What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (8 Viewers)

Conversation on Twitter with Joe banner and someone:

—@JoeBanner13 you still think the Eagles know their guy? You mentioned only makes sense to fire Dougie P. If they have their replacement. Who do you think it is?

—Yes

—Joe, I really respect you - I think you are holding onto a name out of respect to them, but let me ask this - what percentage would you put on them getting THEIR guy?

—If nothing changes (someone else blows them away) 90%.

So I've been talking to two members of the media. One is a known Eagles beat guy and other guy covers a lot of different stuff but he's become a good friend of mine do to similar interest and seeing him at some heavy metal festival and beer festivals in the area. So here's what I got from the one guy and it's really good info. I've been feeding info to them I've gotten or heard to see what's true or not. I've done this for yrs with wrestling and started with Lower level guys to weed out what is real rumor wise and what was BS or fluff. 

Press Taylor/Carson Wentz:

Mixed opinions Seems like he is generally regarded as a good coach who will do well elsewhere. He Mentioned that Wentz needs to be coached hard by the QB coach and Press isn't that guy and why DeFlippo succeeded with him (Which is stuff we've discussed here so we're right on this). This doesn't mean though with the right QB coach Wentz couldn't be successful with Taylor as OC though. Press in that situation would be playing the Reich role for Wentz. This also doesn't say Wentz is un-coachable just that he needs to be coached differently which many players need different styles to get the best out of them. Carson is always looking at tape and all. Feels that Carson may not of at the time felt he needed the benching but believes he's figuring it out that it was good for him. The Eagles especially Lurie were trying to protect Carson health wise because he was having such little care playing with reckless abandon. Lurie and Howie knew Carson was pressing and they both still love Carson as the franchise QB. 

Jeffrey Lurie:

He's involved pretty heavily on ALL TEAM DECISIONS and to take his he's had the same level of involvement for the last 25 yrs with a grain of Salt. I was not given anything specific decision on what involved he's had. As much as he is concerned with the offense he's equally if not more upset how bad the Defense has been. This may have been in an article today I read or a tweet but Lurie for as happy he was with the SB told Schwartz he was disappointed and concerned with the Defensive performance after great efforts vs ATL and MINN.

On Doug Pederson:

Lurie cares as much if not more then the Fans wanting to win multiple Lombardis. From my source Perspective it looked like Pederson was looking to get fired. Lurie was willing to give him another year but he could tell Doug looked done. The Eagles would've let him have more decision making on his staff had his last promotions and hires had done better. Lurie loves Doug and has known his family for yrs but was trying to Save him from himself. He knew Doug wouldn't fire certain coaches so he had to pull the plug with Howie for him on a few. Lurie also wants to rebuild rather than retool and Doug didn't seem to be on board with that in the least. The other thing he mentioned is the Players loved Doug and there was never any sort of mutiny. That was just written by some hack writer because he's always desperate for clicks and loves to lie (Mentioning Jeff McLane). Doug loved the players like they were his own kids and some of the players are really upset that because of their play they got Doug fired. He also mentioned Rob Manddii's report on Wentz/Pederson and said the story of fracture was not as bad as it was reported first. Difference of opinions for sure but in the end Wentz just felt Doug hadn't defended and protected him enough publicly or privately with the franchise. Wentz feels like people he trusted had abandoned him.

Howie Roseman: 

We definitely don't know everything and we are all highly anticipating that book Lurie mentioned when he leaves. Lurie is married to Howie as many would believe. however he trusts Howie to get out of this mess like he was able to weave through the Chip Disaster. If he didn't believe Howie could get out of this hole he'd have been fired already. Lurie and team tried to add on to what they had for the SB but forgot and ignored some serious holes that eventually reared their ugly heads again. Lurie seems done with keeping Aging Veterans unless they are on cheap deals that make sense for the team. Lurie and Roseman would like to see younger players play. He didn't mention specific moves either. Howie definitely regrets the QB factory comment for sure. The Eagles always like drafting a QB that needs time to develop and then if they have to play and play well enough can trade them later. Howie would like to keep Ertz but they also are so above the cap there's no way they are gonna be able to keep him especially having Goedert who the Eagles know if he wasn't with the Eagles would be starting on every other team in the League that doesn't have a Ertz/Kelce/Kittle. As well as the fact they drafted Dallas for this very situation of not being able to retain Ertz. 

Coaching Search: 

Mentioned a few coaches. Said he doesn't believe that the Eagles are set in stone on Hurts either way. He has a lot of detractors in the Org still who feel he's a project and if they got an offer for him this offseason would seriously think of dealing him. Many are still in Wentz camp. Doesn't believe if the Eagles hired Lincoln Riley that is means Hurts is the guy. He feels thats just "media talk" to get a story and just because a certain coach has coached a player before doesn't guarantee he'd have that player again. He doesn't believe Riley is a real option and his opinion is the Eagles should stay clear of college coaches and bring someone like Joe Brady or Daboo from Buff in for Wentz. Referring to the defensive coaches available said it's not a surprise. Lurie was not happy with the defense but could see a few of these guys being interviewed to gauge possible DC availability as well (which was mentioned here with Mayo). 

Thats all I got today. However it was informative and gave some truth to some of the stuff opinions wise many of us have had. I gave him some other stuff in a follow up email and will wait to hear back. Not sure when we'll talk again but my initial email to him was sent a little over a month. if I get a follow up I'll post what I was given 

Last edited by a moderator:
Casting a wide net for Doug Pederson’s successor, the Philadelphia Eagles have requested an interview with an NFC East rival, Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, for their head coach opening, according to a source. 

Casting a wide net for Doug Pederson’s successor, the Philadelphia Eagles have requested an interview with an NFC East rival, Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, for their head coach opening, according to a source. 
I hope Howie asked him to explain how each of his offensive plays works and run through some play calling scenarios.

Well, ####:

Look for #Eagles OL coach Jeff Stoutland to replace Kyle Flood (off to Texas) as #Alabama’s offensive line coach. Stoutland who was the Tide’s OL coach in 2011-12, and Nick Saban go back a long time.

Eagles offensive line rank under Jeff Stoutland (PFF):
- 2013: 1st
- 2014: 2nd
- 2015: 12th
- 2016: 8th
- 2017: 1st
- 2018: 1st
- 2019: 1st

Despite an absurd 14 different OL combinations in 2020, Eagles OL ranked 15th in pass pro, 17th in run blocking.

Well, ####:

Look for #Eagles OL coach Jeff Stoutland to replace Kyle Flood (off to Texas) as #Alabama’s offensive line coach. Stoutland who was the Tide’s OL coach in 2011-12, and Nick Saban go back a long time.

Despite an absurd 14 different OL combinations in 2020, Eagles OL ranked 15th in pass pro, 17th in run blocking.
If that happens Kelce probably retires

Well, ####:

Context of the 2020 season. Following players were all in rotation:
- LT4 (dillard-JP-Mailata-Toth)
- LG3 (Seumalo-Pryor-Herbig)
- C1
- RG5 (Brooks-Herbig-Pryor-Jamon-Opeta)
- RT4 (Lane-Mailata-Driscoll-Pryor)

Yea, thats a big loss. The *should* allow whoever the new coach is to hire his own assistants - or at least give him the opportunity to. So I'd get why an assistant or position coach would go get a new job while he could.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Well, ####:

roll tide

@Insein

posted on 11/26:

Peters and Jeffrey are playing because Howie paid them. He decides who plays and sits, not Doug. #dysfunctional

Eskin just on WIP and said that Howie decided who was active and inactive on game days.

Please don’t doubt me again if I decide to share something here

Per Les Bowen:

So the latest on Jeff Stoutland: My understanding is, of course he's up in the air, with the Eagles having no head coach. And Alabama is interested in bringing him back. But Stoutland is under contract and is not intent on leaving. Hasn't decided to leave.

@Insein

posted on 11/26:

Peters and Jeffrey are playing because Howie paid them. He decides who plays and sits, not Doug. #dysfunctional

Eskin just on WIP and said that Howie decided who was active and inactive on game days.

Please don’t doubt me again if I decide to share something here
As much as I like Eskin it doesn’t make sense. What would stop Doug from saying “no”? It’s literally that simple for ANY HC. 

“Play Alshon”

”No”

🤷‍♂️

As much as I like Eskin it doesn’t make sense. What would stop Doug from saying “no”? It’s literally that simple for ANY HC. 

“Play Alshon”

”No”

🤷‍♂️
Regardless of whether you can make sense of it or not, it was happening. Report this week by Mclane that confirmed my post from months back that Lurie forced JJAW on Howie. 

Regardless of whether you can make sense of it or not, it was happening. Report this week by Mclane that confirmed my post from months back that Lurie forced JJAW on Howie. 
I disagree. It does have to make sense to some extent. Same with the report from McLane (who has been wrong a TON) about JJAW being forced on anyone. There’s literally 3 separate reports of that pick and all say something completely different. How do you choose which to believe? 

In addition to McLane’s you have:

-Howie and scouts wanted Metcalf but coaches wanted JJAW because of scheme fit

-Metcalf red flagged

All recently rehashed and have been out there for a while. 

Forgive me if I don't believe Howard freaking Eskin at his word.
And these guys are just wrong at times.

Thats after the fact that it makes ZERO sense.

Like I get it, Doug is gone so now we have to take our fires and pitchforks over to Howie’s place but some of us have been there for a while already lol. 

After Howie is gone it will be the owners turn and then we will circle back to the HC and GM after that. It’s good talk radio to have a meddling owner who’s the secret bad guy. I get it. I won’t think Lurie is Jerry Jones or Al Davis or what Shad Khan says he’ll be until I see it or he says it. There’s literally no reason for an owner to lie about his involvement. It’s not like the court of public opinion can do anything to him anyway. 

I listened to the latest Chris Long podcast yesterday and he had some interesting things to say about Wentz.  He said Carson works really hard and isn’t uncoachable, but he is stubborn.  Needs to be coached by a really strong personality who’ll call him on his BS, otherwise he’ll just do what he’s going to do.

That’s probably the explanation that makes the most sense for how things have worked out.

Bigboy10182000 said:
I like this, it makes a lot of sense.  He seems to be well though of in the league, but even it you’re not going to hire him, get a brain dump on your team from a division rival.  Would be a great perspective to have.

Also, Jerruh’s gotta be pissed since they just gave him a big pay rise. 🤣

I listened to the latest Chris Long podcast yesterday and he had some interesting things to say about Wentz.  He said Carson works really hard and isn’t uncoachable, but he is stubborn.  Needs to be coached by a really strong personality who’ll call him on his BS, otherwise he’ll just do what he’s going to do.

That’s probably the explanation that makes the most sense for how things have worked out.
It's like having a Dad who is fair but firm with his kids vs the step dad that wants to be their friend and hang out and party. 

Urban Meyer goes to Jacksonville as expected 

If we are not the next to sign a HC, how much to you want to bet that the next one “was the one we wanted” per our media? 

If we are not the next to sign a HC, how much to you want to bet that the next one “was the one we wanted” per our media? 
I'm not convinced at all this is going to be a success.  Guy has retired 3 times for "health reasons" and you can recruit your way to victory at OSU and other big schools.  How long is it since he really had to out-coach someone every week to get a win?

They struggled to get a candidate in 2016, it should be worse this year.  There's a fair chance that on Feb 19 we get something like this:

Jeff: "After a thorough and comprehensive process, we've finally selected the candidate we feel is best suited to guide the Eagles to multiple Superbowls over the next 10 years.  He built an outstanding program and ran a truly unique and innovative offense at Northwestern Wyoming Culinary College, and we're super excited to have Jim on board."

Coach: "It's Joe"

I'm not convinced at all this is going to be a success.  Guy has retired 3 times for "health reasons" and you can recruit your way to victory at OSU and other big schools.  How long is it since he really had to out-coach someone every week to get a win?

Meyer is going to be an awful nfl coach
I think it’s a racquet for him. He’ll be there 2-3 years and as soon as a big time college program has an opening he’ll bail

Jeff McLane loves to lie a lot. He got caught twice this season alone with Lies during the season 

So basically everything we've thought already on Wentz 

yeah, that's what i meant, unless i misunderstood his post...

thought he was saying that the next coach that signs elsewhere would be talked about as the guy that the Eagles really wanted and we wouldn't get him.

This does feel a lot like the last time around with Doug.
Well if so, then you would have to be happy with another Super Bowl. As much as everyone wanted him gone, Doug did an amazing job in a town that fans give such a short lease. That’s not to say he shouldn’t have been fired, as from reports this outsider and lots of you locals have heard- Doug appeared to not care anymore. Time for him to go if that’s true, however who wouldn’t trade the last five years for a Super Bowl? I would think every team, except maybe the Pompous Patriots.

As far as a coaching search, I’m curious if the Lions job hasn’t got more in demand and moved in front of Philly with their GM hire. The new guy seems to be a draft guru.  

yeah, that's what i meant, unless i misunderstood his post...

thought he was saying that the next coach that signs elsewhere would be talked about as the guy that the Eagles really wanted and we wouldn't get him.

This does feel a lot like the last time around with Doug.
Yes that’s what I meant. We never get the guy we want and have to settle per the media but early on it always seems to work in our favor. 

Waiting a week after the season set up back. Regardless of 'ideal jobs' - we're a week behind these other teams that had been interviewing, talking to agents, etc...

Waiting a week after the season set up back. Regardless of 'ideal jobs' - we're a week behind these other teams that had been interviewing, talking to agents, etc...
Just in interviews and even that’s debatable given the fact we have ran through everyone once. If Lurie got the impression it wouldn’t work with Doug after the first meeting they surly discussed with agents after that. 

Lurie may have already been hsistiant on bringing Doug back and possible was already discussing with agents 

Users who are viewing this thread