What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (6 Viewers)

And I just see this from Mike Lombardi:

The Eagles asking price, according to one team source, was ridiculous, laughable, and not worth countering.  Until they lower their expectations, based on the uncertainty of the player and contract, their initial price will never be obtained.
That sounds like they don't really want to trade Wentz.  

I’m just trying to see this from all angles. It’s hard as hell because you don’t know what reports to believe and they change constantly. If this one is true that he is in fact in good and speaking terms with everyone except Howie than he may be back. 

In order to take on a record dead cap hit of 34 million, in a year where the cap is lowered, you are going to want a ton back. Some teams may also want to wait until the draft or FA to see if they get a comparable guy and not have to part with anything. We don’t have the luxury of waiting though. 

If that's the case  I'm cool with them keeping him.

I don't mind the idea of giving Wentz one more year with a new system to see what he has. I don't care that he has a 2nd round draft pick baking him up. I don't care he didn't get the credit for wining the Super Bowl. I want my franchise QB to be able to rise above this kind of stuff and use it for motivation. 

Give him one more year, draft a WR first round and let's see what happens.  If he plays like crap again you know what he is for sure and then blow the whole thing up. 

A top tier QB is so important in the NFL some guys the Trubiskys the Cousins of the world you know will never be that. Wentz has a chance. I hate to have them miss the chance.

Unless you get good compensation back no way I sell for peanuts. 

I don't mind the idea of giving Wentz one more year with a new system to see what he has. I don't care that he has a 2nd round draft pick baking him up. I don't care he didn't get the credit for wining the Super Bowl. I want my franchise QB to be able to rise above this kind of stuff and use it for motivation. 

Give him one more year, draft a WR first round and let's see what happens.  If he plays like crap again you know what he is for sure and then blow the whole thing up. 

A top tier QB is so important in the NFL some guys the Trubiskys the Cousins of the world you know will never be that. Wentz has a chance. I hate to have them miss the chance.

Wentz to me is about the same level of QB that McNabb was without the same level of teammates McNabb had.  

Any chance that the relationship between Ertz and Howie is part of the problem that Wentz has with Howie?
Never thought about that but definitely possible. I’m sure during the benching or something that Howie said something he shouldn’t have or something that a player/coach wouldn’t have and that’s also playing a part. 

Wentz to me is about the same level of QB that McNabb was without the same level of teammates McNabb had.  
That is spot on. 

And if it doesn’t work out or he gets hurt not a single person would defend having him back. 

If he leaves under these circumstances and does well that’s all Hurts or whoever else is starting will ever hear about. It will be like he’s here anyway and god forbid if it’s to a team we play and they beat us. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
In order to take on a record dead cap hit of 34 million, in a year where the cap is lowered, you are going to want a ton back. Some teams may also want to wait until the draft or FA to see if they get a comparable guy and not have to part with anything. We don’t have the luxury of waiting though. 
I haven't really looked into the cap implications of trading him before vs after $10MM roster bonus in March.  What is the benefit of trading him before that date?  If the Eagles wait until after and pay the $10MM bonus, would that make the contract more appealing to a potential trade partner?  So basically, paying $10MM for a better pick in return for Wentz after the bonus?

I haven't really looked into the cap implications of trading him before vs after $10MM roster bonus in March.  What is the benefit of trading him before that date?  If the Eagles wait until after and pay the $10MM bonus, would that make the contract more appealing to a potential trade partner?  So basically, paying $10MM for a better pick in return for Wentz after the bonus?
Benefit is to the Eagles in not having to pay the extra $. Don't think it affects the acquiring team either way (and even if it did, we're already ~$50M over the cap so taking an extra $10M to help facilitate a trade isn't going to happen.) So the longer this goes on, what little leverage the Eagles have gets even smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benefit is to the Eagles in not having to pay the extra $. Don't think it affects the acquiring team either way (and even if it did, we're already ~$50M over the cap so taking an extra $10M to help facilitate a trade isn't going to happen.) So the longer this goes on, what little leverage the Eagles have gets even smaller.
My guess is the dead cap is going to be way to prohibitive for the Eagles to trade Wentz.  In a perfect world, they'd try to rehabilitate him and revisit trading him next offseason if that's the direction they want to go.  

My guess is the dead cap is going to be way to prohibitive for the Eagles to trade Wentz.  In a perfect world, they'd try to rehabilitate him and revisit trading him next offseason if that's the direction they want to go.  
And honestly if you’re Howie and want to keep your job it benefits you to have him return to form. If Wentz or Hurts suck you’re gone regardless. His ONLY path to keeping his job is fixing the guy he spent numerous picks and 100+ million on returning to form. 

If Wentz does well elsewhere even if we get a good return he’ll never live it down. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
Many, including myself, will take the 40 game sample size over the 12 where EVERYONE looked bad. This wasn’t a team that was close and Wentz sank the ship. Everyone was crap and even the coaches.

Think about this...Doug won a SB 3 years ago and didn’t get a single interview for a HC position. He got one request to be an OC. How bad is your reputation for that to happen? Adam Gase and Hue Jackson got other HC’ing jobs  

If Wentz is on good terms with everyone including Lurie and Siranni as the reports suggest than Wentz may be back. I’m wondering if Lurie told Wentz they would look for a deal but only if it works out in our favor. If this report is true there’s a chance he’s back 

Hurts had the support of Sanders and Reagor
just so much drama with this team though. i wonder if it is because of the Philly media and the fanbase love for the team, or if other teams have similar situations. 

in my opinion, i am significantly lower on Wentz, until he says something/anything that we can understand what his point of view is. you would think with all of this media attn he would at least have his agent put out a statement that is like 1-2 sentences. i think not hearing a peep from him is not good at all.

and that is kind of funny with Doug and comparing him to Gase. will be interesting if Doug ever gets back in to a similar position or where he ends up. a SB winner over Brady should have him some kind of support. My guess is he didn't have a ton of interviews because he probably told a lot of teams he wants to take some time off after this horrendous year

Wooderson said:

i kind of agree with this idea, but the biggest problem is that if he fizzles out again we won't get anything to trade him. I know the salary attached to him is tricky too (where i think if he makes it past March 3rd, his 2022 salary is guaranteed or something). 

i kind of agree with this idea, but the biggest problem is that if he fizzles out again we won't get anything to trade him. I know the salary attached to him is tricky too (where i think if he makes it past March 3rd, his 2022 salary is guaranteed or something). 
Right if we get a good offer take it. But I just don't want to give him away. 

No. We’d save an additional 10 million and the cap would most likely rise quite a bit. 
With that info - Maybe they should just keep him. From the reports, seems like Eagles brass wants a kings ransom which only a horrific organization would pay (bears are involved so you never know). 

Wentz was worst starting qb in the nfl last year not name Dwayne Haskins - but he was solid in years prior.  I would think the Eagles would have to do what Rams did with Goff - give up an asset for someone to take the horrid contract.

Why not just go with him on roster another year. From an objective point of view the team is not good. Their great players are aging. See if they can make one more run at an east title before blowing it up completely and spending a bit on cap purgatory during the rebuild.

Some nice depth at positions of need so a trade down would be wise. Pick up a CB or OL on way down. 

Why not just go with him on roster another year.
That ship has sailed. He doesn't want to be here and short of firing Howie and making Wentz player/coach, nothing is going to change his mind. Keeping him when he doesn't want to be here not only means more money wasted but also more drama (potential holdouts, pouting, press leaks) that will guarantee you get even less than whatever you can get now. 

That ship has sailed. He doesn't want to be here and short of firing Howie and making Wentz player/coach, nothing is going to change his mind. Keeping him when he doesn't want to be here not only means more money wasted but also more drama (potential holdouts, pouting, press leaks) that will guarantee you get even less than whatever you can get now. 
Honestly if it’s just that he hates Howie than that will endear him more to the fans IMO. That and winning and looking good. 

The Noid said:
I wonder if, them being leaders/vets and all, maybe they were saying those things to try and keep the team together and boost morale? The motivation behind it might have been more to prevent the death spiral a fractured locker room can create. Wentz was still on the team and could have been re-inserted at any point (due to a Hurts injury or poor performance.)

So it's like that situation where a friend just broke up with their significant other but it's still too early to give them your "real" thoughts or even agree with any of the bad things they are ranting about because if you do, and they get back together in a week, it will be really awkward between you and your friend. 
Interesting take. Just had a co worker who broke up with his GF (She broke up with him School/Work etc issues) but his friends recently told him they didn't like her.  Issues she had being part of his friends group etc. He was telling me his friends are an extension of him and like his family it's important they like her too and he wished they had said something to him sooner. So I can see that working both ways. 

Snorkelson said:
I’m interested to see where he ends up. You guys can argue wentz talent all day but that oline will make any qb look bad. I also don’t understand the foles talk- wouldn’t they be starting hurts and foles backing up if that happened? I guess I was under the impression that hurts played well, I didn’t watch any eagles games though. Probably moot as that sounds like Twitter rumor, but trying to figure out if eagles will then be in the market for a vet. 
Hurts had some decent moments but was pretty pedestrian overall. @Bigboy10182000did some stats breakdown of Hurts starts that you can find in the 2019 Season Thread link towards the end of the year. 1st half and 2nd half splits. His 2nd half was almost as bad as Carson's first half's were. By the end of the year Hurts had pretty pedestrian #s. Nothing to really brag about. Some fans were overrating Hurts because "he made the team fun to watch again" (Yes I'm dead serious) and thats probably where you got some of those opinions at. Then you had the "well he played well for a rookie considering no offseason and it was better then Wentz." and then the usual "he's a rookie" rhetoric. Per a few of my sources who have deeper sources in the Organization there's way more Support of Keeping Wentz then there is Hurts supporters thinking he's the guy now or even in the future. However it seems ultimately up to Carson at this point to stay. If Hurts had more support within the Organization then I'd have said Carson is 100% gone by now no matter what package they got for him. 

This isn't to say Hurts can't improve but his numbers and the starts he had don't suggest a very bright future plus what I've seen from college at both Alabama and Oklahoma. We get killed in the ARZ game if Alshon gets called for 3 of those 4 OPI's. They were pretty blatant and Patrick Patterson was looking at the officials like WTF am I suppose to do? We lose the NO game if Brees plays but if not Hill missed a wide-open guy in the EZ and a possession Will lutz missed one of the 2 FGs he missed that game (rarity by him) a guy dropped a pass that could've maybe lead to a TD or Closer FG in the end. Hurts played well that first half of that game but was pedestrian the 2nd half when NO started to adjust. Hurts biggest issues is he needs IMHO guys around him that have talent and then you need to scheme a system for him. In the NFL eventually teams will figure it out. He also made ZERO throws inside the hashes. Everything he threw was mostly towards the sidelines, nothing over the middle even check downs. He has a poor arm strength wise as well. Per another link Big sent which had his scouting report to summarize Hurts this year, HE PLAYED TO HIS SCOUTING REPORT which is a day 3 project QB pick. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
I’m just trying to see this from all angles. It’s hard as hell because you don’t know what reports to believe and they change constantly. If this one is true that he is in fact in good and speaking terms with everyone except Howie than he may be back. 

I wish we had a DH type source here again. At least with McNabb we had the scoop from day 1 what was going on. I can't get anything from Dino now as he's not involved other then maybe some of Doug's relationships with players and coaches (I doubt he'd tell me that and may wait on that one for awhile). Haven't seen our security guy camera's wise in awhile and the only time I get anything from him is when he's at the store so maybe (hoping) one random day he's in and we can talk and maybe I can get more there. Everyone else at this point seems quite as many of the media talking heads are just going in circles repeating themselves now. 

Wooderson said:

Thats my thought right now. I'd give him one more year new system. Hate to trade a guy and he ends up being our Version of the Phillies Sandberg deal. If I can't get the exact value trade wise I want for Carson he's staying and like suggested maybe thats what Lurie told Wentz.

roarlions said:
Any chance that the relationship between Ertz and Howie is part of the problem that Wentz has with Howie?
Possible but everyone knows Ertz is getting up there in age and not the same player he was before. No way he's getting the contract he wants either

Darnold I have mixed reactions. A part of me says Former USC QB outside of Leinart none of them have performed anywhere close to what they should at NFL level. Other part of me says "well it was Adam Gase as his coach so maybe there is something with Darnold. He's just as much of an unknown 
Do you mean Carson Palmer, because Leinart was not a good pro?

just so much drama with this team though. i wonder if it is because of the Philly media and the fanbase love for the team, or if other teams have similar situations. 

in my opinion, i am significantly lower on Wentz, until he says something/anything that we can understand what his point of view is. you would think with all of this media attn he would at least have his agent put out a statement that is like 1-2 sentences. i think not hearing a peep from him is not good at all.

and that is kind of funny with Doug and comparing him to Gase. will be interesting if Doug ever gets back in to a similar position or where he ends up. a SB winner over Brady should have him some kind of support. My guess is he didn't have a ton of interviews because he probably told a lot of teams he wants to take some time off after this horrendous year
Thats what I was thinking here. 

I have no issue with Wentz not talking. Maybe I or agent say something by now but at this point why say anything when you know the media will twist whatever you just said to fit their agenda?

Do you mean Carson Palmer, because Leinart was not a good pro?
LOL yeah I meant Palmer. I had Leinart in my head because I had a buddy with me who for some god forsaken reason has a Leinart Cardinals Jersey (Don't ask me why). Palmer people forget was great till he tore his knee vs Pittsburgh. Really had high hopes for that guy in general. 

The media and fans would throw him a parade if he got Howie fired 
And look, if he started off crappy the boo’s are going to come anyway and have for years. They’re not gonna be extra special ones. Just look good and get some wins and he’ll be back in everyone’s good graces. Howie needs this too. He can’t end up trading a guy, who could look good elsewhere and than rely on Hurts to save his job. If that’s the road he takes he’s 100% fired this year and may not make it through the season. If Doug and Wentz are gone the bullseye is right on him. There’s no one to blame. 

WFT has had this level of drama and more every year since Snyder bought it; it was less this year because of Rivera and no Allen, but they still had the Haskins fiasco. Same with the Browns and Haslam and the Jets and the Johnsons. Houston's organizational dysfunction right now dwarfs ours. 

And look, if he started off crappy the boo’s are going to come anyway and have for years. They’re not gonna be extra special ones. Just look good and get some wins and he’ll be back in everyone’s good graces. Howie needs this too. He can’t end up trading a guy, who could look good elsewhere and than rely on Hurts to save his job. If that’s the road he takes he’s 100% fired this year and may not make it through the season. If Doug and Wentz are gone the bullseye is right on him. There’s no one to blame. 
I honestly wonder what it would take for Howie to be fired at this point.  He’s been legitimately bad at his job by any measure I can think of for 3 years.  I expect the team to bounce back a bit this year from regression to the mean if nothing else.  Well, that’s improvement!  And we’re rebuilding!  And Howie does all these other things, not just the things we can see.

This could go on for years, really.

I honestly wonder what it would take for Howie to be fired at this point.  He’s been legitimately bad at his job by any measure I can think of for 3 years.  I expect the team to bounce back a bit this year from regression to the mean if nothing else.  Well, that’s improvement!  And we’re rebuilding!  And Howie does all these other things, not just the things we can see.

This could go on for years, really.
It might take a campaign from the fans like it did in Washington to get rid of Allen. And that didn't happen until ticket and merch sales went way down. We're not anywhere near that. 

Interesting take. Just had a co worker who broke up with his GF (She broke up with him School/Work etc issues) but his friends recently told him they didn't like her.  Issues she had being part of his friends group etc. He was telling me his friends are an extension of him and like his family it's important they like her too and he wished they had said something to him sooner. So I can see that working both ways. 
That’s all good, unless she’s hot.  At that point, all bets are off.  Hot girlfriends Trump ugly friends.

😎

“The Bears & the Colts I can tell you are NOT the only teams that have called on Wentz. I can say there’s at least 2 or 3 other teams that have called” - @AdamSchefter on @975JKShow

Depends on how he played and who's agenda has what IMHO. The worst part of this towns Journalists (if you want to call em that as many are more like TMZ these days) is that many come with an agenda from Mike Kaye to Jeff McLane, Mark Eckel and some others. Domowitch was this way for yrs on DeSean Jackson and many couldn't tell why he had such hatred of the guy. However when the hit piece on gang ties came out Dom was one of if not the first to call BS on it. Very few in this town who report what they hear and then give their own take on it. Then you got the radio personalities like Mikey Miss, Angelo, Gigilo etc who have an agenda. Mix it all together and it become one highly poisonous concoction. 

QBs shouldn't throw teammates under the bus and I went after Cam Newton for yrs doing this. I mean the dude at Florida when Tebow was there tried to pull the race card on the coaching on why he wasn't starting. However definitely a time to go after teammates. Probably wouldn't have called them out publicly in the SB but definitely at the very least if I was Mahomes spoken up at Halftime and told these guys to get their asses out of their heads.  

- He was one of the worst at his position last year

- Aside from 2017, he wasn't even special in other years

- Several players and coaches don't like him

- Hes a big part of the downfall of the team

- He has failed in most major job areas

WHO AM I? 

TRADE HOWIE ROSEMAN, #Eagles

Other teams: "We want him for a Jared Goff like package"

Eagles: "We want that Stafford package"

No doubt that's what has went on. Should be interesting what happens. Like the Lions, Philly is smart doing the trade talks with Wentz NOW....while Texans dragging feet on Watson, uncertainly with many QB spots around league, and the draft still to come.

So I have been on the side that I wanted this Carson thing to be over quickly but listening to sports radio while driving a bit and I think I feel the opposite. I think these sports media guys on the radio may have their head’s explode waiting and trying to break this first. David Montgomery tweeted he likes Chicago and they spend 20-30 minutes thinking a trade has happened 

Users who are viewing this thread