What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Urban Meyer - Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Profootballtalk reports ex-Ohio State coach Urban Meyer wants $12 million per year to coach the Jaguars. 

Per PFT's Mike Florio, it's become the "worst-kept secret in NFL circles that the Jaguars' coaching job will go to Meyer if he wants it." NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported two days ago that Meyer "expects" to replace Doug Marrone. $12 million is a gargantuan sum, but Baylor's Matt Rhule landed $9 million per year from the Panthers with nothing even approaching Meyer's track record at Ohio State and Florida. Jon Gruden, of course, brings home $10 million per year to go 7-9. If Meyer fails to materialize in Jacksonville, money probably won't be the reason. 

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Jan 4, 2021, 1:04 PM ET

I don’t see why teams are tripping over themselves to make this guy the highest paid coach in the NFL. 12 mil per is a huge amount for a guy who has never been a head coach in the pros. The college to pro coach success stories aren’t a sure thing by any stretch. For every Jimmy Johnson, there are a lot of Chip Kellys out there. As a Skins fan, this has the feel of a Dan Snyder type move (It was even rumored Snyder was in fact attempting to lure him out of retirement a year ago), and that’s a red flag for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad for both franchises especially when they're each going to possess one of the best pieces that you can in the NFL to turn a team around - a cheap, talented QB. 

Meyer seems to be strictly a college coach only. I guess we'll find out soon enough... 

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Jaguars are "still waiting on" ex-Ohio State coach Urban Meyer. 

56-year-old Meyer is waffling on whether to take a crack at the big leagues, but he has seemed to be the Jags' man from the second they fired Doug Marrone. It would be a high-risk, high-reward gamble for Jacksonville. Meyer lacks even position coach experience at the NFL level, and would run extremely hot at his college stops before burning out and leaving early. 

RELATED: 

Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jan 12, 2021, 5:29 PM ET

Again, why are the Jags sweating this guy out? And now Meyer might be having cold feet already. This has bust written all over it.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler said Urban Meyer has "long been enamored with Trevor Lawrence."

Meyer joins approximately every other coach and front office executive in his interest with Lawrence. His desire to coach Lawrence could very well be what lands him in Jacksonville rather than LA, where the Chargers have spoken to Meyer about taking their head coaching job. Of course, coaching Justin Herbert -- coming off one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time -- isn't a bad fallback option if Meyer doesn't end up coaching Lawrence. Fowler said "questions persist about whether [the Chargers] go all-in" to land Meyer. 

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Jan 13, 2021, 1:42 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers have "continued to look into and explore" Urban Meyer as a head-coaching candidate.

The sides have "spoken recently."  This comes after a PFT report that there's a "growing sense" Meyer will accept the Jaguars' head coaching job. It's possible this is a leverage play by Meyer to get more money or roster control, though the Chargers are an attractive opening with Justin Herbert and the ninth-most cap space in the league.  A decision by Meyer could come as early as this week.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jan 13, 2021, 11:39 AM ET

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports there is "growing sense in league circles" that Urban Meyer will accept the Jaguars' head coaching job.

Coaches and executives within the NFL believe Meyer wanted to wait until after Ohio State's National Championship Game before agreeing. The timing would make sense, as the Jaguars likely wanted to wait a few extra days to pick the brains of OC Arthur Smith and other candidates. Florio also reports it is "likely" Meyer would retain interim general manager Trent Baalke, a decision that points to Meyer having full control over football operations assuming a deal is finalized. The Jaguars could announce the decision as early as Wednesday. It will be interesting to see how Meyer will fill the rest of his coaching staff.

RELATED: 

Trent Baalke

, Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: NBC Sports' Pro Football Talk

Jan 13, 2021, 12:28 AM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports ex-Ohio State and Florida coach Urban Meyer will be the Jaguars' next head coach. 

It's not officially official, but Fowler reports it should be Thursday. Negotiations have reportedly been ongoing for at least a month as Meyer has made it a point to upgrade Jacksonville's practice facility — well short of the facilities he had during his tenure at Ohio State — and land multi-year deals for the assistant coaches he has in mind. Owner Shad Khan interviewed a handful of other candidates but clearly honed in on Meyer from the very beginning. Some headlines will attempt to coax readers into believing Meyer will link up with Buckeyes QB Justin Fields with the No. 1 overall pick, but that spot is reserved for franchise cornerstone Trevor Lawrence. The organization is at least willing to allow Meyer to rebuild on his terms, granting him a longer leash than most for a franchise that has won just 44 games in the last 10 years.

Jan 14, 2021, 9:35 AM ET

NFL Insider Notes: What Urban Meyer will do for Jaguars and owner Shad Khan, plus divisional round picks

Excerpt:

Less than a week after interviewing Urban Meyer on his yacht, Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has landed the big fish.

Meyer will soon agree to a deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars to bring them back to relevancy with future franchise quarterback Trevor Lawrence. He becomes arguably the most high-profile college-to-pros coach in NFL history since Barry Switzer, bringing with him three national championships and a reputation of being able to build powerhouse programs.

The impending Meyer hire gives immediate legitimacy and relevancy to a moribund Jags franchise that not even the 2017 AFC title game appearance could earn it. No doubt Meyer will command a salary in the top five of all NFL coaches, but the billionaire Khan has considered that as an investment he will immediately get a return on via ticket sales.

Make no mistake: Meyer will have full control of the operation. He's been assembling his coaching staff the last few weeks, as our Jason La Canfora has reported. And it's thought that he won't flip the insides of the team too much early on.

Meyer won't try to bite more than he can chew in Year 1, and that includes hand-picking a GM. As of now, the expectation is Trent Baalke, who has been the interim GM since Dave Caldwell was fired and who has been coming into work every day since Doug Marrone was fired, will remain as the GM. Baalke has more than 20 years of NFL experience as a scout and personnel chief. He ran the 49ers from 2011-2016, where he and Jim Harbaugh took San Francisco to three consecutive NFC title games and one Super Bowl appearance.

Along with interviewing Baalke, the Jags also interviewed Jerry Reese, Louis Riddick, Rick Smith, Ray Farmer and Terry Fontenot.

If Year 1 isn't as successful as those in Jacksonville want it to be, Meyer can pull the plug on Baalke. Then, with a year of NFL experience under his belt, he can go after the GM of his liking.

But one thing that Meyer should demand—or, better, what the gravity of Meyer's hire should demand—is more resources poured into football operations. Sources around the league told me in December the Jags have been on the cheap side when it comes to salaries and perks for members of the football operations staff. Longtime Jags defensive lineman Arby Jones petitioned Thursday for improved facilities for the entire operation.

Abry Jones @JUSTAB3

Get them new facilities

Again, the money being spent on Meyer and football upgrades pales in comparison to the money Khan stands to make from Meyer simply being there, much less becoming a consistent playoff contender in the AFC South.

For years, Khan has been efforting Jacksonville's local government for taxpayer funds for developments throughout the city. Just this week, the city council rejected a proposal for an entertainment district Khan is trying to build in Lot J outside of TIAA Bank Field. The deal would have seen the city give the private developers $208 million in cash, and the city council's auditors believed the return on investment wouldn't come anywhere close to a dollar-for-dollar deal.  

No matter what you think of public-private partnerships as they relate to local governments and sports franchises, there's little argument that it's easier for a winning franchise to get tax dollars than one that's about to pick in the top-10 of the NFL draft for the 13th time in 14 years.

Kinda surprised, I thought he was universally disliked here in FL after his shenanigans with “health issues” and the Aaron Hernandez teams with lots of criminal misconduct 

Gonna be a train wreck.

How do folks view this for the value of the players for FF such as James Robinson, Chark, etc?

I said this earlier, but as a Skins fan this feels like a Dan Snyder type hire. Kahn falling for the big name when there were much better options out there. It might not be Spurrier level bad, but it’s going to be a bust.

Meyer also has shown he quits when the going gets tough, so if things go bad he won’t waste any time looking for exit strategies.

I like this move a lot...you never know when a successful college Coach makes the move but between this hire and landing Lawrence, Jax just went from being a joke to being very credible...Meyer has done nothing but win in a big way so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise....from a draft status the fact he knows the college game so well should benefit them in a big way as they have a ton of picks this year and nailing this draft is a must if they are gonna turn this around.

2 keys, imo:

1. The GM.  Gotta have the right person making player decisions.

2. OC and DC.  Urb should hire guys with NFL experience and EXCELLENCE and lean on them.

If any of those 3 positions fall through, he's gone in 4 years.

College coaches coaching in the pros since the year 2000 comprise an awfully suspect list littered with failure besides Jim Harbaugh. And Bill O'Brien, whose disaster wasn't so much coaching as personnel. Any time Chip Kelly stands out as a success on a list that can be searched for under "coaches, professional" is a list gone wild. 

Jaguars hired Urban Meyer as head coach. 

The worst-kept secret in the NFL was officially announced by Jags owner Shad Khan on Thursday evening. Meyer is one of the greatest college coaches of all time — and one of the premier football minds of the 21st century — but he has never so much as been a position coach at the NFL level. He is also known for burning incredibly bright before burning out under the weight of stress and expectations. Nevertheless, the 56-year-old is entering into an uncommonly golden opportunity for success, as the Jags own the No. 1 pick — Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence — have an imposing overall picks cache and are awash in salary cap space. Meyer could turn this around in a real hurry. The Jags' next order of business is finding Meyer a general manager, one who will presumably be more or less hand-picked by the head coach. 

Jan 14, 2021, 6:44 PM ET

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports ex-GMs Scott Pioli, Ray Farmer and Trent Baalke are potential candidates to serve as Urban Meyer's general manager in Jacksonville. 

Per La Canfora, Pioli "has a strong relationship with Meyer going back a ways." Baalke is already in Jacksonville as the director of player personnel. Connected to Jacksonville earlier this month, Farmer had a rough go of it in Cleveland half a decade ago. 

RELATED: 

Ray Farmer

, Scott Pioli

, Trent Baalke

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter 

Jan 14, 2021, 7:28 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports longtime NFL coach and current LSU passing-game coordinator Scott Linehan is a "prime candidate" to serve as Urban Meyer's offensive coordinator in Jacksonville. 

The two coaches apparently have a "long relationship" despite never overlapping in the college ranks. A journeyman's journeyman coordinator, Linehan's primary function would presumably be to show Meyer the NFL ropes, though it is unclear if Meyer is planning to call his own plays. Linehan's hire certainly would not move the needle amongst the Jags faithful. 

Jan 14, 2021, 7:38 PM ET

So what’s the over/under on when Meyer has to retire again for “health reasons” when this thing goes off the rails?

Another reason why this is a terrible hire: the Jags have just landed a QB being hyped up as a generational talent, and to guide his development they hire a coach who hasn’t developed a successful NFL QB since Alex Smith (and no, I’m not counting Tebow). 

So what’s the over/under on when Meyer has to retire again for “health reasons” when this thing goes off the rails?

Another reason why this is a terrible hire: the Jags have just landed a QB being hyped up as a generational talent, and to guide his development they hire a coach who hasn’t developed a successful NFL QB since Alex Smith (and no, I’m not counting Tebow). 
Meyer’s job in college is to win games with his college QB. What happens to them after they leave him and go pro isn’t on him. And if there is one thing Urban has done, it’s get a lot of production out of his QB position. 

Meyer’s job in college is to win games with his college QB. What happens to them after they leave him and go pro isn’t on him. And if there is one thing Urban has done, it’s get a lot of production out of his QB position. 
That’s great if he was now coaching college and Lawrence had another 4 years of eligibility. His system has produced QBs who put up numbers in college that don’t translate to the pros. So now he’s going to bring his system to the NFL? Good luck. We’ll see how it looks when he doesn’t have a recruited talent advantage going against inferior competition.

That’s great if he was now coaching college and Lawrence had another 4 years of eligibility. His system has produced QBs who put up numbers in college that don’t translate to the pros. So you’re telling me he’s going to bring his system to the NFL? Good luck. We’ll see how it looks when he doesn’t have a recruited talent advantage going against inferior competition.
I don't understand this...is his job in college to win or produce Pro QBs...and if we're talking about producing overall NFL talent I think he did OK while he was in college.

I don't understand this...is his job in college to win or produce Pro QBs...and if we're talking about producing overall NFL talent I think he did OK while he was in college.
Sure, but I’m specifically talking QBs here. And again, if he was taking a college job, great. He hasn’t won anything in the pros and the fact that none of his QBs have had success in the pros should tell you something about the likelihood of his system being successful in the pros. 

Sure, but I’m specifically talking QBs here. And again, if he was taking a college job, great. He hasn’t won anything in the pros and the fact that none of his QBs have had success in the pros should tell you something about the likelihood of his system being successful in the pros. 
It tells me he was an all time great college coach who will now go to the pros...if he tries to coach like college he will probably fail but my guess is he is smart enough to know he will have to coach differently...I still do not understand the QB part...if anything it shows he can actually get the most out of a QB because that appears to be the case by how well they did playing for him.

That’s great if he was now coaching college and Lawrence had another 4 years of eligibility. His system has produced QBs who put up numbers in college that don’t translate to the pros. So now he’s going to bring his system to the NFL? Good luck. We’ll see how it looks when he doesn’t have a recruited talent advantage going against inferior competition.
His system was obviously not run by the teams who drafted his QBs. 

It tells me he was an all time great college coach who will now go to the pros...if he tries to coach like college he will probably fail but my guess is he is smart enough to know he will have to coach differently...I still do not understand the QB part...if anything it shows he can actually get the most out of a QB because that appears to be the case by how well they did playing for him.
Yea I don’t really get the argument of wow this terrible QB did great for him in college so he must not be a good QB coach. If anything it solidifies how good of a coach he is. 

So Meyer is some kind of QB whisperer now because he got results with them in college and all of this QBs flamed out in the pros? Maybe he should sign Haskins and show the rest of the league the right way to mentor QBs. And you seem to be implying now that  he will scrap his system and “coach differently” in the pros. We’ll see but I highly doubt it. For most of them, their egos don’t allow it. But I’m sure that’s not a problem for a guy like Meyer. 

His system was obviously not run by the teams who drafted his QBs. 
Right, and you seem to think his system will work in the pros. I don’t. That’s the point. Spurrier tried out his system in the pros with his unimpressive QBs and you see how that worked out for him.

Right, and you seem to think his system will work in the pros. I don’t. That’s the point. Spurrier tried out his system in the pros with his unimpressive QBs and you see how that worked out for him.
I couldn’t think of a more pointless example than a coach trying to go pro over 20 years ago with Danny Wuerffel as his QB. Has nothing to do with Urban and Lawrence whatsoever. 

Not sure how well can coach in the pros until it happens. But you have to say he took one of the best jobs out there that was open. A 1-15 team that has nowhere to go but up. Tons of draft picks and cap money. A young team that will just get younger, which may help him connect in the transition to the pro level.

I'm not sure I care how good a pro head coach is at positional coaching.

I think this is why franchises get in trouble with head coach hires. I would never want my head coach to coordinate - the position is about strategy, not tactics. Leadership, not all the minutia. When the head coach coordinates, it dilutes his role. Let coordinators coordinate and positional coaches coach.

Users who are viewing this thread