What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (3 Viewers)

I think Greg Ward’s days on the team are numbered.

Based on some things Sirianni has said, that he expects all WRs to know all the positions and guys are not locked into particular roles.  He said that in the context of the X position but I wonder if the same applies to slot?

Also, many times he has talked about the priority of getting the ball into playmaker’s hands.  Ward has such a limited ceiling in that sense. Smith and Reagor are locks, Fulgham hopefully shows enough to earn a spot and some time.  From there I would rather take a chance on Hightower and Watkins than Ward.
They also signed Trevon Grimes out of UF who can play as an X WR in UDFA. Considering the only other WR who can play that Position (could make a small argument for Fulgham there) is JJAW very likely he could make the team with a good camp and preseason 

In some NFC news according to Scheftar if Bears hadn't traded up for Justin Field the Vikings would've taken him at #14. I wonder if Kurt Cousins "Likes that?" 

With the Aaron Rodgers drama going on if he is traded I hope for the Eagles sake he goes to the AFC. I really like Rodgers. Rodgers praised WR Jake Kumerow last year who was then cut during final cuts. Rodgers wants more input on personal decisions as well which at this stage he more then deserves an opinion in the room. 

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the Packers releasing receiver Jake Kumerow before the season last year “drove Rodgers nuts” and was “described as a little bit of a death knell in the relationship” between the quarterback and decision-makers in the organization.

Also relevant to last nights Jersey Topic I almost just bought an Aaron Rodgers jersey. I haven't bought any other NFL teams jersey ever. My Grandparent bought me a Cunningham Vikings jersey and I had an Elway when I was younger as well. My Brother had a Steve Young. Just goes to show how real this curse is. I have numerous other examples of this jersey curse in other sports too over the years. 

From Breer’s MMQB...

DeVonta Smith’s case is going to be an interesting one. You’ve seen Smith’s weight from the medical combine in Indy: 166 pounds. You probably, one way or the other, have a take on it. You might also know that only two receivers in the 10 drafts between 2011 and ’20 who were under 6' 1" and 200 pounds went in the top 10, and those two selections (Tavon Austin and John Ross) fell well short of expectations. And you may have heard me point to Hall of Famer Isaac Bruce (173 pounds at the 1994 combine) as a comp for Smith. Now, we’ll give you two interesting pieces of information from his Alabama days that I think are important as to his future and what the Eagles are getting in the 10th pick.

1) Bama tried to put weight on Smith during his four years in Tuscaloosa, and by his second year on campus, it became clear to those there that Nick Saban had made peace with the fact that it wasn’t going to happen the same way it routinely would with other players. "He’s gonna be 165 pounds, no matter what,” Saban said in meetings going back to Smith’s sophomore year. The focus from there, for Saban and the strength staff, was in helping Smith get faster and stronger, not necessarily bigger.

2) At his size, it’s worth mentioning that toughness was never a concern for the Tide staff. And one piece of proof on that: Saban moved Smith over to defense for a short period of time in 2018. It was for only a few practices, but Bama caught the injury bug at corner and needed reinforcements. With a historically deep receiver corps (as the 2020 and ’21 drafts would show), the coaches felt comfortable looking for an athlete there to fill in. That led them to Smith, because of his long arms, and willingness, as displayed on special teams, to deliver and receive contact. I’m told, over that short period, Smith showed potential as a press corner and didn’t look even a little out of place.

On the first point, Smith is different. On the second point, Smith is different. And his production is different, too—otherwise, he wouldn’t have become the first Heisman-winning receiver in 29 years. That’s good. Because he’ll have to keep being different to make it. Yup, I like the Bruce comp. It’s also telling that you’ve got to reach back 27 years to find it. So we’ll see. What I can say is that there are a lot of people who believe he’ll make it happen. "We asked all the SEC guys who the best player they played against was over the last couple months,” said one NFC exec. "All of them, every one, said DeVonta. And the Bama guys all said, ‘He’s the best football player I’ve ever been around.’ ”

Per Scheftar about JOK dropping 

Notre Dame LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah had a heart issue that came up late in the process and was a concern for most teams, which is why he fell out of the first round and to second round and pick No. 52 with Cleveland, per sources. Doctors ultimately cleared Owusu-Koramoah but it did contribute to him going later than expected.

DJackson10 said:
In some NFC news according to Scheftar if Bears hadn't traded up for Justin Field the Vikings would've taken him at #14. I wonder if Kurt Cousins "Likes that?" 

With the Aaron Rodgers drama going on if he is traded I hope for the Eagles sake he goes to the AFC. I really like Rodgers. Rodgers praised WR Jake Kumerow last year who was then cut during final cuts. Rodgers wants more input on personal decisions as well which at this stage he more then deserves an opinion in the room. 

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the Packers releasing receiver Jake Kumerow before the season last year “drove Rodgers nuts” and was “described as a little bit of a death knell in the relationship” between the quarterback and decision-makers in the organization.

Also relevant to last nights Jersey Topic I almost just bought an Aaron Rodgers jersey. I haven't bought any other NFL teams jersey ever. My Grandparent bought me a Cunningham Vikings jersey and I had an Elway when I was younger as well. My Brother had a Steve Young. Just goes to show how real this curse is. I have numerous other examples of this jersey curse in other sports too over the years. 
Wrong thread. 

DJackson10 said:
I'd prefer if we never drafted the kid since he was only drafted to appease a coaching staff no longer here 
Unless you have a Delorean, just hope the player we have works out. Can't change the past, embrace the future!

Per Adam Caplan, everyone in the Eagles front office wanted 4th round pick Zech McPhearson: “the kid they drafted in the 4th round they love. They are very high on this kid, they think they got a sleeper...the whole room was like, this is the guy.”
Gotta like that they were excited about the pick. Even if we know...nothing 😛

Missed the jersey talk.   I got a jersey addiction.   My family loves to get me these as gifts.

Eagles jerseys:  black Dawkins, black jackson, green Jackson, green sanders, black Westbrook, green mccoy

green wentz (never wearing again)

Think I'm gonna get a white smith

Always wanted a kelly green Reggie white or cunningham......

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Scheftar about JOK dropping 

Notre Dame LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah had a heart issue that came up late in the process and was a concern for most teams, which is why he fell out of the first round and to second round and pick No. 52 with Cleveland, per sources. Doctors ultimately cleared Owusu-Koramoah but it did contribute to him going later than expected.
also saw this on Eagles reddit too:

[McLane] Howie Roseman said on WIP this morning Tom Donahoe wanted NC State DT Alim McNeill when #Eagles traded back for Milton Williams. Can confirm from 2 independent sources that was the case. But he wasn’t only one who wanted McNeill. Donahoe also thought another 6th was needless.

ETA: i am sure it was already posted in here, but the local media had to love this for giving it so much material they could write about it. got a whole article out of that 8 second clip:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/howie-roseman-tom-donahoe-nfl-draft-awkward-moment-milton-williams-alim-mcneill

Last edited by a moderator:
also saw this on Eagles reddit too:

[McLane] Howie Roseman said on WIP this morning Tom Donahoe wanted NC State DT Alim McNeill when #Eagles traded back for Milton Williams. Can confirm from 2 independent sources that was the case. But he wasn’t only one who wanted McNeill. Donahoe also thought another 6th was needless.

ETA: i am sure it was already posted in here, but the local media had to love this for giving it so much material they could write about it. got a whole article out of that 8 second clip:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/howie-roseman-tom-donahoe-nfl-draft-awkward-moment-milton-williams-alim-mcneill
Was the extra 6 one we dealt to Washington for the 5 next year?

The more I thought about this event the more I’m thinking Donahoe was kind of a ##### at that moment. This guy has been around a long time, had to know camera would be around, and is acting like a baby. He’s a director and needs to be above that 

Was the extra 6 one we dealt to Washington for the 5 next year?

The more I thought about this event the more I’m thinking Donahoe was kind of a ##### at that moment. This guy has been around a long time, had to know camera would be around, and is acting like a baby. He’s a director and needs to be above that 
Agree, even if you want a different pick, once it’s made get on board.

Missed the jersey talk.   I got a jersey addiction.   My family loves to get me these as gifts.

Eagles jerseys:  black Dawkins, black jackson, green Jackson, green sanders, black Westbrook, green mccoy

green wentz (never wearing again)

Think I'm gonna get a white smith

Always wanted a kelly green Reggie white or cunningham......
My Cunningham is Kelly Green. I'm eventually getting a Jerome Brown. He actually died on my birthday 

I do still wish we would have gotten Horn or Surtain....

But.  At least this should give no excuse to get a good sense of what Hurts is about next year, as well allow Reagor a better chance to thrive. I'm still skeptical - but man, it would help this team so much if Hurts CAN play. Doesn't need to be an all-star..just give consistent decent QB play so we can use these 1st rounders next year to build the team around him.

But.  At least this should give no excuse to get a good sense of what Hurts is about next year, as well allow Reagor a better chance to thrive. I'm still skeptical - but man, it would help this team so much if Hurts CAN play. Doesn't need to be an all-star..just give consistent decent QB play so we can use these 1st rounders next year to build the team around him.
If we use those first rounders next year to manuever and get Stingley, I'm good. 

babydemon90 said:

I disagree. Hurts being a 2nd rounder needs to be really good. Now if you are just talking about this next season I agree but to have that for his career is unacceptable where he was drafted. That's not his fault though since the team did over draft him but a huge margin. 

PA Gov Tom Wolf announces restrictions lifted on Tues so we could be full capacity at the Line by Week 1. I believe the NFL did announce only vaccinated fans will be allowed in the stadiums this coming season though but I could be wrong. 

Pennsylvania will be relaxing its COVID-19-related safety measures on businesses and public places in time for the unofficial start of summer. But, Philadelphia and other municipalities can lift rules on their own timeline.

At 12:01 a.m. on May 31, all COVID restrictions will be lifted, the Wolf Administration said Tuesday. Mask wearing in public places will continue, however.

The state continues to urge every person 16 and older to get a COVID-19 vaccine as 70% of the adult population must be vaccinated to lift the mask mandate.

Gov Wolf announces covid restrictions

Eagles All-time QB Total Seasons leaders:

• McNabb - 11
  • Cunningham - 11
  • Jaworski - 10
  • Koy Detmer - 10 😲
Kinda forgot how long he hung around mostly as the 3rd QB/holder. 

I disagree. Hurts being a 2nd rounder needs to be really good. Now if you are just talking about this next season I agree but to have that for his career is unacceptable where he was drafted. That's not his fault though since the team did over draft him but a huge margin. 
Man if you think 2nd round picks need to be All-Stars to justify their draft position, you are going to be disappointed 99% of the time.

Man if you think 2nd round picks need to be All-Stars to justify their draft position, you are going to be disappointed 99% of the time.
For the QB position yes I believe they should be playing very well. Most important position on the field other than QBs blindside

For the QB position yes I believe they should be playing very well. Most important position on the field other than QBs blindside
Football Outsiders did a study in 2017 of QBs taken by round from 1994-2016. There were 25 QBs taken in the second round during that time. At the time they rated 6 of those as "good."

Brees (13), Kaepernick, Dalton (3 - always a replacement), Plummer (1), Kordell Stewart (1), Derek Carr (3 - two as replacement) are those good QBs with their Pro Bowl numbers also listed. Outside of Brees I see 3 total Pro Bowl seasons earned, and 3 more as a replacement. I personally checked on the intervening years since that study, and you'll see luminaries like DeShone Kizer, Drew Lock, and Jalen Hurts added to that list.

You may want to set your expectations a little differently for a second round QB. 

You may want to set your expectations a little differently for a second round QB. 
That's what I was trying to tell him.  Hurts was drafted with the 53rd pick.  Statistically speaking - 16% of the players in that tier (51-60) ever make a Pro Bowl.  Meaning 84% of the players drafted where Jalen Hurts is do NOT make a Pro Bowl - so Expecting that level of play is silly and unrealistic.  The add in the fact QB's are typically drafted higher then they should be due to the importance of the position, and its even less likely.

If he plays average (which would be a huge improvement over last years games) - I'll be thrilled.

I’ve been thinking about what level of play I’d want to see from Hurts next year to leave him at QB and use those 3 picks (probably) to fill out the rest of the team.  I might be on my own, but I think if he’s a middle tier, competent but not spectacular player, I’d be OK moving forwards with him. Goff and Jimmy G both made Superbowls and that’s where they sit.

Last year, Average age of starting QB's  was 29.1, average QB rating was 94.6, and average QBR was 63.7.

To make the playoffs, the average age was 31.7, rating was 101.15, and QBR was 71.7

To miss the playoffs, the average age was 27, rating was 89.9, and QBR was 57.7.

(more pronounced was sacks, on average losing QB were sacked 31.6 times, vs 22 for playoff QB's)

I wonder if there's an stat analysis at what level of QB play you need to get into the playoffs, and what you need to make the SuperBowl, etc...
I feel like it is SO dependent on way too many other factors and situations.

Have average QB's won SBs?  Ya, sure.  But you need other things to be damn near perfect.

For Hurts to win us a SB, I'd say he will have to be top 10 in the league.

With KJ added, no clue how Howard makes this team.

100% Chance:
Sanders
Gainwell

75% Chance:
Scott

50% Chance:
KJ

1% Chance:
Howard

I’ve been thinking about what level of play I’d want to see from Hurts next year to leave him at QB and use those 3 picks (probably) to fill out the rest of the team.  I might be on my own, but I think if he’s a middle tier, competent but not spectacular player, I’d be OK moving forwards with him. Goff and Jimmy G both made Superbowls and that’s where they sit.
I need to see growth. I’m sure there’s a way to statistically quantify it beyond TD/INT ratio and completion % but I need to see 25/15 and 60% while passing the eyeball test being a passer first, runner second. I don’t think any of those expectations are unreasonable for a guy who got his feet wet as a rookie last year. 

I feel like it is SO dependent on way too many other factors and situations.

Have average QB's won SBs?  Ya, sure.  But you need other things to be damn near perfect.

For Hurts to win us a SB, I'd say he will have to be top 10 in the league.
For a Superbowl...yea, probably very hard to win without a QB playing at a top 10 level. If you quantify it at QBR, I'd even say you USUALLY need a QB playing at 70+ QBR.  There are exceptions, like Manning or Joe Flacco with terrific defenses, but unless you have a god-level defense, you need to be at that level.

Football Outsiders did a study in 2017 of QBs taken by round from 1994-2016. There were 25 QBs taken in the second round during that time. At the time they rated 6 of those as "good."

Brees (13), Kaepernick, Dalton (3 - always a replacement), Plummer (1), Kordell Stewart (1), Derek Carr (3 - two as replacement) are those good QBs with their Pro Bowl numbers also listed. Outside of Brees I see 3 total Pro Bowl seasons earned, and 3 more as a replacement. I personally checked on the intervening years since that study, and you'll see luminaries like DeShone Kizer, Drew Lock, and Jalen Hurts added to that list.

That's all and good but he's replacing a QB who I think can still be a top 5 player in this league at the position. So I'm factoring in IMHO on the guy he is replacing. 

So I talked to one of my sources today as he comes into my store. We talked about the draft, Ertz, Hurts/Wentz (Dam thats a lot of TZ and TS there), why guys dropped and some personal stuff with each other. General brake down and trust me I kept this as sort as I could @Deamon  :D

Draft: He really liked it especially the Zech pick. I told him I didn't understand the Johnson pick at first but only because I was at work. He really liked the trade up on Smith (more on this in a bit) and he loved grabbing the pick for next year the 5th rounder as well as Tarron Jackson who he thinks could fill the Josh Sweat role this season as he sees sweat getting more playing time. Said the team really like Trevon Grimes and were shocked he went undrafted. Believes he has an inside track on the X WR spot to possibly back up Fulgham over JJAW with his former OC/QB coach in Philly in Brian Johnson. Believes Reagor will play the slot with Smith becoming the DJAC role. Thinks they will mix in more Watkins/Hightower this season. Fulgham ends up being the X but is subbed out for one of the other speedsters if they want to spread the field more. 

Moehring/JOK/ETC: I asked if he heard anything why Moehring dropped other then the back issue. He gave the usual well a lot of stuff that is medical never comes out publicly and there may have been more then just a back issue with him. Teams couldn't do their full evaluations with no combine evaluations of players. They were incredible scared off by JOK's Medicals and took him OFF THEIR BOARD COMPLETELY. He said we'll see in the long run if Browns taking a chance on him and us not favors us or not.   He also mentioned the NFL Network report that a lot of teams didn't have a lot of tape or scouting reports for a lot of the Day 3 guys besides what they had. With guys opting out this past season they had to solely rely on tape seen from 2019 and before on some guys. Evaluations became really hard and team by the 5th round were throwing darts on a board and hoping the guys they picked do well. 

Roseman/Donahue issue: He said from what he heard Donahue was mad about not getting a player he wanted. Wasn't sure who the guy was but they had passed on the guy believing he'd be there with the next pick. Per the report earlier it sounds like it was one of the 2 names that escape me right now they wanted. Said it shouldn't be a huge story but with the Athletic report its gonna be and idiots like Cataldi/Mikey Miss will make a mountain out of the ordeal. 

Smith/Pitts/Chase/CBs: We both wanted them to take Pitts at 6 if he got there but both agreed in the end the trade back worked out. He gave Roseman credit for only using a 3rd rounder to move up. The team liked Chase but felt they had no chance getting him and felt if MIA didn't take him CIncy might to team with Burrow. They had interest in Surtain the most in the draft out of the CBs but really wanted to rectify the Reagor pick and hit on a WR this year. They really liked Smith and his toughness and believe he's gonna become a fan favorite really fast. 

Wentz: Wentz never wanted to leave Philly. It was mostly his agent pushing the agenda to leave. Lurie had a personal meeting (Himself) With Wentz and his agent no one else. Wentz was ok seeing how this year goes but his agent was insistent on having him traded. Lurie even told them ihe wasn't gonna just give Wentz away and many higher ups including Howie wanted to keep Wentz and reluctant to let him go. Carson's issues were mainly with Roseman but felt he could still lead the team. Carson is never gonna say anything bad about the team no matter how hard people will try and press him for a headline. Said Carson didn't want to speak publicly till the ordeal was over because he knew no matter what he said people will twist his words to fit an agenda causing more aggravation.

Carson's issues with Doug like the Athletic article said was mostly about the play calling. It seems a lot of people were right that Reich was the main made scientist behind the offense. Carson's football IQ is one of the best and it was frustrating for him being the smartest guy in the room and having to be coached by people basically who weren't as smart as you. He likened it to a student who was a lot smarter then their own teacher and once they figured it out just tuned them out and did their own thing.

Hurts: The team isn't sold on Hurts. Howie came out today announcing Hurts was the starter just for house keeping and PR and get people off Sirriani's back. Said he still believes the Eagles are looking at QB in the 1st next year and they hope with the ammo they have depending where they are if one guy goes off like Burrow or starts to shoot up the draft board like Wentz they got the ammo to move up. QB IS TOP PRIORITY IN THIS ORGANIZATION AND HAS BEEN FOR YRS so don't be surprised if they pass on one of the top corners first if they are in position to get very highly rated QB early. Depending where the MIA pick falls could take the CB then. He believes Hurts has to have an astronomical great season next year for the team not to consider QB but his play may not matter. Their interest in Zach Wilson was legit. When I say Legit I mean they fell in love with the guy. When they realized they couldn't get Wilson they made the trade back. The talks were quick as they were already talking to both SF and Mia. Essentially it was a 3 team trade in the end. He said he wouldn't have liked the trade back had we not acquired a 1st for next year. 

ERTZ: The team is asking too much. Howie is receiving solely 5th rounders for him and he's playing the long game. Ertz's agent is beyond frustrated. He thinks if Howie can somehow get a 4th for Ertz he has to take it. Didn't sound like thought Ertz agent was frustrated that they'd hold out though (at least yet). Still believes in the end Ertz is gone and they might have to bite the bullet and just release him post June. 

I asked about NFL Vaccination policy too with fans. He hadn't heard anything and believes the only Vaccinated fans was a state by state thing. Thinks the NFL will definitely do something to entice fans to get vaccinated but hasn't heard specifics on protocols for them or teams that get fully vaccinated and stuff. 

Thats all I have for now. 

At this point, do they have to release Ertz? They're under the cap now. They gain no cap relief by cutting him. Only a trade helps with that and they're not going to give him away. I think they might bring him back if no one gives them a 3rd. 

At this point, do they have to release Ertz? They're under the cap now. They gain no cap relief by cutting him. Only a trade helps with that and they're not going to give him away. I think they might bring him back if no one gives them a 3rd. 
Depends how PO'd his agent is if they don't settle things. I think Ertz wants to stay but the issue is they want a contract extension I'm ok extending Ertz another year or 2 till we have options on a much lesser deal and if he accepts being the TE2 though. 

For a Superbowl...yea, probably very hard to win without a QB playing at a top 10 level. If you quantify it at QBR, I'd even say you USUALLY need a QB playing at 70+ QBR.  There are exceptions, like Manning or Joe Flacco with terrific defenses, but unless you have a god-level defense, you need to be at that level.
While I don't disagree with your overall point, I've seen the bolded posted a lot in these kinds of discussions and it's not really the case.

The 2012 Ravens defense was not very good - certainly not by their standards. They were awful against the run and I don't recall them being much better against the pass. They got torched by both Denver and SF in the playoffs. Ray Lewis was a complete liability and Ed Reed's body had broken down. Suggs & Ngata were in their primes. The rest was kind of a mess.

On the flip side, Flacco went on one of the all-time playoff runs by a QB.

Depends how PO'd his agent is if they don't settle things. I think Ertz wants to stay but the issue is they want a contract extension I'm ok extending Ertz another year or 2 till we have options on a much lesser deal and if he accepts being the TE2 though. 
I'd pretty much level with the agent and say look what are you gonna do? He has basically one more year at $12m and then they can trade or cut him next year. $12m is better than what he'd get on the market right now. 

He has to go now IMO. He doesn’t fit into the rebuild and you have to see what you have in Goedert for better or worse before he rolls. 

Wentz being the "smartest guy in the room" is laughable. Come on, the tape showed tons of bad decisions, missed reads, etc..  Give me a break there. If Wentz continues to blame others and not own up that he was at fault - he's not going to last. That kind of report makes me glad we traded him.

Wentz being the "smartest guy in the room" is laughable. Come on, the tape showed tons of bad decisions, missed reads, etc..  Give me a break there. If Wentz continues to blame others and not own up that he was at fault - he's not going to last. That kind of report makes me glad we traded him.
Taking a sack for a safety was brilliant Carson. Sharp guy that Wentz

I think Greg Ward’s days on the team are numbered.
NBC Sports' Dave Zangaro projected WR Greg Ward as a 2021 starter for the Eagles. Zangaro said Ward is the favorite to start the season as the team's lot receiver. Devonta Smith and Jalen Reagor would serve as outside receivers in the Eagles' Jalen Hurts-led offense. Ward, a converted quarterback who -- incredibly -- always ends up as the team's top wideout for stretches of the season, would presumably be third or fourth in the offense's target pecking order behind Smith, Reagor, and Dallas Goedert

I think it’s time to move on, they do get cap relief by cutting him, and more for this year if it’s post June 1. They need to let Goedert play and Ertz makes too much $$ to be a guy who plays 30% of snaps.

At this point I think they’ll release or trade him post June 1.  Has to be resolved before the mandatory minicamp on June 8. 

Users who are viewing this thread