What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (7 Viewers)

All in all, I think they played about as well as they could have today.  Coming back from a short week and a major beating and missing 4 of 5 starters on the OL against one of the best offenses in the league, they stayed in the game most of the way.

the score looks ugly, but I think they gave it all they could.

hurts has to improve his ability to read the field and make decisions.

I was surprised they stayed in the game.   

I know he made some mistakes but that was a much better game for hurts.

True, but Dillard was the Week 1 starter until he got injured in camp, so even their Week 1 starters were starting 1 man down, so by week 6 they were starting 4 guys that weren’t their original starters. 

Either way, big mess. Again. 
Dillard was just motivation for Mailata at that point. After seeing the deal he got they knew he was the man and were surly negotiating that while Dillard was the “starter”

All in all the OL played well. The experience all these back ups got last year really helped. 

Also very happy to see Siriani adjust the offense and not succumb to outside pressure clamoring to “run more”. 

Id like to see more no-huddle as well. They looked good with it early on. 

Said it before, Goedert just looks so much better than Ertz does. I’d like to see him dominate the snaps going forward. 

I REALLY hope we get some LBers in this defense soon. Gannon will get a lot of #### but he’s not working with much. If we are going to play this much zone we need some good rangy LBers. So many lanes were opened today because of VERY POOR lber play. 

Fletcher Cox is done. He logged no stats again today and has one sack and one QB hit in his last 8 games. He’s not being doubled nearly like he’s been in years past either. He’s just not winning at all. 

I don’t know what we are doing with Sanders but Gainwell seems to fit this scheme better. He just looks better and better every week and does a lot well. 

Please play Watkins over Reagor. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dillard was just motivation for Mailata at that point. After seeing the deal he got they knew he was the man and were surly negotiating that while Dillard was the “starter”

All in all the OL played well. The experience all these back ups got last year really helped. 
I meant in 2020. We didn’t re-sign Peters (at LT) because Dillard was going to take the mantle (Mailata hadn’t even started an NFL game at that point). 

Tried to watch as much of this on my phone at work but was bombarded by people and a lot of stupid customers too. Shocked we stayed in it honestly for as long as we did. Hurts and the offense looked better and Hurts finally realized he has TE's to throw to so we made an improvement there. Pass chart looked a tad better too. However he's still holding onto the ball too long trying to create, didn't pick up on the blitz at the end of the first Half and his timing on throws is still off. Still feel do to the lack of Hurts Arm strength we are destroying an asset of these WR's speed. 

Really liked the Hurry Up offense and would like to see more. Next week is Carolina followed by hosting Brady and TB. I should be able to see both while on Vacation. 

We have a LOT of money tied up in the DL not doing much.

We need a decent LB imo. Is what it is this year, no biggie but...  Draft a dude that can lock the middle down.  DT's should be cheap guys that just plug the middle and take up space.  

Bigboy10182000 said:
Fletcher Cox is done. He logged no stats again today and has one sack and one QB hit in his last 8 games. He’s not being doubled nearly like he’s been in years past either. He’s just not winning at all. 

I don’t know what we are doing with Sanders but Gainwell seems to fit this scheme better. He just looks better and better every week and does a lot well. 

Please play Watkins over Reagor. 
Agree on Cox, and was saying it several weeks ago. He's JAG at this point

Disagree on Gainwell...sort of. I'm VERY impressed by Gainwell, but Sanders is still more electric as a runner. I get using Gainwell in the 2 minute drill with the great hands, but Sanders is just criminally under-utilized at this juncture, ESPECIALLY in the RZ. A good 1-2 punch IMO

Not sure on this last one either. Reagor has shown skills. Quez has speed to spare and has a definite role in this offense but Raegor isn't the complete bust some make him out to be (certainly no home run either). I like the way they're using the WRs right now

Agree on Cox, and was saying it several weeks ago. He's JAG at this point

Disagree on Gainwell...sort of. I'm VERY impressed by Gainwell, but Sanders is still more electric as a runner. I get using Gainwell in the 2 minute drill with the great hands, but Sanders is just criminally under-utilized at this juncture, ESPECIALLY in the RZ. A good 1-2 punch IMO

Not sure on this last one either. Reagor has shown skills. Quez has speed to spare and has a definite role in this offense but Raegor isn't the complete bust some make him out to be (certainly no home run either). I like the way they're using the WRs right now
I don’t doubt Sanders’ ability, it’s just that Gainwell seems to fit this scheme better. It’s like they’re not sure how to use Sanders. It wasn’t a knock on him just that Gainwell looks better in this system so far. 

I was a big Reagor guy but I haven’t seen him do anything that Watkins can’t. Watkins has some dog in him and will go up and fight for a ball. He seems like he’s earned more reps. 

We need a decent LB imo. Is what it is this year, no biggie but...  Draft a dude that can lock the middle down.  DT's should be cheap guys that just plug the middle and take up space.  
100% need a LBer if we get three first round picks we have to grab one. This scheme needs  someone with speed and ability to cover some ground. I’d love them to get a guy like Christian Harris from Bama but not sure Howie will draft a LBer 

From an outsider's POV, Jalen Hurts is the least of the Iggles problems. He looks controlled and in command to me. The O line is horrific, the coaches have to do a better job in trying to establish a running game, and the defense is not good. 

They played hard yesterday against a better team. Build around this QB. 

Someone needs to ask Sirianni "What are you going to do differently about the penalties?" because I'm tired of hearing "we're working on cleaning those up, holding guys accountable, blah, blah, blah" but after 4 weeks obviously none of it is working. 

The constant platitudes, clichés, and coach-speak from him, and also from Hurts, is wearing thin. Having a "dawg mentality" isn't the solution to tangible problems, no more than "thinking positive" is a way to treat cancer. Sure, an attitude or mindset is healthy and good, but it's meaningless without radiation or chemo to actually fix the problem.

I'm getting the feeling the Lane Johnson thing is a bigger issue than we know. If it were something minor or a one-time deal, it would have come out by now. And Sirianni in the press conference after the game last night, and again this morning, was curt when asked about it and seemed annoyed (by the situation, not being asked the question.) 

Someone needs to ask Sirianni "What are you going to do differently about the penalties?" because I'm tired of hearing "we're working on cleaning those up, holding guys accountable, blah, blah, blah" but after 4 weeks obviously none of it is working. 

The constant platitudes, clichés, and coach-speak from him, and also from Hurts, is wearing thin. Having a "dawg mentality" isn't the solution to tangible problems, no more than "thinking positive" is a way to treat cancer. Sure, an attitude or mindset is healthy and good, but it's meaningless without radiation or chemo to actually fix the problem.
Someone suggested linemen lose a day of lunch privileges for every penalty they get. That'd clean it up real quick. 

Was at the game and my kids ~10 game win streak finally came to an end, this was the first Eagles loss they've been to.  It was fun while it lasted.   :cry:

I have never been more frustrated by penalties in a game.  It felt like every time we were goal to go, we're getting flagged and moving back.  We'd finally have KC in a 3rd and 6 instead of a 3rd and 1, neutral zone infraction... 3rd and 1.  THREE TD's called back.  I don't know if I'd say this was winnable w/o the penalties but we'd at least have been in the game at the end.  I'm still really not sure what this team is and what they can do at this point but disciplined they are not.

Did I imagine when I saw all the Top QB's listed as 6'1" height?  Is that a mistake?  

Until Carson Strong at 6'4", all others are 6'1"     
Might be drafting 2 OL at this rate anyway. 
Just go galaxy brain and instead of using the 3 first round picks to move up or get a QB, use them to take 3 QBs and increase your odds of one of them being "the guy". 

I'm already in the mind set of just enjoying the opportunity to see Mahomes sling 5 TDs in person on Sunday. Like when I got to see Jordan drop 48 points in 3 quarters at the Spectrum in '96.
Got the 5 TD's, but this wasn't as fun as I was hoping.  Maybe it was being pissed from all the penalties.

Got the 5 TD's, but this wasn't as fun as I was hoping.  Maybe it was being pissed from all the penalties.
I actually thought it was a pretty enjoyable (maybe productive?) loss. They showed me a lot and while the penalties really suck it is something that can be coached out of players. The BS OPI was the one that really crushed the game for us. 

I disagree with the bolded.  Hargrave is the only difference maker on defense so far this year and you look around the league at what guys like Donald and Vea bring to their teams and you can see what good DT's can do. The problem is that Cox isn't in that group anymore.

From an outsider's POV, Jalen Hurts is the least of the Iggles problems. He looks controlled and in command to me. The O line is horrific, the coaches have to do a better job in trying to establish a running game, and the defense is not good. 

i guess you could say he is controlled and command, but almost every play ends with a swing pass or a checkdown or him scrambling.  Occasionally there is a bubble screen or a deeper sideline throw mixed in when he can see one read and throw it.  Just don't see him making many other plays with his arm where he finds the receivers anywhere else on the field.

someone who has looked at the all-22 or otherwise studied what the receivers are doing more than me can feel free to explain if there really is nothing there and he is actually making good decisions.  It's just hard to believe and/or unless something changes with the offense overall, it's going to be tough for them to progress.

Been a minute let me recap. Went to the Dallas game. Was a fun experience, seats weren't great, but the party I went with didn't really want to spend for good seats, so oh well. And of course we got shelled, but I always love watching games in person, but that was brutal haha. I had a 10 year old kid literally sitting 2 seats down trash talking me (they say Philly fans are bad). The stadium, I mean, its big? Right. Is it nice? I'm not sure. With all the variety of great beers in Texas somehow Miller Light is the beer of the stadium, and they had I think MAYBE  selection of 5 beers total. We ordered chicken tenders at half time, as they were running out of food and lol they even ran out of BBQ sauce. Its cool I can say I went to that stadium to watch the Eagles plan, but man, that stadium (much like the team) is severely overrated. Cool, A Big TV. We all have phones/Ipads now if we really want to watch the stream. 

i guess you could say he is controlled and command, but almost every play ends with a swing pass or a checkdown or him scrambling.  Occasionally there is a bubble screen or a deeper sideline throw mixed in when he can see one read and throw it.  Just don't see him making many other plays with his arm where he finds the receivers anywhere else on the field.

someone who has looked at the all-22 or otherwise studied what the receivers are doing more than me can feel free to explain if there really is nothing there and he is actually making good decisions.  It's just hard to believe and/or unless something changes with the offense overall, it's going to be tough for them to progress.
Yeah......jury is still out on Hurts. There's a lot to like, but his accuracy isn't one of them. Feels like a guy that'll steal a game or two with an athletic play, but lose another game or two when his accuracy issues pop up. And he DOES have some issues with his accuracy. He's left a ton of plays on the field that a competent NFL starter should have made. (To be fair, he's made a few plays with his athleticism/escapability that others couldn't also).

He has the season to show us what he can be. I think in the end he's gonna be a top notch backup who can win a game or two when called upon but not consistent enough to be relied on week in and week out.....and that's ok IMO for the investment that was made. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and he continues to grow in his decision making AND becomes a little more accurate (ala Josh Allen). I'm not rooting AGAINST him by any means

The problem with Hurts is they are just too conservative with him. They are playing to his strengths but some of his biggest weaknesses IMHO hold the offenses biggest strengths back as well. I wouldn't mind Hurts at QB if we had a stud top 5 defense but I think our defense will ever be that. 

Barnett needs be benched or Traded at this point. He's such a stupid low Football IQ player. They need to send a message and start holding players accountable 

with everybody so hyper-focused on Hurts this seems to be becoming too much like NBA fandom. I saw this earlier on reddit, but a definite shout-out should go to Driscoll. stepping in last minute and holding it down fairly well against Chris Jones should be getting more love

Was at the game and my kids ~10 game win streak finally came to an end, this was the first Eagles loss they've been to.  It was fun while it lasted.   :cry:

I have never been more frustrated by penalties in a game.  It felt like every time we were goal to go, we're getting flagged and moving back.  We'd finally have KC in a 3rd and 6 instead of a 3rd and 1, neutral zone infraction... 3rd and 1.  THREE TD's called back.  I don't know if I'd say this was winnable w/o the penalties but we'd at least have been in the game at the end.  I'm still really not sure what this team is and what they can do at this point but disciplined they are not.

I felt like I was watching the Florida game vs UK with the Penalties. Florida lost big time do to Penalties on Sat. Eagles had chances to keep it close get TD's instead of FGs and took points off the board do to Penalties 

I'm getting the feeling the Lane Johnson thing is a bigger issue than we know. If it were something minor or a one-time deal, it would have come out by now. And Sirianni in the press conference after the game last night, and again this morning, was curt when asked about it and seemed annoyed (by the situation, not being asked the question.) 

Interesting. I've been working all day and went home and passed out. I hadn't really heard anything Figured it was probably family issues like a funeral or something last minute. 

I disagree with the bolded.  Hargrave is the only difference maker on defense so far this year and you look around the league at what guys like Donald and Vea bring to their teams and you can see what good DT's can do. The problem is that Cox isn't in that group anymore.

The media guys covering the Eagles would be killing Vea too because he doesn't put up stats yet wreck havoc in the backfield 

My cousin's season tickets are pretty good where you get an all 22 type feel and he coaches the WRs at Saint Joe's Prep now. He said there's plays there for Hurts and he just isn't seeing them. He was talking to Marvin Harrison the other day who still visits the football guys at The Prep even though his son isn't there and he said it looks more like Hurts doesn't trust his arm on the times he does see the play downfield. 

Now this isn't without fault to the receivers itself who need to get more separation but from what my Cousin said plays are there. He just needs to execute. At the same time maybe Hurts also doesn't trust his own arm to make the throw. 

i'm open to not burying Cox yet. i don't know what he had before the Cowboys game, but he said he lost like 30 pounds, and was in bad shape for 4-5 days in a row. with them playing Monday night, he still had to feel that a bit. i also saw he was double teamed more than usual on Sunday, my guess is that this will be a regular thing with BG gong down for the year

Been a minute let me recap. Went to the Dallas game. Was a fun experience, seats weren't great, but the party I went with didn't really want to spend for good seats, so oh well. And of course we got shelled, but I always love watching games in person, but that was brutal haha. I had a 10 year old kid literally sitting 2 seats down trash talking me (they say Philly fans are bad). The stadium, I mean, its big? Right. Is it nice? I'm not sure. With all the variety of great beers in Texas somehow Miller Light is the beer of the stadium, and they had I think MAYBE  selection of 5 beers total. We ordered chicken tenders at half time, as they were running out of food and lol they even ran out of BBQ sauce. Its cool I can say I went to that stadium to watch the Eagles plan, but man, that stadium (much like the team) is severely overrated. Cool, A Big TV. We all have phones/Ipads now if we really want to watch the stream. 

Yeah Ive heard the stadium is pretty overrated. I've had family and friends attend there. My Uncle has family from Texas who are Dal fans who are Cowboys fans and say the stadium is Cool and big but after that it loses its touch. Constantly stadium runs low on certain items (Not sure if the vendors doesn't order enough or what) and the beer selections aren't great. 

Thats hilarious about the 10 yrs old. Did you ask him if he knew what a VHS tape was since it's the only way he can watch the last time his team was relevant? 

Yeah......jury is still out on Hurts. There's a lot to like, but his accuracy isn't one of them. Feels like a guy that'll steal a game or two with an athletic play, but lose another game or two when his accuracy issues pop up. And he DOES have some issues with his accuracy. He's left a ton of plays on the field that a competent NFL starter should have made. (To be fair, he's made a few plays with his athleticism/escapability that others couldn't also).

He has the season to show us what he can be. I think in the end he's gonna be a top notch backup who can win a game or two when called upon but not consistent enough to be relied on week in and week out.....and that's ok IMO for the investment that was made. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and he continues to grow in his decision making AND becomes a little more accurate (ala Josh Allen). I'm not rooting AGAINST him by any means

I think this is the only area we disagree on this on. Where he was drafted personally I feel he should be more then a reliable back up spot starter especially at the position he plays. If I'm drafting a QB in the 1st or Early day 2 in the 2nd I expect them to be a starter. I'm not expecting Now it can be argued that the Eagles wanted a solid back up to Carson but given our needs in other areas and where the pick was made, unless Hurts becomes a viable starter the pick was severely wasted when we could've selected one of a few great players left. 

i'm open to not burying Cox yet. i don't know what he had before the Cowboys game, but he said he lost like 30 pounds, and was in bad shape for 4-5 days in a row. with them playing Monday night, he still had to feel that a bit. i also saw he was double teamed more than usual on Sunday, my guess is that this will be a regular thing with BG gong down for the year

Cox had a solid play where he caused the Prescott fumble. Him taking on Double teams has led to Hargreaves numbers too 

I think this is the only area we disagree on this on. Where he was drafted personally I feel he should be more then a reliable back up spot starter especially at the position he plays. If I'm drafting a QB in the 1st or Early day 2 in the 2nd I expect them to be a starter. I'm not expecting Now it can be argued that the Eagles wanted a solid back up to Carson but given our needs in other areas and where the pick was made, unless Hurts becomes a viable starter the pick was severely wasted when we could've selected one of a few great players left. 
There's 32 starting jobs in the NFL. A QUALITY starter lasts 8-12 years. If the best QBs are drafted first and there are 3 a year drafted.....pure numbers tells you the overwhelming majority of quality starters should be first rounders. EXPECTING a quality starter from a day 2 pick, even if it's pick 33....is dumb, because it goes against the basic mathematics. I expect a day 2 QB to be a quality backup or a bridge starter...because that's what the MATH says he should be...not a top 30 guy, but certainly a top 40 guy....IE: top notch backup. Hurts was NOT DRAFTED TO BE A STARTER, but to be a top notch backup, and anything more then that is a bonus.

Now....if you wanna argue that teams should NEVER spend a 2nd on a backup, that all 2nd rounders should produce starters....that's a different conversation that would lead you to never draft QB in the 2nd

I'll defer to you guys, as I've only seen two Eagles games this year. He doesn't look overmatched to me, is I guess what I'm trying to say. I think a team can win with him if he continues to grow and the Eagles increase their talent level.

I follow the Ravens and had a decade of Joe Flacco. He got a ton of flak because he was limited in some areas (plus he just looks goofy), but he won a crapload of games in both the regular season and the playoffs. 

Plus, I'd give the coaching staff time to grow. I've watched John Harbaugh completely change his coaching philosophy. Coaches, like players, don't necessarily stay the same forever.

Cox had a solid play where he caused the Prescott fumble. Him taking on Double teams has led to Hargreaves numbers too 
The company line the last two years on Cox has been "He's being doubled" or "He's doing things that affect the game and don't show up in the stat sheet." 

From Jimmy Kempski:

I was curious to see how much Fletcher Cox got doubled vs. KC.

Run, single: 12

Run, double: 7

Pass, single: 17

Pass, double: 10

0 tackles, 1 pressure if we're being generous. Looked disinterested vs. doubles, easily handled on single blocks. Alarming performance.

So for more than half his snaps he was singled and still didn't show up on the stat sheet (and none of whatever he was doing made a lick of difference for a defense that got embarrassed and only had two quality pressures on the QB the whole game.) 

At his age, when he's not getting any sacks, pressures, or even tackles, on a regular basis we have to accept he's declining/declined and not some magical mystery force that is doing things the naked eye can't detect.

Even that TD in Dallas owed a big part to Hargrave being double-teamed (instead of Cox) and it was Hargrave that STILL was able to move Dak into the spot where Cox was. 

“The Eagles define explosive plays as 16+ passing yards, 10+ running yards. It's a major staff emphasis.

They are No. 7 in the NFL with 25 explosive passing plays, No. 7 with 15 explosive running plays. 

Eagles finished No. 21 and No. 14, respectively, last season.”

And we all want progress from Hurts, I think we can all agree on that. Obviously the sample size is small but it’s progress nonetheless:

Jalen Hurts attempted 148 passes last year: 

52% Completion, 1061 yards, 6 TDs, 4 INTs, 6.8 AY/Attempt 

Jalen Hurts has attempted 145 passes so far this year: 

66.2% Completion, 1167 yards, 7 TDs, 2 INTs, 8.4 AY/Attempt 

Only 23 years old.

“The Eagles define explosive plays as 16+ passing yards, 10+ running yards. It's a major staff emphasis.

They are No. 7 in the NFL with 25 explosive passing plays, No. 7 with 15 explosive running plays. 

Eagles finished No. 21 and No. 14, respectively, last season.”
I think we found the problem: they focus so much on explosive plays that they have no idea what to do when they are in "unexplosive" goal-to-go situations!

Gannon today: "We don't have a scheme, as a defense."

Also Gannon today: "We're not a dime team" (when asked why they haven't gone to dime, and swap an extra DB for a LB, in obvious passing situations or against teams running 11 personnel).

So, then you do have a scheme; your "scheme" is 2 LB minimum.  :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread