Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

OG Post-Punk Countdown: 1977-1984 #1 - Joy Division - Transmission (1979) (Spotify playlist link in first post)

1 hour ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I always assumed it was their song but maybe Idol would have been the better choice, it seems to fit his voice.  Bryan Ferry, Corey Hart, and Fixx lead singer Cy Curnin also were considered to do it for the soundtrack.

I can totally picture Idol singing that. Ferry, not so much. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated with link to Spotify playlist: Scorchy's Post-Punk Countdown (1977-1984) I know, the last thing the FFA needs is another countdown thread, but I can no longer resist.  A constant stream o

#36 - Echo & The Bunnymen - The Cutter (1983) Like a less successful U2 or a much better Simple Minds (sorry @El Floppo), Echo & The Bunnymen had aspirations far beyond post-punk.  Their

#27 - Public Image Ltd. - Public Image (1978) "Hello? Hello? Hello?"  The godfathers of post-punk making their first appearance with a track that many people (not me) consider to be the first pos

On 1/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Instead of posting links are you just going to send us all the songs on vinyl?

Once the pandemic is over, can I rent @scorchy's basement for 3 days to spin records?

Edited by The Z Machine
  • Laughing 1
On 1/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, scorchy said:

#48 - Modern English - Gathering Dust (1980)

Modern English are the second of three bands on my list to have a breakout single - one that sounds very little like their earlier work - thanks to an 80s teen movie.  The band originally formed in 1979 as the Lepers, before wisely changing their name and quickly signing to the legendary goth/dreampop label 4AD.  That famous song on the "Valley Girl" soundtrack helped Modern English's second album attain Gold status in the U.S. in 1982, but it's their third single that exemplifies the band's sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3FJ9vFFnjo

This is great -- and again, I can't believe it's the I Melt With You band. 

• Like 1
On 2/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, El Floppo said:

I remember when those two films came out...I did the same back to back viewings. worth the watch (Control, and ...don't remember).

I will say, if you haven't already...and I assume you all have...24 Hour Party People is a must watch for this music scene. Love the movie regardless, but even more so because this was all my music as a kid (and still).

Watched it last night again since Mrs. O never saw it. Great stuff. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Thanks, man.  I think it might be dope to join you guys on the next trip out someplace for a music meetup.

It's the thing I've missed most.  This time last year, I was in Athens, GA for 3 nights of Drive-By Truckers annual homecoming shows.  Nothing since.  

I hope the guy who puts on the living room shows where we saw Archers of Loaf singer has a banner schedule planned for late 2021 and 2022.

4 hours ago, scorchy said:

It's the thing I've missed most.  This time last year, I was in Athens, GA for 3 nights of Drive-By Truckers annual homecoming shows.  Nothing since.  

I hope the guy who puts on the living room shows where we saw Archers of Loaf singer has a banner schedule planned for late 2021 and 2022.

I feel like this hiatus has cleared the slate and I’m allowed to pick concerts now too.

• Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/13/2021 at 9:53 PM, Pip's Invitation said:

This is great -- and again, I can't believe it's the I Melt With You band. 

Their catalog is quite impressive and are fantastic live imo. 

• 4 weeks later...

Oh great playlist, just discovered this thread. 

I don't know how to define post-punk, but a genre with Jesus and Mary Chain, Talking Heads, PiL, and Violent Femmes is a genre worth listening to. 

💰

• Thanks 1