What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Philadelphia Eagles - Queued up a playlist of our greatest zits throughout the season for final game (3 Viewers)

What had he done well to justify being a HC? 
The RBs always seem to do well even though they're barely used. Sanders averaged 5.3 ypc and Scott averaged 4.7 ypc. For a backup player like Scott to produce that well, he's teaching them something. I'd like to see him as an OC FIRST but Doug never gave him the chance.  

The RBs always seem to do well even though they're barely used. Sanders averaged 5.3 ypc and Scott averaged 4.7 ypc. For a backup player like Scott to produce that well, he's teaching them something. I'd like to see him as an OC FIRST but Doug never gave him the chance.  
Yeah that’s kind of what I was driving at. Personally I’d prefer he go grow somewhere else. He could be good but I don’t know if the experiance or timing is right here. HC’s have to know every position in the field and I’m not sure he does yet. When you compare his resume to like an Arthur Smith (coached defense, OL, TE’s and now calls plays) it’s hard to see why someone would give Duce such a prominent role. 

Yeah that’s kind of what I was driving at. Personally I’d prefer he go grow somewhere else. He could be good but I don’t know if the experiance or timing is right here. HC’s have to know every position in the field and I’m not sure he does yet. When you compare his resume to like an Arthur Smith (coached defense, OL, TE’s and now calls plays) it’s hard to see why someone would give Duce such a prominent role. 
True. The players do respect him though.

i agree. i dont want a rookie head coach unless its a great HC coming from college.  duce has never been a head coach at any level. never even been the OC.   not saying he cant do it, but thats a bit too much of a jump for me

True. The players do respect him though.
Yep and that’s a good start. Maybe someone keeps him on here and get can continue to gain experiance. 

The more im reading I’m starting to think Smith may be their target. Outside of the obvious he has coached multiple positions, coached in Tennessee under 4 different HC’s (they must have seen value), should have a lot of connections and is a young offensive mind who runs a balanced attack which we will need. He should also be able to take some position coaches with him from Tennessee as well. 

What had he done well to justify being a HC? 
My take on Duce: look at how we (and other teams' fans) are drooling over poaching potential head coaches that are on the staffs of other teams. Is ANYONE in the NFL looking at Duce as a potential HC candidate, now or in the past, other than us? That might be telling.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Duce, gotta remind you guys, Reid went from QB coach to head coach and did pretty well. Several players have publicly thrown their support behind him too, he has their respect. As long as he doesn't want to call his own plays and gets a legit OC, I'm onboard. I'm always leery of college coaches making the switch. Handling18-21 year old school kids and 22-30+ millionaires is a big difference.

April, 2021: DeVonta Smith goes #5, Philly drafts some DL/OL most had going in the 10-15 range at #6.

January, 2023: After 2 seasons it's clear that the pick at #6 is a bust and 4 of the 10 picks after him are already blue chip players.

January, 2024: After firing Doug Pederson's successor following 3 seasons with 7 wins or less, Lurie promotes Howie to Supreme Senior Mega President of Football Operations, saying Howie would have taken DeVonta at #6 so it proves he knows talent, but it's not his fault the Bengals took him before our pick. 

Chargers are a nice option until you realize there's really no fanbase, you gotta deal with wildfires and earthquakes, Media seems out of it on Football at times and they have No Offensive line. They got some nice pieces but I don't know why anyone would chose LA unless they want to walk around like their sh** don't smell like MR Hollywood with a media who really doesn't care more a great fanbase in terms of enthusiasm. 
You think people in LA “deal with wildfires and earthquakes” in their everyday life?😂 They deal with beautiful ocean views, 72 degree temps and tons of sunshine. You make a very unrealistic argument on where people prefer to work, especially when you offer up the sub freezing temperatures, snow, snow and more snow, filthy subways and angry bitter fans (as well as some great ones) of Philly. 
The Chargers job is the cat daddy of openings I assure you.

On Duce, gotta remind you guys, Reid went from QB coach to head coach and did pretty well. Several players have publicly thrown their support behind him too, he has their respect. As long as he doesn't want to call his own plays and gets a legit OC, I'm onboard. I'm always leery of college coaches making the switch. Handling18-21 year old school kids and 22-30+ millionaires is a big difference.
Andy coached OL, TE’s, QB’s and was an assistant HC and had 17 years experiance before being a HC here. 

Unrelated, but I had a 100 degree fever the last few days and this forum update really confused me. Does everyone have the top posters thing on the ight hand side, and does anyone know how to get rid of it?

You think people in LA “deal with wildfires and earthquakes” in their everyday life?😂 They deal with beautiful ocean views, 72 degree temps and tons of sunshine. You make a very unrealistic argument on where people prefer to work, especially when you offer up the sub freezing temperatures, snow, snow and more snow, filthy subways and angry bitter fans (as well as some great ones) of Philly. 
I don’t agree with his take on the natural disaster aspect but your “subway” take is even worse.  It’s not the “cat daddy” either. I’m sure MANY coaches want to work in a city that packs a stadium on game day. Maybe they won’t want the media that teams in the north east deal with if that’s what you mean. 

Many coaches here stay in the suburbs and the commute is nothing when they arrive. 

Have you ever been to LA? You’ll struggle to find worse traffic in the entire country than you will there if that’s an issue. Pretty sure their taxes are amongst the worst as well. 

Andy coached OL, TE’s, QB’s and was an assistant HC and had 17 years experiance before being a HC here. 
Years experience is fair. Duce has been assistant HC for the past 3 seasons. Just saying, at the time I don't believe anyone had Andy on their radar as a HC. Personally, I think a HC should be like a manager/director/etc. They oversee everything and the main quality they need to have is getting people to work hard for them and recognizing talent and surrounding themselves with that talent. Doug had had the first part down, it was the second that killed him, ie. Press Taylor. Based on what guys like Jenkins, McLeod and Chris Long are saying, Duce has the first as well. If he can put together a good supporting cast of coaches, I don't see a problem with it.

Years experience is fair. Duce has been assistant HC for the past 3 seasons. Just saying, at the time I don't believe anyone had Andy on their radar as a HC. Personally, I think a HC should be like a manager/director/etc. They oversee everything and the main quality they need to have is getting people to work hard for them and recognizing talent and surrounding themselves with that talent. Doug had had the first part down, it was the second that killed him, ie. Press Taylor. Based on what guys like Jenkins, McLeod and Chris Long are saying, Duce has the first as well. If he can put together a good supporting cast of coaches, I don't see a problem with it.
Yeah I think that’s the issue. On top of players you have to be able to evaluate coaches as well and understanding all positions helps that. I think that’s what makes Andy great. He knows good coaches when he sees them because he understands all aspects of the game. For all I know Duce does as well but I don’t have that knowledge today obviously 

Eagles have requested permission to interview 49ers' DC Robert Saleh, per @AdamSchefter 

And Rapsheet:

As the #Jets narrow their list of head coaching candidates, they are flying in #49ers DC Robert Saleh for a second interview today, per me and @MikeGarafolo. The first known finalist for the NYJ job, and there will be others likely in person, as well.

Yeah I think that’s the issue. On top of players you have to be able to evaluate coaches as well and understanding all positions helps that. I think that’s what makes Andy great. He knows good coaches when he sees them because he understands all aspects of the game. For all I know Duce does as well but I don’t have that knowledge today obviously 
I think that's true of most candidates. I never understood the way coaches are picked. Every year the hot OC is next in line to be a HC. Just because they're good at designing and calling plays, doesn't mean they'll make a good HC. How many times do we see them fail spectacularly? Seems like there's just a bad process in the NFL for selecting head coaches.

I don’t agree with his take on the natural disaster aspect but your “subway” take is even worse.  It’s not the “cat daddy” either. I’m sure MANY coaches want to work in a city that packs a stadium on game day. Maybe they won’t want the media that teams in the north east deal with if that’s what you mean. 

Many coaches here stay in the suburbs and the commute is nothing when they arrive. 

Have you ever been to LA? You’ll struggle to find worse traffic in the entire country than you will there if that’s an issue. Pretty sure their taxes are amongst the worst as well. 
California taxes and political situation is also a nightmare.   You gonna pay for that sunshine 

I think that's true of most candidates. I never understood the way coaches are picked. Every year the hot OC is next in line to be a HC. Just because they're good at designing and calling plays, doesn't mean they'll make a good HC. How many times do we see them fail spectacularly? Seems like there's just a bad process in the NFL for selecting head coaches.
Adam gase

Yep and as fans we can only see so much which is mainly stats. I’ve been watching a lot more interviews of guys this time around but without being behind the scenes we are all guessing. 

I’m basing it being the top destination also on Herbert, Keenan, Derwin James, Bosa, Ekeler solid LB crew, etc. 
As far as the Eagles, I know you are well aware of the control issues of upper management and the fight over which underachieving QB is going to start. That definitely is a turn off to potential coaching options. And yes, the media and a lot of fans (see in this thread) in that town are relentlessly unappreciative of any thing a coach does. They helped run a Super Bowl winning one out of town (and maybe it was time) but what do you think they will do when the next Vince Lombardi comes in and goes 7-9 two seasons in a row? My opinion is that head coaches are not kicking down Howie the Greats door to lay in that guillotine. Maybe change is coming? Lurie is a helluva good owner, maybe he gives a coach total control and gets the right guy. The players deserve it and so do the fans.

I’m basing it being the top destination also on Herbert, Keenan, Derwin James, Bosa, Ekeler solid LB crew, etc. 
As far as the Eagles, I know you are well aware of the control issues of upper management and the fight over which underachieving QB is going to start. That definitely is a turn off to potential coaching options. And yes, the media and a lot of fans (see in this thread) in that town are relentlessly unappreciative of any thing a coach does. They helped run a Super Bowl winning one out of town (and maybe it was time) but what do you think they will do when the next Vince Lombardi comes in and goes 7-9 two seasons in a row? My opinion is that head coaches are not kicking down Howie the Greats door to lay in that guillotine. Maybe change is coming? Lurie is a helluva good owner, maybe he gives a coach total control and gets the right guy. The players deserve it and so do the fans.
You based it on much more than the talent you now mention. 

Not aware of any upper management issues with which QB to start. There was a time that maybe was an issue and that was like a month ago. By all accounts and purposes everyone seems to agree it’s Wentz 

Yes, we do not appreciate when someone does a terrible job. Coaches, like players, work on a limited amount of equity at this level. 

And you’re not paying attention. The total control or requesting it is what DOESNT work here. Andy had it and couldn’t handle it, Chip did the same and Doug wanted more as well. And who knows who wants to come here and who doesn’t?

You based it on much more than the talent you now mention. 

Not aware of any upper management issues with which QB to start. There was a time that maybe was an issue and that was like a month ago. By all accounts and purposes everyone seems to agree it’s Wentz 

Yes, we do not appreciate when someone does a terrible job. Coaches, like players, work on a limited amount of equity at this level. 

And you’re not paying attention. The total control or requesting it is what DOESNT work here. Andy had it and couldn’t handle it, Chip did the same and Doug wanted more as well. And who knows who wants to come here and who doesn’t?
Maybe you aren’t comprehending. I didn’t say if TOTAL CONTROL works or not. Obviously it doesn’t there. I’m saying most strong head coaches WANT it, so that could make Philly less desirable.  Add in the talent available in LA, and the randomness of life threatening natural disasters 😂, my opinion is LA is a much more enticing coaching spot. 

Maybe you aren’t comprehending. I didn’t say if TOTAL CONTROL works or not. Obviously it doesn’t there. I’m saying most strong head coaches WANT it, so that could make Philly less desirable.  Add in the talent available in LA, and the randomness of life threatening natural disasters 😂, my opinion is LA is a much more enticing coaching spot. 
Again, what gets you more? Equity/ performance. That’s what Chip used to leverage himself into a more prominent role and what Doug didn’t have to get a more prominent role. New HC’s have very little what? If a new HC made that an issue he will surly be removed from consideration by many teams. Look around the league and who has total control. It often doesn’t work out and it’s rarely given to new HC’s

You’re entitled to your opinion and my opinion is that the talent in LA is comparable to the talent here. 

Again, what gets you more? Equity/ performance. That’s what Chip used to leverage himself into a more prominent role and what Doug didn’t have to get a more prominent role. New HC’s have very little what? If a new HC made that an issue he will surly be removed from consideration by many teams. Look around the league and who has total control. It often doesn’t work out and it’s rarely given to new HC’s

You’re entitled to your opinion and my opinion is that the talent in LA is comparable to the talent here. 
Fair enough. All the coaching changes will be interesting to watch for sure. Massive turnover this year and one where Covid was the one factor that played huge in the failures of a lot of them.

in my opinion.🤔 

Eagles have requested permission to interview:
- Titans OC Arthur Smith (according to @DanGrazianoESPN)
- Bucs DC Todd Bowles (accoring to Sal Pal)

Eagles have requested permission to interview:
- Titans OC Arthur Smith (according to @DanGrazianoESPN)
- Bucs DC Todd Bowles (accoring to Sal Pal)
Smith is pretty savvy and well rounded as a coach of both defense and offense. Came up under Matt Lafluer who obviously knows his stuff. He deserves a chance and should be a very good HC. 
Not a fan of Bowles.

Really dude? Come on your better then taking the cheap shot route. My point is would someone rather coach in a city where no one cares and only hopes on when the team is great or go elsewhere that if you are great and win some titles you would get more joy out of it. Like others said LA has terrible traffic, higher taxes, political distrust, etc. 

I know I'd rather coach in a city where the fans and media demand more then avg and actually care and pack stadiums. Some like the easy route. 

Really dude? Come on your better then taking the cheap shot route. My point is would someone rather coach in a city where no one cares and only hopes on when the team is great or go elsewhere that if you are great and win some titles you would get more joy out of it. Like others said LA has terrible traffic, higher taxes, political distrust, etc. 

I know I'd rather coach in a city where the fans and media demand more then avg and actually care and pack stadiums. Some like the easy route. 
no one cares? Not one fan? Really? Like they black out Chargers games? I’m not taking cheap shots, but some of your absolutes are a bit outlandish. “No fans, everyone walks around with nose in the air, earthquakes and wildfires.” Come on, YOU should be better than that. Don’t ruin your reputation for mostly very informative inside information on your team with generalized nonsensical accusations of others which you know nothing about. 😉

me personally, I wouldn't consider living in Los Angeles unless I was making huge baller money. And, I'd snap up the Philly job in a heartbeat, but I doubt I'll get an interview.

But, my man, take off the homer glasses for a minute. LA is a much bigger draw than Philly for almost everyone else in the history of everyone.

me personally, I wouldn't consider living in Los Angeles unless I was making huge baller money. And, I'd snap up the Philly job in a heartbeat, but I doubt I'll get an interview.

But, my man, take off the homer glasses for a minute. LA is a much bigger draw than Philly for almost everyone else in the history of everyone.
Personally, my first choice would be Trevor Lawrence and the Florida sun. Give me fishing in the gulf on my off season.🌴🐟

Agreed and while I wouldn’t be mad if we got a Saleh it’s near the end of my list to go with a defensive coach 
i take your point and lean toward that myself, but at the end of the day, being the head coach is about a lot more than just your scheme.  Certain guys like K Shanahan and Andy and Stefanski and Reich are great schemers and obviously impact their teams that way.  But other guys like Nagy, Zac Taylor, Gase, McDaniels can be great at scheming but seem to ack the other nuances of being a head coach (well, maybe too early on Taylor).  Then you have guys like McDermott and Vrabel (to an extent) who seem to get the bigger picture and the offenses run as appropriate.  I have no idea where Saleh falls in this mix or if he's any good, just saying that I think that defense vs. offense is a little overrated in some ways.

i take your point and lean toward that myself, but at the end of the day, being the head coach is about a lot more than just your scheme.  Certain guys like K Shanahan and Andy and Stefanski and Reich are great schemers and obviously impact their teams that way.  But other guys like Nagy, Zac Taylor, Gase, McDaniels can be great at scheming but seem to ack the other nuances of being a head coach (well, maybe too early on Taylor).  Then you have guys like McDermott and Vrabel (to an extent) who seem to get the bigger picture and the offenses run as appropriate.  I have no idea where Saleh falls in this mix or if he's any good, just saying that I think that defense vs. offense is a little overrated in some ways.
Oh I agree. Arguably the best coaches today (Carrol, Belechick and Tomlin) are all defensive guys.  The reason I lean more toward offense is that we still maintain the creativity and play caller every year in a more offensive day and age.  We don't know the impact of Vrabel and McDermott until we see who they replace their OC's with.  Im more open to the idea since we really just need a HC who can lead and also identify other strong coaches. I think that's the reason why the 3 I mentioned before have had sustained success. I'm more open to the idea of not even having our HC call plays period.  Let them coach the game and assist the coordinators they trusted to have these positions.  

Just seeing Nagy's name.....I can't believe he outlasted Doug lol

We also dodged a bullet when we interviewed Gase, he demanded total control, and we wouldn't give it to him. 

Duce deserves the shot. He's been the good soldier for 3 different regimes now. It's a tough hand he's being dealt with this team but he deserves to add Head Coach to his resume. 
I'm fine with Duce. Is he new and exciting? No. Can he fix Carson? No (and we need a competent QB coach for that, not a head coach).

But he's clearly got the respect of the players, knows how to get an effective run game going (and is one of the only positions that develops and improves). And, frankly, what do we have to lose? Let the guy have his shot.

babydemon90 said:
I'm fine with Duce. Is he new and exciting? No. Can he fix Carson? No (and we need a competent QB coach for that, not a head coach).

But he's clearly got the respect of the players, knows how to get an effective run game going (and is one of the only positions that develops and improves). And, frankly, what do we have to lose? Let the guy have his shot.
If they're gonna leak everything, I'd be really interested in hearing Duce's perspective on the last year, Carson, and how to build the team back up.

The Noid said:
My take on Duce: look at how we (and other teams' fans) are drooling over poaching potential head coaches that are on the staffs of other teams. Is ANYONE in the NFL looking at Duce as a potential HC candidate, now or in the past, other than us? That might be telling.

Yep and that’s a good start. Maybe someone keeps him on here and get can continue to gain experiance. 

The more im reading I’m starting to think Smith may be their target. Outside of the obvious he has coached multiple positions, coached in Tennessee under 4 different HC’s (they must have seen value), should have a lot of connections and is a young offensive mind who runs a balanced attack which we will need. He should also be able to take some position coaches with him from Tennessee as well. 

i agree. i dont want a rookie head coach unless its a great HC coming from college.  duce has never been a head coach at any level. never even been the OC.   not saying he cant do it, but thats a bit too much of a jump for me

jasvic said:
I want absolutely NO part of Duce being our HC.

Users who are viewing this thread