What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (6 Viewers)

Yep and I welcome their views. You know what others insights have that yours dont? Context, detail and no poor jokes if you disagree with them. Why is that? Or is that it? Are you angry that I disagree with you? I disagree with people here and they disagree with me. It’s all good man.

You said he was sensitive and than changed it? Which is it? If he’s sensitive fine, show me or provide some detail. Is that too much to ask? You’ve also said he was babied, fragile physically and mentally and someone when you look at you see weakness. You also mentioned that maybe his faith was why he wasn’t doing well. 

You also said that Howie was forcing Doug to play players. I believe you said that someone told you that, correct? So I’ll ask again, why didn’t Doug simply say no? I believe this exchange also lead to another poor joke by you. 

The Rolen joke was one of the more idiotic things I’ve read from a fan presumably of this city so I called you on it. Maybe you are to young to remember how he was viewed or maybe you don’t follow baseball enough to know. Regardless it was another shot and one that made you look foolish and why? Because I asked you to explain how he’s now sensitive? Lol
Are you Djax’s alternative ego? 

What is this talk now about Wentz still possibly wanting out of Philly? Even after Doug was bounced. Jesus, what a delicate flower this guy has turned into.
Don't believe any of it as he hasn't said a word. Follow Rob Maddi the AP reporter who also is on 97.5 a local station here. He's very close friends with Wentz. They text constantly. Rob a few days before the Sirianni coaching news said Carson was gonna take a bit to decide. 

When Sirianni was hired I tweeted Rob if Carson had any personal influence on the decision not really expecting a response. Rob tweeted to me he had no input on the decision personally. From all indications of the staff being put together it sounds more like a staff built to fix Wentz then it has to do with Hurts. If they are keeping Hurts over Wentz with this staff we're in some serious trouble. 

How long have you followed the NFL or sports in general? In the time you’ve followed it, you’ve come across sensitive players right? Let’s use McNabb as an example. When Carson talks does he come off like McNabb did even a little bit? When you hear Aaron Rodgers yesterday, are you like “that’s the same #### Carson says!”  I’m genuinely asking at this point  

Maybe Carson is like Batman. Behind the scenes he’s just a completely different person than when the cameras are on. Ive followed sports for over 30 years and can probably name hundreds of players, if not more, who are or come off as sensitive and Carson has absolutely none of their attributes. I’ve never even seen an example of it after 5 years. I honestly can’t think of any player, off the top of my head, who is considered to be sensitive, mean, arrogant, etc and hasn’t showed it in any sport ever in all the years I’ve followed sports. 
I'll just say this. There are a ton of players who are completely different when cameras are on them compared to when they are off. One of those examples is Cam Newtown. Another good example is Allen Iverson. However I've yet to really see Wentz have any of those attributes. People seem to keep harping back to the article hit piece from the philly Voice nobody who clearly had it for Carson being a Foles guy. Now Carson did come out and say that yeah I need to do better and some of that article is true but he did come out and say "I need to be better." If he was as sensitive as people thought he would've completely denied the whole article, called it all BS etc. 

Id Marshawn Lynch our media every single time to be honest. That would go double if I knew I never said the #### they said I did. Sure he could come out and say this or that but chances are he already knows how they’d spin it anyway. 
I'd probably pull a Voracek honestly and call out most of them. A lot of these guys talk tough behind their phones and keyboards but wouldn't say a dam thing to a players face. A buddy of mine in the media said there was an incidence where a few yrs ago some media member was talking a big game to colleges and other reporters on some player but when it came time to interview said player the reporter was nothing but chicken sh**. 

Heck these clowns want something to write about? I'll give it to them. It'll be how chicken sh** they are about not going directly to the source they are talking bad about and making crap about. Nothing but hot takes from guys talking around the water cooler playing Monday Morning QBs and GMs. Our sports media sucks because they are so soft. They talk big behind the scenes but when it comes time to ask the tough questions they don't. Then you have media guys like that Joe guy and Jeff McLane who make up crap constantly. Seriously I think more players need to start following Jake Vorcek's lead and calling out these clowns. I'd love to see it and make for some good TV and debates. 

You don’t. You don’t know my connections and sources. I’m not going to name drop in here and explain every connection to a 3rd cousin of a cashier that’s a brother in law of a coach or a sideline pom pom holder for the cheerleading team. You do know it’s ok if someone else besides you brings a deeper level of insight to this thread, right?
The issue with you is people appreciate you brining something to the table. However you have a constant arrogance about it and want to make personal jokes about me constantly. When Deranged Hermit was here he didn't go around acting like his sh** didn't stink because he knew a guy. He gave the info he had. 

And speaking of sensitive you seem to get upset whenever any of us disagree with you or I put something out you don't disagree with. That's just ironic. I also didn't want to mention this as it might sound petty but at this point whatever. I found it VERY INTERESTING a day or 2 after I brought up the Josh to Philly stuff and stuff on Taylor and Wentz you curiously brought something else up from your source. I'm not saying I don't believe some of what you said as obvious some of it is true but I got a lot of good positive feedback by others here. However I'm suspecting a bit of jealously or something on your part here. Maybe I'm wrong but it was just suspicious how you brought it up quickly after the fact. 

Here's a tip don't come off so cocky, leave the personal jokes/attacks out of it, and if you disagree with something someone says kindly tell them you disagree with them. @Bigboy10182000 has heard similar stuff to connections he's had to me. He also mentioned recently how it's interesting different sources some have completely different things. Clearly you seem to have a personal vendetta against me for whatever reason. I'm not sure if you are just here trolling or what. Honestly Myself and I think others (Who are doing their best to stay out of this) would love to know why. I don't know how old you are but you are embarrassing yourself constantly with the petty personal attacks. Acting like my job is beneath you or something. I work a pretty essential job working 10-12 hr days sometimes putting myself at risk because of  people who don't follow the CDC guidelines, aren't wearing masks, rude, ignorant, etc. I come here to enjoy myself and could do without the personal attacks by some one online I've never met before. I deal with enough ignorance in my day with customers. I don't need to come on here and read it from you as well. 

Also my one source happens to be one of the coach's themselves. Another is a family member of a player who happens to live in my area.. My Other source is a reporter who works for on of the major networks (ESPN/NFL Network) won't name drop them but also lives in my area. I give my info out here. I put in details I believe people should need to know or would want to know. If people disagree with it then fine. If people don't want to believe it fine. I don't get my panties in a bunch over it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And when I said “I DO know” was referring to how Rolen was viewed. 

I am good friends with a few people down there and honestly i wouldn’t consider any of them a source or connection. They hear things and at times pass them along when we’re all together. They have educated guesses on most things and feeling on others. On a few things they’re certain and that’s due to where they work. 
Speaking of Rolen and knowing people. One of the members of the old Phillies board was Rolen's personal trainer. Want to know how cheap the Phillies were back then? When Rolen won Rookie of the Year and he was presented with the award the next season at the Vet the Phillies made Rolen pay for his family to fly here, tickets to the game and hotel room for the days they were here. That was on his rookie/minor league salary. They did the same to him when he made his major league debut. Usually when stuff like this happens for young players the organizations makes the arrangements and everything including cost. The team made Rolen do all of that himself. When Rolen finally left those two things left such a bad taste in his mouth that he was never gonna take a discount to stay here. Both he and Schilling were vilified for what they did but honestly both leaving and calling out the Phillies for being as cheap as they are finally helped lead to huge changes in the organization overall. 

So I talked to my ESPN/Nfl Network guy today: 

Duce Staley: There's definitely smoke in the whole not on board the Carson Bandwagon. Like I stated from him before Hurts has a ton of detractors in the org still. If people had way more faith in Hurts Wentz probably would've been good as gone already. From what people are insinuating it sounds like Hurts was another one of Howie trying to mend fences with Doug move but some also said it may have been the FO/Coaching staff trying to be the smartest people in the room again. However none of them clearly were reading the room right and didn't think of the implications this would have on Wentz

Duce was also not a fan of Doug's coaching style nor allowing players and coaches get away with running wild on him. I mentioned a few weeks ago about Schwartz being caught in his office asleep or not doing anything. Well Duce caught Jim a few times and asked him what was going on. No details on the convo but he brought it to Doug's attention and he kind of blew Duce off. Duce as a coach players like but Lurie's issue was his intensity had a tendency to rub players the wrong way and he didn't want to have a HC who didn't know how to lower that when needed. Duce's staff was less then impressive from what he had been told.  

Coaching decision: I asked who were the final candidates in terms of HC as I had read or heard a couple of difference names but it seemed like Josh McDaniels was the front runner clearly. He basically said from people he talked too it was down to Sirianni and McDaniels. McDaniels was not Lurie's top guy (not sure who his top guy was but my guess it Dabol of Buff) and he had his issues with Josh but with the coaches winding down Josh was gonna be their take it or leave it guy. Doug wanted to get the other interviews they had scheduled done as a courtesy to the other candidates as well

Nick Sirianni: As we know Nick was on Vaca when he got the call for an interview team tried to make him as comfortable as possible even casually dressed as Nick was since he didn't pack a suit on vaca. Nick Blew the interview out of the water from what my guy was told. Lurie and Roseman along with Don Smolinski were blown away for a guy who had no idea he was getting interviewed that week how prepared he was. The coaches he wanted on staff was impressive and like an earlier posted article suggested Gannon was Lurie's #1 for DC job. So that really helped Nick. Lurie really loved how Nick dealt with having players injured still making them feel apart of the team and connecting to them. They really liked his coaching style and how he can act like the cool dad/older brother but then act like the tough Dad "we need to have that talk now" type and how he relates to players. One of the big things Lurie liked was how Sirianni was a huge part in Phillip Rivers becoming comeback player of the year and his work with the Colts QBs. 

Overall Nick Sirianni was a guy they wanted to interview at some point and it wasn't a move out of LF. I was told like every Eagles coaching search every rock was turned and looked over twice maybe 3 times for the right guy. However they were just really impressed overall and surprised how prepared this guy was for a last minute interview given he was on Vacation. He's an incredible humble guy and he's super competitive too especially amongst his brothers. Nick out of the whole family coaching tree is the only one to reach this level of coaching in their career. He pays close attention to detail and Indy players loved him. Lurie is super happy with the decision as HE DID NOT WANT MCDANIELS after his interview despite others wanting him and was hoping someone else would come that changed everyone else's opinions. 

EDIT: I apologize for the almost 1AM EST update on this. I was working 11 hrs today. Looked at my emails briefly and saw that he emailed me back a little after 6 tonight. 

Chargers fans “relieved” that Shane Steichen left to join the Eagles

So this dude was basically the Press Taylor of the Chargers. Head coach got fired and many were glad that meant he was gone, too. Nice! 
Interesting read and time will tell for sure. I didn’t follow the Chargers at all but the line about Herbert succeeding in spite of the coaching or scheme is laughable. I get it, the guy fizzled in their eyes and calls a dry or boring game. That’s all good and I hope with Sirianni he improves but he along with the QB coach 100% get credit for how Herbert performed. To minimize the guy who is calling the plays and coaching a rookie QB to having no involvement in his success is a joke. 

Herbert was 11th overall this year as far as QBR goes. So he did something right. How closely are the 5 fans watching them in LA anyway?
I'm one of those 5 fans. Watched all the games. The offensive playcalling was puzzling at times, laughably bad at times. I'm indifferent about Steichen leaving. I think Herbert's success was mostly due to Herbert. I suppose Steichen could have curtailed him in some way and made things worse, I'll give him credit for not doing that. I'll also give Steichen credit for eventually making adjustments due to the Chargers miserable offensive line getting progressively worse over the course of the season. He eventually realized the Chargers were giving up serious pressure as soon as the ball was snapped, regardless of who they were playing against, and had to reduce the number of plays that require more than 3 seconds to develop. Of course that happened a bit too late in the season to get them to a winning record.

I wouldn't expect great things from Steichen.

This fact seems to have gotten lost in all the other things going on lately, but it was reported that Duce was offered and turned down the OC position in 2018 after Reich left. The reason was because it didn't come with play-calling responsibility. 

When Frank Reich left to take the Indianapolis Colts’ head-coaching job following the Eagles’ Super Bowl championship in 2017, Staley was offered the offensive coordinator’s job, but turned it down because it didn’t come with play-calling responsibilities.

Pederson promoted his wide receivers coach, Mike Groh, instead, and Staley was given the added title of assistant head coach to go with running backs coach, though that title was largely ceremonial.

This fact seems to have gotten lost in all the other things going on lately, but it was reported that Duce was offered and turned down the OC position in 2018 after Reich left. The reason was because it didn't come with play-calling responsibility. 
Most head coaches now, especially offensive ones, call their own plays. So that's cool he wanted to hold out for that but Doug was calling plays when Reich was here and called them after he left. Doug wasn't going to give that up because he was an OC that didn't get to call plays either. 

Most head coaches now, especially offensive ones, call their own plays. So that's cool he wanted to hold out for that but Doug was calling plays when Reich was here and called them after he left. Doug wasn't going to give that up because he was an OC that didn't get to call plays either. 
I can see both sides:

• Take it and get that OC title to help career progress (Reich didn't call plays and got a HC job from doing it)
  • Decline it because it's no-win situation (do good and Doug gets credit as play caller; do bad and get the heat for plays you gave Doug to call.)

Not sure if that makes him look better or worse. Duce doesn’t know offense and you won’t see anyone ever mention that he’s good at it or scheming. He’s a “players coach” which in his case is code for “I don’t really know either side of the ball but people like me.”  This is why he wasn’t the pass or run game coordinator either. 

Allegedly he had a “few offers” but took the same position he had here in Detroit. I’m thinking he had no chances to call plays at this level and probably even college. 

Domowich was the only one who mentioned this and Les Bowen who is also at the Inquire with him said this was all news to him as well. Maybe it’s true but I’m not really sure how to take it 

The bolded is why I'm not overly concerned about Steichen's play calling in SD. For all we know, Sirianni is going to be the one calling the plays here anyway.

The bolded is why I'm not overly concerned about Steichen's play calling in SD. For all we know, Sirianni is going to be the one calling the plays here anyway.
They will work together on the plans and will most likely call the same stuff so it won't matter much imo.

If hes comfortable with the oc thats the most important thing

I think Carson needs to pull a Aaron Rodgers and do this 

Aaron Rodgers on going on the@PatMcAfeeShow

every week: "It's allowed me to silence all the douchebags who were talking for me, & making themselves more relevant by using my name, or running w/ stories that weren't fact. This was a natural, authentic way to have a conversation."

Pretty good piece by Tim McManus on Wentz. Pedersen gave him more latitude to change plays than I realized and then took it away so I can see how Wentz would be frustrated.  Also some insight from Greg Cosell on mechanics issues. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-eagles/post/_/id/31059/can-eagles-coach-nick-sirianni-fix-carson-wentz
These are the same articles over and over and over at this point. 

Eagles offense has been boring, predictable, dull, and inefficient as hell since the beginning of 2018 and the QB of the team got absolutely tired of it. 

Think Carson Wentz just wants to win and knew the situation (with Pederson) wasn’t gonna do that. I’ve seen Wentz mask up a bad scheme more than I saw Pederson have some masterful gameplay since 2017.

There aren’t enough stories written about how Doug Pederson got incredibly full of himself after the Super Bowl and that if it wasn’t for a miserable division he’d have been fired a year ago. There’s a reason he didn’t get a single call to be a coach this season. He was THAT BAD.  

These are the same articles over and over and over at this point. 

Eagles offense has been boring, predictable, dull, and inefficient as hell since the beginning of 2018 and the QB of the team got absolutely tired of it. 

Think Carson Wentz just wants to win and knew the situation (with Pederson) wasn’t gonna do that. I’ve seen Wentz mask up a bad scheme more than I saw Pederson have some masterful gameplay since 2017.

There aren’t enough stories written about how Doug Pederson got incredibly full of himself after the Super Bowl and that if it wasn’t for a miserable division he’d have been fired a year ago. There’s a reason he didn’t get a single call to be a coach this season. He was THAT BAD.  
Sounds like Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy but the difference is I'd still take Doug over McCarthy gun to my head. McCarthy is that bad. 

Doug will never be a HC in the league as long as McCarthy. He’ll be fortunate to ever get another HC job again. 
Trust me McCarthy is bad. if it wasn't for Rodgers saving his ### and getting him a SB he wouldn't be a HC in the NFL. McCarthy rides off this stigma that he's some great coach. I'm not trying to prop Doug up like some God of a coach but if I had to choose between either guy for a few yrs I'd take Doug. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash
Trust me McCarthy is bad. if it wasn't for Rodgers saving his ### and getting him a SB he wouldn't be a HC in the NFL. McCarthy rides off this stigma that he's some great coach. I'm not trying to prop Doug up like some God of a coach but if I had to choose between either guy for a few yrs I'd take Doug. 
Doug’s season last year was the worst in franchise history. As bad as McCarthy has been he’s been nowhere close to that even in seasons when Rodgers missed time or when Dak did as well. 

There wasn’t a single thing Doug wasn’t bad at last year. Every single thing was terrible. From scheme, to starters, to in game management to handling the locker room and coaches. He will be responsible for one of the worst seasons of coaching you will ever see. 

Per RapSheet:

The Eagles are hiring University of Florida OC Brian Johnson as their new QB coach, source said. The former Utah QB has impressed in the college ranks, including at Mississippi State where he served as Dak Prescott’s QB coach.

Brian Johnson was Florida's first Black OC. As a player, backed up Alex Smith for a year at Utah before becoming the starter.

Looks like he’s 33. Very young staff we have 

Per RapSheet:

The Eagles are hiring University of Florida OC Brian Johnson as their new QB coach, source said. The former Utah QB has impressed in the college ranks, including at Mississippi State where he served as Dak Prescott’s QB coach.

Brian Johnson was Florida's first Black OC. As a player, backed up Alex Smith for a year at Utah before becoming the starter.

Kyle Pitts now enters the picture potentially?

Eagles add Jason Michael as their TE coach. Jason worked with Nick Sirianni in Indy past 2 seasons.

He has coached Antonio Gates, Delanie Walker, and Eric Ebron. Also has experience as OC and QB coach.

Eagles New coaching staff: 
(Will keep updated)

HC: Nick Sirianni
OC: Shane Steichen 
Pass Game: Kevin Patullo
DC: Jonathan Gannon
ST:
QB: Brian Johnson
RB:
WR:
TE:  Jason Michael
OL: Jeff Stoutland
DL: Tracy Rocker
LB:
DB:

New Eagles QB coach Brian Johnson talking about fundamentals and requirements for toughness for his (Florida) QBs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4G6Cx-eusc

“We don’t baby him and pacify him.  We coach him like a middle linebacker”

:popcorn:
Just what Carson allegedly needs. Just another DeFillipo that Carson miraculously survived. 

All kidding aside, seeing what he did with Trask is good stuff. Much of this staff is young but has connections to a lot of quality players. Hoping they can raise the game of the young guys here. 

Just what Carson allegedly needs. Just another DeFillipo that Carson miraculously survived. 

All kidding aside, seeing what he did with Trask is good stuff. Much of this staff is young but has connections to a lot of quality players. Hoping they can raise the game of the young guys here. 
Going to be a very hungry staff which will hopefully reinvigorate the locker room that got really stagnant after winning the Super Bowl. I think the victory tour finally ended this year. 

Per RapSheet:

He was also on NCAA Football Cover when at UTAH. He's really good. A lot of people at Florida are upset he's gone. He turned Trask into a potential 1st rounder and Heisman runner up. Probably wins if Smith and Jones weren't around this year would've been between him and T-Law. He also turned Felipe Franks who had some attitude issues into a serviceable QB. I'm still working on my Florida guys because overall I do not know the inner workings of the UF coaching staff. I heard he had a lot of input and called plays as Florida with Mullen but I'm not sure if he was he main guy exclusively or how much was based on Coach Mullen's plans for the QBs. Also not really sure his coaching style in terms of if he's a hard ### more so then not. I missed a lot of UF games this year do to work but what I did see he and Trask had a very solid relationship. 

Johnson also played QB in HS for Jalen Hurts dad and knows Hurts since he was 4. Recruited Jalen when at Miss St but Hurts chose Bama. This doesn't mean the Eagles are gonna trade Wentz though. Just gives the Eagles another dude in the room familiar with the QBs there. 

Going to be a very hungry staff which will hopefully reinvigorate the locker room that got really stagnant after winning the Super Bowl. I think the victory tour finally ended this year. 
This is gonna be a wake up call to a lot of players. If not they are gonna be looking for new teams the following season or getting traded 

Doug’s season last year was the worst in franchise history. As bad as McCarthy has been he’s been nowhere close to that even in seasons when Rodgers missed time or when Dak did as well. 

There wasn’t a single thing Doug wasn’t bad at last year. Every single thing was terrible. From scheme, to starters, to in game management to handling the locker room and coaches. He will be responsible for one of the worst seasons of coaching you will ever see. 
The worst? Kyatt in 72 only had 2 wins. Ray Rhoades last season here was embarrassingly bad. Skorick in a 2 year span 5-20-3 record. Trust me we've had much worse seasons than this. Rodgers because of McCarthy's play calling went absolutely rogue on him. The final 2-3 seasons the two barely talked not even to greet each other. This year you had Dal players coming out saying how unprepared the coaching staff was in Dal. The difference in both GB and Dal to us this year is they didn't lose as many key players as we did this year. We were down to practice squad and rookies at times this year. Give McCarthy this roster this year and he doesn't even win the NO game and finds someway to lose it. He's been bailed out numerous times over the years by good players on the roster and great QB play. 

Agreed. Move on from certain vets and it’s time to create a new culture. 

Former Andy Reid assistant and Ravens Assistiant HC David Culley looks like he'll be hired as the new Texans coach. Good luck Culley you are gonna need a ton of it 

Agreed. Move on from certain vets and it’s time to create a new culture. 
And so it begins: Zach Ertz will not play for Eagles in 2021

Players still left: Seumalo, Kelce, Brooks, Lane, Ertz, Jeffery, Sudfeld, Clement, Graham, Cox, Barnett, Gerry, Mills, McLeod, Elliot, Lovato

Coaches: Stoutland, Vasso, Hauck (assistant DB coaches), Harper (assistant special teams)

Gotta assume those other 3 coaches are gone soon, though.

Users who are viewing this thread