What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 20th - What will happen? (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
I confess - I completely mis-read the January 6th Rally, and aftermath.

Before the 6th, I assumed it would be much ado about nothing,  I figured Trump supporters would show up, shout a bunch of slogans, carry a lot of flags, and then go home.

On the 6th, early in the day, I was encouraged by what I saw as a relatively small crowd.  And, then, in the middle of the chaos, my initial reaction was to take a step back, and thought this was not too bad.  In the light of day - I was wrong.

It could definitely have been worse, but what actually happened was really bad, both literally and figuratively.   It went beyond a bunch of angry protestors disrupting Congress.  People died.  People were legitimately in fear for their lives while they were in the Capitol.  People violently attacked the Capitol - getting in, and once inside.

So, I hesitate to think about what may or may not happen on the 20th - inauguration day.

Again, my initial thought is nothing is going to happen - despite the myriad of calls on-line for Trump supporters to show back up in force.  I don't think Trump supporters will show up, and I think we will see a similar level of security that we saw this past summer.

I hope that this time, I am right.

Well, I predicted an uneventful 6th so I'm not sure if I should be making any predictions here. :oldunsure:

But....the one thing that I am fairly confident in predicting is that Donald Trump will NOT be in Washington D.C. at noon on January 20th.

Guaranteed more security, not only in DC, but all capitals in the US.

Some far right wing  :crazy:  may try to organize something.

But after Wednesday, there will be no "they are just protestors don't worry about it" reactions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I predicted an uneventful 6th so I'm not sure if I should be making any predictions here. :oldunsure:

But....the one thing that I am fairly confident in predicting is that Donald Trump will NOT be in Washington D.C. at noon on January 20th.
There was some talk about him going to Scotland on the 19th, but they don't want him either.  It's best that he doesn't show anyway, why take away from Biden and Harris' day.

There was some talk about him going to Scotland on the 19th, but they don't want him either.  It's best that he doesn't show anyway, why take away from Biden and Harris' day.
Trump already said he is not showing up.

I expect Pence to be there as an Administration representative.  He (Pence) has only himself to blame, but he has to be kicking himself for throwing away a political future by latching on to Trump.  

Trump already said he is not showing up.

I expect Pence to be there as an Administration representative.  He (Pence) has only himself to blame, but he has to be kicking himself for throwing away a political future by latching on to Trump.  
I thought I saw that Pence would be there.   The only shocker would be if Trump did go, and this was before Wednesday's events.

I'm thinking a Howard Hughes existence. Instead of a Vegas hotel, something in his new home state of Florida. Perhaps a penthouse suite overlooking his private golf course. Surrounded by his most loyal ( family + Rudy  (no Pence).  Setting things up for the greatest comeback story ever. 

Or not.

Guaranteed more security, not only in DC, but all capitals in the US.

Some far right wing  :crazy:  may try to organize something.

But after Wednesday, there will be no "they are just protestors don't worry about it" reactions.
Assuming Trump is still President, doesn’t he have to approve security?

I think this may explain the Q Purge on twitter today, and the permanent suspension of Trump:

Donie O'Sullivan @donie · 11m

Twitter says it has seen conversation on and off Twitter of a “proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021.”

Isn't the inauguration going to be virtual anyway?
Lots will be.  But there will still be a parade by Biden to the Capitol Steps.  He will take the oath in the usual place, with some crowd there - but obviously very limited.

Not sure if there will be any protest groups that plan to show up.

I have no idea what is going to happen, but I hope that the Secret Service is paying a visit to every single one of the folks posting about committing violence on the 20th. We now know that these are not idle threats.

Had a friend in high school in the infancy of email who was friends with another kid. Other kid used my friend’s email account to send a threat to the President thinking it was somehow funny. Secret Service showed up at the school the next day and interrogated my friend until his buddy admitted that it was him. If they did that 20+ years ago for an email from a high school kid, I think that visits to all of these folks is more than justified and that most of these folks should even be put in temporary custody.

I think kicking Trump (and many of his confederates) off of Twitter and Facebook will keep things from getting out of hand. I'd also expect Fox News to join the other networks in refusing to broadcast any of Trump's rallies between now and then.

Parler, OAN, and Newsmax won't reach enough people to facilitate organizing a major disruption on January 20.

I'd also expect Fox News to join the other networks in refusing to broadcast any of Trump's rallies between now and then.
Surely, Trump has no more rallies scheduled.

I think he will spend a week or so sulking in DC.  He'll issue his final pardons, and he'll head for Mar-A-Lago to hide out for a while.

The Inauguration will happen. Biden will start his speech off with pledges of unity and coming together and then finish by demonizing half the country and calling for the former leaders head on a platter as the new Congress moves forward with impeachment of a man no longer there. We will enter into 4 more years of divisiveness and animosity. He will assure us that what happened on January 6th will never happen again because he will introduce new laws to protect the people and ensure our safety. 

If and when the Republicans retake Congress, they're first order of business will be to seize on any potential wrongdoings by President Biden (or President Harris if he's stepped down by then) and do the same in kind. Nothing will come of the impeachment except more political theater to enrage the masses and fan the flames. 

All the while, Amazon, Google, Jp Morgan, Citi,  et al grow exponentially and increase their control over regular people. 

Before the 6th, I assumed it would be much ado about nothing,  I figured Trump supporters would show up, shout a bunch of slogans, carry a lot of flags, and then go home.

On the 6th, early in the day, I was encouraged by what I saw as a relatively small crowd.  And, then, in the middle of the chaos, my initial reaction was to take a step back, and thought this was not too bad.  In the light of day - I was wrong.

It could definitely have been worse, but what actually happened was really bad, both literally and figuratively.   It went beyond a bunch of angry protestors disrupting Congress.  People died.  People were legitimately in fear for their lives while they were in the Capitol.  People violently attacked the Capitol - getting in, and once inside.

So, I hesitate to think about what may or may not happen on the 20th - inauguration day.

Again, my initial thought is nothing is going to happen - despite the myriad of calls on-line for Trump supporters to show back up in force.  I don't think Trump supporters will show up, and I think we will see a similar level of security that we saw this past summer.

I had the same for my predictions of the 6th that you wrote here. Way off.

I think the same for the 20th as you wrote and share the same sentiments. there will not be anything remotely approaching what we saw on Wednesday. Far fewer protestors.

However, security will be dramatically improved and expanded. 

I think kicking Trump (and many of his confederates) off of Twitter and Facebook will keep things from getting out of hand. I'd also expect Fox News to join the other networks in refusing to broadcast any of Trump's rallies between now and then.

Parler, OAN, and Newsmax won't reach enough people to facilitate organizing a major disruption on January 20.
https://www.imore.com/apple-may-pull-parlor-conservative-social-app-app-store

I understand Apple has done this. Google is doing something similar with android.

Not sure what January 20 holds, but believe the next 4 years will have several more Oklahoma and Nashville type bombings. Domestic terrorism will be a big threat again.

That's really not good. Further silencing the opposition is not going to bring people together. Parlor is an alternative to twitter and not offering it on the app store simply because of some people's political opinions is leaning more into the Oligarchy.
But, to be fair, the left is all FOR censorship - of opposing opinions.  Look at all the applauding and laughing that is going whenever they ban a conservative?  That's the laugh and applause of someone who tows the Party line.  They don't care.

Now, if this was one of their DNC leaders, or a member of The squad or BLM you better believe they would be losing their bacon.

That's really not good. Further silencing the opposition is not going to bring people together. Parlor is an alternative to twitter and not offering it on the app store simply because of some people's political opinions is leaning more into the Oligarchy.
They can be in the App Store - as long as they comply with Apple's terms of service.   :shrug:

One of those requirements apparently includes some form of moderation of content.  If Parler provides that in a fashion similar to Twitter, or Facebook, or other similar apps, they can be in the App Store.

They can be in the App Store - as long as they comply with Apple's terms of service.   :shrug:

One of those requirements apparently includes some form of moderation of content.  If Parler provides that in a fashion similar to Twitter, or Facebook, or other similar apps, they can be in the App Store.
Parler does have moderation. In many cases more strict than Twitter. If Apple removes it based on what THEY feel is appropriate moderation, then I feel the motives are more financially based to help a fellow Tech Giant to a favorable market share under the guise of "safety and security."

In an email to Parler, Apple said it had received complaints that people used the Parler app, which mimics Twitter, to plan Wednesday’s deadly riot in Washington. Apple said it had determined that Parler was not “removing content that encourages illegal activity and poses a serious risk to the health and safety of users.”

In its letter, Apple referenced his stance and added, “We want to be clear that Parler is in fact responsible for all the user generated content present on your service and for ensuring that this content meets App Store requirements for the safety and protection of our users.”

Apple gave Parler 24 hours to comply before the app would be removed from Apple’s App Store.

Google said in a statement that it had pulled the app because Parler was not enforcing its own moderation policies, despite a recent reminder from Google, and because of continued posts on the app that sought to incite violence.

“We recognize that there can be reasonable debate about content policies and that it can be difficult for apps to immediately remove all violative content, but for us to distribute an app through Google Play, we do require that apps implement robust moderation for egregious content,” Google said.

I literally downloaded Parler from the apple store hours before they took it down today. This isnt a TOS thing, it's a Trump thing. 

Androids can get it from parler.com, not sure if iPhones are that smart. 

In an email to Parler, Apple said it had received complaints that people used the Parler app, which mimics Twitter, to plan Wednesday’s deadly riot in Washington. Apple said it had determined that Parler was not “removing content that encourages illegal activity and poses a serious risk to the health and safety of users.”

In its letter, Apple referenced his stance and added, “We want to be clear that Parler is in fact responsible for all the user generated content present on your service and for ensuring that this content meets App Store requirements for the safety and protection of our users.”

Apple gave Parler 24 hours to comply before the app would be removed from Apple’s App Store.

Google said in a statement that it had pulled the app because Parler was not enforcing its own moderation policies, despite a recent reminder from Google, and because of continued posts on the app that sought to incite violence.

“We recognize that there can be reasonable debate about content policies and that it can be difficult for apps to immediately remove all violative content, but for us to distribute an app through Google Play, we do require that apps implement robust moderation for egregious content,” Google said.
That's absolutely absurd especially with all the harmful content that twitter leaves up. This is using an event to eliminate a market threat for a fellow oligarch.

This is just the beginning. This event is going to be the basis for every underhanded measure corporations and the government are going to take these next few years. This just gave them an excuse to do everything they ever wanted to corner the market and silence the opposition.

That's absolutely absurd especially with all the harmful content that twitter leaves up. This is using an event to eliminate a market threat for a fellow oligarch.
Yep.  Laughable they say that now, if you've ever read Parler.  lol

Political opinions to share debunked conspiracy theories with others who think the same with no one there to fact check, challenge or provide an opposing view. I can't see how that serves anyone. Even here while I most often disagree I like to see if the opposing view has any merit.

You make it sound like its pretty bad, and needs to be moderated to cull messages encouraging violence.   :shrug:

Hard to see that as a bad thing...

Speak freely and express yourself openly, without fear of being “deplatformed” for your views. Engage with real people, not bots. Parler is people and privacy-focused, and gives you the tools you need to curate your Parler experience.

Political opinions to share debunked conspiracy theories with others who think the same with no one there to fact check, challenge or provide an opposing view. I can't see how that's serves anyone. Even here while I most often disagree I like to see if the opposing view has any merit.
Twitters "fact checking" department has a hierarchy of determinations to see if something is true.

A) Do the political leanings of the person tweeting oppose my own? If yes, Then false.

B) Is the country or company the person tweeting is backed by currently funding twitter with hundreds of millions of dollars? If yes, then true. 

Example.

Chinese Embassy tweets Uygur women are much happier after they've been re-educated to not be "baby making machines."

Twitter finds nothing against their terms of service here. You can figure out why. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/twitter-says-it-wont-take-down-chinese-tweet-praising-uygur-policy/%3famp=1

Here is Parler's TOS on the content you can post. Plus an addition section about copyright. 

Any content that you post to the Services must satisfy all of the following criteria, 
and you affirm that any content posted, submitted, or otherwise provided by you to the 
Services satisfies these criteria: 
4.1 You have the legal right to post the content to the Services. 
4.2 The content and the purpose for posting it complies with all laws, rules, and 
regulations that may apply.

4.3 The content does not infringe the intellectual property rights (such as copyrights 
and trademark rights) of any other person or entity. 
4.4 The content does not include non-public personal private information belonging to 
someone else, such as another person’s birthdate, home address, or telephone 
number. 
4.5 The content complies with the Parler Community Guidelines. 
You are responsible for your use of the Services and for any content that you post. 
Parler does not endorse, support, represent, or affirm the completeness, 
truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any of the content posted through the 
Services, nor does Parler endorse any opinions expressed through the Services. All 
content is the sole responsibility of the person who originated the content, and 
Parler does not take responsibility for such content.
4.6 With respect to any content you contribute that uses YouTube services via Parler, 
you affirm that—in addition to complying with Parler's own Terms and Community 
Guidelines—you are also complying with YouTube's more restrictive Terms. (Users 
are encouraged to use Parler's own native video capabilities whenever they wish to 
avoid the application of these more restrictive terms.)
So basically dont post stuff you dont have the rights to, and dont break any laws.  Users are responsible for their content. Simple. 

They have a host of tools to filter out content you dont want to see. 

And the big one: they dont sell your information or manipulate you with it. 

Here is Parler's TOS on the content you can post. Plus an addition section about copyright. 

So basically dont post stuff you dont have the rights to, and dont break any laws.  Users are responsible for their content. Simple. 

The biggest reason is the exponential growth Parler has experienced since election night. They are quickly gaining a small but growing market share in Twitters market. Having the 2 biggest app stores in the country remove Parler is a huge win for Twitter eliminating yet another potential replacement.

Nothing will happen in DC.  It will be Fort Knox. 

The biggest reason is the exponential growth Parler has experienced since election night. They are quickly gaining a small but growing market share in Twitters market. Having the 2 biggest app stores in the country remove Parler is a huge win for Twitter eliminating yet another potential replacement.
I agree, just because of apple's restrictive BS control of everything and not being able to get apps any other way.  Apple is a devil in all this, I hate apple products. Androids can download the app directly from the website. 

ETA:  You can always just log in through a browser. 

I’ll be curious what problems they run into when they have more than 20 users.

I’ll be curious what problems they run into when they have more than 20 users.
As of November they have 10 million registered and 4 million active. But yeah they crashed for a couple hours right after Trump got kicked off Twitter, presumably by a large influx.  Buying more powerful servers isnt that big of a problem to solve tho. 

Twitters "fact checking" department has a hierarchy of determinations to see if something is true.

A) Do the political leanings of the person tweeting oppose my own? If yes, Then false.

B) Is the country or company the person tweeting is backed by currently funding twitter with hundreds of millions of dollars? If yes, then true. 

Example.

Chinese Embassy tweets Uygur women are much happier after they've been re-educated to not be "baby making machines."

Twitter finds nothing against their terms of service here. You can figure out why. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/twitter-says-it-wont-take-down-chinese-tweet-praising-uygur-policy/%3famp=1
Isn’t banning Trump from Twitter going to cost Twitter revenue?

The counter to this argument is that Twitter just voluntarily jettisoned their biggest customers. If Twitter was seriously making a power play to crush Parler, then they would have just kept Trump.

As of November they have 10 million registered and 4 million active. But yeah they crashed for a couple hours right after Trump got kicked off Twitter, presumably by a large influx.  Buying more powerful servers isnt that big of a problem to solve tho. 
I’d assume purchasing servers and scaling wouldn’t be a problem and one they would welcome.

Controlling content may be one.

I wish them well. 

Users who are viewing this thread