What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (4 Viewers)

Per Les Bowen today:

Spoke with NFL management source (not from Eagles) about the Wentz melodrama. His viewpoint: If Wentz doesn’t want the Bears, Bears aren’t gonna trade for him. Eventually the Eagles take whatever Indy is offering, maybe a second plus something. Also, Eagles draft a QB 6th overall

On Eagles drafting QB sixth overall — bear in mind, Eagles might have a different eval of Hurts than this person, who said his team rated Hurts as a fourth-roundish, backup-with-a-chance type. He thinks, picking high in 1st is a rare chance, u can do better, u have to take a shot
fully expecting Wentz to go to Indy at some point....

I also think Hurts showed enough to run with him and draft a playmaker WR at #6 to finally improve the offensive weapons....if. Hurts is a bust they ill be picking high again next year for a QB

if. Hurts is a bust they ill be picking high again next year for a QB
Likely. See the thing is if they truly value a QB not named Lawrence and think Fields, Lance or Wilson can be a star, why pass for a chance at one next year?

4-11-1 and is a pretty damn bad record and doing that again or worse after removing Doug isn’t likely IMO. 

Per Les Bowen today:

Spoke with NFL management source (not from Eagles) about the Wentz melodrama. His viewpoint: If Wentz doesn’t want the Bears, Bears aren’t gonna trade for him. Eventually the Eagles take whatever Indy is offering, maybe a second plus something. Also, Eagles draft a QB 6th overall

On Eagles drafting QB sixth overall — bear in mind, Eagles might have a different eval of Hurts than this person, who said his team rated Hurts as a fourth-roundish, backup-with-a-chance type. He thinks, picking high in 1st is a rare chance, u can do better, u have to take a shot
He also added:

From my standpoint, Eagles desperately need Pro Bowl-level talent at any of several positions, and having to spend the sixth overall pick on a QB isn’t optimal.
But that IS where it all starts in the NFL. If you don’t have THAT GUY and you can get THAT GUY, you do it.

Likely. See the thing is if they truly value a QB not named Lawrence and think Fields, Lance or Wilson can be a star, why pass for a chance at one next year?

4-11-1 and is a pretty damn bad record and doing that again or worse after removing Doug isn’t likely IMO. 
Agreed - if they scout those four and feel any of them are franchise QBs and they are available at 6 they would be fools not too. If not, however, I think the best move for Eagles is to trade down and accumulate more picks. A WR or even PItts is not going to make them a playoff team. There is a ton of work ahead to remake that roster. Trade down, build from the trenches out.

fully expecting Wentz to go to Indy at some point....

I also think Hurts showed enough to run with him and draft a playmaker WR at #6 to finally improve the offensive weapons....if. Hurts is a bust they ill be picking high again next year for a QB
yeah Hurts is seeming like a good guy to like. Even if he isn't a top end talent, probably will be a great QB2 for his career:

https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/cool-behind-the-scenes-story-about-eagles-jalen-hurts

considering how much the Eagles loved Sudfeld like he is going to be a starter somewhere, and all the gushing over Carson, i hope they don't draft a QB that high. if not Lawrence, i think they skip it for now and get some other top player that they know is by far the best in his class.

trade down would be nice and might be best option, but i don't know if they can get good value

ETA: and if they decide to draft a QB at 6, i agree with almost all Eagles' fans they need to kick Howie. I would say the next day even. Why in the hell would they waste a 2nd round pick on a QB they apparently loved, just to draft another QB with 1st pick the next year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Les Bowen today:

The fact multiple people are saying the Eagles could draft a QB just tells you everything you need to know about Hurts in the league and kind of confirms what myself and others have heard about what most in the Eagles FO feels about Hurts

yeah Hurts is seeming like a good guy to like. Even if he isn't a top end talent, probably will be a great QB2 for his career:

https://www.radio.com/94wip/sports/cool-behind-the-scenes-story-about-eagles-jalen-hurts
I know we've all mentioned this but there seems to be a lot more to Hurts we don't know. I'm working a couple angles to try and confirm stuff. What I'm working on is trying to confirm a few reports on 2-3 scouting reports and stuff I heard about Hurts in Alabama he isn't the guy we all think he is, how his dad is too involved in his career (threatening Bama about Hurts starting or not and making sure he was at a School who started him no matter what) and possible Hurts being hear as the reason Brian Daboll who was Hurts OC in 2017 turned down an interview with us. It could be a whole lot of nothing but could also be something and why some with the Eagles don't view Hurts as the guy. The whole thing is interesting and I know a lot of people are doing a lot of digging on who nd who didn't want Hurts here. 

I'm not gonna say the kid is fake as of now because I'm in the early stages of this and it could just be negative anger from people who didn't get their way. But it's interesting given the current situation non the less 

Agreed - if they scout those four and feel any of them are franchise QBs and they are available at 6 they would be fools not too. If not, however, I think the best move for Eagles is to trade down and accumulate more picks. A WR or even PItts is not going to make them a playoff team. There is a ton of work ahead to remake that roster. Trade down, build from the trenches out.

considering how much the Eagles loved Sudfeld like he is going to be a starter somewhere, and all the gushing over Carson, i hope they don't draft a QB that high. if not Lawrence, i think they skip it for now and get some other top player that they know is by far the best in his class.

trade down would be nice and might be best option, but i don't know if they can get good value

ETA: and if they decide to draft a QB at 6, i agree with almost all Eagles' fans they need to kick Howie. I would say the next day even. Why in the hell would they waste a 2nd round pick on a QB they apparently loved, just to draft another QB with 1st pick the next year. 

man if we draft another qb at 6 we are some idiots

The fact multiple people are saying the Eagles could draft a QB just tells you everything you need to know about Hurts in the league and kind of confirms what myself and others have heard about what most in the Eagles FO feels about Hurts
I said it when the Wentz rumors started. If he’s dealt (now he will) than QB heads to the top of the list. 

Whether we agree or not it has to. You have a new HC who I’m sure wants “his guy” and if we think there’s one better for our team than Hurts you HAVE to take them. It’s the same logic when we dealt for Wentz. You’re not in this position many times and going 6-10 next year makes getting a franchise QB extremely hard. 

Id love the idea of a QB needy team giving us a ton to move up but I will 100% understand if they go QB at 6 and wouldn’t be mad. Id be more mad if Wentz shines elsewhere and we forced ourselves into a QB because we ruined that relationship over a GM that sucks 

This is why I didn't believe the newer story that Doug wanted to keep Wentz. I truly believe Hurts was another pick by Howie to be friendly with Doug similar to Reagor pick. Many of the higher ups seem to all be 100% in Wentz's corner. It all comes back to the problem is still there in Roseman. Doug deserved his firing don't get me wrong but the main problem is still there. 

I said it when the Wentz rumors started. If he’s dealt (now he will) than QB heads to the top of the list. 

Whether we agree or not it has to. You have a new HC who I’m sure wants “his guy” and if we think there’s one better for our team than Hurts you HAVE to take them. It’s the same logic when we dealt for Wentz. You’re not in this position many times and going 6-10 next year makes getting a franchise QB extremely hard. 

Id love the idea of a QB needy team giving us a ton to move up but I will 100% understand if they go QB at 6 and wouldn’t be mad. Id be more mad if Wentz shines elsewhere and we forced ourselves into a QB because we ruined that relationship over a GM that sucks 
I'd be mad if they go QB at 6 and it's Fields or Wilson. I just don't see Fields having a great career with how inconsistent he is. I like Lance but not enough at 6. Trade back for more draft assets or pick BPA out of Offense or Defense not named a QB or G. 

This is why I didn't believe the newer story that Doug wanted to keep Wentz. I truly believe Hurts was another pick by Howie to be friendly with Doug similar to Reagor pick. Many of the higher ups seem to all be 100% in Wentz's corner. It all comes back to the problem is still there in Roseman. Doug deserved his firing don't get me wrong but the main problem is still there. 
Yep. He truly believes in the “QB factory” as silly as it sounds. He did it with Thorson, gave Sudfield a ton to be a 3rd QB while he had Wentz and Foles and drafted Hurts high. 

If ANY GM in the league were to consider another QB with 6 you’d have to place heavy money in Howie. 

I'd be mad if they go QB at 6 and it's Fields or Wilson. I just don't see Fields having a great career with how inconsistent he is. I like Lance but not enough at 6. Trade back for more draft assets or pick BPA out of Offense or Defense not named a QB or G. 
agree trade back then.  

i dont believe in any of these qbs after Lawrence. so if we pass on an elite wr again,  I will be disappointed.  again.

hmm maybe. but if that is the case, why wouldn't Doug have started Hurts after their bye against one of the worst pass defenses at home in Seattle? I am positive if Hurts started after the bye his stats would have looked better

agree trade back then.  

i dont believe in any of these qbs after Lawrence. so if we pass on an elite wr again,  I will be disappointed.  again.
And as we all chase our tail, it all comes back to them destroying a relationship with a guy they gave up numerous draft assets for and gave tons of money to a short time ago. 

It’s just so bad that Howie is still here. Pair this HC with a GM he can be on the same page with and build their vision from there. 

You have a GM whose seat is on fire with a young, inexperienced coach trying to build a team. How can Howie keep his job? Used to be 3 ways now I just see 2. 

1. Fix the Wentz situation and have him look good and win. That ship has sailed

2. Use “your guy” and have him do well so it minimizes the hit of dealing Wentz. Giving what I’ve seen from Hurts and our overall talent it’s going to be hard for him to do well this year but possible he shows enough for Howie to be “right”. This won’t matter if Wentz shines elsewhere

3. Draft a QB early and hope he shows franchise QB potential. This is also predicated on why Wentz does too though. If he kills it he still may go

2 and 3 are his only avenues IMO. What can he do if Sirianni loves Fields/Wilson/Lance? He almost has to get the new HC his guy. 

You have a GM whose seat is in fire with a young, inexperienced coach trying to build a team. How can Howie keep his job? Used to be 3 ways now I just see 2. 

1. Fix the Wentz situation and have him look good and win. That ship has sailed

2. Use “your guy” and have him do well so it minimizes the hit of dealing Wentz. Giving what I’ve seen from Hurts and our overall talent it’s going to be hard for him to do well this year. 

3. Draft a QB early and hope he shows franchise QB potential

2 and 3 are his only avenues IMO. What can he do if Sirianni loves Fields/Wilson/Lance? He almost has to get the new HC his guy. 
i would throw in a 4th option. if Wentz can get traded and Howie can bring back a haul then i would say he is in better shape. The Bradford return was pretty great. But we also know the chance of this happening is close to 0% with pretty much every media source reporting that other GMs laughed at Howie and hung up the phone with what he requested. 

If i were Howie, i would get that his value is up in the air. i would be pressing hard for conditional picks, witht he chance that he can get a great return if Wentz can lead a team to a SB. i don't know all the details in how these could work, but i could see 1 or 2 1st round picks being conditional fair if Wentz can live up to the 2017 Wentz

It sounds like Wentz is blocking the trade to the Bears and wants to be in Indy.   Indy trade seems imminent which isn't great for our return.

If Wentz is traded with high picks in return I'm just fine with QB at 6 if they see someone they like. Wasn't pleased with the Hurts pick but doubling down on a bad pick by THEN counting on that pick to be "the man" would be even dumber. So.....really not getting why so many here are against QB at 6.

If Wentz ISN'T traded, we have a different scenario where the better answer would be the trade back for extra picks, surround Wentz with some more talent and hope the new staff can coach him back to where he started.

i would throw in a 4th option. if Wentz can get traded and Howie can bring back a haul then i would say he is in better shape. The Bradford return was pretty great. But we also know the chance of this happening is close to 0% with pretty much every media source reporting that other GMs laughed at Howie and hung up the phone with what he requested. 

If i were Howie, i would get that his value is up in the air. i would be pressing hard for conditional picks, witht he chance that he can get a great return if Wentz can lead a team to a SB. i don't know all the details in how these could work, but i could see 1 or 2 1st round picks being conditional fair if Wentz can live up to the 2017 Wentz
It’s not just going to have to be a haul. It has to be a haul he can actually get something out of as well. 

If he blows this and Wentz shines this year will be the beginning of many bad years. It’s one thing to have the picks but they have to be made. 

It sounds like Wentz is blocking the trade to the Bears and wants to be in Indy.   Indy trade seems imminent which isn't great for our return.
This trade has been imminent for 3 weeks now lol

If Wentz is traded with high picks in return I'm just fine with QB at 6 if they see someone they like. Wasn't pleased with the Hurts pick but doubling down on a bad pick by THEN counting on that pick to be "the man" would be even dumber. So.....really not getting why so many here are against QB at 6.

If Wentz ISN'T traded, we have a different scenario where the better answer would be the trade back for extra picks, surround Wentz with some more talent and hope the new staff can coach him back to where he started.
because the qbs after lawrence are all huge dart throws.

if they are dead set on taking a qb in round one trade back for mac or trask. taking wilson or fields there is criminal.

at least get something out of the nice spot we are picking from

Right, he does not have a no-trade but if the Bears know Wentz doesn't want to be there, why would they trade for him? Why offer Philly "the most" just to take on a headache and potential problem? 
But that's my point. It was smart for the Bears to ask, but Philly waited. Philly would have been better off taking the better offer immediately instead of waiting. Now it looks like that ship has sailed and Philly will have to take Indy's lesser offer. If Indy was smart, with no other offers on the table, they'd say instead of two seconds plus so something, now we're offering one second and something.

very true - I remember the Jets passing on Watson and Mahomes because they drafted Hackenburg in the 2d rd the year before!  

But that's my point. It was smart for the Bears to ask, but Philly waited. Philly would have been better off taking the better offer immediately instead of waiting. Now it looks like that ship has sailed and Philly will have to take Indy's lesser offer. If Indy was smart, with no other offers on the table, they'd say instead of two seconds plus so something, now we're offering one second and something.
The better offer can’t be accepted if it’s true that Wentz doesn’t want to go to Chicago, if that’s what you’re implying. 

Also this thing has drug on so long and there are so many different and conflicting reports say after day you have absolutely no idea what to believe. 

This is EXACTLY why picking 6th that a QB has to be on the board if you deal Wentz. 
That's just going to create another #### storm here though. People that have bought into Hurts are going to instantly be pissed off and any failure he has will be viewed as "well they didn't get him any weapons and sabotaged him from the start" completely missing the irony. So then we put in the rookie and he's a mixed bag of results. We have a disgruntled Hurts as a backup that we have to move next year for probably a 5th. Rinse repeat.

Not a great way to start a coaching regime.

That's why I prefer to give Hurts the year with some weapons (WR at 6). Then we know if he can play or not and move forward accordingly.

This is EXACTLY why picking 6th that a QB has to be on the board if you deal Wentz. 
Yes.

Exactly.  it's easy to say "oh lets get our WR first and get our QB next year"... but the NFL doesn't work out like that.  You don't rebuild strategically like that and have it work.  If you don't have your franchise QB on your roster, and you have a top 10 pick, QB is most definitely a priority.

because the qbs after lawrence are all huge dart throws.

if they are dead set on taking a qb in round one trade back for mac or trask. taking wilson or fields there is criminal.

at least get something out of the nice spot we are picking from
Watson and Mahomes were "dart throw" QB's taken around that spot, and both weren't as highly touted as Fields is.  Mac or Trask are also dart throws, but you're throwing with your left hand with those guys vs Fields and Wilson.

That's just going to create another #### storm here though. People that have bought into Hurts are going to instantly be pissed off and any failure he has will be viewed as "well they didn't get him any weapons and sabotaged him from the start" comply missing the irony. So then we put in the rookie and he's a mixed bag of results. We have a disgruntled Hurts as a backup that we have to move next year for probably a 5th. Rinse repeat.

That's why I prefer to give Hurts the year with some weapons (WR at 6). Then we know if he can play or not and move forward accordingly.
He can't though.  Or he will play just good enough go get us a pick outside the top 8 next year and THEN WTF do we do?

Yes.

Exactly.  it's easy to say "oh lets get our WR first and get our QB next year"... but the NFL doesn't work out like that.  You don't rebuild strategically like that and have it work.  If you don't have your franchise QB on your roster, and you have a top 10 pick, QB is most definitely a priority.

Watson and Mahomes were "dart throw" QB's taken around that spot, and both weren't as highly touted as Fields is.  Mac or Trask are also dart throws, but you're throwing with your left hand with those guys vs Fields and Wilson.
They were picked around 11.  Not 6.   We could trade back to something like that and I would be ok

They were picked around 11.  Not 6.   We could trade back to something like that and I would be ok
This is wild to me.  If someone trades up to 6, it's likely for a QB and they will be gone anyways.  If a potential Watson/Mahomes is there at 6, and you're a QB needy team, you DON"T roll the dice and potentially lose a franchise qb just to move back 5 spots and maybe pick up a future 2nd rounder.  That's ridiculous. 

This is wild to me.  If someone trades up to 6, it's likely for a QB and they will be gone anyways.  If a potential Watson/Mahomes is there at 6, and you're a QB needy team, you DON"T roll the dice and potentially lose a franchise qb just to move back 5 spots and maybe pick up a future 2nd rounder.  That's ridiculous. 
Agree. Trade ups into the top 10 rarely occur for a position other than QB. Julio was an exception

Do you feel confident Howie is going to identify the next Watson or Mahomes?
Nope I do not.  But I'm just as confident he won't identify the next Hopkins or Hill.

If Sirianni loves one of them at 6 though and wants him, then I'm 100% behind them taking that guy.  I don't know who that guy will be.  I'm not an NFL scout and don't pretend to be.

That's just going to create another #### storm here though. People that have bought into Hurts are going to instantly be pissed off and any failure he has will be viewed as "well they didn't get him any weapons and sabotaged him from the start" completely missing the irony. So then we put in the rookie and he's a mixed bag of results. We have a disgruntled Hurts as a backup that we have to move next year for probably a 5th. Rinse repeat.

I don’t disagree with any of it but that’s the position. If they have a guy as a potential top QB you just can’t pass on them. 

It’s a mess 

Do you feel confident Howie is going to identify the next Watson or Mahomes?
I don’t trust him to pick anyone. 

Do you feel confident Howie is going to identify the next franchise QB NEXT year with an even lower pick?  What about the year after that?
I'm hoping Howie is fired asap.

If we can get another pick plus one of the top 5 qbs just do that then if you have to have yet another qb.   To me fields and Wilson look like busts. Mac and trask look like they have more of a chance to me and we can draft them later.  That's all I'm saying.

I agree if they feel that strongly about fields or Wilson that you have to take them at 6.  But how could you?   Both those guys have some serious warts.

Howies head better roll unless he absolutely nails this off season.  So far it doesn't look good. 

They should take the best player.   And it's a wr.

I'm hoping Howie is fired asap.

If we can get another pick plus one of the top 5 qbs just do that then if you have to have yet another qb.   To me fields and Wilson look like busts. Mac and trask look like they have more of a chance to me and we can draft them later.  That's all I'm saying.

I agree if they feel that strongly about fields or Wilson that you have to take them at 6.  But how could you?   Both those guys have some serious warts.

Howies head better roll unless he absolutely nails this off season.  So far it doesn't look good. 
I think we all want Howie gone but we have to operate under the assumption that it's likely he's still here next year.  I'd rather take my chances on a Howie QB at 6 this year (hopefully with Sirianni influence) than Howie next year probably later in the draft.

Nope I do not.  But I'm just as confident he won't identify the next Hopkins or Hill.

If Sirianni loves one of them at 6 though and wants him, then I'm 100% behind them taking that guy.  I don't know who that guy will be.  I'm not an NFL scout and don't pretend to be.
There's nothing really to identify with the WRs. It's Smith or Chase. Whether they pan out as studs is on them and the coaching. They have the talent. Only way to screw this up is to not take either if they're both available.

hmm maybe. but if that is the case, why wouldn't Doug have started Hurts after their bye against one of the worst pass defenses at home in Seattle? I am positive if Hurts started after the bye his stats would have looked better
True as well but I disagree his stats looking better. He literally regressed each week he ended up starting. 

I'm against QB at 6 because I'm not big on the QBs this year outside of Lawerence. I admit I'm a bit ignorant on Zach Wilson. I like Lance not at 6. Justin Fields is way too inconsistent for me and some scouts believe he has the biggest bust potential and more consistent guys like Trask/Jones could have successful careers over Fields do to consistency. 

very true - I remember the Jets passing on Watson and Mahomes because they drafted Hackenburg in the 2d rd the year before!  
Ahh good ole Hackenburg that my PSU homer friends were telling me they'd have taken over Wentz and others that year and blamed James Franklin the coach for how bad he was. I can't remember a more overrated recruit who ended up being such a bust in college. 

Hurts father would be pissed off too and might get involved. 

In draft news the Eagles have met with Asante Samuel's son CB from FSU Asante Jr via zoom. He's projected to be a Nickel CB at the start with potential to become a possible Top CB2 low CB1 potential 

Users who are viewing this thread