What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (4 Viewers)

So 10+ teams who would take him if he was available in round 1 are lead by incompetent idiots who evaluate QB's worse than you do?  Ok.
I'm not even sure hurts is going to overtake wentz.   But I'm that down on fields.   Hey maybe I'm wrong.   We will see

So 10+ teams who would take him if he was available in round 1 are lead by incompetent idiots who evaluate QB's worse than you do?  Ok.
I never get this take. Not every talent evaluator makes the right decisions. How many qbs in early first round have been complete disasters? A ton.

I never get this take. Not every talent evaluator makes the right decisions. How many qbs in early first round have been complete disasters? A ton.
Yes, many.  But the take that any specific fan knows way more about Fields than hundreds of professionals who see him as a 1st round pick, is asinine.  If he's "Not an NFL QB" for sure, then he shouldn't even be drafted... let alone be unanimously seen as a top 50 pick.  (For the most part top 5)

Joe Banner:

My only comment for now on Doug’s firing is that I don’t believe the Eagles did this without knowing who is next and have near certainty that that person will accept. They need to interview diverse candidates, but my bet is they have virtually made a decision.
Interesting.  I guess it could be "owner-speak" but it genuinely seemed like Lurie said the process will be a long one and they're in no rush to find someone.  But I guess we will see.

Interesting.  I guess it could be "owner-speak" but it genuinely seemed like Lurie said the process will be a long one and they're in no rush to find someone.  But I guess we will see.
I agree but I’m sure when he last spoke with Doug he anticipated Doug’s reaction today and had things lined up. He even said he’s always looking just in case things happen like they did when Josh McDaniels backed out of the Indy job and they took Reich

McDaniels is another one that is getting zero recognition right now too. I wonder if he’d be an option. 

CANDIDATES 

ERIC BIENEMY — OC, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

A former second-round pick by the Chargers, Bienemy has been an assistant in the NFL for quite some time. He has overseen the development of league MVPs under his tutelage, from Adrian Peterson in Minnesota to Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City. 

He’s never been the primary play caller for the Chiefs — a job that Andy Reid has mostly held down — but that hasn’t kept other Reid assistants such as Brad Childress, Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy from producing 12-win seasons as head coaches after leaving Reid. 

After years of being overlooked, he’s finally being considered a top candidate, and his exclusion from consideration for the Houston job has already drawn the ire of superstar quarterback Deshaun Watson.

JOE BRADY — OC, CAROLINA PANTHERS

We’ve often confessed our appreciation for Joe Brady. After taking a wildly average LSU offense in 2018 to the national championship in 2019, he finished the 2020 regular season with the third-highest offensive play caller rating. 

Brady directed an offense with Teddy Bridgewaterand P.J. Walker at quarterback to the league’s 17th-best yards per play mark, keeping them within one score in eight of their 11 losses. He doesn’t have any head-coaching experience, which is an obvious issue, but other up-and-coming coaches have been able to come out of the gate without said experience, as well. His star will only get brighter, so look for a team to snatch him up this round.

ROBERT SALEH — DC, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Despite a season full of injuries and COVID-19 issues, the 49ers allowed only 5.0 yards per play on defense — good for fourth in the NFL. This earned Saleh the highest mark in our defensive play caller ratings. 

There were some questions about how he handled the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIV, but aside from surrendering a lead to one of the best quarterbacks to enter the league since the merger, he’s done a great job developing young talent — Fred Warner, Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner, among others — while assimilating newcomers such as Richard Sherman.  

While defensive-minded coaches are not necessarily positive expected value long-term due to instability on the offensive side of the ball vis-à-vis the play caller, Saleh deserves an opportunity to lead a team. Will it be Detroit?

MATT EBERFLUS — DC, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Eberflus has already turned down a chance to interview for the Texans job, a team he is 5-2 against during his time coordinating the Indianapolis Colts' defense. 

After leading a good, not great, bend-but-don’t-break defense during his first two years as a coordinator, Eberflus’ group largely carried the Colts to their 11-5 record, earning the eighth-best opponent-adjusted grade from us. 

The Colts have a great analytical culture under Frank Reich and Chris Ballard, and if any of that has rubbed off on Eberflus, this could be a great hire.

TIM KELLY — OC/QBS, HOUSTON TEXANS

Kelly, who was interviewed by his current team last week, oversaw an offense that was categorically not the reason why Houston won just four games in 2020. The Texans ranked first in yards per play in 2020, with quarterback Deshaun Watson earning over 3.3 wins above replacement in what was his best season — a campaign he played significant parts of without DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller V or Kenny Stills.  

Given the Texans’ dysfunction, I’m not sure continuity is what the anecdote is right now, but Kelly, like Watson, is something good about the team. And if keeping him makes Watson happy, it might be a good idea.

GREG ROMAN — OC, BALTIMORE RAVENS

While the Ravens' offense regressed some from what was a historic 2019 season, much of said regression can be attributed to losing three parts of the league’s most valuable offensive line and an injury to Lamar Jackson. 

In fact, Roman fell only from the fourth-best play caller in our rankings in 2019 to fifth in 2020, with his team putting up over 385 yards in each of its final five games — all wins. There has to be some concern over what transpired in San Francisco vis-à-vis Colin Kaepernick’s regression and the lack of quarterbacks with his or Jackson’s talents freely available, but Roman has earned the opportunity to be considered.

TODD BOWLES — DC, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Bowles has been a head coach twice, once in an interim role with the Dolphins and once for the Jets, where he compiled a 24-40 record. The former Washington and San Francisco safety has been one of the best defensive play callers in the league since rejoining Bruce Arians in Tampa. 

Rebuilding a Tampa defense that was one of the worst in the league when he got there into one of the best, starting from back to front, has been very impressive. Obvious questions remain about his acumen as a head coach, but given how well he’s done in each spot sans New York, he’s probably good for another opportunity.

ARTHUR SMITH — OC, TENNESSEE TITANS

Smith has been in command of the Tennessee Titans' offense the past two years, wherein they have finished fourth in yards per play in both campaigns. Ryan Tannehill, after having fallen out of favor with Miami, has been one of the most efficient passers in the NFL over the past two years, averaging 9.7 and 13.5 yards per play-action pass attempt in those seasons. 

Many will point to Derrick Henry’s two league-leading seasons on the ground as another positive, while skeptics will point toward prehistorical run/pass ratios as evidence of a flaw in his approach. 

Smith has a Shanahan-like ceiling as a head coach and also calls plays, but he has a pretty low floor if he’s not endowed with the talent he has in Tennessee. 

JOSH MCDANIELS — OC, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

After rescinding his acceptance of the Indianapolis head coaching position prior to the 2018 season, McDaniels has fallen each year in our offensive play caller rankings, down to 30th in the NFL in 2020. 

Without Tom Brady in 2020, the Patriots' offense finished 23rd in yards per play and 23rd in net adjusted yards per passing play. In his prior life as a head coach who called plays for the Broncos, McDaniels finished 17th and 30th in our rankings, leading to an early dismissal. 

It will be interesting to see what people are interested in, given McDaniels' history and that of most other Bill Belichick disciples when they leave the nest.

URBAN MEYER

Meyer has been rumored to be a frontrunner for the Jaguars job after two years off following a stellar run as the head coach of Ohio State. During the PFF College era (2014-present) Meyer’s Buckeyes earned the fourth-most wins above average, trailing only Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma. 

That said, they earned the country’s second-most wins above average after he left in 2019, and his ability as a recruiter (he was the third-best by 247Sports' metrics) will be less relevant in the NFL. I’m a bit skeptical about this one.

JASON GARRETT — OC, NEW YORK GIANTS

Garrett, the former head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, struggled this year in his return to the offensive coordinator role for the Giants, failing to earn an offensive play caller rating in the top half of the league. 

He was 18 games over .500 during the regular season in his 10 seasons with the Cowboys, although there are legitimate questions about whether he got the most out of a team that had some of the NFL's best talent during his time — including ranking first in yards per play offensively in his final year when Dallas went 8-8.

I agree but I’m sure when he last spoke with Doug he anticipated Doug’s reaction today and had things lined up. He even said he’s always looking just in case things happen like they did when Josh McDaniels backed out of the Indy job and they took Reich

McDaniels is another one that is getting zero recognition right now too. I wonder if he’d be an option. 
Meh, let's see McDaniels do something without the best HC and best QB of all time.

Something besides trade up to draft Tim Tebow in the 1st, I mean.

Joe Banner:

My only comment for now on Doug’s firing is that I don’t believe the Eagles did this without knowing who is next and have near certainty that that person will accept. They need to interview diverse candidates, but my bet is they have virtually made a decision.
Agree 💯 

Wentz failed in many ways this year, but he took an absolute beating and kept going.  The last 2 years I think should have put the durability question to rest.  There are other questions for sure, that I'm done with that one.
He kept going in what sense? On the field? Agree. He collapsed as a franchise QB. I’ll counter your assertion with 3 major injuries as a pro lead to his mental frailty. OL fell apart and he did as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll counter with 3 major injuries as a pro lead to his mental frailty. OL fell apart and he did as well. 
I mean you can make up any narrative you want in your head. Doesn't make it true.

I say Carson was a professional and a warrior going out there behind a practice squad line and getting the #### kicked out of him every game and then got benched by a coach that did him no favors in the playcalling. He then proceeded to cheer on his backup and help him prepare each week. Even ran the practice squad to give the defense reps. He's been a consumate teammate and professional throughout and proved he is a great leader for this team.

I’ll counter with 3 major injuries as a pro lead to his mental frailty. OL fell apart and he did as well. 
I'll give you two.  I treat the knee as a one off, and recovery from those has become routine.  The back issue hasn't reoccured and that's the only one I would have been worried about.  Anybody who gets speared in the head with a helmet while going to the ground could get a concussion, you gotta be kidding with that one.

The "mental frailty" is a tougher question.  I think he started out the year pressing too hard for big plays, it didn't work and things seemed to snowball down hill from there.  Why, is the million dollar question.  There are plenty of other issues with his play though  and I've talked about those plenty.

I'll give you two.  I treat the knee as a one off, and recovery from those has become routine.  The back issue hasn't reoccured and that's the only one I would have been worried about.  Anybody who gets speared in the head with a helmet while going to the ground could get a concussion, you gotta be kidding with that one.

The "mental frailty" is a tougher question.  I think he started out the year pressing too hard for big plays, it didn't work and things seemed to snowball down hill from there.  Why, is the million dollar question.  There are plenty of other issues with his play though  and I've talked about those plenty.
I saw a QB that went from MVP to the worst QB in the NFL. After multiple injuries and an OL that fell apart. Scared, distracted, loves his faith? Who knows but I see weakness. 

I saw a QB that went from MVP to the worst QB in the NFL. After multiple injuries and an OL that fell apart. Scared, distracted, loves his faith? Who knows but I see weakness. 
Correlation <> Causation.  Just because those things all happened doesn't mean one caused the other.  He's always been a Jesus guy so that makes no sense.  A scared guy doesn't put himself in the position to get hit like Wentz does.  Kolb played scared under pressure.  Wentz does not.

I don't know where weakness comes from, I think you're stretching.  You saw that, I just saw bad decisions and poor execution. 

Here for all the people thinking week 17s obvious throw of the game and the players mutiny after words wasnt a factor. 
Mutiny? When did that happen? The report was from a reporter who is known to BS. Perhaps you didn't notice but Team leaders like Jason Kelce and Brandon Graham both said players were confused but they knew Hurts was being pulled. The conversations with Pederson were Respectful and professional from both sides. No physical altercations or players quitting. 

...an OL that fell apart. ...
I actually think the OL played really well considering the weekly disruption and volume of injuries.  So much depends on continuity and guys knowing how to play together when passing off stunts, making combo blocks etc. that it's not surprising that the execution suffered 

LT: Mailata, Dillard

LG: Seumalo, Herbig

C Kelce,  Juriga

RG: Brooks, Pryor

RT: Johnson, Driscoll

I think plenty of teams would kill for that group.

Why, is the million dollar question.  There are plenty of other issues with his play though  and I've talked about those plenty.
The why is exactly why Doug had to go. By all accounts and purposes it reads like he didn’t get his way and essentially through a hissy fit. I’m sure this was brewing all year and why Wentz was frustrated. It’s not a coincidence that the day after it was announced Doug wouldn’t be back there was a rumor saying Wentz was pondering his future here. Who knows what went on behind the scenes but it reads like it was bad with Doug and Wentz. 

Where I’m going with all this is that his talent is obvious to me. Yes, the ‘17-‘19 is more him than last year.  I’ve bagged on him for a while, he’s not worth the money he got paid but that happens. He’s not bad. He’s above average and can be good/great The entire team was trash last year and/or hurt. To say he’s “broken” like it’s forever is silly IMO. And I have no clue where this “weakness” stuff comes from either. I really don’t think people realize just how bad the coaching has been here for a couple years. It’s been BAD!

New coach with a good scheme and he’s back. 

Kelce, Ertz and other vets extremely unhappy with decision afterward.  Kelce appeared to intentionally Ole block when Sudfeld checked in.
They didn't. Kelce was playing with an injured Arm he hurt a few weeks back which is why his snaps were all over the place. He played through it knowing the team needed him in there. At least from what I was told. Ertz wasn't happy because he knew this was the end of the line for his Eagles career. Everyone knew Suddy was coming in. There was just confusion why Doug waited so long to pull him. The only guy who has publicly chirped or done anything has been Miles Sanders and since Kelce and others spoke out against the reports Miles has been awfully quite 

Betting this was more mutual than it appears. Lurie wanted big changes to the staff. Doug wanted to stay loyal to his guys and have more independence. Doug saw there are a bunch of head coaching opportunities where his SB resume will likely afford him that opportunity elsewhere if Lurie wouldn't, so he stood his ground.  

He didn't exactly pull a George Costanza and drag the Lombardi around the parking lot of Nova Care, but he definitely wasn't trying NOT to get fired.
Doug is a really good guy. Smart coach and how he schemed guys open offensively for Hurts shows he can coach well. if he doesn't get a HC job he's definitely getting offers as an OC somewhere. Doug's issue has always been being too loyal to players who haven't produced and keeping them on when it was obvious it was time for others and then way too loyal to coaches who weren't doing their job. For example I heard Schwartz DC Assistiant ran the whole defense this year. JS tried taking credit for positives but he was incredible lazy and didn't do jack sh** this year. Honestly when you have a coordinator doing that he should be let go immediately. Its not fair to the guys assistants nor is it the responsibility for your 2nd in command to do the job that said Cordinator is suppose to do. The DC Assistant didn't get any credit for any of the good work he did this year and Schwartz took all the credit. Thats an issue. Then you have coaches like Press Taylor who people say is smart but since becoming QB coach our Franchise QB has degreased every season since. 

Doug will get a job but Doug definitely wasn't trying to save his job either. It seemed like he wanted to go and have more say on who he takes with him. Now I don't know if Lurie just wasn't listening to him or if this was more the Eagles trying to save Doug from himself here. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash
I actually think the OL played really well considering the weekly disruption and volume of injuries.  So much depends on continuity and guys knowing how to play together when passing off stunts, making combo blocks etc. that it's not surprising that the execution suffered 

LT: Mailata, Dillard

LG: Seumalo, Herbig

C Kelce,  Juriga

RG: Brooks, Pryor

RT: Johnson, Driscoll

I think plenty of teams would kill for that group.
Health is the key but that is a decent group. Maybe grab a couple more diamond prospects in the 5th or 6th to grow.

A coach should be able to pick his own coaches. It really started off on the wrong foot in 2016 when Schwartz was hired before Doug. Then every year he lost guys from his staff either through them moving on or the front office telling him to fire a guy. The coaches that were fired deserved to be to be fair but I understand where Doug is coming from.
Yep there wouldn't be a huge problem if the guys he was promoting and lost were doing their job, however many of them deserved the ax. I get why Doug is upset but this seems like one of those where the guy doesn't understand they are trying to help him save himself in this situation. Yes it started off wrong with Schwartz hired before Doug but Doug with his hires didn't do himself any favors when the guys didn't produce. If you continually hire people who don't work out, you lose that right to hire people on your own. 

Health is the key but that is a decent group. Maybe grab a couple more diamond prospects in the 5th or 6th to grow.
Interior depth could be better, especially if Kelce retires but the fact that the OL didn't totally crater with all the disruption does not get enough appreciation.

Chargers are certainly attractive with its roster, but outside of them Atlanta looks good on paper but have potentially the same or worse cap issues as philly. probably not hard to get someone in with a long leash for this coming season. we have good pieces to build around imo.
Chargers are a nice option until you realize there's really no fanbase, you gotta deal with wildfires and earthquakes, Media seems out of it on Football at times and they have No Offensive line. They got some nice pieces but I don't know why anyone would chose LA unless they want to walk around like their sh** don't smell like MR Hollywood with a media who really doesn't care more a great fanbase in terms of enthusiasm. 

Interior depth could be better, especially if Kelce retires but the fact that the OL didn't totally crater with all the disruption does not get enough appreciation.
I really hope Stoutland stays onboard with whoever we get. He really did a great job and I’d like to see him keep working with this group. 

what would you say the chance is for Carson to be fixed, let's say at '18 level. '17 is almost out, but looking at games throughout this season, I am feeling like it is less than 50% we get much from Carson. So many balls sailed high, and he was ranked 32nd for QBs throwing 5 yards and less. I am not sure how that is even possible. 

Also would love to know what coach would actually want to come here. Situation isn't as enticing as it was a few year's ago, and i know they brought on Doug as like option #3 when McAdoo and somebody else i can't remember didn't want to take the job. 

Not sure i am confident in Howie if he is part of this decision picking a quality coach
Lurie is one of if not the most respected owners in Football. You will have guys who will want to come here for that alone. Lurie is pretty progressive in his decisions as well. You have a QB entering his 6th year now who before he was injured was performing at an elite level, one of the top young RBs in the business, a really good TE in there too and some decent O Line to work with. There's some decent pieces on defense but defiantly room to grow. It's not an ideal situation but there are definitely coaches who will look at this situation as something of a project if they can fix it, well they will look great after that. 

I don't really agree with a single thing in here. 

Yes they fired a coach that won a super bowl with Foles, but he needed to be fired... have you been following any of this mess?  Doug was a bad OC.

Andy was in no  way "ran out of town".  Anyone with knowledge on the situation knows it was just time.  Awful year, Andy was stale, we needed a change, Andy needed a change.  No chance we win a SB under Andy.... it was probably the best mutual split of a coach/team in NFL history.

Long rebuilds don't happen in the NFL usually.  I agree it will be a 'long rebuild' but that is relative and usually means like 2-3 years in today's NFL.  If Carson gets back to form, we can be okay.

Your avatar unfortunately doesn't seem accurate.

I think he's another one trying to kick a guy when he's down.  :fishing:

Everyone's thoughts on Kafka?  He's the most rumoured name floating around for us.
I wasn't a huge fan at first when his name was floating around as a possible OC but it sounds like he's similar to Josh McCown. Really smart and proactive. Mahomes seems to really like him and if Andy has the dude on his staff then I trust he's good. 

Telling that Schwartz was probably informed of this before Doug which enabled him to step away on his own terms rather than getting canned with everyone else. 

Schwartz was leaving prior to any of this. He made the decision pretty early in the year. He didn't want to do the daily grind anymore 

Tim McManus ESPN-

Some believe the Eagles will make a run at Oklahoma Sooners coach Lincoln Riley. He coached Hurts at the college level, has majored in the QB position and is said to have a strong relationship with Eagles general manager Howie Roseman. It would probably take big money to lure Riley out of Norman, but they might view it as a wise investment.
If they are serious fixing Carson I would stay far away from Lincoln Riley. It just creates more of a mess with Hurts and Wentz. Then again is Riley really a guy to worry about? Hurts was only there there for a year. Plus I don't trust people who play in conferences who believe in zero defense. Riley seems like another Chip Kelly type coach. Great in college but will do horrible in the next level. Get me a guy who's been working at the NFL level

Here are 10 candidates the Eagles should consider as they search for their next head coach to lead the franchise: 

1. Eric Bieniemy 

Current role: Offensive coordinator -- Kansas City Chiefs 

The Eagles have dug into the Andy Reid coaching tree once before with Pederson -- and won their first Super Bowl in franchise history. Reid was the most successful head coach in franchise history, making five NFC Championship Game appearances in eight seasons and compiling a .583 win percentage in 14 seasons as the Eagles head coach. Reid disciples have succeeded in the NFL and changed franchises (see John Harbaugh with the Baltimore Ravens and Sean McDermott with the Buffalo Bills).

Bieniemy may be the best assistant coach Reid has ever had as the offensive coordinator of one of the greatest offenses in NFL history. The Chiefs offense was first in total yards per game (415.8) this season under Bieniemy (sixth in 2019, first in 2018) and has led the NFL with 406.9 yards per game over the past three seasons. Patrick Mahomes won a league MVP and Super Bowl MVP with Bieniemy as his offensive coordinator -- throwing for 13,868 yards for 114 touchdowns to just 23 interceptions (109.8 passer rating).

If the Eagles seek Bieniemy, he could either work with reinventing Wentz or develop Hurts. Bieniemy played for the Eagles as a running back in 1999 (under Reid) and has been on Reid's staff in Kansas City since 2013. There's familiarity with Philadelphia's front office and ownership, which could get Bieniemy to Eagles.

2. Arthur Smith

Current role: Offensive coordinator -- Tennessee Titans

Smith is a hot candidate after the work he has done with Ryan Tannehill since he became the Titans quarterback in Week 7. Tannehill is first in the league in yards per attempt (8.5), third in touchdowns (550) and third in passer rating (111.3) among NFL quarterbacks since becoming the Titans starter -- some of the best numbers in the NFL at the position. Then there's Derrick Henry, who has led the NFL with 3,565 yards rushing over the past two seasons (875 more than the second on the list, Dalvin Cook). The Titans offense was tied for second in total yards per game (396.4) and fourth in points per game (30.7) in 2020.

If there's any coach that can fix Wentz and make him one of the game's top quarterbacks again, Smith is the guy. The Eagles will certainly take the Carson Wentz that threw 81 touchdowns to just 21 interceptions from 2017 to 2019. 

3. Brian Daboll

Current role: Offensive coordinator -- Buffalo Bills

Daboll is the architect of the emergence of Josh Allen as the NFL's most-improved quarterback -- and one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL this season. Allen set Bills franchise marks in passing yards (4,544) and passing touchdowns (37) in a season while leading the league in completion percentage inside the pocket (73.4). The Bills offense was second in points per game (31.3) and tied for second in total yards per game (396.4) in 2020, thanks to the emergence of Allen and a solid mix of run plays and pass plays. 

Daboll comes from a winning culture with five Super Bowl rings under Bill Belichick and has established himself as a rising play caller in the league. Given his work with Allen, the Eagles would be wise to give Daboll a call and see what he has in store for Wentz or Hurts. 

4. James Urban 

Current role: Quarterbacks coach -- Baltimore Ravens

If the Eagles want to commit to Hurts as the starting quarterback, they should strongly consider the work Urban has done with Lamar Jackson over the last two years. Jackson is the first quarterback to have two 1,000-yard rushing seasons and won the NFL MVP in 2019 while leading the league in touchdown passes. Over the last two seasons, Jackson has completed 65.25% of his passes for 5,884 yards with 62 touchdowns to 15 interceptions (106.6 rating) and 2,211 rushing yards to 14 touchdowns (6.6 yards per carry). 

Urban is also a former assistant coach under Reid from 2004 to 2010, coaching Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick to a Pro Bowl when he was the team's quarterbacks coach in his last two seasons (2009, 2010). His work with quarterbacks and the opportunity to call plays for the first time could be enough for a good marriage between the Eagles and Urban (who actually turned down a chance to be the Eagles offensive coordinator last year). 

Urban isn't on the radar for head coaching vacancies, but neither was Reid in 1999. That turned out well for Philadelphia. 

5. Lincoln Riley 

Current role: Head coach -- Oklahoma Sooners

Getting Riley to leave the college ranks to the NFL will be difficult, but that doesn't mean Riley could be intrigued by the possibility of working with Hurts again. Riley is an innovator in football circles, allowing his playmakers to get the ball in space as a result of quick passes -- giving his quarterback multiple options before the ball is snapped. Hurts thrived with the options presented to get rid of the ball quickly or use his legs to make a play and move the chains. 

A former college quarterback at Texas Tech, the Sooners are 45-8 in the four seasons with Riley as head coach. Riley has developed Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray into No. 1 overall picks and reinvented Hurts' game. His knowledge of the air raid offense and his development of quarterbacks should intrigue the Eagles. Maybe his offensive system could fix Wentz if the Eagles keep him around. 

6. Jim Caldwell 

Current role: Unemployed

If the Eagles went a head coach with experience, Caldwell is a very ideal candidate. Caldwell spent seven seasons as the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions, compiling a 62-50 record in his head coaching career with three 10-win seasons -- including leading the Colts to an appearance in Super Bowl XLIV. Caldwell went 26-22 from 2009 to 2011 with the Colts -- 24-8 in the two years he had Peyton Manning at quarterback (Manning missed all of 2011 with a neck injury). 

Caldwell was hired by the Lions in 2014 after two seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, which included a stint as the offensive coordinator -- that guided Joe Flacco to 11 touchdowns and no interceptions in the 2012 postseason -- leading Baltimore to the Super Bowl XLVII title. He finished 36-28 in four seasons with Detroit, taking the Lions to two postseason appearances.

Caldwell is 65 years old, but his work with quarterbacks and getting the most out of them speaks for itself. He's had a top-10 passing offense four times and helped Matthew Stafford throw 107 touchdown passes and have 17,292 passing yards in the four years he was head coach. 

Caldwell could reinvent Wentz and get the Eagles back to playoff contention immediately. He deserves another shot in the NFL as a head coach after his stint in Detroit. 

7. Mike Kafka 

Current role: Quarterbacks coach/passing game coordinator -- Kansas City Chiefs

The Eagles tried to get Kafka to become their offensive coordinator last year, but they were blocked by the Chiefs after Kansas City promoted him to their passing game coordinator. The 33-year old Kafka -- a former Eagles quarterback -- guided the Chiefs passing offense to the most passing yards per game in the NFL (300.4). Kansas City was fifth in 2019 and third in 2018 in passing offense, Kafka's other two seasons as quarterbacks coach. 

Just look at Mahomes' success for how well Kafka has done as quarterbacks coach. A head coaching job will be heading Kafka's way soon, but he'll be Bieniemy's successor as the Chiefs offensive coordinator. Kafka owes it to himself if the Eagles ask for an interview, a young voice the team needs -- and someone who can work with Wentz and Hurts. Let's not forget he's from the Reid tree, so there's another positive going for him. Kafka will be a head coach in the NFL at some point. 

8. Robert Saleh

Current role: Defensive coordinator -- San Francisco 49ers

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie hasn't hired a defensive head coach since Ray Rhodes in 1995 and has favored offensive coaches in his other head coaching searches, but the Eagles owe it to themselves to give Saleh a look. Saleh is one of the rising coaches in the NFL, as the 49ers have allowed the fewest yards per game in the league over the last two years (298.1) and the 10th-fewest points in the league. Saleh won Super Bowl XLVIII with the Seahawks in 2013 as a defensive quality control coach, helping guide the "Legion of Boom" into one of the dominant defenses in the league. 

The Eagles need to revamp their defense and already have one of the best pass rushing units in the league. Actually focusing on the linebacker position and having a competent secondary would help the Eagles compete with the high-powered offenses in the league. Saleh can hire an offensive play caller to work on that side of the ball and develop a quarterback. 

Hiring a defensive coach is a long shot for the Eagles, but Saleh is one of the best in the league in that department. His players also play hard for him -- just ask the 2020 49ers in the final month of the season. 

9. Brandon Staley

Current role: Defensive coordinator -- Los Angeles Rams

Staley is one of the rising young defensive minds in the NFL -- just look at his work in his first season as the Rams defensive coordinator. 

First in the NFL in opponent yards per play 4.6)

First in the NFL in pass defense (190.7)

First in the NFL in opponent big plays (20-plus yards) allowed (38)

First in the NFL in total defense (281.9)

First in the NFL in scoring defense (18.5)

First in the NFL in opponent three-and-out percentage (27.9%)

Second in the NFL in sacks (53)

Third in the NFL in rush defense (91.3)

Third in the NFL in third down defense (35.4%)

The 38-year old Staley is bound to get a big raise from the Rams, but he's earned a promotion to be a head coach already. His defensive scheme is relentless in getting to the quarterback, which greatly benefits the Eagles. Staley can turn the Eagles defense around and hire a young mastermind play caller to work on reinvigorating a dormant offense. Like Saleh, wouldn't hurt the Eagles to give Staley an interview. 

10. Duce Staley 

Current role: Assistant head coach -- Philadelphia Eagles 

If the Eagles want to promote from within, Staley would be a popular choice to be the next Eagles head coach. A fan favorite from his playing days as an Eagles running back, Staley has earned an opportunity to interview for the job again -- and a chance to actually call plays. 

Staley is one of the few head coaches on Pederson's staff that actually develops players (see Miles Sanders, Boston Scott, and Corey Clement over the years) and gets the most out of them. Eagles players respect Staley in the locker room and he has been a motivator on the coaching staff. 

The Eagles deserve to hear what Staley has to offer. A commitment to the running game in an evolving run-heavy NFL could be just what Wentz or Hurts need over the next several seasons. better to have either quarterback as an efficient passer than someone who doesn't have to carry the team every week. That's what Staley will provide to the Eagles offense, a fresh look for a stale unit
Give me Daboll, Smith, Brandon Staley (Not just because we got the same first name either), Saleh. I like James Urbin as an offensive guy but lets be real. Jackson has issues. He looked horrible most of the game yesterday and when he did well a lot of the passes were dink and dunk passes. Already seeing ton of chinks in his armor. Don't get me wrong I like Urbin in general I just don't buy the Ravens offensive success consistently. Theres been games they've looked really really bad. Urbin definitely gets credit for making an offense that Fits Jackson but I think its more of an offensive coach using the strengths of the players he has. 

I already discussed why the Eagles should stay away from Riley though 

On why Howie is still here, Lurie touts the people he surrounds himself with (pointing out 2 of them moved on to be GMs last year and a few more are on that path) and his good track record evaluating where players will go in the draft (cites examples of players they wanted/ranked high as going ahead of where they are picking.)

So, basically, he's good at grooming good GMs for other teams and mock drafts.  :crazy:
Based on what we've heard from Deranged Hermit over the years from his buddy there have been a lot of times the Eagles were taking a guy but they got picked ahead of where they picked. Then you got the Easton Stick/Thorson situation late in draft. I remember DH also saying the Eagles wanted Dexter McCluster back in the day. I've heard a few similar stories of the Eagles wanting certain players and them going earlier then they expected. I don't know if the Eagles are too loyal to their draft board target or just not great at value these guys higher 

How much sense is he talking today? 

Summary for the out of towners?
Just essentially going over all the stuff Doug F’d up on this year. He just does it in a way that Marks doesn’t know how to respond and it’s all authentic. He also went into how big a deal it was that Doug basically threatened to quit following the Groh firing and than wanted to bring the entire staff back again. 

It’s a crappy paraphrase but he’s just good and it’s not done to drum up calls. 

Talks about how SB year, it wasn't just a "patch up job", it was a full change....

He knows where the team is at now, and that a 'patch up job" isn't going to work anymore.  They thought it would in the past few years, as they thought they were competitive still, but now they are looking to re tool and transition the team.

Seems like he is accepting that we need to blow it up and start fresh.  This is good.
The SB really jaded a lot of people. Lets face it we got lucky and played well over expectations besides a few players. I remember when my Co workers son started he told his mom all the coaches knew this was gonna be a big ask to change this team up based on how much Chip trashed it. Howie was able to finagle a few guys away and get to a position to draft Wentz. Then we had a desperate really dumb GM we've taken advantage of before in Speilman to give up a first rounder for Sam Bradford. Everything clicked that year despite the injuries. Remember hearing that we were lucky to have a first round bye as it allowed the coaching staff time to change the offense to get Foles comfortable. Without that bye week a lot thought they would be finished in the playoffs. We got luck against ATL who had Julio 3 times in the EZ. Thought for sure Mills should've been called twice for DPI. Minny was pretty overrated outside of their Defense and had a QB who's cinderella story hit midnight. Then we beat the Patriots in an improbable matter. Credit where credit is do to the coaching staff and players but the team still had significant issues and after the SB everyone including the fans and media seemed to forget that. They were bound to regress unless those issues got fixed. 

Head coaching vacancies/QB's

Jags- LAWRENCE
Jets- FIELDS?
Chargers- HERBERT
Texans- WATSON
Falcons- RYAN
Lions- STAFFORD
Eagles- WENTZ/HURTS

Gotta think ours is the worst QB situation of all the HC openings.
Disagree Ryan has degreased and is just a name only. They are in cap hell too. Stafford is good but how many more yrs will he play? As for the Texans if the reports are true that the Org didn't listen to Watson who's gonna want to join a Football club where the org doesn't even listen let alone at least give an interview to suggestions and treat their Franchise QB that way? I think we're the #3 destination especially since I don't trust the Jets nor am I a huge Fields or OSU QB fan 

Hurts went middle of round 2.   Fields will go top 5.   Hurts will have the better career
4 rounds too early for a project QB who's most likely an NFL back up. Fields based on play warrants a top 5 selection but I wouldn't touch a OSU QB with a 100 foot pole. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash

Users who are viewing this thread