What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (2 Viewers)

I think I'd rather have the rumored deal of 2 2nds than bet on Wentz playing 3/4 of the snaps (for health reasons more than beating out Jacoby Brissett).
If not for being benched Carson would've played 2 yrs of 16 games or more and when he did get hurt it was by a cheap shot from one of the biggest scumbags in the league 

If Hurts plays like crap, Wentz gets back to normal and we pass on a star QB I may just have to quit football for a while. This is going to be Earl Thomas/ Brandon Graham or JJAW/ DK Metcalf x 10. It will be SOOOO BAD here for a long, long time  

If he didn’t want the Bears that deal couldn’t happen anyway. 

The cap being what it is due to COVID crushed potential buyers. Wentz is like 16% of the cap for a team. That eliminates tons of teams. 
I like BG over Earl Thomas and unlike Earl BG isn't a piece of garbage who hits ladies. Plus BG helped us win a SB and is still producing at a high enough level. ET is on the decline. Now JJAW/DK I'd agree with it bad. 

I heard the CAP effected a lot of teams do to the Covid especially the Eagles. Covid threw a monkey wrench in the Eagles plans big time. A lot of the kick the cap down the road was predicated on the cap increases like they had expected. 

maybe. there are a lot of teams that need a QB, just surprised no one wanted to give Carson a try outside of Indy. 

ANd i'd rather the Eagles try Hurts and get some pieces they need on this team. WR, OL, DE, LB, CB, any of those positions with drafting guys in the top 3-5 would be nice. give me 2 of those over 1 QB in the top 4 for this year.

if Hurts sucks this year, then trade your 1st round pick next year with hopefully the Colts 1st round pick and move up.  
My issue is I have zero faith in Hurts becoming anymore then a great career back up with the upside of a tier 3 QB who like Dilfer can win do to incredible talent around him and manage the game. Hurts is a great kid but he hasn't progressed in his talent at all since Bama till now. His dad is a Coach who taught him the position and he's been at every QB CAMP a top recruit could get his hands on including some of the elite stuff. 

I checked in on some stuff after I had heard a few things about Hurts and was curious (Only because of what I had heard of him being a stand up guy and all) wanted to clear a few things up. Brian Daboll was Hurts OC at Bama in 17 and apparently Brian butted heads with Coach Saban about Hurts. Eventually Hurts dad got involved with the typical he starts or we transfer threats the dads who like to live through their kids get. Daboll wanted to bench Hurts for poor play but was then overruled by Saban. A concern I found with Daboll though was Tide fans and others who said Daboll didn't seem to try and adjust and play to Hurts strengths as he was big on starting this talented freshman named Tua who apparently has a cannon for an arm (perhaps many of you heard of this cat before?). Daboll from someone I talked too didn't want a HC job this year but especially didn't want the Eagles job if Hurts was there as he saw no progress in keep Hurts. Daboll would've been adamant on Keeping Wentz or drafting his guy but would bring in a Stop gap if his guy wasn't here and play him over Hurts (Seems like theres bad blood between Hurts/His father and Brain Daboll. 

The stuff I was really curious about was a few scouting reports I saw mention people at the OU program glad to see him leave. This stems from the fact Hurts was a transfer and 1 year guy. OU is a program that loves their college players who are there for the long haul. Don't take kindly to graduate Transfers or guys like Hurts just trying to make a better situation for a better draft possibility. Some of the recruitorsand coaches were pissed because of the effort they took in getting talented Recruit Spence Rattler into OU. Only then to see this kid who's father transferred him because Lincoln Riley was one of the few big College program coaches to offer him a QB starter job. At the time many NFL scouts wanted him to change positions to TE/HB similar to Tebow when he went to the NFL and play a year at that spot to see what he could do draft wise. Hurts insistent on playing QB. Unlike his father Hurts handling everything professional. 

The issue though as good as the #s at OU looked he was literally playing backyard Football and had to be schemed guys open. He was still making a lot of the same mistakes he did at Bama at OU and he doesn't have great deep ball ability. People say all this kid does is win but a part of me things that had a lot to do with the talent around him then really his own talent himself. So the whole "lets see what he can with a full offseason as the #1 first" I can't buy into. He's had all the coaching in the world. Yes he's improved but it's very little since he was a freshman. I think Hurts is as good as he's gonna be currently. I hope for the Eagles and us fans sake I'm 110% wrong. Hurts sounds like a great kid overall and you always hope a guy like him succeeds at the next level but if I had a gun to my head I'd say it doesn't look great. 

Eagles fans are any of your worried that Hurts might be more a one trick pony like RG3 and not the answer long term?  
I'm very worried. I watched a lot of Bama over the years being a Florida fan. Hate the Tide for their success more then anything and respect them though. I wasn't a fan of Hurts then nor when he went to OU. Never seemed to progress. He reminds me of a guy who has just enough talent to be a top of College football division but was lucky to go to huge programs with far better Pro Level talent that hid a lot of issues that will be exposed at the next level. I like Hurts as a person hope he does well but I'm not betting on it 

The Eagles will carry a $33.8 million dead-money cap charge for Carson Wentz in 2021. That will be the largest dead money charge in NFL history.

He was actually better than Hurts in most things IIRC. Hurts statistically was absolutely awful in almost every way passing the ball. 
I was honestly embarrassed. We lose the NO game if Brees plays and probably get murdered that game with Hurts collecting garbage time stats that make him look reasonable. Like I've stated numerous times Alshon got away with what seemed like 4 OPI's against ARZ in a game that pissed me off just for how blatant Alshon was trying for someone not Named Wentz (Same happened when Foles played and not Wentz either) I felt bad for Patty P there. Hurts had two crucial fumbles that game too. The last game of the year was laughable bad for Hurts statistically. WAS should've murdered us with the way we played. 

I just don't see how people can look at Both QBs and say Hurts played great. 

I was honestly embarrassed. We lose the NO game if Brees plays and probably get murdered that game with Hurts collecting garbage time stats that make him look reasonable. Like I've stated numerous times Alshon got away with what seemed like 4 OPI's against ARZ in a game that pissed me off just for how blatant Alshon was trying for someone not Named Wentz (Same happened when Foles played and not Wentz either) I felt bad for Patty P there. Hurts had two crucial fumbles that game too. The last game of the year was laughable bad for Hurts statistically. WAS should've murdered us with the way we played. 

I just don't see how people can look at Both QBs and say Hurts played great. 
Really?   Pretty sure we beat Washington if hurts stays in the game  

Yes his line was probably the league's worst.

Yes his receivers did him no favors.

But how Wentz can still be air mailing so many passes at this point is really inexcusable.

I remain amazed at how few NFL QBs can actually throw the ball with accuracy.
Not me? Know why? Because many of these guys for yrs relied on their athletic ability and arm strength throughout school. QBs like CK, Lamar, Vick's etc all were never taught proper throwing mechanics. In College only so much can be done anymore as College is what have you done for me lately. If a guy is athletic enough to win you game no time to fix them. Get to the NFL and it's the "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" philosophy because they've been doing this for so long now completely changing their mechanics and stuff will mess them up. Subtle changes to some players can be made. 

Of course it helps to have a great O Line - But Wentz was the worst starting QB in the NFL last year by any objective metric. He was horrendous with a clean pocket, no pocket, and out of pocket. The most concerning issue I think is his utter lack of accuracy and from the uncatchable pass percentage - it’s not his receivers.

if anyone can bring him back to serviceable I think it’s Reich. It’s just going to take a ton of work. Eagles did very well in that trade.
Don't think anyone was disputing Wentz played terrible. However (Forget where I saw it) but Someone crunched Hurts 4 starts and projected it to a 16 game season or at least the amount of games Wentz played. Hurts was worse or about the same as Wentz over that period of time projected. 

• Smile
Reactions: Ash
Meanwhile, there's a sizable amount of Browns fans shouting from the top of their lungs today that this proves they won the 2016 #2/Wentz trade. 

Um, what?? The got 0 players directly from the trade that had any impact on the team, and indirectly (via many other convoluted trades and pick swaps) they wound up with Denzel Ward and OBJ while trading away the Deshaun Watson pick. And everyone behind that trade has since been fired.

The Eagles got 2017/SB52 and whatever we get from the Indy picks. 

:crazy:
They still angry about Lebron Leaving the Cavs so anything to help them sleep at night. They also know Baker is just an avg QB 

I agree mostly with your take, but Wentz didn't do anything in SB52. (You could argue they wouldn't have made the playoffs without Wentz, I'm not sure really)
We don't make the Playoffs without Wentz MVP season but also how some of the other guys played that year. Wentz did just enough before he got hurt and we won the 1st round bye in time because Foles was god awful when he replacement Wentz other then the LA game when he came in for him. It Took the Eagles the whole bye week to come up with a plan to save the season with Foles. Thankfully for Frank Reich and company they got it right. I'm excluding Doug because I heard he didn't have much input other then telling Reich and DeFlippo to come up with a plain to get Foles right and let him know in the end and he'll sign off if he liked it. 

I’m really interested to see if Wentz mechanical issues improve.  Seems like either Taylor couldn’t teach him in that area, or Wentz wouldn’t listen.
Heard this was a bit of both. Wentz isn't uncoachable like some want it to seem. Chris Long said what I've heard a ll along that Press Taylor just wasn't the right coach for him as the position guy plus Doug wasn't holding coaches accountable for piss poor performances in coaching. Wentz is stubborn and if he doesn't have a guy calling out his bull#### he'll continue to do his thing. Press Taylor tried to be Carson's best friend which doesn't work with this aspect. Wentz needs to be coached hard and there's nothing wrong with that as some greats loved being coached hard. MJ loved how Phil Jackson and company pushed him to be better. Brady seemed to like it from Bill and Josh McDainel as well. 

So it's a little of both however I also blame Pederson for not calling out Taylor or replacing him with someone who was a bit tougher. Press seems like he is really smart but not the right type of coach for Carson unless the other coach involved is the one pressing (pun intended) Wentz on the issues. 

All the ducks are in a row now. If Wentz does well he’ll be killed weekly. If Hurts plays poorly he’ll be killed and if he passed on a QB who shows he can play he’s killed as well. The problem is that he killed us in the process. No one wins
Got to respect a captain who goes down with the ship though right  :shrug:

I think with Carson and Watsons situation, we ARE seeing a shift to NBA style where players will get to determine their own landing spots more often.  With 0/22 QBs from 09-16 still on their drafted teams' roster, the era of long term loyalty seems to be down the drain.  NBA happened a decade ago, NFL is catching up now.  If you don't land a guy like Mahomes, you're probably not going to have a "franchise QB" that is with you for 10+ years anymore.
I want Players to have more control in the NFL. It's embarrassing how much NFL teams control their livelihoods at times. However I hope we don't get to the NBA style player A is too soft and cries to his agent who threatens the union on said team or GM for trying to coach baby player tough. As well as turning into a league of Hired Mercenaries. I don't mind Players wanting what they want sometimes but when it comes to the NBA it's just laughable the most recent is the Harden Situation. 

Football is a team sport and it's amazing how good players look on good teams vs bad teams, especially QBs.  Hell, Trent Dilfer won a SB and I think most feel Wentz is a lot better than him. McMahon for the Bears wasn't very good either, but he had the 85 Bears.  Not saying the Colts are the 85 Bears, but Wentz is better than McMahon.   My God, Mark Rypien, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Hostetler won a SB,   
Yep I've said for yrs Football is one of the few sports where a team wins together. You can have a great QB but if you don't have the right coaching or defense to go with the great Offense and QB you aren't winning. Look at Aaron Rodgers. Will go down as one of the last decades greatest QBs to ever play but maybe have 1 SB to show for it in spite of his coach? Put him on NE and it's just not fair and I would go to say Rodgers in NE wins more SBs then Brady just based on some things Rodgers can do and Brady can't physically. 

Where you at DJackson10?? A day like today calls for a novel written on this kind of move. Either he is penning the Gone with the Wind II The Wentz Years, or he got put in time out again. He hasn’t called anyone names in here.... maybe a shake up in the FFA forum? 😂

seriously, curious to his hot takes and neighborhood connections on this deal.
What happened to you man? You use to not take personal shots at people? Now you're turning into another one of the other Dal fans 

Have you no clue of the burden on grocery store workers in a PA snow storm? 
Maybe you should worry about yourself and not what others do. It must be nice sitting at home the last year working while I deal in a high risk area while living with people at high risk putting them at higher risk to earn a living. All while dealing with ignorant customers, rude people, overbearing bosses who sit at home and only come out of their houses (The main offices have been closed for months) when they start losing money or need to pinch the stores management to F us hard workers over to get their bonus for the QTR. All while wearing a mask. Going home, hardly having a life anyone. Meanwhile you get to work while you want, don't have to deal with coworkers personally and maybe catch up some more tunes or watch some Netflix with a nice cold one at right after work. 

Trust me I doubt you could ever do my job and just from your act on here you'd be gone in a month and than probably blaming all of us instead of holding yourself accountable. Trust me, we've dealt with a lot of people like yourself in my field before. Think the job is below them, think they are always right, think they can do it better, only to end up barely lasting a month because they quit or got canned. They all believe the stereotypes and go into the job only to get a rude awakening it's nothing like that. 

I’m glad it’s over but not glad he’s gone I guess.  Still can’t believe it ended up like this
If you told me when we drafted him this would happen I'd call you nuts and ask what drugs you were taking because they sound amazing 

Eagles leading rushers since 2016:

• Miles Sanders: 1,685 yards
• Carson Wentz: 1,061 yards
• Wendell Smallwood: 850 yards
• LeGarrette Blount: 766 yards
• Darren Sproles: 685 yards
• Ryan Mathews: 661 yards
• Corey Clement: 655 yards
• Jay Ajayi: 622 yards

And here we go. DJax, feel free to save some of those for the Colts thread. 😉
Don't worry about me I'm staying right here. I'm just very  :hot:  how this ended and it couldn't have happened with a worst day of work either. Add in everything and I'm just not happy. I don't take total blame from Wentz but the whole situation on the organization stand point was handled so wrongly over the years. It happens to us like clock work. The minute we have something great it's ruined. 

Really?   Pretty sure we beat Washington if hurts stays in the game  
With the way he played I doubt it. He wasn't moving the ball down the field at all. Had Washington showed up more we lose that game by at least 17 IMHO. The way Hurts played if this was Week 8 I would've benched him too. 

Don't worry about me I'm staying right here. I'm just very  :hot:  how this ended and it couldn't have happened with a worst day of work either. Add in everything and I'm just not happy. I don't take total blame from Wentz but the whole situation on the organization stand point was handled so wrongly over the years. It happens to us like clock work. The minute we have something great it's ruined. 
At least we got a SB out of this era. We've had plenty of other eras implode without getting one. 

Eagles leading rushers since 2016:

• Miles Sanders: 1,685 yards
• Carson Wentz: 1,061 yards
• Wendell Smallwood: 850 yards
• LeGarrette Blount: 766 yards
• Darren Sproles: 685 yards
• Ryan Mathews: 661 yards
• Corey Clement: 655 yards
• Jay Ajayi: 622 yards
Thats a concerning list. But at the same time Sanders was our only legit 3 down player. Wentz has Mobility at QB but shocked he was 2nd. Smallwood 3rd? Blount was a situation short yardage kill the clock when we have the lead, goal line back by that point. I remember when People wanted to trade Shady and make Sproles our main back but Sproles was never a 3 down back and more known for his pass catching and blocking. Ryan Mathews had a cup of coffee and was hurt. Clement could've been something but it looks like the injury he had was much worse. Ajayi came late in the season in 17 on deadline week so not shocked. Came back for a cup o coffee not anywhere near the guy he once was 

Overall thats a shocking list. I wouldn't saying embarrassing as a few decent players just guys not known as big time runners. 

At least we got a SB out of this era. We've had plenty of other eras implode without getting one. 
Was it really an era? We had one season where we were awesome and even in that season, we had to do it the hard way to get it done. We haven't really had sustained success since Andy back in 05 really. We've been a slightly above average team since 2005 with one lightning in the bottle moment. Thank God for that moment. I don't see another one coming for a very long time. 

I agree It's just how it ended plus I bit into a s** sandwich at work today that I was dreading happening today simple because of the weather and another completely different issue came up since I was back from vacation that just brought up old issues from the past I'm not happy about. 

Had this trade happened last week like I had hoped I'd be maybe in a tad better mood as well. 

Can't stand the radio right now. The hosts rejoicing like this was a great move for the Eagles that was long overdue. Only Ike Reese and Jon Ritchie are saying that this was really bad.  It's starting to sink in that we're pretty screwed for the next 3 years. 

Can't stand the radio right now. The hosts rejoicing like this was a great move for the Eagles that was long overdue. Only Ike Reese and Jon Ritchie are saying that this was really bad.  It's starting to sink in that we're pretty screwed for the next 3 years. 
Not surprised. Most of the radio guys wanted Wentz out of here just like Angelo drove the We will always hate McNabb since he wasn't Ricky Williams who we wanted. The radio guys are your knuckle dragging Neanderthals who sit at the water cooler at your work every morning and spend 45 mins of their first hour on "a coffee break" shooting the sh**. Everyone one of them has the I'm right and you're wrong personality, the one guy (the loudest and brags about himself) is banging some chick from another office while his own wife is 6 months pregnant, the 1 dude in the group still thinks it's the 80s and parties every weekend and comes back Monday trying to sober up most of the day at work, and then you got the one guy who the let in the group who they feel sorry for so just let him in with the cool crowd so he thinks he part of the in group (But behind his back he's the butt of every joke). Thats the radio hosts in this town. 

I never thought back in 04 I'd say this but I miss the days of Howard Eskin on Radio. He was the most tame and reasonable out of them all. I always say I miss Tony Bruno (despite the fact we both are on complete opposites of politics) was probably the best in town. Still remember on his own podcast when he ripped both stations after the Josh Innes firing and 97.5 fake caller. He tore both stations a few new holes. It was not pretty and I learned a lot about the radio business as a whole a few stories I thought I knew but apparently didn't about his days at both stations. After that podcast I was so glad I turned off talk radio in this town years before. Use to drive me nuts when my one buddy turn to drive was as he'd have that crap on non stop and so would his dad. I always felt like a reasonable fan would run circles on these guys. It'd be interesting if one day a few of us called up to the station just to see how poor they'd handle actual knowledgeable fans acted. Because despite a lot of us disagreeing we all for the most part bring something different to the table in a good way. I know since posting more I've learned a lot more from many in just general NFL discussions 

Thats a concerning list. But at the same time Sanders was our only legit 3 down player. Wentz has Mobility at QB but shocked he was 2nd. Smallwood 3rd? Blount was a situation short yardage kill the clock when we have the lead, goal line back by that point. I remember when People wanted to trade Shady and make Sproles our main back but Sproles was never a 3 down back and more known for his pass catching and blocking. Ryan Mathews had a cup of coffee and was hurt. Clement could've been something but it looks like the injury he had was much worse. Ajayi came late in the season in 17 on deadline week so not shocked. Came back for a cup o coffee not anywhere near the guy he once was 

Overall thats a shocking list. I wouldn't saying embarrassing as a few decent players just guys not known as big time runners. 
I always got big Fred Taylor vibes from Ryan Matthews, he just could never stay healthy. 

Wendell was an underrated, tough inside runner. Couldn’t block or catch though. I remember being legit surprised every time he did manage to catch a ball. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. If they don’t have a plan to get a QB, we could be in for a rough few years. 

I wished Andy well when he left and I’ve been supporting him in the playoffs the last few years, but I don’t feel the same about Wentz. 

I’m not holding a grudge as such, but the responsibility he carries for both his poor play this year and the way he’s forced his way off the team means that while I’m not hoping to see him fail, I don’t care if he does fail either. 

I wished Andy well when he left and I’ve been supporting him in the playoffs the last few years, but I don’t feel the same about Wentz. 

I’m not holding a grudge as such, but the responsibility he carries for both his poor play this year and the way he’s forced his way off the team means that while I’m not hoping to see him fail, I don’t care if he does fail either. 
I'm so torn on if I want him to succeed of fail.  Failing means we made the right decision, but I've always liked Carson and despite some petty stuff in a couple months, he's been an all around great guy and great person for the team and community. 

I think for me it's the same as with Andy.  Once we win one, I'll be happy if he wins some.  But I would be bummed and the media would be ridiculous if Indy wins a SB in the next few years.

Users who are viewing this thread