What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (6 Viewers)

If Wentz turns back into that 2017 MVP caliber talent, sure. If he simply reverts back to that middle tier average or worse QB he was every other year, its not great loss.  Time will tell. 

I don't disagree it was a terrible pick. I didn't like it at the time, and I still don't.  Just saying it didn't set up back years. The overall bad drafting and doubling down on old, oft-injured talent did that.
I hear you, the factor is will Hurts be more that the bolded? If that’s all he becomes then that’s what makes the  :tfp:

I don't think it matters. If Wentz turns out, as a result of injuries or just being who he is, to simply average (His QBR in 2019 was 62.8, in 2018 was 62.0) - that QBR puts his right around Daniel Jones (61.5), Teddy Bridgewater (64.2) territory. If that's the case, given his huge contract - its probably better to get what we can for him and rebuild. That level of play won't win games in the playoffs unless you have a top 5 defense.

I vividly remember Kiper leafing through his journal at a feverish pace trying to find his evaluation of Harris because he had nothing prepared to say. 🤦‍♂️
In Dallas, change the name to Shante Carver and same thing. Except Jerry traded up to reach that bust.😤

If Wentz turns back into that 2017 MVP caliber talent, sure. If he simply reverts back to that middle tier average or worse QB he was every other year, its not great loss.  Time will tell. 

I don't disagree it was a terrible pick. I didn't like it at the time, and I still don't.  Just saying it didn't set up back years. The overall bad drafting and doubling down on old, oft-injured talent did that.
this

The closer we get to the draft, the more I dread us taking a QB in the first. I think it will be a huge mistake and cause a major distraction right out of the gate for this new coach. 

Take the year to see if Hurts can play. The advantage is he's cheap. So if he's good, low cost. If he's not, nothing lost. 

Cut the guys we know are not going to be here long term and have little value staying on the team. Ertz is a luxury. Cox is on the down turn. BG I might bring back if he restructured but otherwise thanks for your time.

Don't get rid of guys that can help us though. Lane and Brooks I keep. Run the contract out. At most they're here until 2024 and by then their bodies are done and/or they can move on easier cap wise. 

I don't see the logic in "don't fear taking a QB high again." I look it as don't keep making the same damn problem. Give Hurts pieces to prove if he can play or not. Then we can know going forward what we have. 
I really don't know what to expect here.  Howie loves to chase a sunk cost, so I could see him just sitting in his office and crossing his fingers that Hurts is at least average so that it doesn't look like he chased away a QB who goes on to succeed elsewhere, by picking a QB who it turns out isn't good at all.

The Jermane Mayberry pick is the one that always gets me.  He didn’t have a bad career and had some good stretches but the circumstances always killed me. 

For starters we needed a LBer (don’t we always?) and Rhodes said after missing out on Mobley and Reggie Brown that they just couldn’t pass Mayberry up at 25......the next pick was Ray Lewis
I know Ray Lewis had a great career, but I'd prefer not to have to cheer for the guy who bribed a witness and obstructed the police investigation into a double murder before eventually cooperating (only to avoid the spectacle of a trial).  I had a hard enough time with Vick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep.  Since 2017 they've shown a total inability to realistically evaluate their roster.  They've thrown away draft picks through bad trades and bad picks (like Hurts), overpaid old players who can't stay healthy and basically borrowed from the future to spend unwisely in the present.

Now here we are, with a very thin pipeline of young talent and a lot of expensive players they will be stuck with as they decline because their contracts assume they'll stay productive and healthy into their mid 30s.  

The Jermane Mayberry pick is the one that always gets me.  He didn’t have a bad career and had some good stretches but the circumstances always killed me. 

For starters we needed a LBer (don’t we always?) and Rhodes said after missing out on Mobley and Reggie Brown that they just couldn’t pass Mayberry up at 25......the next pick was Ray Lewis
You could've just said this. I didn't realize Ray Lewis was the next pick. Probably doesn't get talked about a lot since Mayberry was pretty good for us so people will forget the misses a little easier 

Yep. He trusts them almost too much but our media will make you think he’s Jerry Jones on steroids. 
Well, unlike Jerry, Lurie rarely speaks publicly, and people in the FO rarely speak to the media about him, even anonymously, so even after all these years we have very little idea about how he actually runs things. All we can go by are patterns based on past actions and results. 

Well, unlike Jerry, Lurie rarely speaks publicly, and people in the FO rarely speak to the media about him, even anonymously, so even after all these years we have very little idea about how he actually runs things. All we can go by are patterns based on past actions and results. 
Given the amount of time he’s been here I think they’d have something more concrete to go off of too. I can’t see a meddling owner who continuously gives full control to coaches to make personnel decisions. I think every coach except Doug got it while Jerry fired one of the greatest coaches there was because of it and never relinquished power. 

Pip's Invitation said:
I mean only think I can tell you is what I've heard from people. That's take Lurie with a grain of salt about how much involved he is with day personal decisions and day to day stuff on a whole. However it's not Jerry jones level. He has more control and say than what he tells the media and or leads them to believe but it's not over bearing micromanaging Jones has level either 

Bigboy10182000 said:
Given the amount of time he’s been here I think they’d have something more concrete to go off of too. I can’t see a meddling owner who continuously gives full control to coaches to make personnel decisions. I think every coach except Doug got it while Jerry fired one of the greatest coaches there was because of it and never relinquished power. 
Yeah that's why I've heard a few things and haven't put on here because I was thinking, well if true clearly the media would've seen or gotten to this already in this town. No one has seemed to ever talk bad about Lurie either. Every person I've ever run into has nothing but great things to say about the dude. While at the draft I met a guy who use to work Game Staff (The guys in the Red coats and shirts now that are like the ushers at the games in the sections) and he was saying how great Lurie is. Tries to remember everyone on the staff and doesn't think of you too lowly to talk too. WHen Lurie came out before the draft to thank the fans we were in the Front row with this guy and we got to high five Mr Lurie. When he saw this staff member he got really happy, mentioned the dude by name and acted like he was an old friend of his. Really put some respect on Mr Lurie there as an owner. He does do a lot for his staff that goes unmentioned and I think thats just how he wants it. He doesn't want to get recondition for doing what he believes is right to begin with. Mention him when he goes above and beyond that. 

I've heard people say Mark Cuban is the same way with his employees though too. My cousin works in the analytics marketing department for the Miami Heat and has co workers who use to work for the Mavs. Nothing but great things I've heard on Mark Cuban. 

I'm starting to come to package #6, Colts 3rd, next year's first and 3rd for Wilson. Make him our QB for the next 4-5 years and go for it. 

I'm starting to come to package #6, Colts 3rd, next year's first and 3rd for Wilson. Make him our QB for the next 4-5 years and go for it. 
Sea wants 3 1st rounds for him from what I've heard. Might take a godfather NO type proposal to even make SEA think about it from what it sounds like 

Line will get better with Lane and Brooks back. Wilson will elevate the WR corps. Offense will be more stable with a top tier vet at the helm. 

I know it won't happen but it would be nice.
Funny you mention the bold, but mostly because for yrs now the biggest knock on Wilson negatively has been since he came to the league that many of his WRs played better after leaving SEA. Up until they had Tyler Lockett this was a big concern for a lot of Wilson doubters. Not saying I disagree with you just wanted to point this out. 

Line will get better with Lane and Brooks back. Wilson will elevate the WR corps. Offense will be more stable with a top tier vet at the helm. 

Ok.   We gonna have to agree to disagree on this

Unfortunately I have very low confidence in the ability of Brooks and Johnson to stay healthy. 

I think the severity of Lane's ankle problems got a little lost in the disaster that was 2020. 
Agree. I believe the term collapsed was used to refer to the damage in his ankle, which was after multiple surgeries on it. I’m not sure how the Eagles go into ‘21 depending on him at RT. 
Regarding Brooks, 32 yrs old at the start of the season and 2 Achilles in the last 3 years puts him in the same boat. 
TBH both strike me as the type of player that forward thinking franchise would move away from. But other than the failed QB factory nonsense, no one accuses Howie of being forward thinking 🤦‍♂️

Agree. I believe the term collapsed was used to refer to the damage in his ankle, which was after multiple surgeries on it. I’m not sure how the Eagles go into ‘21 depending on him at RT. 
Regarding Brooks, 32 yrs old at the start of the season and 2 Achilles in the last 3 years puts him in the same boat. 
TBH both strike me as the type of player that forward thinking franchise would move away from. But other than the failed QB factory nonsense, no one accuses Howie of being forward thinking 🤦‍♂️
Yeah they should try to move both those guys while they still have some value

I don't think we can cut Lane for a few years anyway, and even a trade (according to spotrac) would COST us 11 mil in cap hit.  A post June 1 trade would save us 9 mil this year, and give us a 21 mil cap hit next year.  Yikes.
I think we're staying with Lane and hope his ankle is healed. It did not sound promising tho.

If the pick isn't one of Chase/Smith or perhaps even Pitts I'm not sure how many snaps of Eagle football will be worth watching this year. This past season was some of the most mundane football I've seen in 20 years and quite frankly I dont want to spend 4 hours on my only day off of the week watching such dysfunction. The rebuilt staff does give me a glimmer of hope that they wont be out of the hunt by mid-November... like most pundits will probably predict.

I don't think we can cut Lane for a few years anyway, and even a trade (according to spotrac) would COST us 11 mil in cap hit.  A post June 1 trade would save us 9 mil this year, and give us a 21 mil cap hit next year.  Yikes.
I think we're staying with Lane and hope his ankle is healed. It did not sound promising tho.
Brutal

If the pick isn't one of Chase/Smith or perhaps even Pitts I'm not sure how many snaps of Eagle football will be worth watching this year. This past season was some of the most mundane football I've seen in 20 years and quite frankly I dont want to spend 4 hours on my only day off of the week watching such dysfunction. The rebuilt staff does give me a glimmer of hope that they wont be out of the hunt by mid-November... like most pundits will probably predict.
Sewell is intriguing to me if he’s there. Run first offense behind a road grating OL while allowing Hurts to develop slowly would be enjoyable for me to watch. 

Yeah they should try to move both those guys while they still have some value
And who's going to play oline? Not to mention they both are on the books for significant cap hits for another 2-3 years. You have to keep some players. Plus we want to get rid of them cause they're injured. You think a team is giving up a high pick for the same reason? We'd get like a 4th or 5th at best for either with the contract and injury history. 

Best we can hope for is they both come back healthy.

Only guy is take over the WRs is Sewell. Never hurts to get the best OT in the draft.

Pitts is intriguing because of his tremendous willingness as a blocker coupled with his ability to dominate most coverage matchups.

One evaluation of Pitts’ blocking

A 12 personnel grouping with him and Goeddert would be very challenging to defend. The opportunity to have him in line as a blocker with the option to flex him wide can potentially create dynamic mismatches and spacing, especially with 2 players like Sanders and Hurts in the backfield. 

Pitts is intriguing because of his tremendous willingness as a blocker coupled with his ability to dominate most coverage matchups.

One evaluation of Pitts’ blocking

A 12 personnel grouping with him and Goeddert would be very challenging to defend. The opportunity to have him in line as a blocker with the option to flex him wide can potentially create dynamic mismatches and spacing, especially with 2 players like Sanders and Hurts in the backfield. 

Yes but if you're taking him at 6, you pretty much need him to become Tony Gonzalez eventually for it to be worth it. There's so many other positions of need that taking TE that high makes no sense. 

Yes but if you're taking him at 6, you pretty much need him to become Tony Gonzalez eventually for it to be worth it. There's so many other positions of need that taking TE that high makes no sense. 
The same can be said for a WR. Chase would need to be Julio. 

Yes but there's 3 to choose from. Better odds. And we don't have a legitimate WR on the team right now. Goeddert has at least shown he's a starter in the league.

I don’t agree on that one.  Doesn’t need to be a generational talent like Julio for the pick to be worth it, just needs to be a top 10 WR who can give you 90/1200/8 consistently.  We haven’t had a player like that for so long, we’ve forgotten how much that changes things.

To me, TE is different though.  For a TE to provide that kind of impact, he has to be Travis Kelce or Darren Waller every year and that is so much less likely to happen.

Yes but there's 3 to choose from. Better odds. And we don't have a legitimate WR on the team right now. Goeddert has at least shown he's a starter in the league.
Chase then Waddle for me.  Think I might pass on Smith at #6.  A guy his size without elite speed?  I dunno, man.  The ceiling is there but I think the floor is too low for me at that spot.

@Eagles: The Eagles are saddened to learn of the passing of Irv Cross.

And I feel guilty for laughing at this comment

@eqloprtntyhtr: @Eagles I was saddened to watch the passing of Carson Wentz last year.

Ash said:
I don’t agree on that one.  Doesn’t need to be a generational talent like Julio for the pick to be worth it, just needs to be a top 10 WR who can give you 90/1200/8 consistently.  We haven’t had a player like that for so long, we’ve forgotten how much that changes things.

To me, TE is different though.  For a TE to provide that kind of impact, he has to be Travis Kelce or Darren Waller every year and that is so much less likely to happen.
You might want to look up the percentage of frequency those stats are accomplished by WRs picked in the top 10 vs WRs picked during the rest of rounds 1-3. WRs are much like RBs in that regard. Unless a guy projects to be a generational AJ Green or Julio type the production curve doesn’t speak to top 10 value. But often a draft stands on its own value wise in that a team must take the best player. I’m drawn to Sewell, Chase and Pitts. IMO they are the 3 players that provide the most value if the Eagles are committed to Hurts this year. Which in turn is a mistake if they sense a QB in this draft is a sure fire franchise QB

@Eagles: The Eagles are saddened to learn of the passing of Irv Cross.

And I feel guilty for laughing at this comment

@eqloprtntyhtr: @Eagles I was saddened to watch the passing of Carson Wentz last year.
Pretty immature of the person. Someone just died not sure if that was really appropriate of the dude. 

Users who are viewing this thread