What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Don't Snark Too Hard Tonight -- This Is Going To Get Worse Before It Gets Better (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
This was the worst day for our democracy in the days I've been alive. No amount of snark or humor is going to mollify the uneasiness that I and others feel at watching the sight of this. What is the worst about it are threats of life and limb to the President's detractors. Those that served on the right and decided to part ways with the President are now (or should be) under watchful eye. I think of the people in the think tanks and publications on the right, those that have bravely dissented publicly from the beginning. There was always the threat of this, but never did I think the people such willing accomplices and so stupid as to go in for disinformation and conspiracy theories.

This is not a night to rejoice, joke, or be smart. This is a night to mourn the degeneration of the right -- let's face it, the law and order party -- into the chaos and militancy we saw today. The left does not have a monopoly on the tactics they introduced as early as '64, and we will not see the end of this any time immediately. The wounds are too deep, the scars too great. I will have trouble sleeping tonight knowing the many brave men and women that dissented from the President as soon as these things started manifesting themself into anti-democratic positions, and power became only a means to retain more power. They are the ones whose heads he threatened to "put on a pike" earlier in his administration. That those people are around and moving should be a big sigh of relief to all of us. But that said, these things only get worse. There is too much power, money, and influence at stake to ever procure a full mea culpa by responsible parties. The Tucker Carlsons of the world. The Sarah Palins. The GOP idiocracy in general. They will be the ones that will have to be watched as bellwethers. That they may remember their duty as patriots and citizens while standing athwart their own egos and selfishness is what we hope for -- that the better angels among us get voices and the dross get swept from the machinery. 

Let us pray. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me be the optimist- I usually am. A lot of Republicans and conservatives spoke up today with dignity. Even guys that I don’t love so much like Mitch McConnell and Mike Pence did their party proud. 
I think the GOP began the slow path back to honor today. We’ll see. 

Let me be the optimist- I usually am. A lot of Republicans and conservatives spoke up today with dignity. Even guys that I don’t love so much like Mitch McConnell and Mike Pence did their party proud. 
Nope. It began a splinter into two parties, one a nationalist/populist one, and one an internationalist/classical liberal one. Trump exacerbated and fused the differences leading to most internationalists and classical liberals cold to the right, yet still Republicans went along for the ride the intellectuals weren't going on. If the intellectuals can be thought of as the tail that wagged the dog of the right in American politics, then tail left the dog wagging still, and the dog wagged its ###. 

There ain't no going back. Nothing to keep a D.C. elite in touch with a Citizen Jane, prone to conspiracy theories by QAnon and hailing from Springfield, MO, other than bedfellows at one point. It's over. The right has collapsed. I hope this was the last gasp of this iteration.

The GOP doesn't get to take a bath and be all clean. They can't wash this off with a few speeches. Their collective cowardice led to this.

They need to pay a heavy price for this. It needs to be known and once again solidified that our democratic elections, civilian military leadership and peaceful transitions of power based on a collective honor are as sacrosanct as we've believed them to be prior to 2016.

I mean, sure, they went along with a bunch of crazy conspiracy theories and fully supported a guy who they knew was unhinged and dangerous, but a couple of them spoke up with dignity after the insurrection that they egged on so I guess it's all good.
I appreciate them trying to saying the right thing at the absolute last moment when they have felt physical threatened. It’s better than the alternative of them all standing by Trump but I agree with you and Rock that it’s far too late. Graham and Cruz and Rubio can’t plead ignorance on this either because they were all on record from the primary outlining exactly why Trump was so dangerous. I’m not sure where we from here but this is likely closer to the beginning than the end of the troubles.

I mean, sure, they went along with a bunch of crazy conspiracy theories and fully supported a guy who they knew was unhinged and dangerous, but a couple of them spoke up with dignity after the insurrection that they egged on so I guess it's all good.
I have Winston Churchill of 1940 in mind. After Dunkirk almost all of the former appeasers did a 180 and came to his side. Many of them tried to pretend that they had never behaved shamefully during the last 7 years, or that it was all past history. Wisely, Churchill chose to pretend with them. Because that was the way to unify the country. 
Myself, when it comes to any politician, no matter how awful they’ve been, if they finally say or do the right thing I’m always willing to forgive and forget- UNLESS their prior actions were truly evil or criminal, and that’s pretty rare. 

I have Winston Churchill of 1940 in mind. After Dunkirk almost all of the former appeasers did a 180 and came to his side. Many of them tried to pretend that they had never behaved shamefully during the last 7 years, or that it was all past history. Wisely, Churchill chose to pretend with them. Because that was the way to unify the country. 
Myself, when it comes to any politician, no matter how awful they’ve been, if they finally say or do the right thing I’m always willing to forgive and forget- UNLESS their prior actions were truly evil or criminal, and that’s pretty rare. 
One could make a persuasive argument that intentionally acting to harm the country for the sake of one's own political benefit is evil.  As pointed out by @Ilov80s in the post above yours, one could further make the argument that people like Graham, Cruz, Rubio, etc. knew what they were doing was wrong and did it anyway, solely to bolster their own political fortunes.

The GOP doesn't get to take a bath and be all clean. They can't wash this off with a few speeches. Their collective cowardice led to this.

They need to pay a heavy price for this. It needs to be known and once again solidified that our democratic elections, civilian military leadership and peaceful transitions of power based on a collective honor are as sacrosanct as we've believed them to be prior to 2016.

Too late.  #### all of these people except Mitt Romney.
1. I don't make this post lightly as I have a lot of respect both of your track records here.

2. I make this post as someone who feels Trump needs to go to Supermax for the rest of his life because of what he caused yesterday.

3. To me, yesterday's events did not happen in a vacuum where this was the endgame Trump had in mind when he was elected in 2016, but rather the final act of a man who was publicly ridiculed and every little gaffe was fodder for every 'mainstream' news and pop culture outlet from before he even took the oath of office.  You back an animal into a corner and poke it long enough, it will lash out with whatever means it has at its disposal, and in Trump's case, he had his newly minted image as a victim of the Left to take advantage of.  Instead of letting him prove his ineptitude, mainstream media equated every foible he had, so that it all just became noise and created the image not of outsider Trump vs. the political machine but rather Trump vs the Left.  It took both sides allowing their fringes to pour gasoline on the fire to get us to yesterday, and continued finger pointing and blaming does no good. To me, nobody was clean before yesterday, the GOP, regardless of who said what yesterday, will carry Trump's stain the rest of their lives, which is appropriate and I see no need to :deadhorse: , it's counter-productive.

I appreciate them trying to saying the right thing at the absolute last moment when they have felt physical threatened. It’s better than the alternative of them all standing by Trump but I agree with you and Rock that it’s far too late. Graham and Cruz and Rubio can’t plead ignorance on this either because they were all on record from the primary outlining exactly why Trump was so dangerous. I’m not sure where we from here but this is likely closer to the beginning than the end of the troubles.
Yeah, this video did not age well. Or perhaps it aged perfectly. 

And in other news,

Project Lincoln

"@ProjectLincoln will be running a brutal corporate pressure campaign targeting Companies, Trade Associations, CEO’s, Directors and senior leadership of organizations that serve as the financiers of the Authoritarian movement that attacked the US Capitol. For example," ...

It was especially disgusting watching Graham say enough is enough while doing his new comedic standup routine.

"We are rehearsing tyranny" is the phrase i've used most in this forum. Guess we're in previews now. It's us, who we've become, no matter the side.

AAABatteries said:
It was especially disgusting watching Graham say enough is enough while doing his new comedic standup routine.
Good old boys need to be good old boys for the people back home.

But what he said was more important overall because of his position and status than his style.

wikkidpissah said:
"We are rehearsing tyranny" is the phrase i've used most in this forum. Guess we're in previews now. It's us, who we've become, no matter the side.
All the “this isn’t who we are” and “this isn’t America” I’ve heard of talking heads and politicians the last few days has had me bouncing between laughter and tears. It’s absolutely who we are. 

All the “this isn’t who we are” and “this isn’t America” I’ve heard of talking heads and politicians the last few days has had me bouncing between laughter and tears. It’s absolutely who we are. 
ever since the day i realized that more Americans knew where Lewinsky bought the spooge dress than that the President had just GIVEN away the wifisphere (valued then, 24yrs ago, @ $700bil) so Wall Street would like him, i knew that we were entering an OJ trial for the national soul. alas, i fear we are yet only two Marcia Clark hairdos in. 

Yes..and it has been who we are for a long time.   Rioting and violence as I have read here in this forum many times before is part of Americana, part of our history. And as we have seen even more this past year and 2 days ago ingrained into our culture.   So yes it is who we are and have been. 

Yes..and it has been who we are for a long time.   Rioting and violence as I have read here in this forum many times before is part of Americana, part of our history. And as we have seen even more this past year and 2 days ago ingrained into our culture.   So yes it is who we are and have been. 
arent you cute, hoping your blot becomes a blur...

People just aren’t very well educated on the history of this country. We blow so much sunshine up our rear ends that we could grow a garden in our bowels. 

I say this out loud to my wife when she is going on and on with one of her scintillating work stories but I change the R to an L 

Wife: "And so this parent called and wanted me to amend the IEP. Then Julie chimed in and said no we have to file form 2121 to supplement it and then so and so said, we have to do this, but I knew better and filed form 1911 to fix it and called Barb in admin and she said...."

Me: (under my breath silently) tldl

Wife: What was that?

Me: Go on..... 

She will catch on one day and I may need to start hiding money. 

I say this out loud to my wife when she is going on and on with one of her scintillating work stories but I change the R to an L 

Wife: "And so this parent called and wanted me to amend the IEP. Then Julie chimed in and said no we have to file form 2121 to supplement it and then so and so said, we have to do this, but I knew better and filed form 1911 to fix it and called Barb in admin and she said...."

Me: (under my breath silently) tldl

Wife: What was that?

Me: Go on..... 

She will catch on one day and I may need to start hiding money. 
That's awesome!  :thumbup:

I get what Summer Wheat is saying upthread and agree with it, though this wasn't really the thread for it. The media coverage, up to and including words used about the riot or mob, has been totally different and can be seen easily as words and seriousness of tone are chosen depending on which side is doing the rioting and mobbing. Wednesday was extra bad because it was an attempt to disrupt the process of the history of our peaceful transitions of power and it was goaded on by a man that doesn't seem to care how important that is to our nation's history. On the other hand, as relates to the media, we've admittedly watched three or four cities on constant arson watch and lockdown since the summer, and we've had a complicit media in that respect. The only reason I point this out is that I hope there are no double standards about the reporting of violence, which is political and insurrectionist in nature on both sides and destroys both lives and public and private property no matter who the perpetrator is.

But this is more of a thread to lament and condemn the right for not only allowing the #QAnon stuff to go on within its own party, but to seek to actively encourage and engender riotous feelings among the populace. Cruz, Howley, et. al shouldn't have a seat at the table in any future endeavors and one would hope the better elements of their constituencies vote them out post haste. 

dood - one doesnt get to be a junkie's girlfriend for several years, hop into violent denial mode when judgement & morality is brought into question AND get to shrug when he kills a pimp. we been in the tenement across the street, watching most of it go down, yelling "get help" from the fire escape, calling in the odd noise & endangerment complaint, then going back to our edibles & GTA. and we STILL got the high ground...

I'm here fer the edibles...
I was here for the GTA but never could get the game play down. Those newfangled controllers and whatnot.

But I don't get what wik is saying by analogy. He lost me with that one, though I appreciate his contribution, I quite simply don't get it.

@wikkidpissah if you'd make it less abstract for me, I'd appreciate it. Even if it involves stepping on toes (of mine and others). 

Who is "we," is the first question? And how is the junkie's girlfriend on one hand getting indignant about amorality and then wanting to abandon all moral judgments? Seems like exactly the thing a junkie's girl does. Just confused. 

I do agree with the Crime & Punishment aspect of it. We never just shrug at evil, there's always a justification behind our cruelty. Unless our nihilistic selves are so far gone and removed from it that we indeed do. I'm not sure. 

By the way, MoCS, good to see you. How's things? You can blast a PM if you want or if you're busy, then by all means do that which you need to attend to. Thoughts are with you, as always.
Same to ya, pal.

Things been getting much better on my personal front; family is doing well.

I briefly checked in early on the 6th to follow events, and we all saw what then occurred. I have few words to express how I feel on that front. It's not that I don't have strong feelings, but coalescing them into paragraphs is not easy for me.

I have much wrath at the manipulators (on all fronts) and much sorrow for the manipulated. Problem is; it's sometimes hard to distinguish the line. That leaves me in a grey mood.

But, I do what I can - where I can - and try to have faith and hope for the rest.

I'm gonna try to be around more, but I've said that before; so ... 

unpacking an analogy is like explaining a joke. a labor-saving device broke off in my hand, apparently. oh, well.....
Edibles help ...

I was here for the GTA but never could get the game play down. Those newfangled controllers and whatnot.

But I don't get what wik is saying by analogy. He lost me with that one, though I appreciate his contribution, I quite simply don't get it.

@wikkidpissah if you'd make it less abstract for me, I'd appreciate it. Even if it involves stepping on toes (of mine and others). 

Who is "we," is the first question? And how is the junkie's girlfriend on one hand getting indignant about amorality and then wanting to abandon all moral judgments? Seems like exactly the thing a junkie's girl does. Just confused. 

I do agree with the Crime & Punishment aspect of it. We never just shrug at evil, there's always a justification behind our cruelty. Unless our nihilistic selves are so far gone and removed from it that we indeed do. I'm not sure. 
I think he's saying this has been coming for a long time before Trump and more people are responsible for this than just those at the scene of the crime...but he's an oracle, reading a wikkid post may be more akin to reading ones own self. 

I think he's saying this has been coming for a long time before Trump and more people are responsible for this than just those at the scene of the crime...but he's an oracle, reading a wikkid post may be more akin to reading ones own self. 
I gathered something along those lines but was trying to suss out a little more than that so that I could understand more fully who he was talking about. 

Users who are viewing this thread