What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (4 Viewers)

G-King said:
I’m basing it being the top destination also on Herbert, Keenan, Derwin James, Bosa, Ekeler solid LB crew, etc. 
As far as the Eagles, I know you are well aware of the control issues of upper management and the fight over which underachieving QB is going to start. That definitely is a turn off to potential coaching options. And yes, the media and a lot of fans (see in this thread) in that town are relentlessly unappreciative of any thing a coach does. They helped run a Super Bowl winning one out of town (and maybe it was time) but what do you think they will do when the next Vince Lombardi comes in and goes 7-9 two seasons in a row? My opinion is that head coaches are not kicking down Howie the Greats door to lay in that guillotine. Maybe change is coming? Lurie is a helluva good owner, maybe he gives a coach total control and gets the right guy. The players deserve it and so do the fans.

Bigboy10182000 said:
You based it on much more than the talent you now mention. 

Not aware of any upper management issues with which QB to start. There was a time that maybe was an issue and that was like a month ago. By all accounts and purposes everyone seems to agree it’s Wentz 

Yes, we do not appreciate when someone does a terrible job. Coaches, like players, work on a limited amount of equity at this level. 

And you’re not paying attention. The total control or requesting it is what DOESNT work here. Andy had it and couldn’t handle it, Chip did the same and Doug wanted more as well. And who knows who wants to come here and who doesn’t?
I think LA would be a lot more desirable to some coaches, and a lot less to others.   It takes a special coach to want to come to Philly.  At the end of the day, I'm not sure if the weather, subway, or natural disasters really matter much at all. 

If you're going on situation/power/control, that is up for debate and depends on how Howie/Lurie handle the new coach.

I think you're underrating the importance of a young franchise QB though.. I think that's THE #1 factor in making a team attractive, and unfortunately, I think the Chargers have us beat on that one right now (And Herbert is my least fave player in the entire league)

I think you're underrating the importance of a young franchise QB though.. I think that's THE #1 factor in making a team attractive,
And this is where it’s subjective IMO. You could interview 5 HC candidates and depending on scheme and what they see get 5 separate answers on who they’d rather have. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-head-coaching-vacancies-examining-top-candidates-2020

i just found this and it was obviously written before the Pederson vacancy, but I would agree with the order. I feel like Philly would come in just above or below Atlanta- depending on a few circumstances. Hard to argue with some of the talent on that team, and of course Matty Ryan would be a big decision also. 
Ya I'd put Philly in 4th.

And this is where it’s subjective IMO. You could interview 5 HC candidates and depending on scheme and what they see get 5 separate answers on who they’d rather have. 
Possibly.  As much as I hate Herbert and love Wentz, I think most coaches would rather Herbert though.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-head-coaching-vacancies-examining-top-candidates-2020

i just found this and it was obviously written before the Pederson vacancy, but I would agree with the order. I feel like Philly would come in just above or below Atlanta- depending on a few circumstances. Hard to argue with some of the talent on that team, and of course Matty Ryan would be a big decision also. 

Ya I'd put Philly in 4th.

Possibly.  As much as I hate Herbert and love Wentz, I think most coaches would rather Herbert though.
4th like below the Jets 4th? 

4th like below the Jets 4th? 
Yes.  It's not crazy.  This article puts the Jets at 3rd and Eagles at 7th.  I think it has us too low, but this is not a top 3 job with what's out there this year.  The fact that you think we're the 2nd most desirable job is crazy to me.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/nfl-head-coaching-vacancies-ranked-jaguars-chargers/10f3tou6jqqzm162yvm6i38y8g

Some other ones: 

This has us 4th
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/nate-davis/2021/01/11/nfl-2021-seven-head-coaching-jobs-ranked-eagles-jaguars-chargers/6628065002/

This has us 5th
https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/01/ranking-eagles-head-coaching-vacancy-among-other-nfl-openings-is-it-the-most-appealing-job.html

This has us 6th
https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/01/the-eagles-head-coach-job-is-not-desirable.html

I can't find a single list that has us in the top 3.

G-King said:
no one cares? Not one fan? Really? Like they black out Chargers games? I’m not taking cheap shots, but some of your absolutes are a bit outlandish. “No fans, everyone walks around with nose in the air, earthquakes and wildfires.” Come on, YOU should be better than that. Don’t ruin your reputation for mostly very informative inside information on your team with generalized nonsensical accusations of others which you know nothing about. 😉
I have friends in who Live in LA and my best friend she's married to a Chargers fan from SD. This isn't baseless accusations. Most people in California don't care about the Chargers or Rams. A lot of the people who do care are transplants and or celebs who go to games just to have the tabloids writing about them unless you are Jack who's been a huge Lakers fan for yrs now. My point is there's more passionate cities sports Wise then LA.  I also had a friend who works as a big time manager for the Whole Foods out there who was evacuated and displaced do to the wildfires and a mudslide. They may have to return home do to the cost of living in California now as well. So my claims aren't baseless. I'm going off of what people have told me. I also had a cousin who lived in SF for awhile and traveled to LA a lot. Its terrible and he's super glad his companies parent location he was able to move SEA and get away from the California. The time he would've spent on the road he gets to spend with his girlfriend now doing stuff had they lived in Cali wouldn't be able to since he had to cancel a ton of times on her  

ProstheticRGK said:
me personally, I wouldn't consider living in Los Angeles unless I was making huge baller money. And, I'd snap up the Philly job in a heartbeat, but I doubt I'll get an interview.

But, my man, take off the homer glasses for a minute. LA is a much bigger draw than Philly for almost everyone else in the history of everyone.
I'm not saying LA isn't great. I have friends out there but you literally need to be making huge money to want to go there. Also if you want to GO to LA because of media then thats fine but I'd personally rather coach or play for a team where people won't accept avg and fill the stadiums. Not stadiums that are filled 60-75% of the away teams fans that it feels like you play on the road every game. 

Yes.  It's not crazy.  This article puts the Jets at 3rd and Eagles at 7th.  I think it has us too low, but this is not a top 3 job with what's out there this year.  The fact that you think we're the 2nd most desirable job is crazy to me.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/news/nfl-head-coaching-vacancies-ranked-jaguars-chargers/10f3tou6jqqzm162yvm6i38y8g

Some other ones: 

This has us 4th
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/nate-davis/2021/01/11/nfl-2021-seven-head-coaching-jobs-ranked-eagles-jaguars-chargers/6628065002/

This has us 5th
https://www.nj.com/eagles/2021/01/ranking-eagles-head-coaching-vacancy-among-other-nfl-openings-is-it-the-most-appealing-job.html

This has us 6th
https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/01/the-eagles-head-coach-job-is-not-desirable.html

I can't find a single list that has us in the top 3.
I'd put the Eagles at 4 or 5 on those lists, depending how you feel about the Falcons.  The Lions peak at average 2 or 3 years out of 10 and the Texans are an absolute cluster#### with no draft capital.  Both those situations have poor ownership IMO.

Not saying you can't get a great candidate, but when the owner is on record as saying the team needs a multi-year rebuild and the teflon GM isn't held accountable by the owner and is involved in his 3rd coaching hire, I'd be cautious. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd put the Eagles at 4 or 5 on those lists, depending how you feel about the Falcons.  The Lions peak at average 2 or 3 years out of 10 and the Texans are an absolute cluster#### with no draft capital.

Not saying you can't get a great candidate, but when the owner is on record as saying the team needs a multi-year rebuild and the teflon GM isn't held accountable by the owner and is involved in his 3rd coaching hire, I'd be cautious. 
Agree.  I have us tied with the Falcons for 4th.

I think LA would be a lot more desirable to some coaches, and a lot less to others.   It takes a special coach to want to come to Philly.  At the end of the day, I'm not sure if the weather, subway, or natural disasters really matter much at all. 

If you're going on situation/power/control, that is up for debate and depends on how Howie/Lurie handle the new coach.

I think you're underrating the importance of a young franchise QB though.. I think that's THE #1 factor in making a team attractive, and unfortunately, I think the Chargers have us beat on that one right now (And Herbert is my least fave player in the entire league)
Can you explain why you don't like him? Thats a little weird when you got guys like Karem Hunt and Myles Garret playing. 

I might put us ahead of ATL but I could see us behind ATL. Their issues is they are similar with Cap and they have a QB who right now is getting by on his name recognition. No real young starter waiting in the Wings. They got some nice offensive pieces including Ridley but Julio isn't a spring chicken either. The only good thing of ATL with that Ryan situation is if they let the HC choose who the next QB is. 

1.  I'm a Beavers fan and hate all things Duck related.
2.  He has the most punchable face in the league.
3.  He was a Duck.
4.  He's quite douchey.
5.  He went to Oregon.
Half of those reasons are why I hate McSorely. Just switch the team to PSU SEC fan in B1G country and it's the same. 

I wouldn't put the Jags at #1 though, after the owner's comments on how he will have final say on all personnel decisions, and the way the handled the Yannick Ngokwe situation.  Jets / Chargers, then Jags at 3.

I wouldn't put the Jags at #1 though, after the owner's comments on how he will have final say on all personnel decisions, and the way the handled the Yannick Ngokwe situation.  Jets / Chargers, then Jags at 3.
Really?  Even with those comments, you get a nice place to live and a once in a decade type QB.  Easy #1 for me.  If you love Fields then I could see the Jets up there even pushing the Chargers for 2nd.  But Jax and LAC are the easy top 2 choices for me... lots of cap room, warm cities, and very clear, very young franchise qb's.  Those are great spots.

Jeff Skversky· 

While Eagles GM Howie Roseman is publicly taking heat for failed draft picks & signings, my understanding is Roseman drafted & made decisions based on Doug Pederson & his staff’s preferences, scheme & fit

In Justin Jefferson’s case #Eagles scouts & Roseman preferred Jefferson

There was no denying Justin Jefferson’s talent coming out of college but Eagles coaches viewed him more as a slot WR & there was fit concerns with Eagles 2 TE sets, so they went with Jalen Reagor who has outside speed & who they’re still high on but was sidetracked with injuries

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie alluded to this multiple times, decisions were made in short term to win now

“There was a lot of short-term decision-making and allocation of resources that gave us probably a slightly better chance to go back to the Super Bowl in 2018 and 2019”

Lurie also talked about taking deeper dive into why decisions were made the way they were

JEFFREY LURIE: I think you've really got to look at the big picture of have you analyzed every single draft pick and street free agent and everybody? Have you compared it to other teams? Have you compared it to other successful teams and do they have two-, three-year drop-offs with less volume? Are the picks that you're talking about seen in the long run or just in a one-year period? There's a lot to look at. I'm not disagreeing with anything. I'm just saying you've got to really look at it.

Seattle … you take whichever organization you want and look at it over a multi-year period, you're going to see highs and lows of drafting, you're going to see highs and lows of free-agent acquisition, and you’re going to have to make your own determination of do they have the right people in the building? Is that two years of not having good first-round picks, is that related to people in the building or is that because the two players that they actually were going to draft got taken just before and they are All-Pro players in the league? I have to be much more in-depth and complex about the analysis.

Luckily for me, I sit there and I get to see exactly what took place and takes place. Maybe someday I'll write a book about it but you can't really talk publicly about what could have been and all that. There are mistakes made and they have to be improved, corrected, and I expect us to have that success. We've certainly had the success on the field that has to be in every aspect of the organization.

I'm not somebody who is very satisfied. My personality is, even when we are winning, we can do a lot better. My message to Jim Schwartz after we won the Super Bowl was, ‘Wow, that was not a good defensive performance in that game. It was great against the Vikings and Falcons.’

But again, my personality is I want to win badly. I want to win more Lombardis for Philadelphia and our fans. We have got the greatest fans around. I will do anything possible, and if it means making any change necessary, I will.

6abc Action News

Really?  Even with those comments, you get a nice place to live and a once in a decade type QB.  Easy #1 for me.  If you love Fields then I could see the Jets up there even pushing the Chargers for 2nd.  But Jax and LAC are the easy top 2 choices for me... lots of cap room, warm cities, and very clear, very young franchise qb's.  Those are great spots.
Who wants to be the next iteration of the guys who got told to draft Johnny Manziel?  QBs are never guaranteed either.  I don't follow CFB so have seen very little of any of them, but history says of the 4 people say are Top 10 picks, 2 will be average to bad. Doesn't always go in draft order either.

Who wants to be the next iteration of the guys who got told to draft Johnny Manziel?  QBs are never guaranteed either.  I don't follow CFB so have seen very little of any of them, but history says of the 4 people say are Top 10 picks, 2 will be average to bad. Doesn't always go in draft order either.
Lawrence isn't Johnny.  He's maybe the best QB prospect outside of Luck and Elway, of all time.  Lawrence is not going to bust.

One of the few Staff decisions Doug got right 

@RobMaaddi

I'm told by 2 people with direct knowledge of the situation that Doug Pederson stood up for Frank Reich when management wanted to fire him as OC after the 2016 season. Reich stayed, #Eagles won the Super Bowl the next season and the #Colts hired him away as head coach.

6:57 PM · Jan 12, 2021·Twitter Web App

@RobMaaddi

I'm told by 2 people with direct knowledge of the situation that Doug Pederson stood up for Frank Reich when management wanted to fire him as OC after the 2016 season. Reich stayed, #Eagles won the Super Bowl the next season and the #Colts hired him away as head coach.

John McMullen

@JFMcMullen

#Eagles were seriously cosidering elevating John DeFilippo at the time.

@RobMaaddi

Nice try, Doug. 

Well he seems to have turned Trubisky's career around.
Not buying the Trubisky stuff. Mitch looks like a dude whos always gonna be inconsistent. Doesn't mean the dude isn't a good coach just was able to coach him to be consistent enough for this year. I think CHI needs to move on from both QBs, find a stop gap for a year or 2, draft a guy next year and let said QB play when ready 

And I can’t think is anything the Jets have better than us besides the 2nd overall pick. 
Joe Douglas and Doug are pretty close I've heard so I can see him going there but I don't see the Jets having much either. Douglas didn't impress me especially if he was the one who decided on taking guys like Sidney Jones, Pumphrey, etc etc. 

Lawrence isn't Johnny.  He's maybe the best QB prospect outside of Luck and Elway, of all time.  Lawrence is not going to bust.
Wasn't comparing those two players, just making the point about what happens when owners start meddling in decisions.  Even if Lawrence doesn't bust, he might turn out to be just pretty good as well, like Matt Stafford.

Guys like David Carr and Sam Bradford were considered can't miss future stars as well.  Not saying he won't be good / great, just that there's no guarantees.

Joe Douglas and Doug are pretty close I've heard so I can see him going there but I don't see the Jets having much either. Douglas didn't impress me especially if he was the one who decided on taking guys like Sidney Jones, Pumphrey, etc etc. 
I was curious to see how this shook out. If Douglas passes on Doug that’s pretty telling right?

And I can’t think is anything the Jets have better than us besides the 2nd overall pick. 
More control of the roster
An abundance of draft capital (4 first round picks in the next 2 years)
The second-best cap situation in the league (2nd only to Jax)
A well-respected GM
2nd Overall pick (Justin Fields?)

Wasn't comparing those two players, just making the point about what happens when owners start meddling in decisions.  Even if Lawrence doesn't bust, he might turn out to be just pretty good as well, like Matt Stafford.

Guys like David Carr and Sam Bradford were considered can't miss future stars as well.  Not saying he won't be good / great, just that there's no guarantees.
I think with Lawrence it's pretty much a guarantee he will be a pro-bowler though.  I'd put it above 95% barring injury.  I don't remember Carr or Bradford having remotely close to this much hype and "can't miss" potential.

Our owner meddles in our decisions too though.  And we have a GM who will be in charge of the drafting, not the coach.

A well-respected GM
What do you mean more control over the roster? That well respected GM was on the hot seat just this past year for his moves. 

The draft capital is there and who knows how they use the cap. Their roster is one of the few that’s worse than ours as well. They’re bad and have been bad for a long, long time. 

What do you mean more control over the roster? That well respected GM was on the hot seat just this past year for his moves. 

The draft capital is there and who knows how they use the cap. Their roster is one of the few that’s worse than ours as well. They’re bad and have been bad for a long, long time. 
4 first round picks is huge.  As is the cap room... they have a TON of it. 

As for more control, we don't know how much they'll give the new coach, but he'll certainly have more reign of his draft than the Eagles coach will.  Howie isn't letting that go.

Either way, you're welcome to your opinion.  But the OVERWHELMING opinion around the league and from analysts, is that the Jets gig is more attractive than ours.

This is what I was alluding to earlier. Lurie is in there and knows who’s calling for who. I’m not giving Howie a pass but I’m sure there’s cases where he wanted a superior player only to be overruled by coaches. When Lurie chuckled and said something like “maybe I’ll write a book some day” it led me to believe this was the case. 
I loved Howie before but he definitely should be gone but I think this is one of those cases where Howie should be commended on. It sounds like from everything Howie and Doug butted heads. Howie taking from his Kelly experience decided to try and be the bigger person and give Doug and his staff a few things they wanted hoping to smooth over relations even if Howie wanted a different guy instead. In the long run it didn't work. I'm starting to think the coaching staff stuff was more of Howie and Jeff trying to save Pederson from himself too. 

I was curious to see how this shook out. If Douglas passes on Doug that’s pretty telling right?
I would think that would be. A lot are thinking now that Doug is free he might be the Jets #1 guy but what if Doug passes on the job or if Douglas passes on Doug? Those are both pretty telling IMHO. 

4 first round picks is huge.  As is the cap room... they have a TON of it. 

As for more control, we don't know how much they'll give the new coach, but he'll certainly have more reign of his draft than the Eagles coach will.  Howie isn't letting that go.

Either way, you're welcome to your opinion.  But the OVERWHELMING opinion around the league and from analysts, is that the Jets gig is more attractive than ours.
Those guys are just journalists. The same ones that made Gase, Chip etc gurus. They’re not involved in the league past that nor are they analysts even. They’re us basically lol

Those guys are just journalists. The same ones that made Gase, Chip etc gurus. They’re not involved in the league past that nor are they analysts even. They’re us basically lol
Sure, but there's merit in what they say.  More cap, More picks, potentially less locker room/FO drama, easier media to deal with (which seems crazy since they're NYC).... C'mon man, their situation is better.  It is what it is.

I loved Howie before but he definitely should be gone but I think this is one of those cases where Howie should be commended on. It sounds like from everything Howie and Doug butted heads. Howie taking from his Kelly experience decided to try and be the bigger person and give Doug and his staff a few things they wanted hoping to smooth over relations even if Howie wanted a different guy instead. In the long run it didn't work. I'm starting to think the coaching staff stuff was more of Howie and Jeff trying to save Pederson from himself too. 
Yeah and it’s tough to discuss without actually knowing. 

I do not subscribe to the theory that Howie is here strictly because he’s friends with Lurie though. This is a billionaire who didn’t make his money by being emotionally attached to someone like Howie. Lurie’s presser did give a little insight and he did imply that there was much more than what we think. 

Regardless its put up or shut up for Howie this year. Fix the mess with the cap and get some high level players in here. I’m done with him and the hidden messages. 

A well-respected GM
Our cap situation will be fine in 2022, assuming we dont try to run it back. We just have to make the hard cuts this year.

A well-respected GM
This is why.

Sure, but there's merit in what they say.  More cap, More picks, potentially less locker room/FO drama, easier media to deal with (which seems crazy since they're NYC).... C'mon man, their situation is better.  It is what it is.
It’s the Jets. Team is awful, GM on the hot seat, owner accused of racist and sexist  comments, decades of being awful and they 100% have worse media.  You won’t find a worse media in the country. That’s why I call ours NY jr all the time lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I'd take the Jets too. I think its more how bad the Eagles situation is, no way around being bad next year.  We can rebuild, but they have to get their crap together.

It’s the Jets. Team is awful, GM on the hot seat, owner accused of racist and sexist  comments, decades of being awful and they 100% have worse media.  You won’t find a worse media in the country. That’s why I call ours NY jr all the time lol
Well again, the majority of people disagree with you and there's a reason for it.

It doesn't matter and isn't a huge knock on us just cause they have a more attractive spot for a coach.  Hopefully they just take Doug and that means we don't lose out on a coach to them.

Users who are viewing this thread