Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official 2021 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** - Bad day to be a Brandon, good day to be Bart Scott’s eyebrow.

2nd from the Colts 

And 

Devonta Smith, perfectly healthy throughout college. Meets Eagles training staff for one week. MCL sprain. 

Edited by Insein
  • Laughing 2

I guess now we just concentrate on rooting against Miami every week. The worse they do, the better their pick is (that we already own) and without the Colts pick being a 1st rounder, we'll need 2 really high 1st rounders if we need to do anything next year if Hurts isn't the guy. 

So, looks like the foot was a ticking time bomb. Might have happened last season if he hadn't been benched...

@HolderStephen

Breaking: Frank Reich says Carson Wentz had an old foot injury dating back to perhaps high school according to doctors. Over time, the broken bone came loose and caused pain. The decision has been made to undergo surgery and remove it. 5-12 weeks.

• The Noid changed the title to 🦅Official 2021 Philadelphia Eagles Thread🦅 DeVonta Smith has MCL sprain, Wentz to miss 5-12 weeks; Eagles lose 2 first round picks in one day
1 hour ago, Insein said:

2nd from the Colts 

And 

Devonta Smith, perfectly healthy throughout college. Meets Eagles training staff for one week. MCL sprain. 

Of course. Its a rite of passage if you're an Eagles rookie WR to have an injury hamper your growing process.

2017 seems like 20 years ago. 

Are we turning into the Bills? 

I know we didn’t make multiple Super Bowls but throughout the 2000s we consistently made the post season. 

Wasn’t it bad draft picks and poor front office management that lead to the Bills being awful for 10+ seasons? Sounds like us right now. 

We might as well call Wentz a bust at this point. 

43 minutes ago, Gachi said:

I know we didn’t make multiple Super Bowls but throughout the 2000s we consistently made the post season. 

Wasn’t it bad draft picks and poor front office management that lead to the Bills being awful for 10+ seasons? Sounds like us right now. 

He wasn't a bust because he helped get us a Super Bowl. He has however broken down incredibly fast since then. Doesn't really matter anymore either way. 

It's the NFL so we're always only one good off-season away from being right back in it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Noid said:

Per Dr. Chao (the "Pro Football Doc"), surgery right away still puts him out for likely the first 5 games. 

Can't imagine the Colts wouldn't prefer him get the surgery. It puts the the issue behind him for sure (instead of "hoping" that rest works), they still have 12 games to play, and they get to keep their first round pick. 

That's what Scheftar and such reported initial he'd miss the first couple of weeks so I was going by that 

9 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

So a 2 it is 

there's 17 games so he has to play the rest of the way 70% and colts make the playoffs. Given their division they should be in the playoff hunt all year and with Carson out most likely fighting for a playoff spot the rest of the year when he comes back 

5 hours ago, Gachi said:

Before getting hurt Carson was a top 10 QB in the League and running away with the MVP. if it wasn't for Wentz's play in 2017 we don't make the SB. He wasn't a bust he broke down a lot but the Eagles didn't do enough to protect him either. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

there's 17 games so he has to play the rest of the way 70% and colts make the playoffs. Given their division they should be in the playoff hunt all year and with Carson out most likely fighting for a playoff spot the rest of the year when he comes back 

First 5 games for the Colts are brutal.

Colts are going to be 1-4, 2-3 at best.  That's  a death sentence.   A turnover prone qb coming back from a broken foot won't help them much.   Tennessee runs away with that division and 2 teams won't come from the afc south.

27 minutes ago, need2know said:

First 5 games for the Colts are brutal.

Colts are going to be 1-4, 2-3 at best.  That's  a death sentence.   A turnover prone qb coming back from a broken foot won't help them much.   Tennessee runs away with that division and 2 teams won't come from the afc south.

Hone Vs Rams - I award 4.5 yikes 

AT Titans - I award this start 5 Yikes

AT Dolphins - I award this start 3 Yikes because it’s a road game. Otherwise 2.5

AT Ravens. - that’s a 5-yike game if I ever seen one.

Texans = 1 Yike

then 49ers - hard to say. New DC, Bosa is X% recovered? I’ll go 3.5 Yikes (again, half for road game) 

That’s a 4.4 yikes average. 😳

Yikes.

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

8 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Hone Vs Rams - I award 4.5 yikes 

AT Titans - I award this start 5 Yikes

AT Dolphins - I award this start 3 Yikes because it’s a road game. Otherwise 2.5

AT Ravens. - that’s a 5-yike game if I ever seen one.

Texans = 1 Yike

then 49ers - hard to say. New DC, Bosa is X% recovered? I’ll go 3.5 Yikes (again, half for road game) 

That’s a 4.4 yikes average. 😳

Yikes.

Thanks for reinforcing my post.   Yikes

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, need2know said:

Thanks for reinforcing my post.   Yikes

Had to check when I read your post.

I'm starting to question whether I should draft anyone on the Colts. 

Because yikes. 

The most consistent story out of camp after a week: Andre Dillard stinks.

@BrandonGowton

Josh Sweat just flattened Andre Dillard into the ground. Eagles LT still having a lot of trouble anchoring against the bull rush.

• Sad 2

• The Noid changed the title to 🦅Official 2021 Philadelphia Eagles Thread🦅 Andre Dillard's camp is putting him on a path to be the new IHOP mascot

Really hoped Dillard would show something, the whole thing everyone said was he needed to work on strength and the bull rush. He did a ton of pass pro in college so he has the technique, but...  Mailata looking good is going to make up for that bust pick, but still a wasted 1st. How many high wasted picks do we have here....  This new Center better be awesome.

8 hours ago, GoBirds said:

If Foles has to come to Colts to step in for fragile Carson again OMG. :lmao:

Foles sucks now though. After what he said the other day if I was the league I'd drug test him. 

12 minutes ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

After reading Fulgham’s comments that god we got rid of Doug. 

Was just getting ready to post that. This alone was reason enough for firing not to mention all the other stuff. 

Basically confirming the only reason he got benched was because it was Alshons job. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/travis-fulgham-reflects-on-topsy-turvy-2020-season-explains-why-he-was-suddenly-removed-from-eagles-lineup/

Edited by Insein
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Insein said:

Was just getting ready to post that. This alone was reason enough for firing not to mention all the other stuff. 

Basically confirming the only reason he got benched was because it was Alshons job. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/travis-fulgham-reflects-on-topsy-turvy-2020-season-explains-why-he-was-suddenly-removed-from-eagles-lineup/

So much for that Howie was telling Doug who to play rumors 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

So much for that Howie was telling Doug who to play rumors 🤷‍♂️

People will still say this was Howie telling Doug to play the guy he overpaid. I see it as Doug catering to veterans again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Insein said:

People will still say this was Howie telling Doug to play the guy he overpaid. I see it as Doug catering to veterans again. 

I did too never believed the Howie was telling Doug to play them. More Doug was a players coach who catered more to HIS GUYS Veteran wise. 

3 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

I did too never believed the Howie was telling Doug to play them. More Doug was a players coach who catered more to HIS GUYS Veteran wise. 

Which sucked

3 hours ago, Deamon said:

Sounds like Watson to Philly is gaining some serious steam and might happen soon.

Or not...

@AaronWilson_NFL 11:55 PM · Aug 4, 2021

No trade imminent or developing at this time for Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, according to league sources. While there is interest and teams are conducting extensive due diligence, complex legal situation, no-trade clause are all difficult factors to work through still.

• Like 1

• The Noid changed the title to 🦅Official 2021 Philadelphia Eagles Thread🦅 Eagles-Watson replaces Ross-Rachel as all-time most annoying "will they/won't they" couple
4 minutes ago, The Noid said:

Or not...

@AaronWilson_NFL 11:55 PM · Aug 4, 2021

No trade imminent or developing at this time for Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, according to league sources. While there is interest and teams are conducting extensive due diligence, complex legal situation, no-trade clause are all difficult factors to work through still.

Lots of conflicting reports out there. Many other sources reporting that talks are heating up. We also just cleared enough cap space to take on his contract so we'll see. 

35 minutes ago, Deamon said:

It won't be for peanuts.

Yea that's what I'm hearing. Don't understand the benefit from our side. We're taking on a disgruntled player to begin with who has major off the field issues that could see him miss up to half a year due to suspension either this year or next year. For taking on the PR circus and the fact that Houston is in a no win position with the player anyway, we should be giving 1 first at most. 

6 minutes ago, Insein said:

Yea that's what I'm hearing. Don't understand the benefit from our side. We're taking on a disgruntled player to begin with who has major off the field issues that could see him miss up to half a year due to suspension either this year or next year. For taking on the PR circus and the fact that Houston is in a no win position with the player anyway, we should be giving 1 first at most. 

ya I don't love the idea.  This move could make or break Howie's legacy.

28 minutes ago, Insein said:

The PR circus could go away really quickly though, just like it did with Vick. 

I agree one 1st rounder should be enough given the situation, but I can certainly understand it from Roseman's point of view. Watson is the best young QB in the NFL after Mahomes, and would be the best QB the Eagles have had in at least 15 years(depending on your view of McNabb's peak) and arguably since peak Cunningham. If an elite QB can be acquired, Roseman likely buys himself 5+ years of job security. 

11 minutes ago, travdogg said:

The PR circus could go away really quickly though, just like it did with Vick. 

I agree one 1st rounder should be enough given the situation, but I can certainly understand it from Roseman's point of view. Watson is the best young QB in the NFL after Mahomes, and would be the best QB the Eagles have had in at least 15 years(depending on your view of McNabb's peak) and arguably since peak Cunningham. If an elite QB can be acquired, Roseman likely buys himself 5+ years of job security. 

Yea I get the upside but that seems like 2 years away from seeing returns. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Insein said:

Yea I get the upside but that seems like 2 years away from seeing returns. 

What if he plays most of this year?

Devonta Smith and the Eagles draft curse - Football Outsiders

Didn't need the reminder. 😟

There are more recent draft busts, near-busts, or injury cases at other position groups. At left tackle, 2019 first-round pick Andre Dillard is in the process of losing his job to Australian behemoth Jordan Mailata. Center Landon Dickerson, this year's second-round pick, is still on the mend (not unexpectedly) from the ACL tear he suffered at the end of last season. Linebacker Davion Taylor, last year's third-round pick, left the field on Tuesday with a quad injury. Throw in the guys who aren't even around anymore (Sidney Jones, You Know Who) and the Eagles have very little to show on the field right now for the top three rounds of their drafts dating all the way back to 2014. There's Hurts, of course, running back Miles Sanders, sturdy guard Isaac Seumalo, defensive end Derek Barnett (having a strong camp), some prospects such as Dillard who are maxing out as just another guy, plus the 2020/2021 receivers. That's it. There's no young core, just a dusting of hopefuls atop a thick permafrost of aging veterans.

It's fashionable in Philly to blame Howie Roseman for the last half-decade of unproductive drafts. It's also fashionable to assume that Joe Douglas was a scouting wizard even though he had a heavy hand in all the drafts up to 2018. And to forget that Roseman ran the 2013 draft that brought Lane Johnson and Zach Ertz, and the 2012 draft that brought Fletcher Cox and others. Also, the Hurts selection looks rather shrewd at this precise moment in history. Roseman has made a variety of roster mistakes in recent years, but the Eagles have also suffered some miserable injury luck among their early draft picks. Successful as it was in 2017, the previous regime also didn't do a very good job developing young talent, either. At least some later-round picks from recent years have been impressive so far: Mailata, Watkins, defensive end Josh Sweat, and McPhearson, a rookie fourth-round pick from Texas Tech who gets an incredible break on the football and broke up multiple passes during my visit.

Edited by Maggot Brain

1 hour ago, need2know said:

What's considered most? And if he does play this year but then has to sit 8 games next year, does that really help us?

• Like 1

I think this is the Texans floating stuff out there, nothing more. Unless is was so super cheap (which it won't) I can't see a team dumb enough to take that contract and the *ahem* other baggage. 

You tell me a second round pick, I do the deal right now, baggage be damned. But we all know it will take much, much more than that.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Deamon said:

Lots of conflicting reports out there. Many other sources reporting that talks are heating up. We also just cleared enough cap space to take on his contract so we'll see. 

We also could be clearing cap space for a Mailata and/or Sweat extension

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Deamon said:

Sounds like Watson to Philly is gaining some serious steam and might happen soon.

It's not HOU is desperate to get a big gain now. They see the writing on the wall. Even if Watson is cleared he is not worth the kings ransom anymore that he was before any of the allegations. 3 more women stepped up last night with criminal suits now pressing charges. The Texans leaked this info because WE The Eagles have the assets to pull it off. However financially at this moment for 22' season the cap for us and Watson doesn't work at all. 

Gut feeling is this whole thing with Watson will continue into next offseason. My other gut feeling is he not only gets suspended but I can see some time in the box for Watson. 

Even if Watson does get cleared the fact 20 something women came forward with the same story, where in this day and age it's hard to get 2 people to keep the same story plus 3 or so other women pressing charges of the same stories doesn't go well for this guys future. if he doesn't get discipline now he will down the line. What team wants to take that chance? 

10 hours ago, Insein said:

Unless it's for peanuts, do not want the Watson headache. Both off the field and on the team. 

I don't want him near the team at all. If he plays I won't even post what I hope happens as it could lead me to getting into timeout. That how hard I believe in this right now. It was hard enough rooting for Vick but a guy Sexually assaulting women? I'm sorry I might have to turn in my fan card.

4 hours ago, need2know said:

The only reason I see him playing this year or most of it is because I think this whole thing goes into next offseason too. 

1 hour ago, DJackson10 said:

I don't want him near the team at all. If he plays I won't even post what I hope happens as it could lead me to getting into timeout. That how hard I believe in this right now. It was hard enough rooting for Vick but a guy Sexually assaulting women? I'm sorry I might have to turn in my fan card.

I have a tough time wishing for or cheering the success of someone who seems like an awful human being.  What Vick did was horrible and so is this.  I've been a fan for 30 years and I'm not going to quit, but I would definitely be less engaged with the team and any success they had with with Watson at QB would be tainted to me.

That said, I do think it's highly unlikely this happens

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, need2know said:

Been following this guy since the draft process started.  The comparisons referencing Aaron Donald's athleticism perked my ears.  Got him in several dynasty IDP and looking forward to his progress.  Maybe....just maybe...we got us a good one here

13 minutes ago, Maggot Brain said:

Been following this guy since the draft process started.  The comparisons referencing Aaron Donald's athleticism perked my ears.  Got him in several dynasty IDP and looking forward to his progress.  Maybe....just maybe...we got us a good one here

Tom Donahue isn't going to fist bump you over it though.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

13 minutes ago, Insein said:

Tom Donahue isn't going to fist bump you over it though.

Yes, I remember his seeming displeasure with the pick while others celebrated.

4 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Doug Pederson was at Bears camp today decked out in Bears gear. He spent his time talking with Andy Dalton, Justin Fields and Nick Foles.

Yes it was interesting. Guess he's still buddies with Nagy and Matt's allowing him to scratch that coaching itch. 

• The Noid changed the title to ***Official 2021 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** - Forget Gamestop and AMC, get your Jalen Hurts stonk now. Jersey sales up 500%!
  • The Noid changed the title to ***Official 2021 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** - Bad day to be a Brandon, good day to be Bart Scott’s eyebrow.