and a crappy training camp, that struggled seeing the field.

We'll see. Maybe he improves, maybe not. He could do either.
Yeah.  He’s not good enough at this point, anyone who says he’s proved he’s the future or whatever is delusional IMO.

He has a lot of improvement required to reach even baseline starting QB, but I have no idea if he can do it or not.

Yeah.  He’s not good enough at this point, anyone who says he’s proved he’s the future or whatever is delusional IMO.

He has a lot of improvement required to reach even baseline starting QB, but I have no idea if he can do it or not.
If they move Wentz, do they go QB with 6?

Has to be a consideration 

Admittedly, I know very little of these QBs in the draft except for Lawrence.  Is Wilson, Fields, Lance considered good value picks at 6....or are they more of the "we need a QB...and these are the best this year...so we're going to take them in the hopes they work out" type?

If they move Wentz, do they go QB with 6?
It's certainly possible, although I still think depends who else is there. Getting a top talent to pair with a rookie QB next year might be the better long term strat, and you can see what kind of development Hurts has.

Or Wentz, but it really sounds like he's gone.

From George Ofman out of Chicago:

So now I’m hearing the Eagles want at least two first round picks and a player for Wentz and the Bears are listening!!!!!!!
Khalil Mack!!!1111!!! or Uralckerzzzzz.

My .02, they need to keep Wentz, if they don't get that kind of offer. Even if he doesn't want to play here, and will pout. We are in "nuke it from the sky and rebuild" mode, regardless of how things play out.

Wentz has a contract that the Eagles can't just cut. Even a trade leaves us with a huge cap hit of dead money. Wentz has to play to prove his worth and increase his market value to get traded next year. Next year, his contract is less onerous and increases the value of what we get back. We have so many needs at so many positions, just count on this year being a loss; stock up on good, young talent and play it out. Give Sirianni a pass for this year, and implement the plan over 2-3 years and get us competitive again. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
He won games as a back up like most do at programs like his. 

Why didn’t he just beat Tua out instead of running away to a place where he had no competition? 

Im obviously not being serious. He did what was best for him but for some reason my radio or people like Jetmaxx never seem to bring this up. In their eyes it’s something to be proud of, but that Wentz guy is fragile for doing it. I imagine these are the same types who loved Utley but hated Howard or Rollins during their peaks. 
Wth are you saying? You equate a kid transferring to maximize his earning potential and exploding due to his work ethic to a petulant big fish in a small pond guy shrinking to adversity after cashing a $128M payday???

I'm gonna @Bigboy10182000 this for minute but saw this concerning Hurts stat. 

Last 20 drives of the season Hurts stats Final 11 Drives of WK 16 and 9 drives in WK17 

Team PTs: 17

Comp/att: 25 for 56

COMP%: 44.6%

TD/INT Ratio: 0TD 3 INTS

FUMB Lost: 1

41.2 passer rating
make sure you rewatch some of those games (i believe the Arizona one) where the recieving corp had 6-7 dropped balls that hit them in the hands

As a Chicago fan, I'm ok with getting Wentz. I'm even ok-ish with them giving up their second rounder for him. But two firsts and a player? Eff that!

Add to that the fact that Chicago's o-line is a train wreck,  and I'm not see the upside of getting Wentz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it sounds like I'm talking out both sides of my mouth. Let me explain:

Do I think Wentz is worth a 2nd? Yes,  absolutely. If they got him for that I'd be ok with it because we, literally, haven't had a QB with any upside in my lifetime. Its sad when Jay Cutler has most of the team's passing records.  

But, as I said, until that line is rebuilt,  what's the point. Wentz will get slaughtered just like he did in Philly, so it's  a catch-22. You're excited about the potential,  but realistic about the expectations. 

Imagine:
- Eagles deal Wentz for a 2021 1st rnd pick
- Eagles package that 1st + 2022 1st + bit more later picks + Hurts to Texans for Watson
- Eagles draft offensive weapon with 6th overall

Texans get picks + a young QB talent.
Eagles get new QB.
Wentz gets fresh start.

Eagles can't afford that Watson contract tho. We'll be lucky if we sign anyone this offseason. Next year? Sure. This year we are paying the price for Alshon and Desean and Brooks and Cox and Graham and Johnson and on and on...

make sure you rewatch some of those games (i believe the Arizona one) where the recieving corp had 6-7 dropped balls that hit them in the hands
Jeffrey should've been called for OPI at least 3 times that game. Only reason they were even still in it was the refs didn't even call it. It was pretty blatant too. 

Just saw this, I really feel for Andy and what his family has been through. 

@JasonLaCanfora

Chiefs not intending to travel with OLB coach Britt Reid while investigation into his role into a very serious multi-vehicle accident is ongoing. Son of Andy Reid.

Imagine:
- Eagles deal Wentz for a 2021 1st rnd pick
- Eagles package that 1st + 2022 1st + bit more later picks + Hurts to Texans for Watson
- Eagles draft offensive weapon with 6th overall

Texans get picks + a young QB talent.
Eagles get new QB.
Wentz gets fresh start.
As much as I'm ok with that no way we get Watson with our cap plus we can't be giving away draft picks. 

Just saw this, I really feel for Andy and what his family has been through. 
My cousin was his youngest son (Spencer) Wrestling coach at Lower Merion during the time the other two had their issues. Andy offered him tickets to travel with the team to ARZ for the Conference title game the next year after my cousin had helped take care of Spencer during his two brothers issues. My Cousin being a teacher couldn't accept. 

Well, at #6 - 

Top two QB's are certainly gone (Lawrence and Wilson)

So, I think the only two that have a case there are Fields and Trey Lance.  I don't think they want the drama around another North Dakota QB this year (even if its the right pick as they are different players, I think it creates a whole mess of comparisons and expectations we dont want)

So - it would be Fields vs Chase/Smith vs Surtain most likely.

I would probably not go QB, and instead sign a vet to compete with Hurts. This team isnt going to be able to support a rookie QB, and getting a top offensive talent at 6 to put in place first seems ideal. You get a year of development, a year to evaluate Hurts, a year to see if your Oline can stabilize - and next year, you are in a MUCH better cap position, and can sign some talent to put around a rookie QB next year (if Hurts doesnt look the part).

I really hope we get Chase though. I can just see us drafting Smith, and then find out he never is able to beat bump coverage and get off the line in time in the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread