What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (4 Viewers)

It's early. If Hurts is still playing like this by preseason game 3, then I feel we just play out the year with him and our losses will net us a good pick next year. We can then draft a QB or go for Watson or Rodgers. 
Its 1 day of camp. LOL. I'd say it's still pretty early considering new QB and an entire coaching change. Even if he looks like this game 1 I want nothing to do with Watson though. 

Its 1 day of camp. LOL. I'd say it's still pretty early considering new QB and an entire coaching change. Even if he looks like this game 1 I want nothing to do with Watson though. 
Not this year anyway. Watson will be there in the off-season if he clears everything up. Otherwise no one is taking that deal. 

Insein said:
It's early. If Hurts is still playing like this by preseason game 3, then I feel we just play out the year with him and our losses will net us a good pick next year. We can then draft a QB or go for Watson or Rodgers. 
Sign Rodgers and draft a guy he's cool with is the best way to go IMHO 

I spoke to someone today who knows a little more about the Watson stuff. He has nothing specific but said there's people inside the HOU org that believe if Watson's case go to criminal court Watson might be donezo for his career even if the civil case is solved out of court. I just think it's too much of a risk with the guy at this point. 

We aren't desperate for the guy we just won a SB 4 yrs ago. Ride out Hurts and if he's still bad we go get our guy in the draft and sniff out what Rodgers want and what he's cool with. 

Sign Rodgers and draft a guy he's cool with is the best way to go IMHO 

I spoke to someone today who knows a little more about the Watson stuff. He has nothing specific but said there's people inside the HOU org that believe if Watson's case go to criminal court Watson might be donezo for his career even if the civil case is solved out of court. I just think it's too much of a risk with the guy at this point. 

We aren't desperate for the guy we just won a SB 4 yrs ago. Ride out Hurts and if he's still bad we go get our guy in the draft and sniff out what Rodgers want and what he's cool with. 

Exactly. There is no rush. Hurts either plays good and we keep him or he plays bad and gets us a high pick. No need to do any deal. 

Yea, Risk factor on Watson is through the roof.  Not this year. I am super skeptical on Hurts, but #### it, lets see if he can improve. He says and does the right thing, I like the guy's personality.  Can he improve? Probably not enough .... but I'm happy to give him the chance.

Yea, Risk factor on Watson is through the roof.  Not this year. I am super skeptical on Hurts, but #### it, lets see if he can improve. He says and does the right thing, I like the guy's personality.  Can he improve? Probably not enough .... but I'm happy to give him the chance.
Early reports after the first two days aren’t glowing. Somewhat rough first day, a little better day 2 but still holding the ball too long and struggling in the middle of the field. 

Early reports after the first two days aren’t glowing. Somewhat rough first day, a little better day 2 but still holding the ball too long and struggling in the middle of the field. 
I'm okay with these reports. He's got a learning curve with an arc that probably doesn't level off for a few more months (not weeks) and it's his first training camp where he's the number one guy heading into the season. A new head coach with a new offensive scheme to learn only increases the arc of the curve. 

I'm okay with these reports. He's got a learning curve with an arc that probably doesn't level off for a few more months (not weeks) and it's his first training camp where he's the number one guy heading into the season. A new head coach with a new offensive scheme to learn only increases the arc of the curve. 
Yep.

Exactly. There is no rush. Hurts either plays good and we keep him or he plays bad and gets us a high pick. No need to do any deal. 
How do you sell that to a staff and management who are judged based on their job performance as well? 

There’s no mulligan this year and surly not a single person is onboard with “if he stinks we get a high pick”. If he is sucking in practices and the chance is there to get Watson it’s a done deal. 

Watson is pretty much the only choice at the moment. If we suck Rodgers isn’t coming here and than you roll the dice on a rookie QB and risk more sucky seasons while he develops. Waiting until Watson fixes the issue shoots his value way up as well. We have 2 ones right now and his value is in the toilet. No one can beat our offer and need for the position. 

Now I just get to root for the Colts to be plain bad. High 2 is the goal now. Jacob Eason will at least be protected with a good Offensive Line and get a shot to show what he can do. 

Now I just get to root for the Colts to be plain bad. High 2 is the goal now. Jacob Eason will at least be protected with a good Offensive Line and get a shot to show what he can do. 
Was there something saying he wont be ready to start when the season opens? I saw he had a foot injury but nothing serious

Was there something saying he wont be ready to start when the season opens? I saw he had a foot injury but nothing serious
No, but has been ruled out "indefinitely until further testing" 

Reading between the lines, it seems like a non contact injury, and if thats the case, usually not good for a short term recovery. 

Pure speculation on my part and while I do not root for injury, I surely did not like the prospect of rooting for his team this year. 

Attended training camp this morning, and here's what stood out:

• I've been to multiple training camps for all 3 of the previous head coaching tenures (Andy, Chip, Doug) and the HC is almost always walking around and observing, taking notes, talking to the coordinators and position coaches, and giving direction to the staff that keep practice moving and the players going from field to field or drill to drill. Sirianni is not like that. He was vocal (and loud) the entire 75 minutes and in the middle of everything either coaching up someone, or some unit, the entire time. I heard him yell something about "fundamentals" or "details" at least 10 times each. At one point he stopped practice because the 2nd team was so sloppy, pulled the entire roster in and gave them a "lecture". Not in a scolding way, but more like a teaching way. Couldn't hear most of it, but he definitely said something about learning from having a bad start and turning it around.
  • Most of the vets had a "rest" day (Kelce, Graham, Slay, Lane, Cox, Ertz, etc.) but even though they weren't participating they were either with their position groups pumping up the guys that were, or were hanging in a "vet" group to watch the 11-on-11 or 7-on-7 work. But there was one exception: Zach Ertz. Never saw him with the TE's and when all the vets were together, he was a few steps away, almost isolated/alone and not really interacting or getting caught up in the offense versus defense outcomes. His body language was definitely "Why am I still here? I can't wait to move on."
  • DeVonta Smith looks like a vet out there. Runs routes smoothly and correctly, hauls in everything, adjusts his body when needed to make the catch, and his speed looks effortless. His legs, however, do look like tooth picks and made me nervous every time I looked at them while he was running, so I had to make myself stop fixating on them. He was obviously getting 1st team reps, but he was also getting 3rd team reps more than a few times. I'm sure extra reps will be good for the rookie. 
  • Joe Flacco is definitely as advertised: past his prime. He sailed multiple passes and threw check-down after check-down. For some reason, there was a called bootleg for him that went nowhere. Nick Mullens looked surprisingly sharp and outplayed Flacco. 
  • Steve Nelson didn't look bad, per se, but for sure looked to be new to a team/defense and seemed to be shaking some of the rust off.
  • Hurts seemed to be mostly ok. Only saw one "wow" play for him. In 11-on-11 red zone he scrambled away from a defensive lineman that came through untouched and just when it looked like he was going to run it, he pulled up and hit Jason Croom in the corner of the end zone for a TD. Later, Davion Taylor should have had any easy INT off Hurts but was a bit slow to react and go up for it.
  • Miles Sanders didn't really stand out. Had a drop that was on a bad throw from Hurts that he still had plenty of time to adjust to, but didn't. 
  • Saw at least 3 dropped punts by the punt returners, but don't know who exactly dropped them as they were fielding punts on the other side of the field from where I was standing. I did see more than a few shanks by Siposs, but hard to tell if he was working on directional kicks or not.
  • Funniest moment of the day was seeing Tyree Jackson (at 6-7, the tallest guy on the team) taking passes from the Juggs machine while Boston Scott (the smallest guy) stood close by waiting for his turn. Reminded me of this.
ETA: another funny moment was when Mike Quick tried to cut across the corner of the practice field (which only media can do, fans have to stay behind a certain line all around the field) and not one, but TWO, of the event staff tried stopping him because he didn't have his media credential showing. By the time they yelled at him, he was already off the field and where he needed to go so he just gave them a dismissive "Yeah, yeah" gesture and nod. The fans nearby were incredulous that neither of the "security" people recognized/knew him and ribbed them about it. Their stance was, "I don't know him, but even if I did and it was the CEO of the team (who they also didn't appear to know by name or sight, either), if they don't have a pass I'm not letting them step on the field." 

Last edited by a moderator:

• Funniest moment of the day was seeing Tyree Jackson (at 6-7, the tallest guy on the team) taking passes from the Juggs machine while Boston Scott (the smallest guy) stood close by waiting for his turn. Reminded me of this.
ETA: another

I remember back when camp was at Lehigh watching Terrell Owens line up against Lito Sheppard - the difference was striking!

Yeah I got no issue with Hurts personality wise. Does and says all the right things. It's just that I've watched him play since Freshman year and he's marginally improved since Freshman year. Nothing that says to me he's an NFL starting QB. So far his play tells me a very good back up who can start a few games for you or bridge the gap till you get your guy or he's ready to play. 

I'm just gonna laugh when he struggles and all the Hurts fans use all the same excuses they told everyone didn't count for Wentz on Hurts though. you know the type. The ones who say they don't care or complain about Philly media bringing up Wentz but secretly will be checking in on how he's doing and any chance where Hurts plays better then Wentz will let everyone know it 

I saw that even if he has surgery it's minor and may miss only the preseason maybe the Opener and another game. 

• I've been to multiple training camps for all 3 of the previous head coaching tenures (Andy, Chip, Doug) and the HC is almost always walking around and observing, taking notes, talking to the coordinators and position coaches, and giving direction to the staff that keep practice moving and the players going from field to field or drill to drill. Sirianni is not like that. He was vocal (and loud) the entire 75 minutes and in the middle of everything either coaching up someone, or some unit, the entire time. I heard him yell something about "fundamentals" or "details" at least 10 times each. At one point he stopped practice because the 2nd team was so sloppy, pulled the entire roster in and gave them a "lecture". Not in a scolding way, but more like a teaching way. Couldn't hear most of it, but he definitely said something about learning from having a bad start and turning it around.
  • Most of the vets had a "rest" day (Kelce, Graham, Slay, Lane, Cox, Ertz, etc.) but even though they weren't participating they were either with their position groups pumping up the guys that were, or were hanging in a "vet" group to watch the 11-on-11 or 7-on-7 work. But there was one exception: Zach Ertz. Never saw him with the TE's and when all the vets were together, he was a few steps away, almost isolated/alone and not really interacting or getting caught up in the offense versus defense outcomes. His body language was definitely "Why am I still here? I can't wait to move on."
  • DeVonta Smith looks like a vet out there. Runs routes smoothly and correctly, hauls in everything, adjusts his body when needed to make the catch, and his speed looks effortless. His legs, however, do look like tooth picks and made me nervous every time I looked at them while he was running, so I had to make myself stop fixating on them. He was obviously getting 1st team reps, but he was also getting 3rd team reps more than a few times. I'm sure extra reps will be good for the rookie. 
  • Joe Flacco is definitely as advertised: past his prime. He sailed multiple passes and threw check-down after check-down. For some reason, there was a called bootleg for him that went nowhere. Nick Mullens looked surprisingly sharp and outplayed Flacco. 
  • Steve Nelson didn't look bad, per se, but for sure looked to be new to a team/defense and seemed to be shaking some of the rust off.
  • Hurts seemed to be mostly ok. Only saw one "wow" play for him. In 11-on-11 red zone he scrambled away from a defensive lineman that came through untouched and just when it looked like he was going to run it, he pulled up and hit Jason Croom in the corner of the end zone for a TD. Later, Davion Taylor should have had any easy INT off Hurts but was a bit slow to react and go up for it.
  • Miles Sanders didn't really stand out. Had a drop that was on a bad throw from Hurts that he still had plenty of time to adjust to, but didn't. 
  • Saw at least 3 dropped punts by the punt returners, but don't know who exactly dropped them as they were fielding punts on the other side of the field from where I was standing. I did see more than a few shanks by Siposs, but hard to tell if he was working on directional kicks or not.
ETA: another funny moment was when Mike Quick tried to cut across the corner of the practice field (which only media can do, fans have to stay behind a certain line all around the field) and not one, but TWO, of the event staff tried stopping him because he didn't have his media credential showing. By the time they yelled at him, he was already off the field and where he needed to go so he just gave them a dismissive "Yeah, yeah" gesture and nod. The fans nearby were incredulous that neither of the "security" people recognized/knew him and ribbed them about it. Their stance was, "I don't know him, but even if I did and it was the CEO of the team (who they also didn't appear to know by name or sight, either), if they don't have a pass I'm not letting them step on the field." 
Thought you were gonna show the Derrick Henrey next to Damien Lewis.

Thanks for the notes as always 

I remember back when camp was at Lehigh watching Terrell Owens line up against Lito Sheppard - the difference was striking!
Only difference from that and todays players is at least back then Lito had a chance. Today you touch the WR as a DB and they throw a flag on you. Breath on the guy you might be in jeopardy of being tossed....

So it was the right call to get rid of Wentz after all. 
I wouldn't said it was right after all. Still got awhile before anyone can say anything. Who knows maybe Wentz after this doesn't have another injury again and wins 2 SBs and multiple MVPs all while Hurts sucks and the Eagles are stuck in QB Purgatory for yrs to come. 

The only thing I will say was the right call was firing Doug. 

If we take 65 plays per game as the average, then Carson needs to play at least 12 games with the playoffs or 13 games without. Still a good chance unless something is really serious injury wise. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You honestly think he won't miss more time with different injuries? Starting the season two games in the hole is the kiss of death. 
I think he ends up playing more games then people think honestly. I don't think the Eagles did enough to really protect Wentz in play calling and such. 

I think he ends up playing more games then people think honestly. I don't think the Eagles did enough to really protect Wentz in play calling and such. 
Don't misunderstand me, I think he's a better QB than most do. He simply can't stay healthy.

Now, fortunately for him,  Indy has maybe the best o-line in football. That will help him for sure. He just takes so many stupid hits because he holds the ball too long.

Don't misunderstand me, I think he's a better QB than most do. He simply can't stay healthy.

Now, fortunately for him,  Indy has maybe the best o-line in football. That will help him for sure. He just takes so many stupid hits because he holds the ball too long.
Wentz is petulant by nature which is exasperated by his inability to stay healthy and evidenced by continuous hero ball mentality. He is in one of the best places regarding his coaching history and minimal media scrutiny in relation to Philly so if he can’t get it right in Indy it’s probably curtains. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash
If we take 65 plays per game as the average, then Carson needs to play at least 12 games with the playoffs or 13 games without. Still a good chance unless something is really serious injury wise. 
It's going to be a very Philly thing that happens.  He will miss the first 1/3rd of the season and then lead his team to win a super bowl and we get pick 64.

I heard surgery would be minor misses week 1 maybe 2 thats it. 

Per Dr. Chao (the "Pro Football Doc"), surgery right away still puts him out for likely the first 5 games. 

Chao set the over-under for Wentz's return at Week 6, again, if he were to have surgery immediately. If accurate, that would mean that Wentz would miss the rest of training camp and the preseason, plus five regular season games

Can't imagine the Colts wouldn't prefer him get the surgery. It puts the the issue behind him for sure (instead of "hoping" that rest works), they still have 12 games to play, and they get to keep their first round pick. 

@AdamSchefter

Update on Eagles’ first-round pick DeVonta Smith: He is expected to miss two to three weeks with a sprained MCL, per sources. Smith underwent an MRI on Sunday that revealed the injury.

Can't imagine the Colts wouldn't prefer him get the surgery. It puts the the issue behind him for sure (instead of "hoping" that rest works), they still have 12 games to play, and they get to keep their first round pick. 

And, here it is:

@AdamSchefter

Colts HC Frank Reich said Carson Wentz will undergo foot surgery.

Users who are viewing this thread