What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (3 Viewers)

my guess is that Howie and the team made that pick because they knew something was up with Carson. No other reason why they would draft a QB in the 2nd round on a team that has a few pieces missing then that. 

If that isn't the case, then i have no idea what Jeffrey Lurie is doing. i think almost all of us agree that Howie should go, but Lurie is locked in so i point more to him then Howie
This isn’t the first time they’ve done things like this. The Hurts pick is NOT an anomaly. Its exactly what we do. 

I am thinking they had some real doubts about Carson.  actions speak louder than words.  they took a qb in round 2 last year.
The actions do speak louder than words. The actions are we traded assets for a QB, signed Foles, paid Sudfield a ton to be a 3, tried to draft Clayton Thorson and then drafted Jalen Hurts. These are the actions. The actions say we value back up QB’s more than any team. We didn’t just do it there either. We did it with McNabb, Kolb and Vick too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And I said I was done with it :lmao:

I guess where I’m  at is this—I’m never going to be convinced that Howie isn’t the issue and that he “knew” this day would come. This is arguably one of the worst evaluators of talent we have seen. We are in this situation because of him. I get it, Wentz is the bad guy and our poor Howie was just an innocent bystander in all of this because he had to deal with the mean QB who didn’t wike him......blah blah blah. Howie can spin this all he wants. I’m buying none of it. 

Its the same thing we ALWAYS DO when we dump a guy unexpectedly.

Desean Jackson posts a farewell on Instagram so he’s gone 

Also, Avery is working out at LBer. Will be interesting to see if we get anything out of him at all. 

Chris Long on Carson Wentz:

“I think there’s a lot of people that think me and Carson are tight because I defend him, but I more just have trouble with character assassinations (created) on couple anonymous sources when you have people on the record saying he’s not a douchbag.”

“Like it’s amazing to me that some people will go off the most flaky evidence to indite someone this ‘locker room cancer’, but when people tell you if ‘he needs some things to work on’ sure that’s a fair assessment. But locker cancer? I can’t believe some of things I’m reading.”

🤷‍♂️

JohnnyU said:
I believe that Eagles fans should be more concerned with the Eagles going forward and what they do in this draft and future drafts, rather than worry about the success / failure of a player that is no longer on their team.  Even if the Colts win a SB with Wentz, that doesn't mean the Eagles would have done the same down the road.  It takes 53 and there are too many variables that go into winning a title (see Dan Marino).  But, to wish bad fortune on a player they gave up on in order to make their trade look better, well, that is petty.
Honestly for me this depends on the player/person. If we had AB or Rueben Foster lets just say the things I wish on them can't be repeated here on this board for obvious reason. Now if Jason Kelce left or when Ertz leaves thats totally different and I wish them continued success. 

modogg said:
flowing out of the rumor mill, but Carson didn't want to go to Chicago because of DeFelipo. they said they tried a "good cop, bad cop" thing to coach Carson and DeFelippo was the "bad cop". Just seems like Carson is tough to deal with, and listening to his press conferences this year after he threw the ball 5 yards over everyone's head, it just seems like the Colts bought into a headache. Can still play out well if Carson plays well on the field, but it seems like it could be a mess too
I mean if really depends but I heard other players don't like DeFelippo either. The dude hasn't been on teams coaching staff for longer then 2-3 yrs without leaving or being let go. I will say though if Bradford was on the roster the whole time he probably would've had the players Union calling the Eagles u for DeFelipo being too tough on him. 

Insein said:
Predictable posting in here. Always trash a guy on his way out. Same happened to Nick not that Foles was nearly as talented as Carson but people bought into Bradford so fast and buried Nick right away. 
Yeah but in the end Bradford got absolutely trashed. 

Our other buddy at the Inky Marcus Hayes did a hit piece on Wentz today that sounded nothing more then a guy who didn't get his way and called Wentz the biggest villain in sports. A little surprised Marcus whos known for race baiting didn't try to do that in his piece today as well as a cherry on top 

modogg said:
maybe, but i think you guys are being a little harsh on the fanbase right now. Probably a good sign of why this situation had only one real solution and that was to move on from it. i think if we look at the '18 and '19 season everyone in here wasn't all giddy about Carson. His fumbling issues have been an albatross for a few years. 

I think why there is a divide with this situation it is because there is a ton that happened behind the scenes that we will likely never know the truth of. That '17 article (maybe it was '18) that had multiple people in the Eagles locker-room trashing Wentz seemed like it was simply fish-bait at the time. But as the year's have gone on there has been more and more that seems like there is something just not clicking for the team.

I also think the early years with Wentz were looked at as "he has some things to work on, but he has great potential". Seeing the same issues with him this past year take a lot of people from thinking he is great with potential to more of an issue. 

Contrast it with Ben Simmons and the Sixers. Quite a few similarities with the fanbase and their appreciation, but Ben seems to understand he has some things not working and has taken steps to try and address and work with people to improve. I am sure Carson has done the same to varying degree so maybe he is catching too harsh of feedback now, but i do think a lot of the reports from the sports media throughout this year have not pained a good picture of them. Maybe some of us take that information to seriously, but there haven't been many counter-arguments to it either. 
Ben literals went a whole month without trying after Brett Brown called him out for not shooting. The organization literally coddles Ben routinely. Its why Doc Rivers was brought in because he isn't a "tough coach" and lets players walk over him because they know he won't do a dam. 

G-King said:
Hold up, it wasn’t meant cruel, hence the second part. You always have A LOT of commentary on everything that happens so I’m sure everyone was blown away that several hours had passed and not sentence out of you on literally the biggest Eagle move all year. I truly thought you had been banned, but knew you hadn’t really got into it in here. Thought maybe you had a throw down in some other thread. Ease up on the sensitivity  Tonto. 
I work retail so yeah I'm not always available. I can't instantly take my phone out and write some opinion down. Unlike others at my job who can get away with murder for some reason I do something Wrong and every acts like the place is on fire. 

modogg said:
i don't think we will be done with the drama for a bit. It is bound to be like a soap opera as rumors and leaks start to show up with all of this down time before the next season starts.

this was the main story on bleacherreport:

TLDR is basically: Shefter said this morning that Doug and Carson didn't talk for like 8-10 weeks during the season. Apparently Carson was salty about the Eagles taking a QB in the 2nd round, and never got over it:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932560-schefter-carson-wentz-doug-pederson-didnt-talk-for-8-9-10-weeks

Former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz and head coach Doug Pederson reportedly didn't talk for an extended period of time during the latter stages of the 2020 NFL season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter described the situation during an appearance Friday on 97.5 The Fanatic.

"There are a lot of things that went wrong," Schefter said. "We have the team drafting Jalen Hurts. We have Carson feeling jilted by that. We have the team trying to reassure him. We have Carson not getting past that. We have Carson struggling. We have Carson and Doug not talking for weeks on end during the season, where the head coach and quarterback are not talking for eight, nine, 10 weeks."
Wentz felt he was lied to by Doug and apparently lost a lot of trust in the one guy who he thought had his back from day 1. I've brought up The Athletic article from a few yrs ago about the Eagles offense and how it was Doug who brought up Carson Wentz as a possible QB option for the draft considering where he was projected at the time before Senior Bowl and Combine. he impressed he ended up skyrocketing up the board. Doug according to the article never shied away on talking up Carson to the point the Eagles sent Their A team to scout Carson and came away impressed. Carson became the literal guy and he was incredible grateful to Doug of all people plus they shared a special bond with both having a strong faith. For whatever reason Doug soured on Carson and possible wanted a new guy. Hurts comes in. This is like you being the popular kid in school and this new kid shows up and now everyone you though were your friends showed their true colors and just wanted to hang with you because you were the cool guy at the time in school. Then on top of that you kept teammate of us who went anonymously to some opinion writer on philly blog who talked a bunch of trash on you and kept the main guy. Said Teammate who first was the rat and talk to his reporter friend with Bennies not only stays but whenever you aren't playing the dude actually tries out there. 

This isn't trying to deflect any blame from Carson but people need to realize where Carson is coming from this too. The people he trusted most basically lied to him. Even though these two weren't talking they both remained professional towards each other. Like two parents who knew they were going for a divorce but stayed in the same house for the kids is what happened here.

modogg said:
I 100% agree i would love to move on. I will say though that Shefter has been one of the top NFL media guys for a long time and almost all of his stories/articles show up true. Could be the Shefter source is feeding him garbage, but i think when i see a report from him or Mort i pay a little more attention. 

Rob Maaddi has me out a bit since it seems from his recent twitter activity and his stories that he was more of a friend of Wentz and didn't want to report objectively. i could be wrong, but that seems to be a bit of the impression. 

Either way, i do agree with you that i hope to spend like 10-15 minutes a day with this drama for the next few months. No need to get lost in the weeds, both sides have moved on (though apparently not if reports keep coming out) and hopefully all sides are better for it
Rob was also pretty close to Doug as well. 

modogg said:
man, i'm already close to 10-15 minute limit on discussing Wentz drama, so maybe i need to extend that to 20 minutes. 

Would love to know who Shefter is hearing this from then. There was so many reports coming out before this trade about other teams being involved and possible trade scenarios, you have to wonder if the Eagles PR machine is trying some of this, or if it is Wentz's agent. We know Wentz's agent was already sending stuff out near the end of the season last year, so one of them loves the drama in the NFL. Can't imagine anybody is really talking about Carson's time in Philly now besides those 2
People need to be careful when they report stuff. Know your sources well enough to know if they are feeding you misleading info intentionally or do to someone who tells them stuff is feeding them misinformation intentionally. I learned this over yrs with wrestling especially a larger promotion like WWE. There is sometimes stuff that a team/company WANTS INTENTIONALLY leaked just especially in wrestling to see how fans take an idea and react. In sports its not different but for different reasons too. My guess is whoever Carson was mad at (Probably Howie) is leaking this to guys he knows talk to these media guys and giving them misleading info. This reminds me when Chip released Jackson and we had that whole hit piece article. Within a week the whole article got debunked by numerous sources. I heard it almost cost the reporter who wrote it his job but guys like Mike Kaye and one of the guys for that paper defended Mark to keep his job saying it was a really bad mistake but any of us could've made it. Most likely Chip gave out the info to some guy who talks and he went to Mark with it. Mark should've really checked his source more but didn't. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
Desean Jackson posts a farewell on Instagram so he’s gone 

Also, Avery is working out at LBer. Will be interesting to see if we get anything out of him at all. 
Complete disaster of a signing. Should be arrested for robbery. 

modogg said:
the drama is getting worse, but this article on bleedinggreennation paints a pretty ugly picture. i know we won't ever know the 100% truth, but there is more then just smoke here for this to be the reality. the interesting thing about this article is that it does follow-up with exactly what me and @Bigboy10182000 were talking about above. Think i am going to try and officially check out of Wentz drama for a day or so, hoping i can hold out :) :

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2021/2/19/22291625/carson-wentz-trade-eagles-locker-room-stopped-talking-doug-pederson-weeks-nfl-rumors-philadelphia-qb

Those who have experience consuming sports coverage should know it’s not unusual for unflattering leaks to emerge following a person’s exit from a team. It should be no surprise, then, to see such is the case in the aftermath of the Carson Wentz trade.

Of course, there have been anonymously-sourced criticisms about Wentz dating back to November 2018. And then more in January 2019. And then more in October 2019. And then more in September 2020. And then more in January 2021. And then more in February 2021.

The latest on Wentz comes from Jason La Canfora (bold emphasis mine):

In Philly, it did get personal (because of course it did) between Wentz and head coach Doug Pederson. Wentz, according to team and league sources, had been falling out of favor with the locker room as well, unable to connect with a swath of players, acting more in self interest than what would be expected from a franchise quarterback and leader. Losing and adversity had brought out the worst in him, he didn’t handle losing his spot to Jalen Hurts with aplomb and, as reported here within days of him losing his job, a plethora of NFL general managers and executives were already predicting Wentz’s rapid exodus from Philadelphia after the season, even as Eagles officials pleaded there was nothing to see here and Wentz remains a key part of the organization.

A divorce was looming, the league knew it, and it was always going to limit the field of suitors and the degree of compensation for a player with a growing injury history, a propensity for turnovers and now years removed from the days of being mentioned as an MVP candidate. Things truly collapsed when sources said Wentz skipped out on exit meetings with Pederson. He did everything possible — passive-aggressively and otherwise — to make it clear he did not want to be a part of whatever else was going on in Philadelphia, and even after Pederson was fired a week after the season, things between the quarterback and the organization continued to fester.

Some have pointed to Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox defending Wentz after his benching to downplay the notion that he lost the support of his teammates. But a locker room consists of many players, and what they say publicly and privately doesn’t always line up.

Earlier this month, Joe Santoliquito of PhillyVoice cited a source that drew Wentz’s support into question.

“Is there anyone in here who’s going to believe in [Wentz]? I can’t speak for everyone, but I have a good feeling that there are a lot of guys who don’t right now,” said one source within the organization, who wished to remain anonymous, because “if he can get an NFL head coach fired, they’ll have no problem cutting anyone’s ###.”

All one respected veteran would say is that “there’s a problem here.”

Players “were pissed” that Wentz reportedly planned to ask for a trade and wants out if he is not going to be the starting quarterback, sources said. They interpreted it as if Wentz was quitting on them. Some thought it was Wentz quitting on himself, running away from an open competition for the starter’s role with rookie Jalen Hurts.

Wentz never refuted the reports. In fact, he hasn’t said a peep in over eight weeks — and counting.

Everyone was looking at each other thinking, does he want outta here? How are you supposed to follow a leader like that?” said one source of the reports suggesting Wentz wanted out, which started as far back as December 20. “When he does address it, do you really think anyone will believe him?”

This isn’t to suggest that Wentz’s locker room standing was the only reason the Eagles traded him. But it certainly could’ve factored into the equation. And, as Santoliquito mentioned to me on an upcoming BGN Radio podcast episode, Wentz is very much going to have to prove himself to his new teammates in Indy.

On a different note, what La Canfora had to say about Wentz’s relationship with Doug Pederson lines up with something that Adam Schefter shared on 97.5 The Fanatic on Friday morning. Transcription via CBS Sports (bold emphasis mine):

“There are a lot of things that went wrong. We have the team drafting Jalen Hurts. We have Carson feeling jilted by that. We have the team trying to reassure him. We have Carson not getting past that. We have Carson struggling. We have Carson and Doug not talking for weeks on end during the season where the head coach and quarterback are not talking for eight, nine, 10 weeks.”

There’s been some pushback on the communication deterioration. Rob Maaddi says Pederson told him it wasn’t true:

Some have suggested Howie Roseman leaked to Schefter that Pederson and Wentz weren’t talking. While I can’t say I know Schefter’s source, I do know that I had heard weeks ago that Wentz and Doug weren’t talking by the end of the season. And I can assure you Roseman, who I’ve often criticized, isn’t giving me any inside info.

All of this is moot moving forward in the vein that Wentz and Pederson are now both gone. But it certainly speaks to the dysfunction that’s taken place at the NovaCare Complex. One can only hope it doesn’t continue.
BLG does emphasis that it's Jason La Confora. He's literally the Jon Heyman of the NFL. Guy who teams and agents both go to because he just spouts what they tell him without double and triple checking his info. He's the guy you go to if you want something to leak that might not be true because you know he's not gonna check it. 

Chris Long on Carson Wentz:

“I think there’s a lot of people that think me and Carson are tight because I defend him, but I more just have trouble with character assassinations (created) on couple anonymous sources when you have people on the record saying he’s not a douchbag.”

“Like it’s amazing to me that some people will go off the most flaky evidence to indite someone this ‘locker room cancer’, but when people tell you if ‘he needs some things to work on’ sure that’s a fair assessment. But locker cancer? I can’t believe some of things I’m reading.”

🤷‍♂️
Yeah Long is a stand up guy. I like Wentz but I'm also with Long on this as well. I hate these attempts by people to fit some sort of an agenda with guys no matter what. Can't remember the sport but I remember defending a guy I didn't like as a player for stuff written about them personally. Friends of mine were shocked and I said I hate when people try to fit an agenda based on sources that probably aren't there and you have people saying they aren't bad. I don't like the guy as a player but I've never tried to attack said players character either. 

I like talk about Fulgham. Why he was benched? 
Doug Pederson was too loyal to Players like Alshon Jeffrey and Djac. It's as simple as that. It's why until Jason Peters was put on IR Jordan Mailata was on the bench despite the fact JP showed he shouldn't be in the line up at all. It's blind loyalty to the veteran players. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash
Bigboy10182000 said:
This isn’t the first time they’ve done things like this. The Hurts pick is NOT an anomaly. Its exactly what we do. 

The actions do speak louder than words. The actions are we traded assets for a QB, signed Foles, paid Sudfield a ton to be a 3, tried to draft Clayton Thorson and then drafted Jalen Hurts. These are the actions. The actions say we value back up QB’s more than any team. We didn’t just do it there either. We did it with McNabb, Kolb and Vick too. 
You're exactly right and yet Wentz and his agent were apparently completely unaware of all of this history. The fact that Wentz thought the pick wouldn't or shouldn't have happened, despite it being the MO of this front office, tells me a lot about him.

“Jackson's reunion with the Eagles occurred Monday after the Tampa Bay Buccaneersshipped the wide receiver and a 2020 seventh-round pick to where his professional career began. In exchange for Jackson, the Eagles sent a sixth-round pick in this year's draft.”
 But the 3 year contract, OOF. Dude took 2 seasons in a row off. 

You're exactly right and yet Wentz and his agent were apparently completely unaware of all of this history. The fact that Wentz thought the pick wouldn't or shouldn't have happened, despite it being the MO of this front office, tells me a lot about him.
Yeah, stupid guy thinking we’d actually try to help him 

Matt Miller of Bleacher report says theres a ton of traction that the Eagles are interested in Trey Lance FROM NORTH DAKOTA ST with the #6 pick in the draft. This makes sense in terms that a lot in the Organization don't believe Hurts is the guy. However to draft Wentz's replacement from the same school he went to would be such an Eagles move. 

Matt Miller of Bleacher report says theres a ton of traction that the Eagles are interested in Trey Lance FROM NORTH DAKOTA ST with the #6 pick in the draft. This makes sense in terms that a lot in the Organization don't believe Hurts is the guy. However to draft Wentz's replacement from the same school he went to would be such an Eagles move. 
Hate that move

Once again Eagles trying to outsmart everyone in the room.   

DOn't love Lance at 6 but based on what I've heard about the Eagles faith in Jalen Hurts doesn't surprise me either. 
Move back then.   You don't have to take him at 6.  And if we move back and someone takes him.  Oh well.   Draft for one of our other dozen needs

No one is taking that guy top ten

Move back then.   You don't have to take him at 6.  And if we move back and someone takes him.  Oh well.   Draft for one of our other dozen needs

I agree. I just think in terms of what I've heard about their faith in hurts doesn't surprise me and makes sense. But I would like you move back in the draft for him 

Good. Keep floating that so someone comes up and takes him. 

Im sure if they’re going QB it’s Wilson or Fields. Saying there’s interest in Lance can possible help with trades. 

Agree with your first part.  Not your 2nd.  I think he's going top 10.  Too many QB needy teams drafting 6-9, one of those teams is going to take him.

Agree with your first part.  Not your 2nd.  I think he's going top 10.  Too many QB needy teams drafting 6-9, one of those teams is going to take him.
Yup. From what I've seen/read there is little chance he drops out of the top ten. In fact, there are rumors Atlanta likes him at their pick.

Yup. From what I've seen/read there is little chance he drops out of the top ten. In fact, there are rumors Atlanta likes him at their pick.
That would be awesome for us.  Wilson would be an absolute dream for us at 6 but I don't think that happens.  Lance like you say may go earlier, but I don't think he can be in conversation for us at 6.  Fields is our big question mark... might be there, and people have him anywhere from a lock for #2 pick or late 1st.  He's our most likely QB by far I think if we do go that route.

That would be awesome for us.  Wilson would be an absolute dream for us at 6 but I don't think that happens.  Lance like you say may go earlier, but I don't think he can be in conversation for us at 6.  Fields is our big question mark... might be there, and people have him anywhere from a lock for #2 pick or late 1st.  He's our most likely QB by far I think if we do go that route.
I think the jets are taking wilson

First year in a long time I don't care about the draft. They're going to screw this up somehow. Probably take a QB and we'll do this all over again. Just completely apathetic on this team right now.

Users who are viewing this thread