What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (14 Viewers)

I'm starting to warmup a bit to this dumpster fire we are in. At the end of the day this is Howie's team. He's the one who created this ####show. What's interesting is besides the large dead money guys Devonta Smith is only player guaranteed to be here next year. IMO everyone from Howie all the way to the towel boy is on the hot seat. 
The main mistakes were in doubling down year after year, trying to recapture that Super Bowl magic. This ####show is trying to rebuild after that.  I'm not too worried that we stink this year - as long as the young core looks promising. Last year...we didnt really have even a young core at all. So yea, we need a few years to clean house. 

The Wentz contract...I mean, yea in hindsight it was a mistake.  But that drop - was historic. No player his age ever had that kind of dropoff before. And then to top it off the crybaby demanded to be traded and wouldnt work to fix it here. Now - if some of those personality red flags really were  so apparent and we extended him anyway? Ok, thats bad. But even then there was no way it would be THAT bad. This isn't the NBA - young star QB's almost never do that.

Roseman's first pick back in charge after the Chip Kelly era was Carson Wentz. Signing Wentz to a massive second contract has proven far more costly (the Eagles have a $33.8 million dead-money hit in 2021, per Over The Cap) than moving up to select him second overall, as Wentz contributed significantly to a Super Bowl title and two other playoff teams. The picks Philadelphia traded away for Wentz, however, left the team with a smaller margin for error that Roseman didn't sufficiently compensate for with quality selections. The next-best picks since 2016 include Dallas Goedert, Miles Sanders, Avonte Maddox and Derek Barnett. Roseman deserves credit for an Eagles roster that was loaded from 2017 to '19, but it wasn't because of recent drafts.

Source: https://www.nfl.com/news/general-manager-power-rankings-nfl-draft-edition
That's a weird ranking.  Roseman comes in at #22, with the Eagles at 1-3 and clearly rebuilding.

Meanwhile, #1 and #2 on that list are [checks notes] ALSO 1-3 and kind of a mess right now. 

edit:  nm I missed the line in there where its purely on drafting. makes a little more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main mistakes were in doubling down year after year, trying to recapture that Super Bowl magic. This ####show is trying to rebuild after that.  I'm not too worried that we stink this year - as long as the young core looks promising. Last year...we didnt really have even a young core at all. So yea, we need a few years to clean house. 

The Wentz contract...I mean, yea in hindsight it was a mistake.  But that drop - was historic. No player his age ever had that kind of dropoff before. And then to top it off the crybaby demanded to be traded and wouldnt work to fix it here. Now - if some of those personality red flags really were  so apparent and we extended him anyway? Ok, thats bad. But even then there was no way it would be THAT bad. This isn't the NBA - young star QB's almost never do that.

Wouldn't you if your GM was a snake like Howie though? 

It's for the best with wentz.   Hes never winning anything.  Hes either hurt or too inconsistent.    Happy with what we got for him.

I honestly don't know what choice the Eagles had extending Wentz at the time.  If they never signed an extension, he played poorly and they let him walk they would not have the picks from the Colts.  If he played well and they franchised him, you are in the same situation as the Cowboys with Dak where they ended up paying a lot more than had they signed him earlier. If they didn't extend, he plays great and then walks away as a free agent we burn the Novacare complex to the ground. 

Yes, they wasted a lot of money but they got 2 good picks and it's not my money.  :shrug:

DJackson10 said:
Wouldn't you if your GM was a snake like Howie though? 
Personally the 'snake' move is to pocket millions in a signing bonus and then refuse to do a single year of it. This wasn't a Malcom Jenkins situation.  Wentz was far more untrustworthy and 'snake-like' then anyone else. Just shows a lack of character from him.

His "audience of One" - was himself.  We were fooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Hagen said:
I honestly don't know what choice the Eagles had extending Wentz at the time.  If they never signed an extension, he played poorly and they let him walk they would not have the picks from the Colts.  If he played well and they franchised him, you are in the same situation as the Cowboys with Dak where they ended up paying a lot more than had they signed him earlier. If they didn't extend, he plays great and then walks away as a free agent we burn the Novacare complex to the ground. 

Yes, they wasted a lot of money but they got 2 good picks and it's not my money.  :shrug:
Yea, that's where I'm at. It was a gamble, but it was impossible to predict the massive dropoff in performance coupled with a Simmons-like attitude.

Yea, that's where I'm at. It was a gamble, but it was impossible to predict the massive dropoff in performance coupled with a Simmons-like attitude.
Between Wentz, Simmons and Carter Hart I'm starting to think winning the Super Bowl came with some sort of curse.

Totally worth it.

Tom Hagen said:

If Wentz continued to lay like he had in 2017 we are looking at a massive deal. Considering the deal he signed then we should consider ourselves lucky after seeing what guys after him got at the position. Had Wentz played up to 2017 MVP level it's an absolute steal for the next 5 yrs. I get why they did it though.

Personally the 'snake' move is to pocket millions in a signing bonus and then refuse to do a single year of it. This wasn't a Malcom Jenkins situation.  Wentz was far more untrustworthy and 'snake-like' then anyone else. Just shows a lack of character from him.

His "audience of One" - was himself.  We were fooled.

I think you have Wentz confused with Ben Simmons here dude Unless you know something I don't I don't think Wentz was as bad personally as fans think. I think a lot of this is more so people selling themselves it was the right move to make. I saw a lot of fans making accusations about him but said nothing on Ben Simmons who's acted like that his whole career here in Philly. I just find it funny anytime a player wants out the fans and the jabronies like Cataldie all like to Use the words "soft" "Wasn't built to play here. "can't handle a large city" etc. I just laugh because our Media is a fake NY/LA media scene here. They love to bully behind their laptops and phones but the minute you confront most of these goofballs they run off or backtrack. It's the same schtick constantly. 

I will give people this because this is something I've heard from a lot of people. Carson's faith rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It was more because he's a fake Christian/religious person who does a lot of it as tax right off. I have a friend and I have a customer who has a friend who both do all the community outreach stuff and such with the Church and just do it and admit they do it for the tax write off. 

Could Wentz have handled some things differently? Absolutely and he doesn't go without blame but I don't think he was as bad personally as you and others make it out to be. But I guess whatever helps you guys sleep at night. I honestly hope he has success in his carer maybe wins himself a Super Bowl. Crazier things have happened. Again I just think it's comical how every time an athlete fails here the Radio Jabronies and the ilk give the same excuses constantly. They all went after Wentz when the biggest fraud in Philly was right under their noises but most didn't want to admit or just wanted to ignore the red flags with the guy. 

Please provide examples of this. I don't call the I don't deserve to benched stuff as part of that because ever QB doesn't think they should be benched. Simmons might be the biggest fraud and the warning signs were there from day 1 and they still drafted him and the national media still hyped the kid up. Simmons refuses everything and is basically the poster boy of the NBA Entitlement babies brigade generation. I wish the 80s early 90s were around in the NBA because guys like Ben, Harden and Kyrie would all be looking for jobs in other professions right now. 

Again there's stuff Carson should've handled differently but he's no where close to Simmons like attitude. Simmons has the whole national team who doesn't respect him. As well as publicly now having guys put their names on comments about him being a terrible teammate. All we got with Wentz was anonymous sources and one of those players we found out was someone we probably shouldn't waste our breath on. 

Again it's comical how people think the two are of the same cloth here. Ben Simmons will probably whine and cry his way out of the league at this point. Wentz the Eagles were able to trade and still has a job. I don't think Ben would've tried to play on two sprained ankles let alone completing a series on a blown out knee. 

Between Wentz, Simmons and Carter Hart I'm starting to think winning the Super Bowl came with some sort of curse.

Totally worth it.

What exactly is wrong with Carter Hart? I keep seeing people bring his name up yet I've yet to really see anything negative with him. The flyers as an org had no defense in front of him last two year and put him out to dry. On top of that his HC gives players drugs and bullies them to death. 

Lane Johnson won't play on Sunday do to Personal/Family Matters. The Eagles head of Security per John Clark went to Oklahoma to bring Lane back. No word on whats wrong. 

One thing we can rule out is possible suspension for PED because we'd have heard something by now. 

I've heard speculation he and his wife got divorced but that was apparently over 2 yrs ago. Either way we don't know and the Eagles aren't saying anything. Also it's really none of our business anyway. it's a personal issue. If he wants to come out and talk about it at some point he can. 

Meanwhile Jordan Malaitta can play Sunday and has taken reps at RT all week. Sounds like Dillard on the LT and they seem more comfortable with Dillard on the LEFT and JM on the RIGHT side right now. 

Please provide examples of this. I don't call the I don't deserve to benched stuff as part of that because ever QB doesn't think they should be benched. Simmons might be the biggest fraud and the warning signs were there from day 1 and they still drafted him and the national media still hyped the kid up. Simmons refuses everything and is basically the poster boy of the NBA Entitlement babies brigade generation. I wish the 80s early 90s were around in the NBA because guys like Ben, Harden and Kyrie would all be looking for jobs in other professions right now. 

Again there's stuff Carson should've handled differently but he's no where close to Simmons like attitude. Simmons has the whole national team who doesn't respect him. As well as publicly now having guys put their names on comments about him being a terrible teammate. All we got with Wentz was anonymous sources and one of those players we found out was someone we probably shouldn't waste our breath on. 

Again it's comical how people think the two are of the same cloth here. Ben Simmons will probably whine and cry his way out of the league at this point. Wentz the Eagles were able to trade and still has a job. I don't think Ben would've tried to play on two sprained ankles let alone completing a series on a blown out knee. 
The common thread is twofold.

Both faced adversity and intense scrutiny due to their poor performance  

Both chose to run and hide from the scrutiny as opposed to facing it head on and earning trust. 

Well, we're gonna beat the Jets.  Probably the Giants at least once.  The rest are losable, right? 4-13 might get you top 5.
Losable yes.  But quite unlikely we go 2-10 from here on out.  I'd guess 4-8, so end the season 6-11 and we aren't getting top 5 with that.

It’s beginning to feel like Hurts’ ceiling is: QB who can gut out a win in many of the games where his flaws put his team on the brink of losing. 

My biggest issue with today isn't Hurts, but the coaching. Five weeks and is it showing any signs of improvement? How many failed swing passes and screens do you need to see before you decide to move on? How do you once again neglect your RB (aside from the above mentioned failed swing passes). I think if CAR had a competent QB the game would have turned out very differently. Very hard to be a glass half full with this team right now IMO.

So I'm in OBX and boy what an eventful last night. In Carova where we had to drive on the beach (got stuck dead battery had to get towed out by my uncle etc). Today we went into town to find jumper Cables and plus find somewhere to watch the game. 

Found a bar showing the game. Didn't see all of it but that was frustrating. Yes didn't run the ball but it looks like some of those RPO's that Hurts could've handed it off instead of taking it himself or trying to throw to a guy. Held onto the ball too long still, missed guys wideopen, inaccurate etc. CAR shot themselves in the foot a few Times. Today the Defense and Special teams kept us in the game. 

I will say as much as I loved Wentz I feel like he loses that one whereas Hurts wins it. He seems very cool under pressure. Even with that said, he left a ton on the field again today. 

I will say as much as I loved Wentz I feel like he loses that one whereas Hurts wins it. He seems very cool under pressure. Even with that said, he left a ton on the field again today. 

I mean you could say the same about Hurts vs Wentz in the Dal game. I think Hurts left points there that Wentz puts up. 

The one thing I didn't like from Hurts big time today was the fumbled snap he pulled a Cam Newton going for the ball

I mean you could say the same about Hurts vs Wentz in the Dal game. I think Hurts left points there that Wentz puts up. 

The one thing I didn't like from Hurts big time today was the fumbled snap he pulled a Cam Newton going for the ball
Yes, I would hope a 6th year QB with a 128 million dollar extension is capable to putting up more points then a 2nd round pick still in single digit starts.

So I'm in OBX and boy what an eventful last night. In Carova where we had to drive on the beach (got stuck dead battery had to get towed out by my uncle etc). Today we went into town to find jumper Cables and plus find somewhere to watch the game. 

Found a bar showing the game. Didn't see all of it but that was frustrating. Yes didn't run the ball but it looks like some of those RPO's that Hurts could've handed it off instead of taking it himself or trying to throw to a guy. Held onto the ball too long still, missed guys wideopen, inaccurate etc. CAR shot themselves in the foot a few Times. Today the Defense and Special teams kept us in the game. 
what kind of jumper cables did you get?  Did you get a good deal on them?

Carova is the bomb.  Are you using twiddy?  Have fun down there.  

Stop. There had to be someone you know that’s connected to a professional sports team close enough to give you a jump. 

Yes, I would hope a 6th year QB with a 128 million dollar extension is capable to putting up more points then a 2nd round pick still in single digit starts.

I basically pointing out yes there's games Hurts is gonna win us that others can't but there's also games the other guy would've won that Hurts didn't. I do know the other guy would've ran for that football today though 

Carova is the bomb.  Are you using twiddy?  Have fun down there.  

Yes.My Uncle has come down here for yrs. 

Our Alternator in our Tahoe is broken and our battery for the car died 1 1/2 hrs prior to high tide. To say my mom was pretty distraught last night during the whole thing is an understatement. I forgot I could unlock the car manually (Car auto locks when in drive) and couldn't get out to see what the guys were doing. A Cop who I guess works the beach at night drove up and saw my Uncle getting everything ready to tow us out. He apparently told them he's never seen a suburban (My Uncle's rental) nor a Tahoe get stuck down here so hitch it up and go as we were losing time with High Tide at 10PM. We got to the house safely though. 

We saw a Dead Sea Turtle and Porpoise on the way into town then drove around in the inner dunes and found a few wild horses. Car still isn't starting with the new alternator so we think the battery got shot last night. Gonna get a new battery tomorrow. If we can't figure it out might call Triple A and worse comes to worst we take a rental home. The thing though is my mom was expecting to get a new car in the next year or so and this might have advanced it faster though. 

I basically pointing out yes there's games Hurts is gonna win us that others can't but there's also games the other guy would've won that Hurts didn't. I do know the other guy would've ran for that football today though 

Right, no I agree, and Carson is and should be a better QB right now. But of course that ship sailed, so we roll with who we got.

It’s definitely puzzling but at the same time most of the passes are essentially extended runs. 
I mean especially early, so so many of those passes were just quick passes to the WR that just got blown up instantly.  I think he was averaging less then 2 yards per pass attempt with like 15 pass thrown.  But still - forget eh RPO, sometimes you just gotta run it. It doesnt need to be an even split, but man.

Right, no I agree, and Carson is and should be a better QB right now. But of course that ship sailed, so we roll with who we got.

I think we are in agreement here but saying it differently. I'm just pointing something out most wouldn't. Also even at Hurts stage of his own Career Wentz was by far a better QB and having a MVP season. I have doubts Hurts could ever pull off a season like that. I just find the excuses people use for Hurts struggles kind of funny at times

The Pandemic last year - All players including rookies dealt with it

Injuries to other players- Yeah Rodgers deals with that constantly

Poor play calling- Ask Aaron Rodgers how he faired with that again

The Defense sucks- Not Hurts fault again Ask Aaron Rodgers about that

I really haven't seen any improvement from Hurts since day 1 here at all. Continues same mistakes and half of his completions are still behind the LOS or under 10YDS

I think we are in agreement here but saying it differently. I'm just pointing something out most wouldn't. Also even at Hurts stage of his own Career Wentz was by far a better QB and having a MVP season. I have doubts Hurts could ever pull off a season like that. I just find the excuses people use for Hurts struggles kind of funny at times

The Pandemic last year - All players including rookies dealt with it

Injuries to other players- Yeah Rodgers deals with that constantly

Poor play calling- Ask Aaron Rodgers how he faired with that again

The Defense sucks- Not Hurts fault again Ask Aaron Rodgers about that

I really haven't seen any improvement from Hurts since day 1 here at all. Continues same mistakes and half of his completions are still behind the LOS or under 10YDS
You're right, I should hate Hurts because he's not Aaron Rodgers, who -- oh yeah -- sat on the bench behind a Hall of Famer during his second year. 

Yes.My Uncle has come down here for yrs. 

Our Alternator in our Tahoe is broken and our battery for the car died 1 1/2 hrs prior to high tide. To say my mom was pretty distraught last night during the whole thing is an understatement. I forgot I could unlock the car manually (Car auto locks when in drive) and couldn't get out to see what the guys were doing. A Cop who I guess works the beach at night drove up and saw my Uncle getting everything ready to tow us out. He apparently told them he's never seen a suburban (My Uncle's rental) nor a Tahoe get stuck down here so hitch it up and go as we were losing time with High Tide at 10PM. We got to the house safely though. 

We saw a Dead Sea Turtle and Porpoise on the way into town then drove around in the inner dunes and found a few wild horses. Car still isn't starting with the new alternator so we think the battery got shot last night. Gonna get a new battery tomorrow. If we can't figure it out might call Triple A and worse comes to worst we take a rental home. The thing though is my mom was expecting to get a new car in the next year or so and this might have advanced it faster though. 
This is great insight. 

Gonna fade Tahoe's in next year's draft.

You're right, I should hate Hurts because he's not Aaron Rodgers, who -- oh yeah -- sat on the bench behind a Hall of Famer during his second year. 

I'm more so talking about the types of QBs they are. We don't even make the SB without Carson that year. Foles played unbelievable in the playoffs but other then those playoff games he was pretty mediocre for us. 

I think Hurts is a ice guy and all but he's a back up in the NFL. Without the Defense and Special teams yesterday we don't win that game and Car shot themselves in the foot on a few plays themselves. We lose by a lot of Thursday night if we play like that again 

Users who are viewing this thread