What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 FFA NHL Fantasy League (1 Viewer)

Would prefer if there was broad support for a change. I know Getz was against adding another bench spot. Need more input though. 

Would prefer if there was broad support for a change. I know Getz was against adding another bench spot. Need more input though. 
perhaps a vote.  right now, 10/12 teams have 4 Gs. Of the 2 that don’t, one of those teams has 3G and 1 on IR.  2 teams have 4 Gs and 1 on IR.

PLAY THE BALL AS IT LIES

Signed,

Someone who had no idea we were doing 130 goalie starts and drafted a crap burger for 3rd and 4th goalies.

I don't have a strong opinion either way, doesn't look like there will be support for the change. I do think not having the extra spot may result in a million add/drops to maximize the schedule.

Cjw_55106 said:
Not a big fan of changes after a draft. Some teams actually drafted 4 goalies. 
Yes, I read the rules prior to the draft. Rude had changed them every year since I've been playing to one degree or another.  We wanted three strong goalies for sure.   Read the rules before the draft people.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
Please just leave as is now.  Add another spot, and we actually have less of a FA pool than last year by a few.  And that's not including the extra two IR spots

I'm fine with leaving as it is now, with the one BN spot Rude already has added.

The FA pool is a little bit deeper, and this might actually "force" us to make more add/drops than usual. But I think the math checks out that there are enough spots to cover the max requirements for the most part.

I wouldn't have minded having this sorted out before the draft, but we really threw this together last minute, so no real complaints from me.

Having the flexibility of the IR+ spots is going to much more important, I think.

says on yahoo you can adjust max games to 56 now.  are we doing that or sticking with what we got? I don’t care either way.

says on yahoo you can adjust max games to 56 now.  are we doing that or sticking with what we got? I don’t care either way.
I hope not for two reasons

1.  Not a fan at all of changing rules after the season starts.  

2.  The object of the limits is to not let someone max out player games everyday and end up with way more games played than someone else by the end of the season. 

Even at 65, you can't use all your games for every player.  

Chem Chode posted the max games per position.  Choice still have to be made.  

I'd prefer to lower the limit. even if we don't go down to 56, should be something lower than current if there's a middle ground.

I get the resistance to making changes after we've started but I still think it's early enough to do something like this. This was a bug that needed to be fixed, more than any type of planned rule.

I'd prefer to lower the limit. even if we don't go down to 56, should be something lower than current if there's a middle ground.

I get the resistance to making changes after we've started but I still think it's early enough to do something like this. This was a bug that needed to be fixed, more than any type of planned rule.
can you please explain what the issue is?  I don't get it.

can you please explain what the issue is?  I don't get it.
having a very high limit per position takes most of the decision-making away. it would be hard to use up 65 games per position, so people can start as many players as they want everyday and it sort of tips the scales to favor teams/rosters that stay healthy rather than favoring teams that make smart decisions on how to use up their spaces.

if you limit it to 56 games per starting position, it levels the playing field and maintains competitive balance as most teams should wind up playing the same number of games at the end of the season (apart from strategical decisions since playing more games, particularly at goalie, can wind up hurting you with ratio stats).

last year, things got messed up because we had one team burn through most of his games and win when the season ended early. if we had been able to play out the full season, he would have run out of games to play and it's very likely one or two teams would have been able to pass him.

Last edited by a moderator:
having a very high limit per position takes most of the decision-making away. it would be hard to use up 65 games per position, so people can start as many players as they want everyday and it sort of tips the scales to favor teams/rosters that stay healthy rather than favoring teams that make smart decisions on how to use up their spaces.

if you limit it to 56 games per starting position, it levels the playing field and maintains competitive balance as most teams should wind up playing the same number of games at the end of the season (apart from strategical decisions since playing more games, particularly at goalie, can wind up hurting you with ratio stats).

last year, things got messed up because we had one team burn through most of his games and win when the season ended early. if we had been able to play out the full season, he would have run out of games to play and it's very likely one or two teams would have been able to pass him.
Much appreciated.

I'll disagree though.  65 games is more decisions. Only half of that extra player (4th liners, 5th dman) can be used at 65 games and you have to make decisions when to use them.  Those decisions are there at 56 only if you have injuries to top 3 lines.

56 games is start your top 3 lines max time.  Only need to replace them for injuries. 

It's not hard to use up the 65 games, especially with the extra bench spot you added.  I think the playing field is still level at 65, and it would require more skill to win.  

Your league, your rules. Appreciate you running this every year.

Aaron Rudnicki said:

The fact that covid hangs over everything and could cut things short at any time is actually an argument for staying at 65 IMO. At least it's on the table now to use all your guys as much as you can. If it's lowered, someone can do the same thing as last year with a definite non zero chance the season is impacted, cut short, rescheduled etc...

If there’s no real consensus to change, I’m fine with playing it out as is. Need to hear from some more people. 

HELLO EXACTLY

In all seriousness, I think it should be lowered.  With 65 games, you can just hit the "start active players" button for the season and call it good, other than managing IR.  With 56, you have to decide how to get the most out of the games you've got.

In all seriousness, I think it should be lowered.  With 65 games, you can just hit the "start active players" button for the season and call it good, other than managing IR.  With 56, you have to decide how to get the most out of the games you've got.
This simply is not true. 

We've posted the math.  

This simply is not true. 
How so?  In a normal year, we spend a lot of effort not to use up games early, since you'd rather have a game played by a 100-point player than a fourth liner.  Now you can start everyone all year long without losing anything.

How so?  In a normal year, we spend a lot of effort not to use up games early, since you'd rather have a game played by a 100-point player than a fourth liner.  Now you can start everyone all year long without losing anything.
Thats not true. 

You can only start 27 of 56 games of your 4th line forwards.  Only 18 games of your extra two util guys.  Only 36 of 56 games of your 5th dman.  Have to make choices on all those guys all year.  You can not just play all their games. 

Thats not true. 

You can only start 27 of 56 games of your 4th line forwards.  Only 18 games of your extra two util guys.  Only 36 of 56 games of your 5th dman.  Have to make choices on all those guys all year.  You can not just play all their games. 
I'm not sure how you are doing this math, so maybe I'm missing something.  But no one is going to run out of games.  I have used every available player every day so far, and I assume everyone else has, too.  Yet no one is projected to come within 15 games of maxing out at any position.

I'm not sure how you are doing this math, so maybe I'm missing something.  But no one is going to run out of games.  I have used every available player every day so far, and I assume everyone else has, too.  Yet no one is projected to come within 15 games of maxing out at any position.
Most teams have four goalies, then you should have four bench slots.

Three top lines of LW, C, RW all play 56 games.

That's 168 games.

Yahoo allows for 195 games with their 65 game thingy.

195-168 = 27 games to be filled.

Most will carry a 4th line of 3 guys and a 5th Dman on their bench.

Those three guys on your fourth line in total can only play a max of 81 (27 games to be filled x3) games out of their 168 games.  You will have to decide which games they play.  

Four starting D man can play 56x 4, or 224 total games.

Yahoo allows for 65 x 4, or 260.   260 -224 above, is 36 games max out of his 56 games for your 5th D Man.  Choice will have to be made on that 5th D man.

Util allows 130 games for the two slots.  130-112 = 56 games for two players and  18 games for a 3rd util guy.   So I guess your three 4th lineers can get 6 more games each that can be played added to their 27 above.  That's still only 33 total of their 56 games.  Choices have to be made.

The game is about judging talent, and now we get to judge a little more talent and make more decisions than last year. 

NorVoice brought up a good point though.... What if season gets cut short due to Covid again?  At least all of us get to play max games for half the season.... Instead of the one guy last year that didn't know what he was doing.  LOL.

And at the end of the day, the max game rule is about someone not maxing out the waiver wire, and then maxing games played each and every day so they wind up with 100, 200, or more games played at the end of the season than some other team.  The 65-game thing still prevents that.

Users who are viewing this thread