What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (6 Viewers)

After the year he had, and his age, I think we'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder. 
Or, maybe nothing.

As for what the Eagles can get in return for Ertz via trade, I wouldn't hold out hope for much, if anything. To begin, the team has no leverage, in that the rest of the league already knows that the Eagles have to make difficult choices before the start of the new league year, which is simultaneously (a) the deadline to be cap compliant and (b) the time at which trades are permitted once again. In other words, a release would help the Eagles get under the cap by the deadline, but a trade would not.

But beyond that point, Ertz's value isn't even particularly high at the moment anyway. He's 30 years old, he just had his worst season as a pro, he now has a pretty extensive injury history, and (as noted already) his base salary in 2021 is going to be $8,250,000 in a year in which the salary cap is going to be around $30-$40 million less than was projected, pre-COVID.

#JimmyVerdict: Go. And the Eagles probably won't even get anything for him in return. I do think there's a scenario in which Howie Roseman keeps Ertz around on the stubborn belief that he can extract a draft pick from some other team, the rest of the NFL calls his bluff, and an already bad situation only gets worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
the Eagles have to make difficult choices before the start of the new league year, which is simultaneously (a) the deadline to be cap compliant and (b) the time at which trades are permitted once again. In other words, a release would help the Eagles get under the cap by the deadline, but a trade would not.
This is really the key point. Because of our cap issues we may need to release him to get the needed cap relief. We might not be able to "afford" to keep him into the new league year to even try and trade him. And if they think they won't get much, if anything, might as well release him to get the cap space early. 

And I think they learned their lesson from trying to hold on to Alshon last year for a chance to get something for him and it back-fired, as we got stuck dragging him (and his full contract) along on the roster the entire year. 

This is really the key point. Because of our cap issues we may need to release him to get the needed cap relief. We might not be able to "afford" to keep him into the new league year to even try and trade him. And if they think they won't get much, if anything, might as well release him to get the cap space early. 

And I think they learned their lesson from trying to hold on to Alshon last year for a chance to get something for him and it back-fired, as we got stuck dragging him (and his full contract) along on the roster the entire year. 
Yeah that really is a key point. I didn’t read the entire article but did Jimmy mention how a cut would I factor into a comp pick?

No way in hell
For some reason I didn’t realize he was that old either. I would have guessed 28’ish

Yeah that really is a key point. I didn’t read the entire article but did Jimmy mention how a cut would I factor into a comp pick?
Don't get comp picks for released players, only for players who have a contract expire that sign elsewhere. So we would have to keep him for his last remaining contract year in 2021, not re-sign him, and then he would count toward a possible comp pick. 

We weren't able to cut Alshon last year. The cap hit would have greatly exceeded the savings - it was always either a trade or hold with him.

Amazing how much of a hole these bad contracts put us in. If we hadn't foolishly extended Wentz, Alshon, and Djax - we'd have space to be players in the Watson sweepstakes.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that Wentz wants out. Unlike Deshaun Watson - teams aren't going to be in a bidding war.  You'll have 4-5 QB's go in the 1st round. Watson and Stafford both available. Andy Dalton, Trubisky, Cam Newton all floating around for free.  Who the heck is going to trade anything of value for Wentz? He tanked his value as much as I've ever seen this past year.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter that Wentz wants out. Unlike Deshaun Watson - teams aren't going to be in a bidding war.  You'll have 4-5 QB's go in the 1st round. Watson and Stafford both available. Andy Dalton, Trubisky, Cam Newton all floating around for free.  Who the heck is going to trade anything of value for Wentz? He tanked his value as much as I've ever seen this past year.
Which means we're probably getting them both back for this year at least. They'll see who's worth keeping after the season and trade the other. Wentz' value should go up next off-season just by virtue of less QBs available. 

Yea, I think they're both back. Honestly more of a trade market for Hurts, and unless we're one the peeps taking a QB in the first, we need him as insurance.

Yea, I think they're both back. Honestly more of a trade market for Hurts, and unless we're one the peeps taking a QB in the first, we need him as insurance.
Hurts is absolutely the more valuable commodity right now. Cheaper,  more mobile and has upside .

I like Wentz, but he needs a change of scenery in the worst way. If you put him behind that Indy line, I think he'd flourish. 

Hurts is absolutely the more valuable commodity right now. Cheaper,  more mobile and has upside .

I like Wentz, but he needs a change of scenery in the worst way. If you put him behind that Indy line, I think he'd flourish. 
Perhaps, but if I'm Indy, I try for Watson or Stafford first.

Perhaps, but if I'm Indy, I try for Watson or Stafford first.
I don't think Indy has the capital to get Watson. I'm not convinced that Miami is a player for him, but I'm sure the NYJ are. Indy can't compete with the number two pick in the draft.

Stafford, sure, he'd definitely be in the mix and I think he'd fit well there. For some reason though, I see Washington making a big push for him.

Love all the coaching changes and hope we shed alot of players this season.  We need lots of new blood.   Prepare for some names to be gone 

Dak Prescott is a FA too

And so it begins: Zach Ertz will not play for Eagles in 2021

Players still left: Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Lane, Ertz, Jeffery, Sudfeld, Clement, Graham, Cox, Barnett, Gerry, Mills, McLeod, Elliot, Lovato

Coaches: Stoutland, Vasso, Hauck (assistant DB coaches), Harper (assistant special teams)

Gotta assume those other 3 coaches are gone soon, though.
Not sure. With Schwartz incompetence last year and laziness Vasso who was the assistant DC (He'd have taken over if Schwartz was put on Covid list for anything or fired) ended up running the defense most of the year. I think Hauck ended up helping him. Any credit of guys doing well should go to Vasso and Hauck and not Schwartz. At least from what I've heard. Lurie likes to keep a few assistance each coaching change as well. Vasso is only 33 so he does fit the mold of younger coaches they want. Hauck maybe not but the only one I would think stays is Vasso but Hauck is like Duce in terms of of Defensive side of the ball and could say. 

babydemon90 said:
Amazing how much of a hole these bad contracts put us in. If we hadn't foolishly extended Wentz, Alshon, and Djax - we'd have space to be players in the Watson sweepstakes.
Don't really want Watson. He's had a far superior roster and hasn't gone far at all with it. Especially on offense. You can blame BOB for some of that, but HOU was just as bad as us with far more talent of a roster. 

Yes and No.  It's actually the opposite.  As much as there's a lot of QB's out there this year, this is a record breaking year of teams needing QB's.  Remember, for every Watson, Stafford, Trubisky, Cam there is out there, there's holes to fill in Hou, Det, Chi, and NE.  Half the teams in the NFL could be looking for a new QB this offseason.

NE, NYJ, HOU, JAX, IND, DEN, WAS, DAL, CHI, DET, NO, ATL, LAR, SF could all be looking for QB's.  4 1st rounders+ Watson+Stafford+Trubisky only covers HALF of the list of teams that need QB's.  (Don't think Dalton and Cam get starting gigs).

While the Supply is big, the Demand is even bigger.

No one is taking Cam he's damaged goods. Trubisky some team might take as a reclamation project. But I think if you are looking at either guy to be your QB next year you have bigger issues on your roster as a whole then 

I thought Bieniemy would be able to keep him there but we'll never know now.
I don't think that would've solved anything. Watson has really had enough in HOU and I can't blame him either. There's rumors that JJ Watt might be even gone this offseason now. Really don't blame either. 

No one is taking Cam he's damaged goods. Trubisky some team might take as a reclamation project. But I think if you are looking at either guy to be your QB next year you have bigger issues on your roster as a whole then 
He was. And Cam, damaged goods as he showed - was statistically better then Wentz in most categories.

Seems like all of the QB questions today will be swatted down with "They're both great" and "Having 2 great QBs is a nice situation to be in."

Seems like all of the QB questions today will be swatted down with "They're both great" and "Having 2 great QBs is a nice situation to be in."
But the headlines will be:

Sirianni fails to commit to Wentz

Uncertainty around Wentz after introductory press conference

etc etc 

Energy good but he seems like he's fumbling for answers. 

Yea, he's pretty clearly nervous and not polished at answering reporters questions. Will cut guy slack on it though, I'll give him the benefit of a doubt. Obviously if we're going to hire young coaches with little experience, we have to expect growing pains.
Agreed on both but the Zoom’s make that awkward as well. I see that everyday

All in all I thought he gave great detail at seems too have a good plan. 

I really liked the last question and answer. Howie has control over the 53 and he has control over the game day roster. Hopes they work together which will be interesting to see. 

What’s the over/under on questions about Carson or the QB situation?

18 questions and 8 about the QB. That includes Eskin’s two questions. 

Some good questions and insight as well into Gannon and Johnson, what he saw from Stoutland and his familiarity with the coaches.

His evaluations will be interesting as well as the rest of the guys he fills on the staff

Don't really want Watson. He's had a far superior roster and hasn't gone far at all with it. Especially on offense. You can blame BOB for some of that, but HOU was just as bad as us with far more talent of a roster. 
I don't think you realize how messed up the Texans offense was due to BOB's offensive scheme. Very complicated and the line never seems to know what they are doing. In Deshaun's first two years. They had very little talent on the Oline and this led to them having the most sacks allowed in 2018. They finally used draft capital to add talent to the line in 2019 and they only improved to 25th in sacks allowed and this year regressed to tied for 29th in sacks allowed. Their TE's have been weak, Their RB's have been weak, the only talent group was WR's and Fuller is always getting hurt or suspended. The fact that the Texans traded away their elite receiver in Hopkins and Deshaun still led the league in passing with a great TD/Int ratio should tell you something. Further, when Cooks was hurt late in the season and Fuller was suspended, the Texans started Keke Coutee and Chad Hanson. What did they do, they both had 100 yard receiving games in the same game. 

I get to watch most of the Texans games because I live in Houston, and he is the real deal. He is calm in the pocket, runs when he should, will throw it away when he has to, seems to know the offense, and throws an absolutely great deep ball. He has held the ball too long, but is getting better at that. If you are not impressed with him, then you probably haven't watched enough of him.

If he gets with a coach who know how to use him like Reid uses Mahomes, look out.

Users who are viewing this thread