Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Bet no one had "Taken to the woodshed by Jason Kelce" on their Ben Simmons Drama Bingo card

We all knew this team was 7 wins at best. What I didn't expect was the coach to be completely out of his depth. Where did the play calling from week 1 go? He had better figure things out real quick.

• Like 2

Just now, Insein said:

We all knew this team was 7 wins at best. What I didn't expect was the coach to be completely out of his depth. Where did the play calling from week 1 go? He had better figure things out real quick.

It’s the one major thing we never really discussed. This staff is YOUNG and very inexperienced. 

9 minutes ago, Insein said:

Hes gone already.  I'm calling it.   Wear your t-shirts somewhere else

11 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

It’s the one major thing we never really discussed. This staff is YOUNG and very inexperienced. 

I think it had been discussed quite a bit, at least early on.  But yea, the coaching staff is going to have growing pains too. They are going to get experience. Relax, let the season play out. We were never competing for a Super Bowl this year. We all knew that. We knew there would be growing pains. So - let's see how things look at the end of the season. Going ape#### 3 games in is silly.  This was a 4 win team last year. Expecting a rookie head coach that had never called plays before to turn it into a playoff contender overnight with a very rough QB is setting unrealistic expectations.

• Like 3

I'm not even mad about the loss itself. I had a terrible feeling about this game going in. Don't ask why but I did. 

Just more upset with the play calling and Hurts play. I don't even remember him playing that poorly in College. Like it was said in the game thread we should've had more pts and they did leave plays on the field a Competent QB makes. Hurts timing is still off, the INT he completely under threw it, he has one read and doesn't go through his progressions at all. That Pick 6 was a completely poor read by Hurts who was throwing that no matter what. Don't get barely any run plays. O-line wasn't great and we probably lost Seamulo for the year, but Hurts needs to do better to help his Oline. Lucky to get rid of the ball at their own goal line and avoid a safety but he needs to get rid of it sooner in the EZ.  

Defense got completely dominated tonight. I think the TE's doing well was based on game tape and trying to shut down Dal WRs more so then Dal doing well with TEs. Looked like they were trying to prevent the big play over the top and gave Dal anything short and keep plays in front and hopefully tackle well. Run D is a concern with no BG in there. 

Disappointed in lack of Gainwell/Sanders tonight. 

• Laughing 1

I think this was said in the Game Thread but will be interesting to see how Both Sirianni and Hurts handle the media this week going into the KC game. Fortunately for them Ben Simmons could still dominate some of the Headlines as well. 

8 hours ago, Insein said:

He's money when he has months to prepare a game plan and the element of unknown where the other team hasn't seen your offense before. Then after that, not so much.

Baseball has "openers" now, maybe he can be a coaching opener for a different team at the start of each year...

8 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Eagles had zero plays with motion at the snap tonight, per @ESPNStatsInfo

I noticed this from the start and through the first half. I'm thinking they tried to simplify things for the players (and maybe even Hurts specifically) for whatever reason. Maybe because of how they played in the SF game, or maybe to focus on "fundamentals" against the Cowboys, but in today's NFL it's not going to work. If we wanted simple and vanilla, Doug would still be here. 

8 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

And BTW, that penalty total we have is a record through 3 games 

For all the talk of focusing on the simple things, being fundamentally sound, making everyone accountable, etc. they have been the most undisciplined team in the NFL.

Maybe the "dog mentality" of forgetting when you do something bad has gone too far and that's why they keep repeating dumb penalties 🐶 🧠

6 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Hurts might be the new king of FF garbage time points.   If your league does not penalize for INTs Hurts had a decent night.

Even if you do get penalized for INTs, he'll put up good numbers. Really no different than last year - those rushing totals mean a lot in fantasy terms even if in real life it's not so good.

3 carries for your running backs for a QB starting his 7th game. This makes no sense. Jalen might not feel like he has to make all the plays if you don't make him make all the plays. He did not play well, but jeez, Nick, help a guy out.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Even if you do get penalized for INTs, he'll put up good numbers. Really no different than last year - those rushing totals mean a lot in fantasy terms even if in real life it's not so good.

I agree..you want QBs that play bad enough early for their team to fall behind so they can rack up points in the second half.

One league I played in was -4 for picks, -6 for a pick six.  so that "Hurts" a little more.

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Da Guru said:

I agree..you want QBs that play bad enough early for their team to fall behind so they can rack up points in the second half.

One league I played in was -4 for picks, -6 for a pick six.  so that "Hurts" a little more.

Yeah, I can see the pick six hurting badly if your league scores that way. We lose 2 points for INTs without regard to a pick six or not, so it's much more palatable.

18 minutes ago, dhockster said:

3 carries for your running backs for a QB starting his 7th game. This makes no sense. Jalen might not feel like he has to make all the plays if you don't make him make all the plays. He did not play well, but jeez, Nick, help a guy out.

You should be able to pass against the worst pass defense in the league.  With that said he needed to adjust when he realized Hurts couldn’t 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Eagles RBs combined for 3 rush attempts on Monday night (2 Sanders, 1 Gainwell). 

That is the fewest by any team in any game over the last 20 seasons. 

Philly ran 53 offensive plays, 50 of which were a Hurts pass/rush attempt (94%).

I think we all expected a new offense featuring a 6/94 run pass ratio. 🤪

Not to give the conspiracy nuts some fodder but what if the theory that Lurie is controlling the team directly and forcing them to pass more is true. Maybe this was Nick's little rebellion against it. 

"Oh you want me to pass more. Fine. Here you go."

Edited by Insein
  • Laughing 3

36 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Eagles RBs combined for 3 rush attempts on Monday night (2 Sanders, 1 Gainwell). 

That is the fewest by any team in any game over the last 20 seasons. 

Philly ran 53 offensive plays, 50 of which were a Hurts pass/rush attempt (94%).

Wtf is that

• Laughing 1

I know everyone is going crazy over the "run the ball" stuff, but that is at the absolute bottom of the list of things wrong with this team and what went wrong in that game. Most of it was dictated by the bad start and getting behind compounded by the game plan to come out passing, passing, passing (which can be argued is not a bad tactic against a D that was giving up 350/yards a game in the air.)

Call more runs, problem solved. All of the other issues are going to take bigger changes and be more difficult to fix. Run the ball 50 times next game, but if your plays are stale, your blocking schemes are a mess, your players aren't good enough (or injured), it won't make a lick of difference. Grinding clock to give your D a rest doesn't mean a thing if that defense is going to play soft zones and get bullied at the line of scrimmage. 

• Like 2

Two LOL things from last night:

• Sirianni being caught on camera mouthing "It's always him!" in frustration after one of Barnett's penalties. 
  • Hurts in the post-game press conference saying: "When you take a deuce, you don't stare at it. You flush it down."
  • Laughing 7

59 minutes ago, The Noid said:

Hurts in the post-game press conference saying: "When you take a deuce, you don't stare at it. You flush it down."

Btw, you don't need to stare longingly at it, but you still should look at it and asses it for any problems and things you need to correct about your game plan, I mean, diet. 

Edited by The Noid
  • Laughing 2

“We wanted to make sure we were able to keep up with them,” Sirianni said, via the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We knew they were an explosive offense. We wanted to be able to push the ball down the field and hit some of the underneath zones that we saw while also obviously mixing the run game in there and the screen game. You fall behind a little bit, you have to get off that game plan a little bit. We knew we had to score with this team because we knew they were able to score and score quickly.”

Bro. You run the ball to slow the game down and keep your defense and their offense off the field.

You've never played Madden?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Noid said:

I know everyone is going crazy over the "run the ball" stuff, but that is at the absolute bottom of the list of things wrong with this team and what went wrong in that game. Most of it was dictated by the bad start and getting behind compounded by the game plan to come out passing, passing, passing (which can be argued is not a bad tactic against a D that was giving up 350/yards a game in the air.)

Call more runs, problem solved. All of the other issues are going to take bigger changes and be more difficult to fix. Run the ball 50 times next game, but if your plays are stale, your blocking schemes are a mess, your players aren't good enough (or injured), it won't make a lick of difference. Grinding clock to give your D a rest doesn't mean a thing if that defense is going to play soft zones and get bullied at the line of scrimmage. 

true to a point.  but that kind of playcalling is idiotic.  I thought our new coach was smart.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

We are about to get punched in the face again this week, let’s see if coach can prep a little better this time. 

cant wait to see what tshirts he decides to wear.  

• Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, need2know said:

true to a point.  but that kind of playcalling is idiotic.  I thought our new coach was smart.   

Agreed. I expected a McVay type with a more modern scheme. This team HAS to run the ball and feed Sanders as much as possible. We also have to use Hurts’ legs as much as we can. He just isn’t a good pocket passer. He’s not going to sit there and make reads and dissect a defense. 

Goedert and Ertz have to stop playing equal snaps too. If you only watched them and didn’t know their names you’d think Goedert was on a totally other level then Ertz in every aspect 

Reagor should not be playing more than Watkins either. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Look at the next 4 games. 

I just want to competitive.  that's not what happened last night.  we might be getting a new coach/qb sooner rather than later.   it seems he is in way over his head to me.   hope im wrong.

2 minutes ago, need2know said:

I just want to competitive.  that's not what happened last night.  we might be getting a new coach/qb sooner rather than later.   it seems he is in way over his head to me.   hope im wrong.

To be fair it’s a new scheme with a very young offense and staff. The defense is also moving to a scheme that relies heavily on good LBers. 

I don’t expect us to be very competitive and didn’t heading into the season. 

Im still good with them all learning and growing together. This is a rebuild whether they want to admit it or not but it’s gonna be painful. This is kind of why I had issues with the “just play him and see what he has” approach. It doesn’t take long to see what they have lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

To be fair it’s a new scheme with a very young offense and staff. The defense is also moving to a scheme that relies heavily on good LBers. 

I don’t expect us to be very competitive and didn’t heading into the season. 

Im still good with them all learning and growing together. This is a rebuild whether they want to admit it or not but it’s gonna be painful. This is kind of why I had issues with the “just play him and see what he has” approach. It doesn’t take long to see what they have lol. 

first week was a tease.  wish we would have lost 

1 hour ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

Look at the next 4 games. 

Yeah could be rough, if Nick/Jalen can’t show us something against Carolina and LV I may start rooting for our 1st round picks next year which is setting up like a nice fall back so far. 

So who’s the top QB prospect this year?:lmao:

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, dhockster said:

So I think the question needs to be asked: What is Jason Kelce doing to not get injured, and can all the other offensive lineman do what he does?

And hopefully, I haven't just jinxed Kelce.

guarantee his head falls off next week.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

We have 3 games under our belt. It's safe to say we are who we thought we were. 

Defense

The Good

The strength of our defense is our d-line. As long as our d-line is able to do it's job our secondary holds up well.

The Bad

Teams have been able to exploit our d-line leading to extended drives and 3rd conversions.

The Ugly

We can't stop the run. Physical receivers will beat our secondary.

Offense

The Good

Quez Watkins is my 3 game MVP with Sanders a close second. We could build this offense around Watkins and Sanders.

The Bad

Smith needs to be moved to the slot. We should have traded Ertz. I love the guy but damn. He's not worth that much for this amount of production. But Ertz's issues may be a result of Hurts.

The Ugly

Hurts is killing us on offense. His pre-snap reads need improvement. After the snap he is not trusting what he see's which is lead to being late on most of his throws. On the Ertz TD I yelled throw it to the TV a full second before Hurts decided to throw. I saw that Ertz was open even on a crappy TV angle. Deep ball accuracy is surprising to me. There should be no reason why Hurts can't deliver a better deep ball. The only thing I can think of is that in practice the receivers are not running at game day speed which is throwing off the timing. Hurts has plenty of arm strength.

Sirianni - If he thinks Hurts is the best player on offense then we are screwed. Hurts is an above average QB but he's not the guy yet. Sanders and Gainwell should be our focus with Watkins to stretch the defense. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, jon007 said:

We should have traded Ertz. I love the guy but damn. He's not worth that much for this amount of production.

I think we go into full-on sell mode at the deadline this year if we lose the next 4 (very realistic) and Ertz, Cox, and maybe even Sanders are traded. 

• Like 1

• The Noid changed the title to 2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Bet no one had "Taken to the woodshed by Jason Kelce" on their Ben Simmons Drama Bingo card
  • The Noid changed the title to 2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Watching this season with “Yakety Sax” as the soundtrack is the only way to make it enjoyable.