What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (7 Viewers)

If you put stock in QBR, Goff's this past year was 58.5. Stafford was 68.5.  So better -   of course Stafford only had higher QBR then 58.5 once his first 7 years in the league. Stafford's been consistently higher his past few years though (although 51,3 in 2018).

Dunno, seems really like a win now move and great cost. Not a fan, unless they see something about Goff behind the scenes.

QB wins is a completely useless stat. 

Goff can't read defenses and is brutally awful under pressure. McVay read the defenses for him. 
I’m not gonna pretend I’ve watched him but thought he played well with a broken thumb. They obviously see something bad that we don’t to eat that money and deal those picks. 

:shrug:

Good QB's make their team competitive.

No question though Stafford is an upgrade. Just seems like a LOT. We'll see if he's that much of an upgrade.
I agree and I think Stafford has done more than enough to do that. I don't watch or pay attention to the Lions enough but I know that dude has done his share for yrs to help the team win. The dude played with broken ribs, a bad wrist and other injuries the last 4 or so weeks for a team going nowhere this past season. I definitely think this is a win now move for The Rams. 

I’m not gonna pretend I’ve watched him but thought he played well with a broken thumb. They obviously see something bad that we don’t to eat that money and deal those picks. 
He was pretty bad under pressure his whole career so far. I believe the MVP year in 17 that Wentz was having before the ACL his QBR against the blitz was top 5 and 3rd and long with a blitz was equally as good. I don't remember Goff having any good numbers against the blitz in his career. There's more to this for sure that we don't know but I was never a Goff fan dating back to college either. 

Teams that were interested in Matthew Stafford, per @peter_king Panthers, Broncos, Colts and 49ers. Washington also made a strong offer, according to @JosinaAnderson. But the #Rams ultimately got him.

2 1st round picks for Stafford?!?!?????

This had to be more about getting out deom under Goff’s contract than valuing Stafford that high, right? I read if they got rid of Goff this year, would’ve cost them $65M+.

Wonder what the cap hit on dead money will be after the trade?

This had to be more about getting out deom under Goff’s contract than valuing Stafford that high, right? I read if they got rid of Goff this year, would’ve cost them $65M+.

Some have said, and I agree, that the deal should be looked at as a 1st and 3rd for Stafford and an additional 1st to take Goff's contract. 

Goff trade, pre-June 1:

2021 dead cap: $22.2 million
2021 cap savings: $12.425 million

Pretty sure I’d rather keep Wentz now...unless we could get Watson which is never happening because of this Stafford deal anyways.
Could you imagine waking up and seeing that we made that deal to get rid of Wentz? What would the reaction be here?

This is why you fix the guy (or try) who showed top 10 potential. Getting out from under that deal is so hard to do. 

Wish we could make a trade like that.....
i worry we my be on the other end of it. I wonder ho teams felt held more value, Goff or Wentz? i would have said Wentz in a heartbeat for ever, but the games in the media he has played and his performance on the field this year make me think tht Goff may be more valuable.

i worry we can't get rid of Wentz for ny value and go into the season with him next year. Will be a huge waste of an entire year. and will tank his value even more then it is now if he shows he can't make significant improvement since last year. Bringing in a top WR from the draft i fear will not fix aything since Wentz does not throw to WRs often and will likely be just a wasted year

i worry we my be on the other end of it. I wonder ho teams felt held more value, Goff or Wentz? i would have said Wentz in a heartbeat for ever, but the games in the media he has played and his performance on the field this year make me think tht Goff may be more valuable.

i worry we can't get rid of Wentz for ny value and go into the season with him next year. Will be a huge waste of an entire year. and will tank his value even more then it is now if he shows he can't make significant improvement since last year. Bringing in a top WR from the draft i fear will not fix aything since Wentz does not throw to WRs often and will likely be just a wasted year
No one wants wentz so yeah.

I would look to trade some of our older players who still have some value and get  picks and out from their contract.    Someone like fletcher cox.  

From what I recall you can cut Went next year without it being nearly as bad as this year. 

Looking at that deal, Goff was essentially worthless. They paid the Lions a ton just to get rid of him. 

He was pretty bad under pressure his whole career so far. I believe the MVP year in 17 that Wentz was having before the ACL his QBR against the blitz was top 5 and 3rd and long with a blitz was equally as good. I don't remember Goff having any good numbers against the blitz in his career. There's more to this for sure that we don't know but I was never a Goff fan dating back to college either. 
Haven’t gone out of my way to watch a lot, but Goff always struck me as a guy who as capable of executing well when the system created throws for him but struggled to make plays outside that and wasn’t good under pressure.  I think he’s competent but average.

I think Stafford is better, and better at making throws under pressure.

Interesting team building strategy from the Rams.  They have $100m or so tied up in six players (Donald, Ramsey, Stafford, Kupp, Woods, Whitworth) and no first round picks from 2017 until 2024.

What happens in the next 2 years will be fascinating.

Haven’t gone out of my way to watch a lot, but Goff always struck me as a guy who as capable of executing well when the system created throws for him but struggled to make plays outside that and wasn’t good under pressure.  I think he’s competent but average.

Interesting team building strategy from the Rams.  They have $100m or so tied up in six players (Donald, Ramsey, Stafford, Kupp, Woods, Whitworth) and no first round picks from 2017 until 2024.

They better hope all those guys stay healthy cause their depth sucks.   I think its a dumb move for them and they will be at the bottom of the nfc in a couple years.

It will be a challenge for sure but Snead is a pretty good talent evaluator. It’s a team with SB level talent who desperately needed merely above average play from their QB. They beat the Pats with it a couple years ago. 

They're goal seems to be win a Super bowl in the next 2 years and then suffer a decade of mediocrity living off that SB title. Reality will probably be 9-12 wins next 2 years, maybe get to conference championship and then nose dive into 2010's Brooklyn Nets territory.

So this is interesting...  Because we get NO cap savings if I recall by trading Wentz. How did we give him such a f'd up expensive contract?
Because it would have been a hugely favorable contract if he was playing the way he had been. It would have saved so much cap space to afford key players in 22, 23, 24. Obviously Carson completely sucking was not in the plans. 

Obviously the media is incendiary by nature, and this certainly fits. But it’s difficult to disagree with most if not all of this

Sirianni is a puppet?
I'll be honest. I made it about 3 paragraphs in before bailing. Between the dozen banner ads, the twitter screenshot filler and Hayes's nonsense 2 sentence per paragraph insults, I was waiting for some meat but all we got was a "Unnamed NFL exec texted me 'seriously?'". 

It's why I barely read their garbage.

Obviously the media is incendiary by nature, and this certainly fits. But it’s difficult to disagree with most if not all of this

Sirianni is a puppet?
Yea, he's not a puppet. He probably will let Howie have more (all) control over personnel, but thats not being a puppet. The press conference was bad, he looked over his head, but again, we will forget all of that soon enough. Let's see what happens when the games begin.

I'll be honest. I made it about 3 paragraphs in before bailing. Between the dozen banner ads, the twitter screenshot filler and Hayes's nonsense 2 sentence per paragraph insults, I was waiting for some meat but all we got was a "Unnamed NFL exec texted me 'seriously?'". 

So you didn’t read the context. Not surprised you skimmed to avoid reality. How about you read it and tell me where he’s wrong?

Yea, he's not a puppet. He probably will let Howie have more (all) control over personnel, but thats not being a puppet. The press conference was bad, he looked over his head, but again, we will forget all of that soon enough. Let's see what happens when the games begin.
Does Sirianni have say over who is active/inactive on game day? 

Marcus Hayes is the person who said earlier this offseason they needed to give Howie Roseman more power.  There are plenty of opinions, but I find his stuff worse then Jeff McLane.

Does Sirianni have say over who is active/inactive on game day? 
How on earth would I know? Did Pederson? Probably though?

Who is active on game day seems like a pretty minor decision tbh. Probably not hard to pick the 6 you need inactive. I would be very surprised if Howie or Lurie weigh in, they very likely dont care. It'll be a 3rd TE and 5th CB and 3rd QB and on and on.

There's just so much we literally don't know behind the scenes. Who made the call to draft who they did. Was it Howie? Was it collaborative? Did Lurie get involved? What did the scouts say? The coaches? We've heard every which angle coming out, no one knows what to believe.

There's just so much we literally don't know behind the scenes. Who made the call to draft who they did. Was it Howie? Was it collaborative? Did Lurie get involved? What did the scouts say? The coaches? We've heard every which angle coming out, no one knows what to believe.
You need a connection that clarifies all of this for you 

You need a connection that clarifies all of this for you 
Well, none of them are texting me!

Although I DID interview for a programmer job at NovaCare back in the Chip Kelly days!  Funny, they actually asked me if I liked and played fantasy football. Woulda been a dream job.  But never got a call back, probably because I was a manager at the time and making a lot more then they were paying.

Came with season tickets too :(  I woulda taken a pay cut for a few years just for the experience tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you imagine waking up and seeing that we made that deal to get rid of Wentz? What would the reaction be here?

This is why you fix the guy (or try) who showed top 10 potential. Getting out from under that deal is so hard to do. 
Dude all the clowns who want Wentz gone would want to Hang Roseman Micheal Kist for some odd reason on Twitter is going crazy the last day or so since the trade. Comparing the Rams and Eagles to the same situation among other things. I don't know if the dude is trolling or what but he's also blocking anyone on twitter who disagrees with him. He's acting really immature and like some 8 yrs old who didn't get his way when Mom said he couldn't have a certain toy. 

This is exactly what people don't get about when you trade a guy like Wentz right now. We aren't gonna get any value back plus we'd be on the hook for the dead money. Simple not worth it. This isn't Madden when you can cheat and edit contracts and other things to make it work 

From what I recall you can cut Went next year without it being nearly as bad as this year. 

Looking at that deal, Goff was essentially worthless. They paid the Lions a ton just to get rid of him. 
Yeah looks like more and more it was another Brock Oweiler type trade then anything Only difference is LA got a better QB in the trade 

Yep I was never a Goff fan. Seeing him in college I was always impressed more with Wentz just because he was doing things that guys at Goff's level weren't doing. Never got the hype over Goff and always saw him as another QB where you had to scheme the system for him. I also wonder if Sean McVay is losing his magic. Seemed great the first few yrs but maybe teams are figuring him out and he's also got that Smartest guy in the room too him aroma now. It's gonna be interesting TV for sure though. 

This is exactly what people don't get about when you trade a guy like Wentz right now. We aren't gonna get any value back plus we'd be on the hook for the dead money.

Exactly, with his play last year, all the rumours about his coachability I just don't think we'd get a great return.  Might as well just hang on for another year and hope 2020 was an aberration and that he's had a wake up call and makes progress with the new staff.

And when you decide to take the next QB, do it like an assassin.  *Nobody* expected the Chiefs to be the ones trading up to get Mahomes when they did.

They found a guy they liked and went and got him, even though they were already OK (but not great) at the position.

Users who are viewing this thread