What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (6 Viewers)

Bigboy10182000 said:
Sources: Doug Pederson's future as Philadelphia Eagles coach shaky ahead of meeting with owner Jeffrey Lurie

In this report: 

Wentz and Doug do not trust each other

Doug is not convinced Hurts can be the guy if they move on from Wentz

So it looks like its either let Doug draft another QB or move on from him and hire another coach to fix Wentz
I’m not as down on Doug as some but given the choice I’d rather try to salvage Wentz with a new coach by far. 

My question is if we get rid of doug, which i am for,   who is the hire?  I'm convinced he's the number one problem with the team.   But no slam dunk hires are out there for us imo.   Tough spot 

ProstheticRGK said:
If this is true, then Dougie needs to go. Now.

Press Taylor has shown absolutely nothing in his tenure here. Worse than nothing, he's shown negative results.
If Doug was actually considering this, then that’s a fireable offense to me.  Shows he hasn’t really looked in the mirror about how he manages his assistant coaches.

My question is if we get rid of doug, which i am for,   who is the hire?  I'm convinced he's the number one problem with the team.   But no slam dunk hires are out there for us imo.   Tough spot 
Daboll would be my top pick. 

Insein said:
Marks talked about it on the radio Friday. They made it a poll and like 90% said no. He was acting like this was the biggest no brainer if all time. 

I'd maybe do Wentz and a 2nd for Watson and a 4th or 5th. No way the #6 is involved.
Really?  Watson is a true elite QB and thrived on a team with less talent than the Eagles.  It’s not a slam dunk but I’d think hard about it.

Impossible, cap wise, but just on player value it might be worth it.

Really?  Watson is a true elite QB and thrived on a team with less talent than the Eagles.  It’s not a slam dunk but I’d think hard about it.

Impossible, cap wise, but just on player value it might be worth it.
I would trade wentz, the 6th pick and anything else for watson

I really liked him when he was calling plays for bama.   Hes really creative and its tough to defend his stuff.  Good call.
Joe Brady and Robert Saleh would be decent options as well. Whomever they choose we just really need a strong staff around them. I don’t know if Brady or Daboll have that kind of equity yet though. 

I'm not. Carson is 1 year removed from dragging slop to the playoffs with 4000-27-7. I'd want to get a stud WR with 6 instead of getting QB who may be slightly better but got a lot of garbage time stats. 

Carson was awful THIS year. He had better stats than Watson last year and he didn't have anything close to Deandre hopkins to throw to.
True. Would be interested to see what he could do with a Diggs or Hopkins 

Insein said:
Marks talked about it on the radio Friday. They made it a poll and like 90% said no. He was acting like this was the biggest no brainer if all time. 

I'd maybe do Wentz and a 2nd for Watson and a 4th or 5th. No way the #6 is involved.
Honestly wouldn't do anything for Watson. He doesn't do much else then what happened this year anyway. I don't watch much of the Texans but I've felt like they've been underachieving especially offensively. All those weapons over the yrs he's been there too. 

Bigboy10182000 said:
From McLane:

Have been unable to confirm this report, but can report that Doug Pederson was unlikely to be keen about having to make major offensive coaching changes again, per source close to the #Eagles coach.

He looks upon Press Taylor as a protege and was considering promoting him to OC.
How much of McLane are you gonna buy though? The dude is known for spreading BS and already has with 2 stories this past season. The Lurie leaving Practice and not traveling with the team because he was disgusted (Turns out Lurie was taking precautions as he was seeing his mother on Thanksgiving) and then the report of "heated" Confrontations with Doug and Players and two players needing to be held back got obliterated in less then 24 hrs of breaking it. 

Insein said:
I think Lurie planned on bringing Doug back but hasn't liked how the last week has made his team look. I personally feel there wasn't any problem with what he did Sunday but I guess NFL guys think this is a major offense. Like showing up the pitcher in baseball.

Above all, Lurie does not like to be embarassed. That was Chip's final straw.
I think I said this after the game. I think wasn't any issues with what Doug did Sunday other then why he waited longer. However the aftermath of it all (fair or not) is making the team look bad and one thing Lurie won't tolerate is bad press especially when a lot of it is on the coach himself. If the media doesn't make a big stink about it I think he's more safe. however it looks like there's issues with Doug in hiring or firing coaches and being too loyal and Lurie sees that as a huge issue over the last 2 yrs 

Bigboy10182000 said:
Sources: Doug Pederson's future as Philadelphia Eagles coach shaky ahead of meeting with owner Jeffrey Lurie

In this report: 

Wentz and Doug do not trust each other

Doug is not convinced Hurts can be the guy if they move on from Wentz

So it looks like its either let Doug draft another QB or move on from him and hire another coach to fix Wentz
Pretty easy decision here. Fire Doug and hire a coach who can fix Wentz. We know Wentz has a track record and showed he can be an MVP level QB. We don't need top 3 QB play from Carson but anything in the top 8 is good. Who's to say these QBs coming out this year non of them ever are as talented as Wentz or others or people thinking they are better then we are? We've all seen drafts of QBs being overhyped and seen years where non of the QBs ever lived up to that hype. The top 2 selections QB wise picked 1 and 2 in Winston and Mariotta are now back ups in the NFL on other teams. IMHo this is pretty easy. Let the coach go and see if you can fix the QB you know who's shown he can be a top QB in this league. If you go the other way it might be another 5 or so yrs before we have a good QB. At the very least we need to try and Fix Wentz because we can't get rid of him either even if we wanted too. 

How much of McLane are you gonna buy though? The dude is known for spreading BS and already has with 2 stories this past season. The Lurie leaving Practice and not traveling with the team because he was disgusted (Turns out Lurie was taking precautions as he was seeing his mother on Thanksgiving) and then the report of "heated" Confrontations with Doug and Players and two players needing to be held back got obliterated in less then 24 hrs of breaking it. 
Think you right on McLane's reliability, but Doug *does* seem to over-value the bird in the hand.  Lurie showed last year he doesn't trust Doug's judgement on assistant coaches.  If Doug is in these meetings with Lurie saying "I'm gonna fix the offense by promoting Press Taylor to OC, it's gonna be awesome!", then I can see Lurie throwing up his hands and saying "Fine, you're outta here."

From the article this quote got me 

"“I think (Taylor’s) mind for the game is tremendous,” the coach told NJAM on Sunday. “It’s hard to judge the guy on his cooking (of the offense) when he hasn’t bought the groceries.”

I've read and heard a lot of similar stuff. I forget where I Read it but they talked about Press Taylor awhile back (maybe when they promoted him when Flip left) about what a great offensive mind he has. They were talking about some passing stuff that The Eagles were using or he brought up before many teams starting using them and other things to work an offense. 

Now my question and the big question to this is. If he's such a great offensive mind than why has Wentz regressed and why hasn't the offense been that successful with him? Is there issues beyond that he can't control here that is holding it back, approach and style to it, certain players not fitting the offense, etc? I think those are big questions that need to be answered. maybe Taylor as the OC isn't bad if you have a QB coach playing the bad cop role for Wentz here. Seemed to work with Reich and Fipp maybe similar here? 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash
Think you right on McLane's reliability, but Doug *does* seem to over-value the bird in the hand.  Lurie showed last year he doesn't trust Doug's judgement on assistant coaches.  If Doug is in these meetings with Lurie saying "I'm gonna fix the offense by promoting Press Taylor to OC, it's gonna be awesome!", then I can see Lurie throwing up his hands and saying "Fine, you're outta here."
I agree with that. I'm just more so saying until I hear the same from others on Jeffs story I don't buy anything he's trying to sell. He's the biggest BS'er and from what I've been told whenever others in the media call him out either personally or publicly he backtracks and tries to play the victim. He's apparently one of the biggest media bullies too. He's also been known to steal stories from other media members too. 

I do think Lurie doesn't trust Doug on his coaches. We saw it last year and seems to be the case this year. 

From the article this quote got me 

"“I think (Taylor’s) mind for the game is tremendous,” the coach told NJAM on Sunday. “It’s hard to judge the guy on his cooking (of the offense) when he hasn’t bought the groceries.”

I've read and heard a lot of similar stuff. I forget where I Read it but they talked about Press Taylor awhile back (maybe when they promoted him when Flip left) about what a great offensive mind he has. They were talking about some passing stuff that The Eagles were using or he brought up before many teams starting using them and other things to work an offense. 

Now my question and the big question to this is. If he's such a great offensive mind than why has Wentz regressed and why hasn't the offense been that successful with him? Is there issues beyond that he can't control here that is holding it back, approach and style to it, certain players not fitting the offense, etc? I think those are big questions that need to be answered. maybe Taylor as the OC isn't bad if you have a QB coach playing the bad cop role for Wentz here. Seemed to work with Reich and Fipp maybe similar here? 
Thats a fair point, but how do you justify a promotion for him when Wentz has gone from MVP front runner to worst starting QB in the league with his teaching?  The dynamic of his & Wentz friendship clearly doesn't work in his job as a coach which is reason enough for him to go IMO.  If Wentz doesn't want better coaching after that season, then moving on from him would be better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a fair point, but how do you justify a promotion for him when Wentz has gone from MVP front runner to worst starting QB in the league with his teaching?  The dynamic of his & Wentz friendship clearly doesn't work in his job as a coach which is reason enough for him to go IMO.  If Wentz doesn't want better coaching after that season, then moving on from him would be better. 
I don't think it's as much as Wentz not wanting coaching as I think Press allows his relationship to not allow him to coach Wentz Harder. Carson seems to be a player who needs that extra push. That's not meant in a negative way either. There's plenty great athletes over the years who needed that one coach who gave them the extra push to get all that talent out of them. One of the reasons I can't stand NBA players anymore is they don't like that. They've become soft and run these organizations The minute you tell them no they throw a temper-tantrum and go to their agent about wanting to be traded. It's why a lot of them don't reach their full potential. 

Like I said before questions need to be answered. If it's not Press and an issue out of his control then can you clearly deny the guy the right to be promoted? Maybe with said promotion those issues get fixed as he gets more say? However I don't know nor have I seen anywhere that suggests that Wentz isn't coachable other then people making assumptions. I just think its one of those questions if Taylor has such a great offensive mind why isn't it working here and it's been said it's not all his fault. Also I found the article talking about him. He's the one who brought The Philly Special to an idea here

Press Taylor tells story how he brought Philly Special to SB

I don't think it's as much as Wentz not wanting coaching as I think Press allows his relationship to not allow him to coach Wentz Harder. Carson seems to be a player who needs that extra push. That's not meant in a negative way either. There's plenty great athletes over the years who needed that one coach who gave them the extra push to get all that talent out of them. One of the reasons I can't stand NBA players anymore is they don't like that. They've become soft and run these organizations The minute you tell them no they throw a temper-tantrum and go to their agent about wanting to be traded. It's why a lot of them don't reach their full potential. 

Like I said before questions need to be answered. If it's not Press and an issue out of his control then can you clearly deny the guy the right to be promoted? Maybe with said promotion those issues get fixed as he gets more say? However I don't know nor have I seen anywhere that suggests that Wentz isn't coachable other then people making assumptions. I just think its one of those questions if Taylor has such a great offensive mind why isn't it working here and it's been said it's not all his fault. Also I found the article talking about him. He's the one who brought The Philly Special to an idea here

Press Taylor tells story how he brought Philly Special to SB
Both things can't be true though.  If you look at Wentz as he is now, either Taylor has done a bad job, or Wentz isn't doing what his coach is telling him to do.  If Taylor does end up getting fired, Wentz has to look in the mirror and understand he's a big reason why.

Both things can't be true though.  If you look at Wentz as he is now, either Taylor has done a bad job, or Wentz isn't doing what his coach is telling him to do.  If Taylor does end up getting fired, Wentz has to look in the mirror and understand he's a big reason why.
I agree. I'm just saying I haven't heard or seen anything concrete on Wentz not being coachable. A lot of that has been speculation or from guys with agendas. I've heard Taylor as the QB coach was an issue but I never got specifics why. Is it because he's too soft on Wentz and doesn't push him enough or something else I haven't heard. I just think it's interesting from an outsider to figure this out. I've read a lot about the guy over time and he seems to have a very intelligent mind on Offensive concepts and schemes. Why it hasn't worked for him and Wentz we don't really know for sure. It's interesting that I read and hear how great of a mind he is but then I hear from trusted people how he's part of the problem for Wentz. I want both to work however because I believe in a better situation Press Taylor goes elsewhere and we are gonna be left with what went wrong here and why couldn't it happen here. He seems well respected around the league and well thought of that the Eagles promoted him to QB coach to stop other teams from hiring. So I'm curious what the issues are and if they haven't been unearthed yet. 

Watson is not going to Philly and that contract of Wentz is basically un-tradable. The Eagles are in cap hell. Period. 

Wentz is going no where.

I think Wentz can still be a very good QB. This is not a physical issue. It is all between the ears right now. He seriously needs to de-compress, and regain his confidence. Hurts is clearly not the answer IMO.

Watson is not going to Philly and that contract of Wentz is basically un-tradable. The Eagles are in cap hell. Period. 

Wentz is going no where.

I think Wentz can still be a very good QB. This is not a physical issue. It is all between the ears right now. He seriously needs to de-compress, and regain his confidence. Hurts is clearly not the answer IMO.
I think the month off watching Jalen actually could do him some good in this case. He hasn't had a chance to watch someone do his job (aside from injury) in avery long time. Maybe he can do some self evaluation to make some changes to his game that were slacking. Doesn't hurt that he's fully healthy and hasnt been hit since 12/6. 

Not a chance. Pederson and Wentz together is the problem. That's one of the reasons Lurie might fire Doug.
Yep. Hey, if we can get a draft pick back, go for it.

Personally, think the issue is more Wentz then Pederson, but it's close imo.

According to DJax's favorite beat reporter, Jeff McLane, these are the changes Doug suggested to Lurie in their initial end-of-year meeting (that apparently Lurie told him to go back and come up with something better):

• Promote Press Taylor to OC
  • Move Andrew Breiner from pass game analyst to QBs coach
  • Promote Matt Burke from DL coach to DC, or bring ex-DBs coach Cory Undlin back as DC
  • Retain Dave Fipp as ST coordinator
Sticking point seems to be Doug wants to (as he often has) promote from within while Lurie wants to try and bring in top talent.

Sure there's always a desire to have a good balance of both those things in building/maintaining a coaching staff (or even a front office), but Doug doing just that these last few years hasn't lead to much good so it's tough to try and keep sticking with it. The mess of an offensive staff that they assembled last season seems to have been a failed compromise of trying to do both things at the same time.

According to DJax's favorite beat reporter, Jeff McLane, these are the changes Doug suggested to Lurie in their initial end-of-year meeting (that apparently Lurie told him to go back and come up with something better):

• Promote Press Taylor to OC
  • Move Andrew Breiner from pass game analyst to QBs coach
  • Promote Matt Burke from DL coach to DC, or bring ex-DBs coach Cory Undlin back as DC
  • Retain Dave Fipp as ST coordinator
Sticking point seems to be Doug wants to (as he often has) promote from within while Lurie wants to try and bring in top talent.

Sure there's always a desire to have a good balance of both those things in building/maintaining a coaching staff (or even a front office), but Doug doing just that these last few years hasn't lead to much good so it's tough to try and keep sticking with it. The mess of an offensive staff that they assembled last season seems to have been a failed compromise of trying to do both things at the same time.
Promoting from within makes sense after a successful season but how do you sell the owner that the best way to fix this mess is by promoting the people that contributed to it.  :loco:

At this point you have to fire Howie, too, right? Right???

What coaching candidate is gonna walk into the existing front office structure?

Always felt Pederson or Wentz would no longer co-exist and one had to go. Seems likely to me Wentz will now be retained and they will try and fix him, that's what I'd do and what I think they will do as well.

Betting this was more mutual than it appears. Lurie wanted big changes to the staff. Doug wanted to stay loyal to his guys and have more independence. Doug saw there are a bunch of head coaching opportunities where his SB resume will likely afford him that opportunity elsewhere if Lurie wouldn't, so he stood his ground.  

He didn't exactly pull a George Costanza and drag the Lombardi around the parking lot of Nova Care, but he definitely wasn't trying NOT to get fired.

Does Lurie have a replacement in waiting somewhere, who do we hope for?
Im sure after the first meeting they anticipated being at this point. I’d like to change gears and get a defensive guy like Saleh if possible but won’t complain if it’s a Brady type as well. We just needed a change and a heavy emphasis on coaching up these players. 

I can’t believe Doug actually was going to just promote everyone on this staff though after what’s been happening here. It’s unbelievable 

Always felt Pederson or Wentz would no longer co-exist and one had to go. Seems likely to me Wentz will now be retained and they will try and fix him, that's what I'd do and what I think they will do as well.
The second Wentz said what he said though people this was the only option. You have a star QB who knows he’s surrounded by morons to the point he wanted out. That’s a toxic environment and you gotta act quickly. 

Users who are viewing this thread