What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (5 Viewers)

I hate the fact that almost every mock draft has Surtain going to the Cowboys.

I'm also not crazy about the fact that the Surtain, Horn and Samuel I watched have children old enough to be drafted. :(
Not sure how Old you are but I'm 32 and this makes me feel old. The worst is when you start seeing guys you've followed since you started HS retiring now. 

cannot believe anyone still thinks he should be on an nfl roster
The team really liked him at least the old regime did and he did have a good WAS game the season before where Nelly accidentally tried giving Suddy's first career TD pass away to an Eagles fan in the stands at FEDEX Field. Last game was just so bad with so many players injured. Everyone sucked that game too more then anything. Hurts COMP % and QBR was worse that game then anything Wentz put up in his 5 seasons here so you know it was a poor game all around. I think the team at that point was checked out for the season. 

Surtain has been the consistent #1 in SEC for the last two years. Thats why when Kyle Pitts destroyed him two plays it was pretty wild. Here's a guy who's the conferences best CB and the #1 TE in the conference just obliterated him on 2 plays. Then again I'd like to see anyone thats great cover Pitts in college and not look silly though. 
2 plays and obliterated? I know you’re a Florida homer but man :lmao:

I'll trade places with you in a heartbeat.  For me, the worst is when you start seeing guys die that you followed throughout their career. 
Deal with this unfortunately in wrestling all too much because of substance abuse or freak accidents. Brodie Lee hit pretty hard because I saw that guy wrestle when I was in HS and followed him until his death. A few ECW guys too. Randy Savage dying was pretty bad too as I was a bigger Macho Man then Hogan fan. 

Deal with this unfortunately in wrestling all too much because of substance abuse or freak accidents. Brodie Lee hit pretty hard because I saw that guy wrestle when I was in HS and followed him until his death. A few ECW guys too. Randy Savage dying was pretty bad too as I was a bigger Macho Man then Hogan fan. 
I was in Ky a couple of years ago and stopped in Frankfort to see Daniel Boone’s grave.  Later I realized wrestling personality Elizabeth Hullett is buried there.  Wasn’t she married to Macho Man?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Ky a couple of years ago and stopped in Frankfort to see Daniel Boone’s grave.  Later I realized wrestling personality Elizabeth Hullett is buried there.  Wasn’t she married to Macho Man?
Yep. If it's the same one but that is the last name. Wrestling from the 70's and the 80's did not lead to long lives. 

Yes they divorced in 97. She was partnered with Lex Luger for 4 yrs and with Lex when she died. Savage and some others have blamed Lex for her Accidental OD death 

Wait, the CB Horn is Joe Horn's kid? Didnt realize that - yea wil, I remember following Surtain and Horn as players.  Wild.
Besides the 3 CBs in this draft class that are sons of NFL players (Samuel, Surtain, Horn), there's also Chris Spielman's nephew (J.D. Spielman, WR) and Wyatt Davis (OL), the grandson of HOF'er Willie Davis.

Just read it on CBS. Is there more detail on the Athletic version because what's on CBS is the same things we've heard for years. This didn't add any specific sources. Just more of the same speculation that "Roseman is a paranoid control freak" and Lurie is a meddlesome owner. No named sources. Going through phones is a new wrinkle though. I'd think that could be easily verified by former employees. These reporters need to get out there and get some named sources of things are this bad. 

Just read it on CBS. Is there more detail on the Athletic version because what's on CBS is the same things we've heard for years. This didn't add any specific sources. Just more of the same speculation that "Roseman is a paranoid control freak" and Lurie is a meddlesome owner. No named sources. Going through phones is a new wrinkle though. I'd think that could be easily verified by former employees. These reporters need to get out there and get some named sources of things are this bad. 
From the article:

Over the past two months, The Athletic spoke to current and former Eagles staffers representing a cross-section of departments and viewpoints about the inner workings of the franchise. They were granted anonymity to be allowed to speak freely about sensitive topics, describing an environment characterized by second-guessing, paranoia and a lack of transparency.

Good reporting from trusted writers doesn't need named sources. The integrity of reporting means they have vetted the sources and they are legit. Especially if you want to get the real scoop on things, these types of anonymous sources are just as good as named sources. And, like any good reporting, Pederson, Lurie, and Roseman were all given a chance to respond and participate in the story. They all declined.

It's pretty unlikely all 3 writers of the article (2 current and 1 former beats) and the Athletic itself, would put their careers and reputations on the line by using bad, or made up, sources. 

From the article:

Over the past two months, The Athletic spoke to current and former Eagles staffers representing a cross-section of departments and viewpoints about the inner workings of the franchise. They were granted anonymity to be allowed to speak freely about sensitive topics, describing an environment characterized by second-guessing, paranoia and a lack of transparency.

Good reporting from trusted writers doesn't need named sources. The integrity of reporting means they have vetted the sources and they are legit. Especially if you want to get the real scoop on things, these types of anonymous sources are just as good as named sources. And, like any good reporting, Pederson, Lurie, and Roseman were all given a chance to respond and participate in the story. They all declined.

It's pretty unlikely all 3 writers of the article (2 current and 1 former beats) and the Athletic itself, would put their careers and reputations on the line by using bad, or made up, sources. 
Would be nice to get someone on record saying these things. We've been hearing these rumors for years. Someone needs to confirm.

Would be nice to get someone on record saying these things. We've been hearing these rumors for years. Someone needs to confirm.
It doesn't change it being true, though. Quality journalism is trusting editors verify who the source is, and that they said what they said, if they want to remain anonymous.

On at least one occasion, according to a source, Roseman tasked an employee with combing through phone records in search of a leak’s origin.

versus

On at least one occasion, according to Communications Manager Jane Doe, Roseman tasked an employee with combing through phone records in search of a leak’s origin.

One isn't more "true" than the other if you trust the reporting.

I think we're long past the point of any of this being rumors or unsubstantiated. The organization is a hot mess. 

And ironically even after many are gone either to other teams or out of the league entirely, you never hear one come close to confirming this. 

It doesn't change it being true, though. Quality journalism is trusting editors verify who the source is, and that they said what they said, if they want to remain anonymous.

On at least one occasion, according to a source, Roseman tasked an employee with combing through phone records in search of a leak’s origin.

versus

On at least one occasion, according to Communications Manager Jane Doe, Roseman tasked an employee with combing through phone records in search of a leak’s origin.

I think we're long past the point of any of this being rumors or unsubstantiated. The organization is hot mess. 
But only one gets the ball rolling towards change. Anonymous sources are more easily dismissed by Lurie and Roseman as they go on their hunt for who it is. If it's a former employee with clout in the league that they can't just shut up or threaten, then it will bring the heat onto Roseman and Lurie. Right now they will just ignore it like they always do and let it pass in the news cycle.

versus

I think we're long past the point of any of this being rumors or unsubstantiated. The organization is hot mess. 
I disagree. Someone who you know is in the know versus someone you can’t verify is a big difference. People repeat things and who knows of what they’re repeating is the truth or simply their version of the truth. 

When you look at other “hot mess” teams you ALWAYS have a face to the name supporting their story. I can’t recall one person, player or otherwise who left and confirmed any of this ever. 

But only one gets the ball rolling towards change. Anonymous sources are more easily dismissed by Lurie and Roseman as they go on their hunt for who it is. If it's a former employee with clout in the league that they can't just shut up or threaten, then it will bring the heat onto Roseman and Lurie. Right now they will just ignore it like they always do and let it pass in the news cycle.
And look, when you have higher level meetings there’s not 20-30 people there. You’ll have department heads or people who work in that field or subject. They wouldn’t have to look far for the “leak”...

And once they confirm it, they'll never work in the NFL again. Blackballed as someone who leaks info.
There’s many who have worked here and left to do TV and never came close to agreeing with what’s reported here. Look at Banner for instance. He gives experience and what he’s heard and never once has he let on these things are true. Riddick was another and I’m sure here’s plenty I’m forgetting about. 

It’s the same group of reporters over and over. The main one is one that is very well known for making things up and he’s been doing it for years now. If you’re willing to lie about a picture or “shrine” even when people can see for themselves there just no bounds to what you’ll lie about. These stories get the clicks.  Maybe it’s true or maybe it’s not but I’m with @Insein in that I can’t buy in until someone, anyone agrees who is in the know. 

There’s many who have worked here and left to do TV and never came close to agreeing with what’s reported here. Look at Banner for instance. He gives experience and what he’s heard and never once has he let on these things are true. Riddick was another and I’m sure here’s plenty I’m forgetting about. 

It’s the same group of reporters over and over. The main one is one that is very well known for making things up and he’s been doing it for years now. If you’re willing to lie about a picture or “shrine” even when people can see for themselves there just no bounds to what you’ll lie about. These stories get the clicks.  Maybe it’s true or maybe it’s not but I’m with @Insein in that I can’t buy in until someone, anyone agrees who is in the know. 
It's just a microcosm of media in general these days. Reporters look to create a story all too often.  Unless there is a named source willing to put their reputation on the line, I'll remain skeptical.

It's just a microcosm of media in general these days. Reporters look to create a story all too often.  Unless there is a named source willing to put their reputation on the line, I'll remain skeptical.
Agreed. There’s just too much there for me to believe otherwise. You have known story tellers doing something for clicks. As long as a good story generates clicks and gets your to to pay for a site etc you have to take it with a grain of salt. 

Besides the 3 CBs in this draft class that are sons of NFL players (Samuel, Surtain, Horn), there's also Chris Spielman's nephew (J.D. Spielman, WR) and Wyatt Davis (OL), the grandson of HOF'er Willie Davis.
I want them to draft Chris' nephew for Sh*** and giggles since Chris hates us so much. That would be awkward. but then I remembered Spielman took a special assistant job to the GM in Detroit 

Why would a source who still wants to work in the league go on the record though?  The stuff about Roseman keeping his own draft board and freelancing totally fits.

way more detail. It confirms some of the stuff I had heard from people already

* It first goes into the Tues meetings they never had with Reid. Basically it just confirms that they never trusted Doug and he was never their top guy like they said. Talked how Lurie was too loyal to certain coaches. 

* They go into detail on Lurie and how he is very involved and has final say. One interesting thing is he's a draft nut. He watches and attends every prospect bowl game and even watches the Tape of the Tokyo Bowl (Japanese American Football title game) and if he gets an invite by Roseman to go to a pro day or something he goes. They talk about how great of a person Lurie is and how he's very heavy in analytics which is why the Tues meetings happen. Most of the sources agree his biggest weakness is Howie Rosman friendship

* With Roseman they talk how he's paranoid about how people see him outside of the Facility in public. He's threatened to search employees phones and have someone look through call data to see where leaks coming from as he wants to control who leaks go to and when. Article states though this isn't uncommon behavior from GM. Also talked how Howie is a good 1 on 1 communicator but football people or analytic people get confused when a transaction is made and contradicts with what they talked about. Other issues were how he was too friendly with his favorite players namely Cox and Carson Wentz. 

For me there seems to be a problem with Micromanaging by some here. Also Howie has apparently fell into old habits in terms of social interaction that he said he genuinely learned from to correct when he was banished for a year. 

* Speaking of favorite players. Wentz was said to realize he was way smarter than most of the coaches. He would call plays at the line which confused guys. Doug and the coaching staff tried to even out the playing field allowing Carson more control while trying to real him in when certain players were getting confused. 

It definitely has some interesting stuff too it. I trust Sheil, Bo and Zach any day over a lot of these other writers. Tim McManus is good for ESPN and I like Sal Pal but he tends to stroke the teams ego more then anything. If this article was written by Jeff McLane with a lot of stuff I'd call BS but Some of this I've heard from people myself I know especially the fact I posted about Lurie having more power then he says back in January and them not trusting Doug. Now this doesn't mean it's made up or true either way. Just I don't think these 3 writers would stick their necks out like this and risk their careers if what they wrote wasn't true. Like I stated I've heard a few of these things myself. Some of these things are more in depth than what I had gotten. 

Most sources won't come out in name. Those who do usually are disgruntle former employees. Really the only one who's had a true vendetta with the ORG since leaving is Former Scout Louis Riddick but he deserved his firing. He apparently messed up a scouting report that ended up the team drafting the wrong player. He tried blaming another scout or coworker (Can't remember exactly how this occurred) for the mess up and wasn't accountable for his own actions. So Lurie Fired him on the spot. 

One of the main things is why you won't get named sources is just from what I've heard is despite having a bad time working with the team, respect is never lost between employees and Jeffrey Lurie. Even when he's disagreeing with you he's incredible respectful of that person's opinion no matter how asinine it might be. The article states also that Lurie and Pederson have no vendetta against one another and do still respect each other a ton. I've said this for weeks now though, but if you are looking for Doug Pederson to dish out some juicy negative info on his time with the Eagles you are gonna wait a very long time. it's not gonna happen. Neither from Lurie or Roseman. Despite any animosity there was still mutual respect in a friendship there. To them it was as simple as we disagree as work colleagues lets not let this ruin our friendship.

I get wanting named sources and a lot of people like that but in this league it's not gonna happen nor this organization. it just goes to tell you despite the turmoil even if most of it is true they have too much respect out of work to drag former bosses or coworkers names through the mud. And that says a lot about Jeffrey Lurie the Person   

Yup. Just read this. We're a disfunction iceberg. Tons of beneath-the-surface stuff that's even worse than the stuff we can see. 

BGN has some snippets here, if you don't have a subscription to the Athletic.
Starting with how the Eagles’ championship success has been viewed as more of catching lightning in a bottle than being an extremely deserved result: 

How many times have I said this one especially the lightening in a bottle? 

Also I found this one interesting about wanting certain players playing time

Roseman is known to keep his own draft board, and scouts who spend months on the road evaluating players can feel marginalized when the rankings they’ve helped assemble are not followed. One source described Roseman pushing an assistant coach to give playing time to a recent draft pick while the assistant balanced conflicting recommendations from senior members of the coaching staff. Lurie, who regularly attends practice, inquired about a reserve’s playing time. There’s been confusion about why certain players were active and others were inactive on game days, with speculation centered on Roseman’s outsized influence on the game-day roster.

Most sources won't come out in name. Those who do usually are disgruntle former employees. Really the only one who's had a true vendetta with the ORG since leaving is Former Scout Louis Riddick but he deserved his firing. He apparently messed up a scouting report that ended up the team drafting the wrong player. He tried blaming another scout or coworker (Can't remember exactly how this occurred) for the mess up and wasn't accountable for his own actions. So Lurie Fired him on the spot. 

One of the main things is why you won't get named sources is just from what I've heard is despite having a bad time working with the team, respect is never lost between employees and Jeffrey Lurie. Even when he's disagreeing with you he's incredible respectful of that person's opinion no matter how asinine it might be. The article states also that Lurie and Pederson have no vendetta against one another and do still respect each other a ton. I've said this for weeks now though, but if you are looking for Doug Pederson to dish out some juicy negative info on his time with the Eagles you are gonna wait a very long time. it's not gonna happen. Neither from Lurie or Roseman. Despite any animosity there was still mutual respect in a friendship there. To them it was as simple as we disagree as work colleagues lets not let this ruin our friendship.

I get wanting named sources and a lot of people like that but in this league it's not gonna happen nor this organization. it just goes to tell you despite the turmoil even if most of it is true they have too much respect out of work to drag former bosses or coworkers names through the mud. And that says a lot about Jeffrey Lurie the Person   
That's all well and good but if this is truly happening, it's never going to change without someone coming forward and calling them out. We will have Howie Roseman as GM for the next 20 years. All this article does is make people depressed. There's nothing to be taken away from it otherwise.

Just I don't think these 3 writers would stick their necks out like this and risk their careers if what they wrote wasn't true. Like I stated I've heard a few of these things myself. Some of these things are more in depth than what I had gotten. 
If you listen to the Birds with Friends podcast, Zach Berman is such a rule following, honest to a fault dork, if he put his name to it, then I believe it's true.  I trust the other two as well, but Berman in particular just seems like someone with a heap of personal integrity.

That's all well and good but if this is truly happening, it's never going to change without someone coming forward and calling them out. We will have Howie Roseman as GM for the next 20 years. All this article does is make people depressed. There's nothing to be taken away from it otherwise.
What does the person doing that have to gain though?  The most likely outcome is that they are marginalised or fired outright at a high personal cost and things continue as they are.  It kind of puts the "GM factory" stuff in a different light though.  Maybe everybody good in the front office wants to leave, rather than rock the boat and pay the price.

What does the person doing that have to gain though?  The most likely outcome is that they are marginalised or fired outright at a high personal cost and things continue as they are.  It kind of puts the "GM factory" stuff in a different light though.  Maybe everybody good in the front office wants to leave, rather than rock the boat and pay the price.
They won’t have or need anything to “gain”. I’m sure if these guys come from such a terrible place they’d be asked about the environment. There would be “sources” all over the league who could confirm what’s being said, yet there’s none. Ever. 

All this sounds like to me is that these guys all have the same “source” and some or most of what’s being reported seems like reading the tea leaves more than anything. 

“They didn’t have confidence in Doug”

”They are too loyal”

Uh, duh, ya think?

I can’t find my post but right before Doug was fired I said after they fire him, they’ll go after the GM and after he’s fired they’ll go after the owner until the coach starts to #### the bed. 

They won’t have or need anything to “gain”. I’m sure if these guys come from such a terrible place they’d be asked about the environment. There would be “sources” all over the league who could confirm what’s being said, yet there’s none. Ever. 

All this sounds like to me is that these guys all have the same “source” and some or most of what’s being reported seems like reading the tea leaves more than anything. 

“They didn’t have confidence in Doug”

”They are too loyal”

Uh, duh, ya think?

I can’t find my post but right before Doug was fired I said after they fire him, they’ll go after the GM and after he’s fired they’ll go after the owner until the coach starts to #### the bed. 
IMHO, it’s all the GM now. If you want to blame Lurie for keeping him that’s fair. You see the history with the coaches and players crap on him a lot as well. There’s stuff you can point directly to with him in just about every way. 

But that *is* where this comes from.  "Current and former Eagles staffers from a cross section of departments", it says right there in the article.

And this is the kind of stuff we've been hearing about the workings of the org over the last couple of years.

But that *is* where this comes from.  "Current and former Eagles staffers from a cross section of departments", it says right there in the article.

And this is the kind of stuff we've been hearing about the workings of the org over the last couple of years.
That’s a very broad statement in my opinion. The former staffers, how many? Why are they former? Fired with an axe to grind? This is EXACTLY why a name is important. If Press Taylor talks about how much it sucks here versus Frank Reich that’s a big difference in circumstances right?

”From a cross section of departments” = people who more than likely are not in the know and wouldn’t be in high-level meetings. That read 100% like office gossip to me. 

That’s a very broad statement in my opinion. The former staffers, how many? Why are they former? Fired with an axe to grind? This is EXACTLY why a name is important. If Press Taylor talks about how much it sucks here versus Frank Reich that’s a big difference in circumstances right?

”From a cross section of departments” = people who more than likely are not in the know and wouldn’t be in high-level meetings. That read 100% like office gossip to me. 
That's why people carefully vet sources and what is given to them. I go back to to my wrestling sources when talking about these things and there's certain guys I talk too I won't pass out what is given by them because I know some of it has a hidden agenda depending on issue and topic. They are good for other things but that particular thing you just say thanks and move on. Know who your sources are. tHere use to be a wrestling dirt guy named Brad Sheppard (ODDLY enough Bleacher report has a college football guy of the same name). He had some sources but you could tell some of his info was agenda based and fit an agenda he had. I shared a few legit stories with him he actually wanted to confirm with others before publicly coming out but never would and I'd see him report stuff he'd barely vet. He reminded me of a Jon Heyman. A guy who takes what's given and reports it right then and there rather then seeing what other sources have first. Over the Years player agents and teams have used him as a mouth piece as they know he just reports whenever sources he gets. 

However in this case the 3 writers in question don't have an agenda and will not report something they don't feel comfortable with. There's a reason why certain journalists and insiders are world class and others aren't that good and wannabes. Good to great people at their job source their info given, where amateurs just report what they get or report with an agenda. 

However in this case the 3 writers in question don't have an agenda and will not report something they don't feel comfortable with. There's a reason why certain journalists and insiders are world class and others aren't that good and wannabes. Good to great people at their job source their info given, where amateurs just report what they get or report with an agenda. 
Writing for a site that requires you to pay or for clicks is the only motivation ($$) that’s needed. Especially when all you’re doing parroting what’s been said by a known tabloid journalist. 

Without this “story” there is literally NOTHING for them to get you to read after the trade back. This keeps the clicking coming. 

Hes been done for years
Yep. It’s such a bad look when the guy says no one wanted him and he thought his career was over and we bring him in. It’s nearly identical to what we did with Peters last season. No one wanted him at all and we sign him and play him over Mailata 

Bigboy10182000 said:
Yep. It’s such a bad look when the guy says no one wanted him and he thought his career was over and we bring him in. It’s nearly identical to what we did with Peters last season. No one wanted him at all and we sign him and play him over Mailata 
That's the worst part. Guess we'll find out if it was Doug or Howie on that. If we see Howard getting 10+ carries a game with Sanders suffering because of it, we'll know its Howie. 

Users who are viewing this thread