What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A Note For Conservatives And Christians About Capitol Riot (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hey Folks,

This might be too faith oriented for here but thought I'd share what I sent some folks this morning. In my real life, I'm more open about this. 

Apologies for the length here. I know I ask people not to do that. If someone can remind me :lmao:  how to hide part of a post, I'll do that.

Here's what I wrote and what I think:

So...this is not great. "Knoxville" is trending on Twitter. Because of this. https://twitter.com/xy467chr/status/1346967957302292481?s=20

Shake my head. I'm embarrassed for my city that I love.

On the upside, we still have the Sunsphere. And a next door neighbor claim to Dolly Parton. 

But Elizabeth stings.

On a more serious note, I'm thinking this morning about our influence. 

Not the social media "influencer" where an expert endorsing a product can boost sales. I'm talking about the age old "influence" of how we represent. How we're ambassadors, like it or not. People look to us who know us, even distantly. This is maybe especially important for those that know us distantly. There are more of them. 

I was struck this morning reading Ephesians 5:15-17. 

"15 So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. 16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. 17 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do."   (New Living Translation.)

I think one thing "the Lord wants us to do" is reflect Him well. That's often in the actions we do. But sometimes that takes words. This seems like one of those times. 

I'm not a fan of the game where it's your responsibility 24/7 to speak out against every little thing remotely connected to your side. It's exhausting. And impossible. 

But I do think it's important to recognize the major things. This one is major.

My friend Jason and I don't have much in common politically. But much more importantly, we have total overlap in our love for Jesus. He wrote this yesterday and I think it's important. For all of us.

Much love for you.

J

From Jason:

See his message below:

I haven't been following all the events of today as I have been working.

I am very energized by the opportunities God has given me in this year to see lives changed through our work.

I am thankful to live in Tennessee and I am deeply disgusted by most of the politicians in Washington, D.C.

Seeing posts about shots fired in the House chamber?

Guys if you are actually a conservative you care deeply about the Constitution, you care deeply about the rule of law.  You know this is absolutely horrible and completely unacceptable.

I know these are actions of protesters, but the truth is I am more frustrated and disappointed by the actions of this group than I was with the antifa burnings and looting around some BLM protests.

In every group you will have lawless people who want to create chaos.  Some political groups have accepted and embraced terrorists and murderers within.  The U.S. has funded some of those horrible bad actors in other countries.

Political conservatives in the United States have never been people who engage in political acts of violence to maintain or seize power.  The opposite of communism is not fascism, fascism and communism both operate only with large state power.  Small government conservatives want to resist tyranny, but it is about defending our home, not taking over the House.

Let everyone who believes in the rule of law be clear, this is not the way.
Peaceful protest is wonderful.  Self defense is a God given right, recognized by our legal system.  Attacking those you disagree with politically?  It is wrong.  It is giving in to the worst sinful impulses.  

Do I think DC is broken and those who allowed massive violations of law by Lerner and Comey and Holder have created a feeling of despair that bad guys are never punished?  I do.  Does that give anyone the right to become a vigilante?  NO!

Love your enemies.  Pray for DC.  Pray for our whole nation.  Those who cheer for left wing violence are evil and those who cheer for right wing violence are evil, and those who gleefully anticipate further destruction are not following the Prince of Peace.

When people I am friends with who disagree with me politically ask me to condemn things, I usually think they are overestimating my voice and/or they are making something minor into something major.  This is major.  People who claim to represent my side seem to have become unhinged and the peaceful praying friends I have in DC right now are being ignored because of the violent idiocy.

It is wrong.  It is wrong to worship Trump, and if you thought America lives or dies today depending on the election certification we have a different view of our Republic.  People who look for salvation from any President, or any politician will be deeply disappointed.  Look to Jesus, obey Him, love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you.  Do not despair, prepare and stay engaged in culture, but realize that your voice is needed to demand surrender not to a party or a person but to the King of Kings who offers forgiveness and love for all those who follow Him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our country has been building up to that moment yesterday for four years.  People have been warning how dangerous Trump is and frequently laughed at or ridiculed during that time by many folks on Jason’s side.  Honestly, I have no interest in anything he has to say other than “I was wrong to vote for this guy”.  If he’s not interested in that then that’s fine but I’ll move on with the other 65% of the country who didn’t support this corrupt leader.

I know you are disappointed in my reply Joe, I expected that.  But at some point adults are responsible for their actions.  I’m not trying to punish the “Jason’s” of the world but rather I’m just choosing to ignore them.  Their opinions do not matter to me if they can’t make that simple step.  And I acknowledge that may not be the ideal way to handle it but I only have so much time here on this rock - I’ve learned not to suffer fools.  

I know you are disappointed in my reply Joe, I expected that.  But at some point adults are responsible for their actions.  I’m not trying to punish the “Jason’s” of the world but rather I’m just choosing to ignore them.  Their opinions do not matter to me if they can’t make that simple step.  And I acknowledge that may not be the ideal way to handle it but I only have so much time here on this rock - I’ve learned not to suffer fools.  
No worries. It's what I expected. 

Do I think DC is broken and those who allowed massive violations of law by Lerner and Comey and Holder have created a feeling of despair that bad guys are never punished?  I do.
This is part of the problem Joe.  Your friend has a good message.  He sounds like a terrific guy.  But he's parroting lies from conservative media.  He thinks this is a message of healing but it's still sowing division. 

It's like when Trump posted a message yesterday saying "the election was stolen, you guys raiding the Capitol are patriots, but you should go home."  I mean, sure the "go home" part sounds good.  But it does nothing to dissipate the anger that people feel as a result of having been manipulated by right wing media and right wing politicians.

Our country has been building up to that moment yesterday for four years.  People have been warning how dangerous Trump is and frequently laughed at or ridiculed during that time by many folks on Jason’s side.  Honestly, I have no interest in anything he has to say other than “I was wrong to vote for this guy”.  If he’s not interested in that then that’s fine but I’ll move on with the other 65% of the country who didn’t support this corrupt leader.
Some have been warning for years Trump's not going to leave. At least not peacefully. There have been warnings.

It’s been building up for 4 years starting with the Russia hoax, through the shoddy impeachment, the draconian Covid lock downs, watching “protests” go on all summer without consequence and finally a perceived stolen election. 

It’s been building up for 4 years starting with the Russia hoax, through the shoddy impeachment, the draconian Covid lock downs, watching “protests” go on all summer without consequence and finally a perceived stolen election. 
I’d argue it started well before the Russia stuff - I was incredulous the man got a single vote in the primaries - I started questioning things then.

Joe: Thank you for the sentiment of this thread. And, unfortunately, I think the replies within are an example of why we don't have more reasonable discourse in this forum. 

:confused:

I don't understand what this means. Someone posted that Chattanooga was trending, and I posted a link which possibly explained why that was the case.

I did not "have fun" while doing it.
I was trying to have a serious conversation about how I feel about this. Derailing it to football coaches being fired for saying awful things is not really part of that. But it really doesn't matter for the thread I guess. I mainly wanted to put out there what I was thinking. 

"Honestly, I have no interest in anything X has to say... unless they agree with my point of view" is pretty much a summary statement of our root problem as a country. At least you knocked that out with the first reply.

:confused:

I don't understand what this means. Someone posted that Chattanooga was trending, and I posted a link which possibly explained why that was the case.

I did not "have fun" while doing it.
I was trying to have a serious conversation about how I feel about this. Derailing it to football coaches being fired for saying awful things is not really part of that. But it really doesn't matter for the thread I guess. I mainly wanted to put out there what I was thinking. 
Sorry. I thought I was doing you a favor -- my interpretation was that the thread had already gone off track (when it was mentioned that Chattanooga was trending) and I was trying to help resolve that. I even went out of my way to find the most neutral link possible (the ESPN link made some racial implications which I thought were inappropriate).

In your original post, you noted that "Knoxville" is trending on Twitter (and posted a link to why) and expressed disappointment about that.  Everyone here knows you're in Tennessee and you hold some love for your state as a whole.  Maybe it's just me, but that someone noted that Chattanooga is also trending on Twitter, and a second poster explained why, does seem within the spirit of the original post.

I was trying to have a serious conversation about how I feel about this.
I'm here to listen. I think we probably share some differing view points politically, but I think we want the same things from a discourse perspective. To me, that's the first step.

I think that, generally speaking, many right-leaning Christians feel as though the left looks down upon their world view. The country has become increasingly secular, and it's nearly impossible to get a large portion of the population to take you seriously on social media if you start from a position of faith. That's incredibly disheartening for some people. And, understandably, different folks handle that differently.

AAA Batteries' original reply is a great example of the choice people face. Instead of seeking to understand why someone would have felt the way they do about voting for Trump and then living through the frightening events yesterday, it was a simple "I don't care what that person has to say because I've already made up my mind on what type of person they are."

If your buddy was in this thread, there's a good chance that rubs him the wrong way. And so maybe he chooses to shelve the discourse, or worse yet, maybe it hardens him to the point that he chooses not the take this stance in future situations. Those are both bad outcomes, imo.

I'm here to listen. I think we probably share some differing view points politically, but I think we want the same things from a discourse perspective. To me, that's the first step.

I think that, generally speaking, many right-leaning Christians feel as though the left looks down upon their world view. The country has become increasingly secular, and it's nearly impossible to get a large portion of the population to take you seriously on social media if you start from a position of faith. That's incredibly disheartening for some people. And, understandably, different folks handle that differently.

AAA Batteries' original reply is a great example of the choice people face. Instead of seeking to understand why someone would have felt the way they do about voting for Trump and then living through the frightening events yesterday, it was a simple "I don't care what that person has to say because I've already made up my mind on what type of person they are."

If your buddy was in this thread, there's a good chance that rubs him the wrong way. And so may he chooses to shelve the discourse, or worse yet, maybe it hardens him to the point that he chooses not the take this stance in future situations. Those are both bad outcomes, imo.
I think this is a great post. 

In your original post, you noted that "Knoxville" is trending on Twitter (and posted a link to why) and expressed disappointment about that.  Everyone here knows you're in Tennessee and you hold some love for your state as a whole.  Maybe it's just me, but that someone noted that Chattanooga is also trending on Twitter, and a second poster explained why, does seem within the spirit of the original post.
Understood. I was bummed Knoxville was embarrassed with the post about the capital. I was talking about the capital and how I see it. I didn't really plan it to be a "let's see all the other dumb things about Tennessee cities too" thread. There is plenty of material for that too I'm sure. I was mainly just trying to share how I was feeling about the capital thing. All good. 

Sorry. I thought I was doing you a favor -- my interpretation was that the thread had already gone off track (when it was mentioned that Chattanooga was trending) and I was trying to help resolve that. I even went out of my way to find the most neutral link possible (the ESPN link made some racial implications which I thought were inappropriate).
No worries. All good. I should probably just bow out as I'm sure I'm being oversensitive. Hasn't been a great time. 

This seems pretty accurate for some of my Christian friends. I listen to them. They listen to me. We maintain friendships. But, I feel like I also try some Christian-on-Christian correction with them, as they do with me, when I think they are really erring on something. And I think that's what's needed within the church. Listen? Yes. Acceptance of everything? No.

Christians shouldn't sit back and watch other Christians idolize any man or human institution or anything other than God. 

This seems pretty accurate for some of my Christian friends. I listen to them. They listen to me. We maintain friendships. But, I feel like I also try some Christian-on-Christian correction with them, as they do with me, when I think they are really erring on something. And I think that's what's needed within the church. Listen? Yes. Acceptance of everything? No.

Christians shouldn't sit back and watch other Christians idolize any man or human institution or anything other than God. 
I'm not a Christian, so I don't feel it's my place to tell Christians how they should live and act.  That said, I wish some in the Christian community spoke a little louder in their disapproval of the track other Christians in this country are heading. That's why I was pleased to see this post forwarded by my sister on FB this morning.  She never posts anything political, so it was a sign that perhaps the silent Christians may begin to speak up.

"One thing I know, the Gospel of Christ is culturally offensive to all forms of man-made governments.  It penetrates empires, dictatorships, communism, and democracies. But if the message you're believing doesn't reek of love, compassion, and empathy, run far from that gospel.  It's not the Gospel of Christ. The chaos of today won't buy anyone life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness.  Jesus never rallied with a posse of armed men. Jesus disarmed his loyal followers at the house of Caeser as his back was torn with a gnarly whip; he didn't tell those followers to stand by. Jesus put back on the ear his disciple had cut off his enemy, and he washed the feet of the very man who would lead to his death."

I'm not a Christian, so I don't feel it's my place to tell Christians how they should live and act.  That said, I wish some in the Christian community spoke a little louder in their disapproval of the track other Christians in this country are heading. That's why I was pleased to see this post forwarded by my sister on FB this morning.  She never posts anything political, so it was a sign that perhaps the silent Christians may begin to speak up.

"One thing I know, the Gospel of Christ is culturally offensive to all forms of man-made governments.  It penetrates empires, dictatorships, communism, and democracies. But if the message you're believing doesn't reek of love, compassion, and empathy, run far from that gospel.  It's not the Gospel of Christ. The chaos of today won't buy anyone life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness.  Jesus never rallied with a posse of armed men. Jesus disarmed his loyal followers at the house of Caeser as his back was torn with a gnarly whip; he didn't tell those followers to stand by. Jesus put back on the ear his disciple had cut off his enemy, and he washed the feet of the very man who would lead to his death."
I think "speaking loudly" can be a tricky situation for a Christian. I think that's best when it's among Christian friends and is probably best when it's not public on social media. Unfortunately, I think much of this type of stuff that we know about is on social media and it's usually pretty ugly. My guess is it's most effective when it's behind closed doors and each person knows each other well.

That's not to say there isn't a role for some Christians to speak loudly in public. That role should be done by public, well-known Christians speaking out against other public, well-known people or to Christians as a whole. And it has to be done in a certain way. Joe started a thread where Beth Moore did something. David French is someone I follow on Twitter and who I think usually does a good job. There are others. They are out there.

I think that, generally speaking, many right-leaning Christians feel as though the left looks down upon their world view. The country has become increasingly secular, and it's nearly impossible to get a large portion of the population to take you seriously on social media if you start from a position of faith. That's incredibly disheartening for some people.
I'm a right leaning evangelical. I've had personal conversations with @Joe Bryant about my current faith journey that I won't repeat here, but he would back me up I think at that point.

I don't feel attacked that much. What I do see, from a social media point of view, is Christians quoting Jesus in one breathe and then doing stuff extremely un-Jesus like in the next. And at this point in our history, there is written proof of it on such posts and more and more people call it out for the BS it usually is.

I have no problem with that. And Christians shouldn't either. We should be reminded of our failures and weaknesses all the time. James told us to. What we do have is thinner and thinner skin and this American failure of thinking that disagreement or debate is some kind of attack on the soul.

Joe hasn't been wrong in anything he's posted from a faith point of view. I personally disagree on some of the logistics but I have that luxury on a message board. But in the end if Christians feel like they are under attack I would argue (and have) that they need to look in the mirror, remember what Christ taught on one sunny hot day in Ceasaria-Phillippi to his disciples and stop being so afraid of something that will never happen. 

I don't get this take at all.  

It sounds like you're just here to gloat and you're only interested in hearing from the other side if they're willing to admit their wrongs/fault in this.  

I'm a right leaning evangelical. I've had personal conversations with @Joe Bryant about my current faith journey that I won't repeat here, but he would back me up I think at that point.

I don't feel attacked that much. What I do see, from a social media point of view, is Christians quoting Jesus in one breathe and then doing stuff extremely un-Jesus like in the next. And at this point in our history, there is written proof of it on such posts and more and more people call it out for the BS it usually is.

I have no problem with that. And Christians shouldn't either. We should be reminded of our failures and weaknesses all the time. James told us to. What we do have is thinner and thinner skin and this American failure of thinking that disagreement or debate is some kind of attack on the soul.

Joe hasn't been wrong in anything he's posted from a faith point of view. I personally disagree on some of the logistics but I have that luxury on a message board. But in the end if Christians feel like they are under attack I would argue (and have) that they need to look in the mirror, remember what Christ taught on one sunny hot day in Ceasaria-Phillippi to his disciples and stop being so afraid of something that will never happen. 
Thanks for this. I don't think I'd attempt to refute anything you've just said. It's really something to chew on, and I think it's very much in line with the spirit of this thread. You sound extremely confident in your faith, and I commend your ability to hold yourself and those around you accountable to the teachings by which you wish to abide.

Hey Folks,

This might be too faith oriented for here but thought I'd share what I sent some folks this morning. In my real life, I'm more open about this. 

Apologies for the length here. I know I ask people not to do that. If someone can remind me :lmao:  how to hide part of a post, I'll do that.

Here's what I wrote and what I think:

So...this is not great. "Knoxville" is trending on Twitter. Because of this. https://twitter.com/xy467chr/status/1346967957302292481?s=20

Shake my head. I'm embarrassed for my city that I love.

On the upside, we still have the Sunsphere. And a next door neighbor claim to Dolly Parton. 

But Elizabeth stings.

On a more serious note, I'm thinking this morning about our influence. 

Not the social media "influencer" where an expert endorsing a product can boost sales. I'm talking about the age old "influence" of how we represent. How we're ambassadors, like it or not. People look to us who know us, even distantly. This is maybe especially important for those that know us distantly. There are more of them. 

I was struck this morning reading Ephesians 5:15-17. 

"15 So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. 16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. 17 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do."   (New Living Translation.)

I think one thing "the Lord wants us to do" is reflect Him well. That's often in the actions we do. But sometimes that takes words. This seems like one of those times. 

I'm not a fan of the game where it's your responsibility 24/7 to speak out against every little thing remotely connected to your side. It's exhausting. And impossible. 

But I do think it's important to recognize the major things. This one is major.

My friend Jason and I don't have much in common politically. But much more importantly, we have total overlap in our love for Jesus. He wrote this yesterday and I think it's important. For all of us.

Much love for you.

J

From Jason:

See his message below:
Thanks, Joe.  That was very moving.

I wholeheartedly agree with your friend Jason and I feel disgusted with yesterday's actions.  I voted for Trump simply because he was better (at the time) than the alternative.  There was ZERO chance I was going to vote for Hillary so I pulled the lever for Trump.  After yesterday's actions and basically the entire nonsense since the election I believe January 20th can't come fast enough.  I wish we could push him out faster, but we can't. 

I will never condone violence regardless of which side it comes from - that is not MY way and I don't identify with anybody who does that.

Thanks, Joe.  That was very moving.

I wholeheartedly agree with your friend Jason and I feel disgusted with yesterday's actions.  I voted for Trump simply because he was better (at the time) than the alternative.  There was ZERO chance I was going to vote for Hillary so I pulled the lever for Trump.  After yesterday's actions and basically the entire nonsense since the election I believe January 20th can't come fast enough.  I wish we could push him out faster, but we can't. 

I will never condone violence regardless of which side it comes from - that is not MY way and I don't identify with anybody who does that.
Curious - did you vote for Biden?

I appreciate the topic and wish I had something meaningful to add from a catholic persective, but sadly I cannot.  I had a hard time fathoming the idea of Trump when it began, and sadly watched as many people I had a pretty decent amount of respect for jump into the pot for this guy.  Hell, I even like him as a celebrity, but certainly not as anyone in charge of anything. Slowly, I watched the pot that people jumped into for this guy slowly raise in temperature, and figured, "sooner or later people will jump out of the pot and realize what is happening.  After Charlottesville, after the Muslim ban, etc etc.  The Blue wave of the midterms helped a bit, but there was not a "come to Jesus" for this president and the pot still grew hotter. I gave a ton of money in this election cycle: To Warren, and then eventually to Biden, Warnock, Harrison, and many other Blue senate candidates.  I argued with many of those of my religion (Jewish) who took Trumps moves in Israel as a sign of "he's with us" without seeing the white supremacy being empowered on our soil and its threat to our republic. I saw the dog whistles, the gaslighting, the total indifference to the rule of law and still shake my head at 70 million people voting for his "Cult of personality", and some (as we saw yesterday) deciding this man was the savior they were looking for (and I won't even get into what they had to say about Obama, a fundamentally decent family man who shares more in common with the average footballguy than trump ever will).

Thankfully, yesterday we may have reached "a bridge too far". The discourse in this country has been poisoned the minute we allowed media outlets to consolidate.  It is further fractured by the Analytics and AI that puts us in smaller and smaller silos to what we want to see and hear.  This site has always had the ability to transcend this because its a football site first, and I appreciate that more than ever now.

Hopefully the next president with some on the right who have taken issue with the cult of personality can put better guardrails up to prevent this from happening again.

Understood. I was bummed Knoxville was embarrassed with the post about the capital. I was talking about the capital and how I see it. I didn't really plan it to be a "let's see all the other dumb things about Tennessee cities too" thread. There is plenty of material for that too I'm sure. I was mainly just trying to share how I was feeling about the capital thing. All good. 
I don't have much to add other than to note it would be really very ignorant for anyone to broad-brush an entire city due to this one crazy person.  If I felt embarrassed every time my city was in the news for something negative, I'd be walking around on egg shells every day.  I saw this short clip yesterday and it never once occurred to me to associate her with Knoxville or TN or to judge the city or state based on this one short clip.  Thanks for the post.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that a large portion of the population is hungry for reason, and of course it won't be found from an opinion that starts from a position lacking reason (faith). 

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that a large portion of the population is hungry for reason, and of course it won't be found from an opinion that starts from a position lacking reason (faith). 
Thanks. That's constructive.

I don't have much to add other than to note it would be really very ignorant for anyone to broad-brush an entire city due to this one crazy person.  If I felt embarrassed every time my city was in the news for something negative, I'd be walking around on egg shells every day.  I saw this short clip yesterday and it never once occurred to me to associate her with Knoxville or TN or to judge the city or state based on this one short clip.  Thanks for the post.
Thanks @CletiusMaximus  And I know deep down most people are sensible like you. It was more a Jonah Hill eye rub thing. Embarrassing but sort of fit with the rest of the day. 

It has been building for much longer than four years . A Dem congresswoman was on POTUS radio today, I did not catch her name but she sounded older.  Simply stated that in a way she does blame the media since the advent of cable news always fanning the flames of hate and fear on both sides among the people and how it needs to stop.  In a way I do agree with her.

You don't have to be religious or christian to learn to just be freaking nice and courteous to others.  You won't and don't always agree on things but that is no reason to hate one another.  Of course I think we should all have a universal understanding of some acts that all people should "hate" (rape, racism etc).

Just stop with what abouts and gotchas.... 

I bet 75% of the population doesn't even know the differences of real issues. They just hear "socialism"/"racists"/etc/etc" and just dont like the other guy

Respect one another, it seems to be a difficult concept for many which I don't understand. Have some decorum

Just be nice --- Daulton :)

she does blame the media since the advent of cable news always fanning the flames of hate and fear on both sides among the people and how it needs to stop.  In a way I do agree with her.
perhaps this is endemic among a populace whose public school system has been severely underfunded and neglected to the point that it was not able to teach critical thinking. interestingly enough i don't really blame the media, if i was a journalist in their position i would probably do the same thing to make money.

I know these are actions of protesters, but the truth is I am more frustrated and disappointed by the actions of this group than I was with the antifa burnings and looting around some BLM protests.
nonetheless, it would be disingenuous to say that the media does not at the very least sensationalise violent events, and this definitely applies to "both sides" -- as in both sides are overly represented as violent. 

https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/

i found this site earlier which suggests that in at least 93% of demonstrations associated with BLM, such demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. i think this person Joe refers to may be compliant in this oversensationalization of protest violence in the United States, but it perhaps is not their fault.

I don't get this take at all.  

It sounds like you're just here to gloat and you're only interested in hearing from the other side if they're willing to admit their wrongs/fault in this.  
I frequently talk on these boards about being wrong and happy to admit it - this is one of those times.  Not only was I wrong with my attitude but I didn’t explain what I think I meant.  I have Trump supporter friends and family - I strongly disagree with them and to be honest I don’t respect their political takes.  I continue to be friends and family with them.  I was angry yesterday and this morning - I shouldn’t say I don’t care what hey have to say about anything.  That’s wrong.  

Summer Wheat said:
It has been building for much longer than four years . A Dem congresswoman was on POTUS radio today, I did not catch her name but she sounded older.  Simply stated that in a way she does blame the media since the advent of cable news always fanning the flames of hate and fear on both sides among the people and how it needs to stop.  In a way I do agree with her.
When news media went to for-profit and consolidation, this happens.  It probably always was, but I can remember when Chicago had 3-4 newspapers giving 3-4 voices.  Now its conglomerates who own papers across the country, eliminating the voice of many.  

When news media went to for-profit and consolidation, this happens.  It probably always was, but I can remember when Chicago had 3-4 newspapers giving 3-4 voices.  Now its conglomerates who own papers across the country, eliminating the voice of many.  
For profit I’m with you.  And yes, consolidation happened but man, there’s so much media available to be consumed.  I’d say if you are looking at it we should push for a strict news only bi-partisan channel and then news opinion channels.  CNN, FOX and the like are close to 24/7 opinion stations.

For profit I’m with you.  And yes, consolidation happened but man, there’s so much media available to be consumed.  I’d say if you are looking at it we should push for a strict news only bi-partisan channel and then news opinion channels.  CNN, FOX and the like are close to 24/7 opinion stations.
I'm a old-school newspaper guy, so I was posting mainly from that POV.  Now TV news, you're correct.  Heck CNN and Fox are credible (still very flawed), compared to Newsmaxx and OANN.  Those are 100% opinion.  I watch my national news from CBC or BBC.  Sad when you have to watch international news to get unbiased US national news.

Users who are viewing this thread