What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (5 Viewers)

Jimmy Kempski

@JimmyKempski

Howie Roseman twice mentions Tyree Jackson's potential emergence as a legitimate TE as a reason the Eagles felt comfortable dealing Ertz.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Week 8 or 9. Should be interesting...

Per @PFF, Gowan allowed just a 26.2 passer rating in single coverage since 2019, the second lowest in college football.

2021 NFL Draft Scouting Report - Tay Gowan (the-jet-sweep.com)

Strengths

Whilst we didn’t get to see him in 2020, Gowan’s numbers in 2019 were elite. He allowed a 40 per cent completion rate on his 50 targets, giving up just 274 yards. His 0.69 yards allowed per coverage snap was comparable to the likes of Caleb Farley and Patrick Surtain. Gowan also displayed his ballhawking potential, with nine forced incompletions. He allowed just 13 first downs and gave up a passer rating of just 54.9.

Gowan possesses the ideal combination of length and athleticism to be a success in the NFL. He aligned almost exclusively as a boundary corner for UCF in 2019, with plenty of experience in press coverage. Gowan has the length to cause problems at the line and does a great job of disrupting receivers’ routes. This was evident when he shut down Stanford’s Simi Fehoko in 2019, not allowing a single reception on his three targets.

Gowan also offers elite quickness and long speed. He is a tremendous athlete, who should run a sub 4.4 40-yard dash at UCF’s Pro Day in April. He won’t get beaten deep and he has more than enough juice to hold up against quicker receivers. His change of direction ability is excellent and he possesses some of the best closing burst in the 2021 class.

One of the things I really like about Gowan is his scheme versatility. He offers the length and quickness to play comfortably in man coverage. UCF often used him in this role in 2019 to great success and Gowan is capable of working on an island. He also projects as an excellent zone corner. Gowan possesses some of the best instincts you will see from a defensive back in this class and this allowed to make some great plays on the ball last season. His fluid hips and smooth movement skills also give him the ability to play both press and off coverage to a high level.

Weaknesses

The biggest concern with Gowan is his limited sample size. His tape was elite in 2019, but we haven’t seen much of him. Gowan was a JUCO transfer ahead of the 2019 season and opted out of the 2020 season over concerns for his new-born daughter’s health. In total, he has played just 429 coverage snaps of FBS football. As a redshirt senior he is also an older prospect, and will be 23 in his rookie season.

The other question mark will be his frame. When we last saw Gowan play, he was 6’2″ and 185 lbs. Whilst he played above his weight in college, teams may have concerns about how he will hold up against bigger and more physical receivers in the NFL. If he is going translate his success as a sticky man corner to the next level he will have to add some more weight to his frame.

Bottom Line

Gowan is easily one of the more underrated prospects in this class. Whilst his sample size is limited, his tools and production are rare. He offers legitimate speed and possesses some of the best instincts in the 2021 cornerback class. With the versatility to play well in a man or zone-heavy scheme, Gowan is one of the better defensive backs in this year’s class.

A year before opting out, Gowan had two interceptions during a junior season at UCF that put him on the radar of NFL scouts. Gowan said he met with all 32 teams during the draft process and all 32 asked why he opted out.

"I think they just used it against me," he said.

In the week before the draft, ESPN's Todd McShay predicted Gowan would go No. 96 overall in his three-round mock draft with Mel Kiper Jr. Gowan, with good size (6-foot-1, 186 pounds) and respectable speed (4.47 40-yard dash at the UCF pro day) lasted until pick No. 223.

"It hurt my draft stock, but I think it was also a part of my journey and a part of my story when I get to tell it to other kids and relay my message and relay my journey," Gowan said. "It'll make kids feel more comfortable taking the type of route I went."

The Cardinals, Gowan said, believed in his decision to protect his daughter and family. Cardinals general manager Steve Keim also saw a second-day talent on the board late in the third day.

"That's why I think he was there where he was because guys like that can potentially slip through the cracks, and then they don't play this past year, you have to go back to the '19 tape," Keim said.
https://africa.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/135293/cardinals-rookie-tay-gowan-motivated-by-covid-19-draft-drop

Last edited by a moderator:
$5MM cap savings, on top of the 5th rounder (which could be a high 5th based on AZ so far) and a young player to develop at a position of need makes this a no brainer for someone that was going to walk at the end of the year. 

The heroes from SB52 are all starting to fade away like that picture of Marty McFly's family. 

$5MM cap savings, on top of the 5th rounder (which could be a high 5th based on AZ so far) and a young player to develop at a position of need makes this a no brainer for someone that was going to walk at the end of the year. 

The heroes from SB52 are all starting to fade away like that picture of Marty McFly's family. 
Then someone needs to throat punch Biff. NOW

The Noid said:

It’s a win-win. I’m happy for Ertz. It would suck watching his last few years stuck on a rebuilding team. 

2022 draft picks: 

1st round - 3 (PHI, MIA, IND) 
2nd round - 1 
3rd round - 1 
4th round - 1
5th round - 3 (PHI, WFT, ARI) 
6th round - 1 
7th round - 0

10 total picks and plenty of cap space to load the roster up  
I say build it like Cleveland. Keep accumulating talent on defense before getting the QB. Use Hurts as the stop gap until then. 

I say build it like Cleveland. Keep accumulating talent on defense before getting the QB. Use Hurts as the stop gap until then. 
Im usually a “go get the QB first and other things later” guy but I’m on board with this now.  Snag another QB in the 2nd if you want but the first 3 need to be starting from day 1. 

And I know it’s poor timing because we are in kill Gannon mode but this is pretty good and should reflect positively on him. In a Swartz scheme one of these guys is giving up a 10-150-2 game. 

“Darius Slay, Steve Nelson, and Avonte Maddox against the Buccaneers receivers (per @PFF).

Slay -- 7 targets, 5 catches, 45 yards
Nelson -- 6 targets, 4 catches, 38 yards
Maddox -- 4 targets, 4 catches, 10 yards

No TD allowed.”

I believe if the DL plays better we would have been in that game. That’s a unit that can’t afford to not show up and have us remain competitive 

And I know it’s poor timing because we are in kill Gannon mode but this is pretty good and should reflect positively on him. In a Swartz scheme one of these guys is giving up a 10-150-2 game. 

“Darius Slay, Steve Nelson, and Avonte Maddox against the Buccaneers receivers (per @PFF).

No TD allowed.”

I believe if the DL plays better we would have been in that game. That’s a unit that can’t afford to not show up and have us remain competitive 
playing devil's advocate here, Brady was playing with an injured finger, which pretty clearly messed with his accuracy. it wasn't like our d line was putting much pressure on him, so our secondary played well but the stat line may be a bit skewed.

babydemon90 said:
I mean - we all knew the defensive talent was bad. We doubled down on older vets too long, so this is the painful rebuild.

Kind of why I dont want them to use all these high picks next year to trade for a QB.  We need young good players, and assume we'll miss on at least one of them.  Get the best LB we can, has to be a priority.  Get a great young safety. Get a CB. We need to replenish this team - and yea, we're gonna suck probably next year too.  Is what it is. If we are 100% that Hurts can't be the starter, then go get a half-decent vet. Or MAYBE use one of the firsts on a QB, but under no circumstances use them all.
I get this. If it turns out there simply isn't a QB worth grabbing, then sure...do it this way. If Hurts fails to improve, Minshew is a reasonable option for a year.

Im usually a “go get the QB first and other things later” guy but I’m on board with this now.  Snag another QB in the 2nd if you want but the first 3 need to be starting from day 1. 
If someone good is there with one of those 1s, I say grab him. DON'T use multiple picks to move up for one though

This is where I'm at.  If the most valuable asset in the NFL is a good QB on a rookie deal, there is no sense wasting years on the rookie contract building a roster around him.  I'd rather have a base of talent and then add the QB.  Especially since there does not appear to be anything close to a Luck or Lawrence type talent this year.

need2know said:
hopefully we start trading off all the vets.......

It'd be nice but I also don't want to undervalue trades. I think Cox should at the very least net us a 3rd rounder but his contract might be iffy. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing what we could get for Barnett. I wouldn't trade Kelce because I think he might retire this year just based on the contract he signed unless he's going Full Brady in terms of deal 1 yr at a time. 

No TD allowed.”

Also speaking of last night Devonta Smith was destroying the TB DBs. Why didn't they target him more after Sherman went out despite every play he was toasting Sherman? 

He was 34 of 42 which is 81% 🤷‍♂️

He threw many short passes and WR screens after midway in the 2nd. Something tells me if he had a better finger or whatever the 4th down play he doesn't over throw the WR. This game last night shouldn't have been close and TB didn't go for the jugular. Now a lot of Eagles fans today have false hope and the media will run with it

This is where I'm at.  If the most valuable asset in the NFL is a good QB on a rookie deal, there is no sense wasting years on the rookie contract building a roster around him.  I'd rather have a base of talent and then add the QB.  Especially since there does not appear to be anything close to a Luck or Lawrence type talent this year.

Gonna play devils advocate with this article from about a few weeks ago about the rookie QB deal myth

Riding the Rookie deal QB to win in the NFL? Studies show why that might be a myth

Gonna play devils advocate with this article from about a few weeks ago about the rookie QB deal myth

Riding the Rookie deal QB to win in the NFL? Studies show why that might be a myth
I don’t disagree with the point of the article which is that you need a good QB not just an inexpensive one. But even a good QB needs talent around him. If the Eagles traded for Herbert tomorrow they still aren’t a Super Bowl team. If they draft a Herbert in 2 years after a lot of high picks, hopefully they have a better chance to maximize his window. 

Chargers better go all freaking in because they got a stud that will command close to mahomes money soon enough. And the Cardinals.

It goes beyond that and they have to have had hit on existing contracts and Good deals, but yeah, go all in if you have a stud qb lol

The problem is any decent analysis of 'which type of teams win the Super Bowl', and 'how do super bowl team pay their QB' - the evidence overwhelming points to 'Have Tom Brady'.  If you want any decent analysis you have to expand really to playoff teams, or perhaps at least team that made the conference championship.

Although the real takeaway here, imo - don't pay top 5 money to just 'ok' QB's. If you can get a top 15 QB on a top 15 salary?  Great.  But the contracts Goff and Wentz got when they were just average was the mistake. Every other position has a better salary scale..you get get average starters for average money.  At QB - you gotta be wiling to walk away.

At QB - you gotta be wiling to walk away.
No one foresaw Wentz' decline, though. Goff, yeah, he was always awful under pressure and McVay told him where to throw the ball on every play. 

If you try to have it both ways you end up with the WFT-Cousins disaster. They didn't want to commit to him long-term, but they didn't want to start over at QB, so they franchised him twice and paid him top-5 money for two years when he was nowhere near a top-5 QB. 

The problem is any decent analysis of 'which type of teams win the Super Bowl', and 'how do super bowl team pay their QB' - the evidence overwhelming points to 'Have Tom Brady'.  If you want any decent analysis you have to expand really to playoff teams, or perhaps at least team that made the conference championship.

Although the real takeaway here, imo - don't pay top 5 money to just 'ok' QB's. If you can get a top 15 QB on a top 15 salary?  Great.  But the contracts Goff and Wentz got when they were just average was the mistake. Every other position has a better salary scale..you get get average starters for average money.  At QB - you gotta be wiling to walk away.
The key is to pay QBs early in the hopes that they keep getting better and become a better value. For example Carson is now the 9th highest paid QB. If he had kept getting better, his value is tremendous. But he didn't. You need both to happen. 

Say what you want about Carson's play but this was always one of my favorite Stories. Giovani the young Superman who Carson met a few yrs back that brought the Tri-State area to tears and was bullied online in the last several months for wearing a Wentz Colts jersey (seriously people who does that? You have to be such a low life for that), was brought to Indy for todays Colts/Texans game. Wentz's AO1 foundation set the whole thing up with Indy. 

Giovanni and Carson Wentz reunite again

Everyone is complaining about how the Eagles don't run it with Sanders but has anyone else thought about this also? The Eagles are calling a lot of RPOs and read options where Hurts is taking it himself or passing it when he should hand it to Sanders. That just shows poor reading of the Defense by the QB. Should Sirianni call more running plays for Sanders? Absolutely but some of these plays are on Hurts just not reading the defense either. 

Draft Pick update. Mia Lost to Jaguars who pick up first win on the year. Tiebreaker for #1 pick goes to MIA now who has the top pick in the draft for now. Great news for the Eagles not sure what MIA was thinking 

Draft Pick update. Mia Lost to Jaguars who pick up first win on the year. Tiebreaker for #1 pick goes to MIA now who has the top pick in the draft for now. Great news for the Eagles not sure what MIA was thinking 
It was a mind-bottling trade on draft day, and it's looking downright insane now.  Glad you guys picked their pocket and not another AFC team.

It was a mind-bottling trade on draft day, and it's looking downright insane now.  Glad you guys picked their pocket and not another AFC team.

They basically gave us Jay Ajayi because they used the draft pick on Kalen Ballage who is no longer with them and Jay Train helped us with a Super Bowl They also took AJ Feeley off our hands for 2nd rounder yrs ago we unfortunately wasted on Reggie Brown. We should do more business in the future with MIA 

People keep saying this but if the colts are 2-9 buried in the playoff standings, they would be very tempted to pack it in. 
Besides the fact with 3 more games against Houston/Jax, plus the Jets on the schedule (so no chance they sniff 2-9), they won't bench Wentz unless its for performance reasons.  Teams don't do that mid season. The ONLY way they would bench Wentz is if he is performing horribly.

Insein said:
People keep saying this but if the colts are 2-9 buried in the playoff standings, they would be very tempted to pack it in. 
Players association would be all over them for this.  But never know. 

The thing is he is playing good.  We obviously want him to play good but them lose games, but that's a hard thing to cheer for.   Even if the pick is in the top half of the draft then that's awesome.

DJackson10 said:
Say what you want about Carson's play but this was always one of my favorite Stories. Giovani the young Superman who Carson met a few yrs back that brought the Tri-State area to tears and was bullied online in the last several months for wearing a Wentz Colts jersey (seriously people who does that? You have to be such a low life for that), was brought to Indy for todays Colts/Texans game. Wentz's AO1 foundation set the whole thing up with Indy. 

Giovanni and Carson Wentz reunite again
I wish you could learn how to write coherently. No wish to be mean here but your grammar is awful, and it makes your (almost always long) posts difficult to read

Players association would be all over them for this.  But never know. 

The thing is he is playing good.  We obviously want him to play good but them lose games, but that's a hard thing to cheer for.   Even if the pick is in the top half of the draft then that's awesome.
this is my take on it. Let INdy win a few, let Carson play well. MIAMI is the one we wanna cheer to lose. INdy at .500 is fine.

this is my take on it. Let INdy win a few, let Carson play well. MIAMI is the one we wanna cheer to lose. INdy at .500 is fine.
If Carson is still playing well and they’re losing they’re not benching him unless he gets hurt. Him playing well is why they wanted him and what they want. 

Users who are viewing this thread