What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (11 Viewers)

from Google searches, hired into KC under Todd Haley then promoted to WR coach under Crennel there. Mike McCoy hired him as the QB coach in 2013 for the Chargers then QB coach in 2016. This is where he worked with Reich and Rivers. Reich took him along to Indy as the OC in 2018 and Rivers eventually joining there this past season.

seems to me Reich groomed him for the past few seasons and there's reason to be optimistic about this hire. the connection to Reich I'm sure had a lot to do with the choice, hopefully it's the right one for Wentz since as he goes, we go. overall as a leader though, jury remains silent. not much to go on.

going further back, from Wiki,

would think this means, at the least, he showed good football IQ.
Tyrell Williams WR had his best year with him too as well as Keenan Allen. Also Rivers seemed to really like him which is big since he doesn’t like many coaches/people. Nick also tutored Jacoby Brisset the year Luck retired and made him a very serviceable QB for them. 

Anyone know what Duce's relationship is like with Wentz? Could factor into whether the Eagles keep Duce as OC.
According to a Domowich article today Duce didn’t like how the Eagles “babied” carson in his opinion and that Doug let the players get away with a lot of stuff. Didn’t specify or detail what they got away with but apparently players knew they’d get away with stuff and walked all over Doug which apparently Duce didn’t like. 

You're in denial if you don't wish they had taken Jefferson, but that's old news and Reagor did show some positives towards the end of the year.

He showed the ability to consistently run at least a couple of routes well, he got open 2 or 3 times in the last few games on post routes where he showed speed and the ability to burst off the break and create separation.  Hurts missed or didn't attempt those throws.  He also did pretty well for similar reasons running deep outs, he consistently got separation on those as well, and that's one of the few routes Hurts throws well consistently.

Hopefully the new staff will do more to manufacture touches for him with WR screens, other short receptions etc.  There are really only two explosive players right now on the offense, Sanders and Reagor, so they need to do more to get the ball to them and less to the likes of Greg Ward. 
Unless it’s a key 3rd down and we need a 1st. Dude has some hands no denying that and a nose for the first down marker

Nick also tutored Jacoby Brisset the year Luck retired and made him a very serviceable QB for them. 
this is a great point, Nick inherited that mess with Luck leaving and Brisset was more than serviceable. That team didn't look as bad as it could have.

BDN part 2
i literally just this minute understood this post, typing out "Nick" on the above reply. :lmao: choo choo!

I come in peace and mean this with all sincerity. It sounds like a “control” (puppet)  hire - something Jerry Jones would do (aka Garrett). 

Smart guy, engaging, good with QBs and seemingly sharing managements views. 

The first part doesn’t match the second lol

If the second paragraph is a bad thing, in any way, we will all take it 👍 

And don’t forget his WR coaching experience as well 😉 

Radio stations would be melting down by now.
It has been a soap opera in Houston with Cal McNair officially showing his incompetence, Easterby having two SI articles written about him yet still keeping his job because he continues to fool McNair that he is valuable even though no one knows what he really does, rumors about Deshaun wanting out even though he is not on the record yet as saying that, and a head coaching search that continues to drag on. I think Bienemy is the guy, which is why they are waiting at this point because his team is still in the playoffs. There would be no reason to wait to hire any of their other coaching candidates. Also Bienemy will likely keep Deshaun happy and and quell trade talks.

Can Nick Sirianni speed Wentz up? 

Colts                Eagles
Time to throw             3rd                   30th
Sacks                           T-2nd                Last
Turnovers                    3rd                   30th

The Eagles ran more vertical routes than any team in the NFL in 2020 while the Colts ranked 24th this season, per ESPN Metrics/NFL Next Gen Stats. 

No surprise, then, that the Eagles had the 3rd slowest time to throw in the NFL.

From Tim McManus 

It has been a soap opera in Houston with Cal McNair officially showing his incompetence, Easterby having two SI articles written about him yet still keeping his job because he continues to fool McNair that he is valuable even though no one knows what he really does, rumors about Deshaun wanting out even though he is not on the record yet as saying that, and a head coaching search that continues to drag on. I think Bienemy is the guy, which is why they are waiting at this point because his team is still in the playoffs. There would be no reason to wait to hire any of their other coaching candidates. Also Bienemy will likely keep Deshaun happy and and quell trade talks.
Makes sense.

The Eagles ran more vertical routes than any team in the NFL in 2020 while the Colts ranked 24th this season, per ESPN Metrics/NFL Next Gen Stats. 

No surprise, then, that the Eagles had the 3rd slowest time to throw in the NFL.

From Tim McManus 
I'd imagine shorter, easier to read routes will help a lot.

From Tim McManus 
Not sure. Jalen moves faster than him though

Last edited by a moderator:
From John Clark:

Nick Sirianni did not call the plays with Colts

But I’m told he had input on majority of them and it was a collective effort with Frank Reich

Those who worked with him say he is a great game planner and Colts offense is kinda similar to Eagles 2017 offense but is “more evolved”

From John Clark:

But I’m told he had input on majority of them and it was a collective effort with Frank Reich

Those who worked with him say he is a great game planner and Colts offense is kinda similar to Eagles 2017 offense but is “more evolved”
I think whether someone called plays or not is overrated.  If he’s a good game planner, then he’s building the list of 15 plays that go on the sheet for 3rd and medium, red zone etc.

If he’s good at that, he deserves the benefit of the doubt as a play caller.  Doug was good at it, Andy was good at it, Reich is good at it.  None of them had done it before either.

Edit: Frank may have called plays in previous OC roles, I forgot those but you get the idea.

From Tim McManus 
That's infuriating given the O-line issues

Still have to consider how many audible and play changes Carson made for each play. 

and yeah they had vertical routes but how many attempts to those vertical routes did the QBs make? 
Not a lot considering he was sacked like 60 times.

Yes this is completely true:

Eagles’ legend Josh McCown interviewed for the vacant HC job today in Houston. 
Thats not a surprise. Numerous teams have asked Josh to become their OC or QB coach or some type of coach for them over the last 5-7 yrs. He's incredible smart with a coaching instinct. However for a first coaching gig I wouldn't want him in HOU. Would love to see him here coaching Wentz up as they seemed to Gel well together. 

From John Clark:

This is the quote I saw yesterday. When I saw McLane's it looked like the exact same quote and all the dude did was literally change some words around to make Sirianni look bad. Pretty sad honestly but not surprised the dude would stoop that low 

Eagles Nation

@PHLEaglesNation

·

5h

The #Bears have reached out to Duce Staley for a role on Matt Nagy’s offensive staff, per

@adamjahns

So Paul Domowitch made a report that was put out early yesterday before the news of the Nick Sirianni hire. Here were a few of the key points he made. I also talked to someone on these things for a bit more info and I'll add them at the end of each of Domo's stuff what I have. 

Josh McDainels:   McDainels rep around the league apparently still is not great. A lot of people hated how he left the Colts job and there was huge issues when he was in Den (Particually concerning was the story I mentioned) and how the NE offense the years he was in Den was ranked higher then when he was there. He didn't interview well at all with teams and came off as incredible cocky and too much about himself. People didn't see him as any type of leader. Lurie was not at all sold on him. Domowitch pointed out that McDaniels interest IHHO that shows how desperate they are in their search at that point. 

This all lines up with what my guy said the other day when I posted it here. McDaniels rep in the league is not great. It sounds like the Eagles were using Josh to pick his brain more then anything. What they didn't expect was not only did they not get anything but Lurie saw a reincarnation of Chip Kelly but younger and as an NFL assistant Coach. McDaniels might work well under Bill Bellichich but as a HC you are asking for trouble. 

Duce Staley: Staley didn't see eye to eye with the teams handling of Wentz. Thought Lurie/Roseman babied him too much. He also didn't like Doug Pederson's coaching as players apparently walked all over him according to a team source by Domowitch. There was stuff that has never gotten aired publicly that Doug allowed to happen and players knew it. Domowitch said that having Staley and his tough Love may work against getting Wentz back on track. 

I didn't get any specific details on any thing that Doug hid on the public. I just got the usual its stuff a lot of coaches would let players get away with anyway but magnified more when the team isn't winning type stuff. As for Wentz the team isn't afraid of tough love for Wentz. They just believe Staley's coaching style of tough love would put a lot of players off. He'd hold them accountable but they don't trust Duce can also give the players that kind positive feedback either. Players like Duce but his tough love doesn't come off well on everyone either and turns some guys off. Brandon lee Gowton go BGN said as much himself. More of the dad who has the kid who plays football and is always ragging on him about all his negatives at the HS game and can never look at the positives is what I got out of this. Duce isn't a bad person or bad coach. Some people just don't know if his style of coaching fits the league anymore. he's good with the RBs but coaching a position of guys with that type of coaching only goes so far in a higher role on a team. 

Jeff Skversky 6abc

@JeffSkversky

#Eagles Coach Nick Sirianni was on vacation earlier this week when the Eagles called for an interview & Sirianni did not have a suit with him Sirianni wore casual clothes he had with him & Eagles management did the same to make him comfortable This process moved fast!

@6abc

I will say the only thing that gives me pause on this hire is it screams of im smarter than everyone else move like all the bad draft picks Howie has made the past few years

Hope they are right this time

I will say the only thing that gives me pause on this hire is it screams of im smarter than everyone else move like all the bad draft picks Howie has made the past few years

Andy was considered a bad hire by the media at the time. Doug was considered the worst head coach hire in the league by the media at the time. They turned out ok. I'll give them a pass as they've been pretty good at hiring coaches. Only had 1 really bad mistake. 

Andy was considered a bad hire by the media at the time. Doug was considered the worst head coach hire in the league by the media at the time. They turned out ok. I'll give them a pass as they've been pretty good at hiring coaches. Only had 1 really bad mistake. 
Assuming you mean Chip, he was the only one that the media thought was a great hire so I'm with you in not getting too worried about what everyone else thinks of Sirianni

Question...it appears Philly is all in on getting Wentz right...will they entertain offers on Hurts?  Gotta believe if they are committed to Wentz having Hurts there will eventually turn into a headache...would love to see the Pats take a run at him if he is available.

Question...it appears Philly is all in on getting Wentz right...will they entertain offers on Hurts?  Gotta believe if they are committed to Wentz having Hurts there will eventually turn into a headache...would love to see the Pats take a run at him if he is available.
Outsider perspective, I don't think Philly is anywhere near all in on Wentz.

Outsider perspective, I don't think Philly is anywhere near all in on Wentz.
Correct. However, they have 120 million reasons to give it every chance they can to make it work. 

With that said if someone offered a high pick for Hurts, I think they'd move on and not think twice. 

@Insein aptly said why they are making that appearance - his contract. I think the appearance of their commitment to him is driven by the lack of market for him. 
Could be...will be interesting...regardless of what they have in mind if they are both on the roster it will be interesting to see how that dynamic unfolds...Philly is a media market like Boston and if both are on the team it will be relentless unless one of them totally dominates and doesn't leave the door open for controversy.

Someone laid it out today. Sirianni was the QB coach in SD when Philip Rivers earned comeback player of the year. He was the QB coach in Indy when Andrew Luck earned comeback player of the year. So let's see where Wentz stands at the end of this year. 

Someone laid it out today. Sirianni was the QB coach in SD when Philip Rivers earned comeback player of the year. He was the QB coach in Indy when Andrew Luck earned comeback player of the year. So let's see where Wentz stands at the end of this year. 
Sounds like the right choice, surround yourself with good assistants, add a couple weapons and let’s see what happens. 

Could be...will be interesting...regardless of what they have in mind if they are both on the roster it will be interesting to see how that dynamic unfolds...Philly is a media market like Boston and if both are on the team it will be relentless unless one of them totally dominates and doesn't leave the door open for controversy.
I'm actually more interested to see what they do outside of the qb position. Their cap situation isn't Saints bad, but it's probably next in line. This team is probably getting gutted then Wentz will be tasked with fixing himself by Sirianni's lead without much around him. If he fails then it's easy for the rookie coach to spin he can't be fixed then Wentz gets whacked at the beginning of the 22 league year then hand over the reigns to Hurts. 

My source said it came down to Duce and Sirianni (nothing groundbreaking)and the deal breaker was Duce was not in on Wentz at all. His OC was going to be Darrel Bevell and his plan was to build the offense around Hurts much as he did in Seattle with Wilson. Note that as soon as Sirianni was hired Bevell signed in Jax. Another item of note was that Duce got into a heated argument with Pederson the week before he was benched, with Duce telling Pederson that he needed to stop babying Wentz.

I read a stat that said every HC Lurie has hired has had us in the playoffs within 2 years. I’m not 100% sure if correct and I’m too lazy to look ATM

The list of actual football people who would give up on a 28 year old QB with what he’s shown he’s capable of doing is a ridiculously small list. Of course the money factors in, but why did he get that money again? Those high level years. 

I'm actually more interested to see what they do outside of the qb position. Their cap situation isn't Saints bad, but it's probably next in line. This team is probably getting gutted then Wentz will be tasked with fixing himself by Sirianni's lead without much around him. If he fails then it's easy for the rookie coach to spin he can't be fixed then Wentz gets whacked at the beginning of the 22 league year then hand over the reigns to Hurts. 
The cap is being overblown the more I read about it. From what I’ve seen we can get under the cap with predictable cuts and a few restructures. Also, the cap should bump back up the follow year as well. What this team needs is in injection of good, young and cheap talent beginning this year. There’s young potential here in some key places that has to be coached up. Sanders is Sanders. Raegor, Watkins and Hightower need growth and good coaching. Maybe adding a Chase/Waddle/Smith as well. Goedert is still young and improving. I don’t know how long you’ve lurked but the OL, through all of the mess, has actually found some young gems that played well above expectations. Namely Mailata, Driscoll and Herbig. Add them to Kelce, Lane and Seamolu and it’s a fairly solid unit. If they can hold onto Stoutland that unit  could jump back into a top 10 unit in the league next year if healthy. Wentz and Hurts are also young and could benefit from better coaching. 

The defense is a gigantic question mark. Will definitely have to wait to see who the DC is and outside of Sweat and maybe Singelton there’s not much good young talent on that side of the ball. 

Our Division is still bad as well. I expect the Cowboys to obviously be better with Dak but they need an overhaul on defense. If the Giants and WFT don’t get better QB play it’s very hard to say how much better they’ll be. It will be a very interesting off-season for sure. 

My source said it came down to Duce and Sirianni (nothing groundbreaking)and the deal breaker was Duce was not in on Wentz at all. His OC was going to be Darrel Bevell and his plan was to build the offense around Hurts much as he did in Seattle with Wilson. Note that as soon as Sirianni was hired Bevell signed in Jax. Another item of note was that Duce got into a heated argument with Pederson the week before he was benched, with Duce telling Pederson that he needed to stop babying Wentz.
It’s crazy how sources work. 

The last person I spoke with told me that Duce had no shot at all and was given an interview because they did in the past and felt they had to this time around. Duce is ambitious and it’s known but lacks experience in many areas 

The only arguments I ever heard mentioned were disagreements in approaches which is why Doug made a comment about wanting more of a voice on offense. He felt there was too much input from Duce, Stoutland, Marty and Scangerello and that it needed to be narrowed.

I’ve also been told that the “babying Wentz” essentially doesn’t exist. He’s hard to coach but not babied. 

Users who are viewing this thread