What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (8 Viewers)

I'm mostly just black-dotting the new thread, but this is my take, as well. They need to bring in a new QB coach and fix all the crap that was wrong with Carson's game. Clearly, he has a higher ceiling than Hurts. He just regressed. Clean out the bodies on the Offensive coaching staff and hire a real, legit OC and a new QB coach.

Bigboy10182000 said:
“Also, the #Eagles are expected to hire a formal offensive coordinator after a year without one. QBs coach Press Taylor had pass game coordinator added to his role last year and took on many of the OC responsibilities. His future with the team remains uncertain.”
Hopefully he's gone he was an issue for Wentz 

Haven't opened it but being the best since Jim Johnson isn't really hard...  (although we pretty clearly shoulda given Sean McDermott more then a year to grow into the position)
I had high hopes for McDermott and then he was scapegoated by Andy to distract from all the rest of the mess going on. That was but one of many things that led to him being gone.

Insein said:
Haven't opened it but I'm sure this will try to show how Schwartz was the greatest DC we've ever had.
Today's press Release and statements by Schwartz kind of back up what I was told about him over the last 2 yrs. He basically admitted he couldn't put the time and effort into coaching that is needed anymore. Thats a way better comment then the initial media reports he was stepping away because of minor health issues and procedures because that's a Urban Meyer type "I'm not taking responsibility for my actions" move. Glad he admitted he couldn't fully commit to the job anymore and has to step away. I got no ill will towards the guy. I've heard a few cool inside stories about the guy especially personally. Don't care for his coaching style but definitely a guy I'd love to hang out with at the ball and shoot the sh** and talk football with for a hours. 

He did get a lot out of very little invested but a few things bothered me from top to bottom:

1. He was incredible thick headed and stubborn in his coaching style and ways 

2. Didn't prioritize the LB position a whole lot

3. Didn't seem to take to coaching younger guys easily

4. Besides the already establishes d players (Jenkins/Cox/Graham/etc) he never developed any all pros or pro bowlers nor did any young players develop well at least here under him

This is kind of relevant to our QB issue but in a different sense that it only deals with 1 QB and not having 2 but apparently Texans QB DeShaun Watson wants to be traded. He's apparently frustrated where the franchise is going. He found out last year of Hopkins Trade to ARZ after the trade was made. Felt like he should've been told before hand or consultant with like any team would normally do with their star Franchise player/QB. Then this year with GM and BoB fired he suggested a few names for each including KC's OC Eric Beinemy. Not only did the team hire a new GM without him (Nick Caserio) involved but Watson found out about it through social media. Watson if they didn't hire his suggestions at least wanted them to interview them and be a part of the hiring process as he was speaking for numerous members of the team as a locker room leader and at least wanted the team to let him know who the finalist were so he could give an opinion for the players. 

Look some people will say Watson has no say he's just an employee but that's a horrible business model at times. Your employees opinions and feelings matter. They aren't just workers who make you money. High Morale +  better employee production = More $$$. Low Morale + Bad employee production = Less $$$$. It's not strange for a team or club to ask star players their opinions. This happens in Soccer/Football clubs around the world numerous times. It's happened in the NFL and the Steelers hired an OC after talking to Big Ben that he liked so it's not an uncommon practice. You want to keep your star players especially your QB happy. Houston Texans are another example for the book How To not Treat Your Franchise QB For Dummies 101 

Bigboy10182000 said:
I was actually thinking he played ok for the most part. I don’t recall hearing his name in a bad way like we had in years past. 
I think I can only recall him getting beat by the double move once this year, in contrast to constantly in the previous seasons. Playing safety part of the time helped with that, of course. 

I had high hopes for McDermott and then he was scapegoated by Andy to distract from all the rest of the mess going on. That was but one of many things that led to him being gone.
I was a McDermott fan. The personnel on D was garbage and he still did pretty well. Trent Cole was about all he had to work with

Eagles OC candidate suggestions:
- Jim Caldwell: The very experienced. Strong QB coach success, been in several systems with success.
- Graham Harrell: The rook. USC OC. Prior interest from Eagles. Former QB.

- Jim Caldwell: The very experienced. Strong QB coach success, been in several systems with success.

I remember Harrell from his college Days at TTU. I didn't think much of him as he played in the NO DEFENSE ALLOWED CONFERENCE but I did like his competitive sprite and from interviews he did and such he always seemed like his career was more meant to be a coach then playing as a QB. 

almost anything would be better than what we have gotten from that spot the past couple seasons

Last edited by a moderator:

I like the Jim Caldwell suggestion.  With Carson and Press Taylor being buddies, I think its unlikely Press was having the hard conversations with Wentz about his play and I think Carson needs that.  Caldwell is very well regarded and should be able to maintain a proper player / coach dynamic.

Report: Eagles LB coach Ken Flajole not returning in 2021
Funny story on this. Alex Marvez who does NFL stuff with Sirus Radio but also now works wrestling AEW (He does Jaguars stuff and Shad Khans Son Tony owns the promotion) broke the report. Marvez reported this though too, 

@alexmarvez

Not sure if this is out there but I am hearing that @Eagles LBs coach Ken Flajole won't be back in 2021. May be retiring (he's 66). Coached in college from 1979 to 1997 until jumping to the NFL. Joined Eagles in 2016. Highly respected in league circles.

Per Mike Kaye

Possible replacements shouldn’t be hard to find. Depending on the scheme of the next DC, candidates who could make sense are former Washington defensive coordinator Greg Manusky, former Cowboys defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and former Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mark Duffner. The Eagles could also move defensive line coach Matt Burke to linebackers coach, as that was his specialty before moving to the trenches this season.

I'll add to the Burke stuff. He was a DC in MIA so he may very well be an inside candidate for the DC job if they are going internal route. 

Travis Fulgham week 5-8 in 2020:
- 94.5 yards/game (led league)
- 10 targets/game (3rd in league)

Rest of season:
- 17.8 yards/game (100/107 WRs)
- 2.8 targets/game (88/107 WRs)

To this day i still don't understand how he basically disappeared after a dominating month.

Travis Fulgham in 5 weeks:
- 435 yards, 4 TDs

Leading WR for Eagles in 2019:
- 490 yards, 4 TDs

Give me Harrell.  I want a new young fresh mind in here so badly.

Rest of season:

To this day i still don't understand how he basically disappeared after a dominating month.

- 435 yards, 4 TDs

- 490 yards, 4 TDs
This and continuing to start Peters are the main reasons I wanted Pederson fired. This team treats the players from the SB team as if they're untouchable and it's infuriating. Maybe Fulgham turns out to be nothing and those weeks were a fluke, but dammit let's find out and not trot out Jeffrey who we know is done. Still can't believe they wasted a roster spot on him early in the season when he was still hurt and not put him on PUP.

Rest of season:

- 435 yards, 4 TDs

- 490 yards, 4 TDs
Alshon came back. Whether that's Doug or Howie is the question. If it's Doug? It's a problem but fixable. If it's Howie, it's a huge problem and not really fixable unless you fire him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This and continuing to start Peters are the main reasons I wanted Pederson fired. This team treats the players from the SB team as if they're untouchable and it's infuriating. Maybe Fulgham turns out to be nothing and those weeks were a fluke, but dammit let's find out and not trot out Jeffrey who we know is done. Still can't believe they wasted a roster spot on him early in the season when he was still hurt and not put him on PUP.

Alshon came back. Whether that's Doug or Howie is the question. If it's Doug? It's a problem but fixable. If it's Howie, it's a huge problem and not really fixable unless you fire him. 
Could be wrong but I can’t see ANY GM in football overruling a coach like it’s done in baseball. Doug won a SB and would surely tell Howie to ‘you know what’ himself if he started meddling with his starters. Doug has always been loyal and there many examples of it since he’s been the HC. 

Maybe Fulgham isn’t anything but you have to ride the hot hand and keep feeding him if it’s working. The drop off was crazy all things considered. 

Could be wrong but I can’t see ANY GM in football overruling a coach like it’s done in baseball. Doug won a SB and would surely tell Howie to ‘you know what’ himself if he started meddling with his starters. Doug has always been loyal and there many examples of it since he’s been the HC. 

Maybe Fulgham isn’t anything but you have to ride the hot hand and keep feeding him if it’s working. The drop off was crazy all things considered. 
People keep insinuating that Howie is forcing Doug to play Peters and Alshon and others. They never provide evidence as to why though. Not just regular schlubs either. All the talking heads on the radio insist it is really happening. If that was the case, there has to be someone willing to talk about that. 

Which is why I just think it's Doug being loyal to the vets. Too loyal

People keep insinuating that Howie is forcing Doug to play Peters and Alshon and others. They never provide evidence as to why though. Not just regular schlubs either. All the talking heads on the radio insist it is really happening. If that was the case, there has to be someone willing to talk about that. 

Which is why I just think it's Doug being loyal to the vets. Too loyal
Are you surprised? They work at Hot Takes radio. 

A few reports indicate that Wentz through a representative refused to speak to reporters today. Given what’s been circulating about him and the Doug you’d have to think there’s some truth to it. I can’t imagine his agent wouldn’t tell him to squash these rumors if they weren’t true. 

That’s pretty big news before Doug’s meeting with Lurie tomorrow. 

“Doug Pederson’s status as @Eagles coach is not firm, sources tell @Tim_McManus and me.
Pederson could be out if owner Jeffrey Lurie is not confident about Pederson’s vision going forward after the two meet again soon.
Lurie’s concerns extend well beyond Carson Wentz, per sources.”

From Mortenson
I think this is pretty big. 

From McLane:

Have been unable to confirm this report, but can report that Doug Pederson was unlikely to be keen about having to make major offensive coaching changes again, per source close to the #Eagles coach.

He looks upon Press Taylor as a protege and was considering promoting him to OC.

I think Lurie planned on bringing Doug back but hasn't liked how the last week has made his team look. I personally feel there wasn't any problem with what he did Sunday but I guess NFL guys think this is a major offense. Like showing up the pitcher in baseball.

Above all, Lurie does not like to be embarassed. That was Chip's final straw.

From McLane:

Have been unable to confirm this report, but can report that Doug Pederson was unlikely to be keen about having to make major offensive coaching changes again, per source close to the #Eagles coach.

He looks upon Press Taylor as a protege and was considering promoting him to OC.
If this is true, then Dougie needs to go. Now.

Press Taylor has shown absolutely nothing in his tenure here. Worse than nothing, he's shown negative results.

Marks talked about it on the radio Friday. They made it a poll and like 90% said no. He was acting like this was the biggest no brainer if all time. 

I'd maybe do Wentz and a 2nd for Watson and a 4th or 5th. No way the #6 is involved.
IMO, it would be insane NOT to make that trade. Watson just had a great season with an absolute dumpster fire of a roster. He’s 100% a franchise QB. Any first round pick is worth giving up for him. And does anyone actually value Wentz anywhere near enough to not go after Watson? Honestly, I’m not sure why the Texans would want to make that trade. 

I don’t think it’s even possible though with the salary cap ramifications. The Eagles are already absolutely hosed on the salary cap for 2021 and trading Wentz before June 1st would leave behind a $33M dead cap hit for 2021. You’d have to get Wentz to restructure his contract in a way that he probably wouldn’t be very agreeable to and/or pay Watson peanuts this year to play behind a trash line with bargain basement receivers. 

Honestly, the Eagles should just go into tank mode and plan for a 3 year rebuild. Start cutting/trading veterans and bad contracts to clean up the cap and stockpile picks and young guys. In that case you’d probably have to designate Wentz as a post June 1 cap which would hurt a ton but could be spread over 2 years. I think the Eagles need to make their decision on Wentz now if they haven’t. Either you get rid of him now and tank/rebuild for a few years or you go all in again on him next year and hope this year was an outlier. If they go into next year with him competing for the job or as the backup, the entire organization should be shown the door.

IMO, it would be insane NOT to make that trade. Watson just had a great season with an absolute dumpster fire of a roster. He’s 100% a franchise QB. Any first round pick is worth giving up for him. And does anyone actually value Wentz anywhere near enough to not go after Watson? Honestly, I’m not sure why the Texans would want to make that trade. 

I don’t think it’s even possible though with the salary cap ramifications. The Eagles are already absolutely hosed on the salary cap for 2021 and trading Wentz before June 1st would leave behind a $33M dead cap hit for 2021. You’d have to get Wentz to restructure his contract in a way that he probably wouldn’t be very agreeable to and/or pay Watson peanuts this year to play behind a trash line with bargain basement receivers. 

Honestly, the Eagles should just go into tank mode and plan for a 3 year rebuild. Start cutting/trading veterans and bad contracts to clean up the cap and stockpile picks and young guys. In that case you’d probably have to designate Wentz as a post June 1 cap which would hurt a ton but could be spread over 2 years. I think the Eagles need to make their decision on Wentz now if they haven’t. Either you get rid of him now and tank/rebuild for a few years or you go all in again on him next year and hope this year was an outlier. If they go into next year with him competing for the job or as the backup, the entire organization should be shown the door.
I agree with the last part. Wentz needs to come in as the starter next year. If Hurts showed more ability in these 4 games than what he has, I'd say deal Wentz and don't look back. But Hurts looks like a rookie backup that has room to grow. He is not a starter yet.

Marks talked about it on the radio Friday. They made it a poll and like 90% said no. He was acting like this was the biggest no brainer if all time. 

I'd maybe do Wentz and a 2nd for Watson and a 4th or 5th. No way the #6 is involved.
That's honestly probably somewhere around 25% of what Watson would draw back in a trade. If you took out Wentz and turned that into Philly's first you probably got it up to around 50%.  If Watson gets traded he'll likely bring back a historic haul, this ain't it.

Tank mode started this season.   Didn't you notice?

You guys seem to be WAY overvaluing Wentz still. The #6 and Wentz for Watson would be an absolute steal for you, although they'd never go for it.

This seems to be the most likely course of events:

• Lurie and Doug agree things need to change
  • Doug suggests promoting Press Taylor to OC, with some play-calling relinquishment
  • Lurie would rather have new blood and full play-calling for the new OC
  • Doug is fed up with Lurie having more sway over his staff than he does, as well as the roster he's been given by Howie, these last few years
  • Lurie sees the roster and cap situation and is leaning toward seeing if a new staff can fix/get the best out of Wentz and the huge investment the team has made in him

This seems to be the most likely course of events:

• Lurie and Doug agree things need to change
  • Doug suggests promoting Press Taylor to OC, with some play-calling relinquishment
  • Lurie would rather have new blood and full play-calling for the new OC
  • Doug is fed up with Lurie having more sway over his staff than he does, as well as the roster he's been given by Howie, these last few years
  • Lurie sees the roster and cap situation and is leaning toward seeing if a new staff can fix/get the best out of Wentz and the huge investment the team has made in him
And I know Howie has sucked for the most part but he appears to be trying to save Doug from himself with these coaching hires. Doug is so bad at evaluating a coaching staff. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
And I know Howie has sucked for the most part but he appears to be trying to save Doug from himself with these coaching hires. Doug is so bad at evaluating a coaching staff. 
As loyal as he is to older players, he's 10x that with his coaches. 

Users who are viewing this thread