Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Urban Meyer - Jaguars Head Coach

I'm not sure I care how good a pro head coach is at positional coaching.

I think this is why franchises get in trouble with head coach hires. I would never want my head coach to coordinate - the position is about strategy, not tactics. Leadership, not all the minutia. When the head coach coordinates, it dilutes his role. Let coordinators coordinate and positional coaches coach.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unlike most of you, I'm not smart enough to know how this is going to go but it's gonna be fascinating to watch.

I'm not sure I care how good a pro head coach is at positional coaching. I think this is why franchises get in trouble with head coach hires. I would never want my head coach to coordinate - the

Based on my watching him during the college pregame show - Guy knows his football...and is kind of a doosh.

57 minutes ago, Capella said:

I couldn’t think of a more pointless example than a coach trying to go pro over 20 years ago with Danny Wuerffel as his QB. Has nothing to do with Urban and Lawrence whatsoever. 

Is Chip Kelly more relevant to your sensibilities? Bottom line is there are countless examples of college to pro coaches that don’t work out. The ones that do seem to be the outliers. You can’t recruit in the NFL and load your team with exceptional talent that plays against inferior opposition. It’s a much more level playing field. You seem to think Meyer will be a smashing success at the pro level because he had success in college. Those two things are completely unrelated, but fine, that’s your opinion. I think it’s not going to work and the track record of college to pro coaches in the NFL bears that out. We’ll see what happens. 

16 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

You seem to think Meyer will be a smashing success at the pro level because he had success in college. Those two things are completely unrelated, but fine, that’s your opinion. 

I haven’t said anything even remotely close to this lol. It’s you misinterpreting my words and then placing your own emphasis on what you believe my opinion to be. All I’ve said is the relative lack of success of his quarterbacks in the league is irrelevant. If you aren’t able to engage in a good faith conversation there really isn’t any point in going on here. 

Edited by Capella
10 hours ago, Capella said:

His system was obviously not run by the teams who drafted his QBs. 

27 minutes ago, Capella said:

All I’ve said is the relative lack of success of his quarterbacks in the league is irrelevant.

If you think the lack of success of any of his quarterbacks in the pros says absolutely nothing about the likelihood of success of his system in the pros and is completely irrelevant, I don’t know what to tell you. Agree to disagree I guess.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

If you think the lack of success of any of his quarterbacks in the pros says absolutely nothing about the likelihood of success of his system in the pros and is completely irrelevant, I don’t know what to tell you. Agree to disagree I guess.

I honestly don't understand the thinking here...Meyer's job at OSU was to win and he did that in a big way...if you look at the QBs he had they really were not pro style QBs with the exception of Haskins who looks to be a complete moron so the fact that Meyer was able to have him go for 4,831-50-8 means he got the most out of him...so your issue is that Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones or JT Barrett did not turn out to be good pros...if that is the case you are very much in the minority with the opinion they were gonna have good NFL careers because these were not legit NFL prospects...if you look at every other position I am sure you will realize Meyer developed a ton of NFL talent...also, the good news is he has Trevor Lawrence so he doesn't even have to find the QB talent, it will be waiting for him and if you look at Meyer's track record he has actually got the most out of QBs he has worked with whether it is Alex Smith, Tim Tebow or Dwayne Haskins.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Yeah, if you can win with bad resources doesn't the bet seem to be that you can win with GOOD resources? 

Yup...I don't think Meyer is gonna try to run a college-style offense that fits the skillset of JT Barrett who is a very good college QB but not an NFL QB...if he does he won't last long but I tend to think he is smart enough to figure that out.

3 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Yeah, if you can win with bad resources doesn't the bet seem to be that you can win with GOOD resources? 

In what universe was Meyer winning with bad resources? The entire point here is he was winning with first rounders loaded on his teams. The Jags aren’t going to have the equivalent of multiple first rounders joining his team every year and going against inferior competition.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

In what universe was Meyer winning with bad resources? The entire point here is he was winning with first rounders loaded on his teams. The Jags aren’t going to have the equivalent of multiple first rounders joining his team every year and going against inferior competition.

The universe where his QBs, the most important position on the field, were non-NFL caliber.

You seem to be shotgunning around on the argument you're trying to make. But I think I get what you're trying to say - just because he has a QB now in Lawrence doesn't guarantee that he'll be successful in the NFL. I think that's self-evident.    

14 minutes ago, Boston said:

Yup...I don't think Meyer is gonna try to run a college-style offense that fits the skillset of JT Barrett who is a very good college QB but not an NFL QB...if he does he won't last long but I tend to think he is smart enough to figure that out.

We’ll see. You are willing to give him a lot more credit as a tactician than I am. I see a guy who had success with superior talent every year and is going to find much tougher sledding in the pros against a more level playing field when he doesn’t have the equivalent of multiple first rounders joining his team every year. Maybe he’ll be the outlier successful college to pro coach, but I doubt it. And I certainly wouldn’t have bet my franchise on it and pay him 12 mil a year for the privilege of seeing if it will work.

Most intriguing hire so far, as it could go either way. His college pedigree is there, but so is his failure to stay when the going gets tough. I think the most vital piece of this project is who he will be surrounded by, (GM, OC, and DC). All three need to have some quality NFL experience under their belts, and I don't mean washed up retreads. So the coming hires will be something to watch for sure.

16 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

What everyone’s missing is that Meyer is on record as saying that he would take Fields over Lawrence. Hard to believe he’d actually go through with it though.

Where are you getting this information?  Do you have a link?

Meyer has previously stated he considers Lawrence a better quarterback than Fields. Prior to this college football season, Meyer was working for FOX Sports, and when asked to rank the best quarterbacks in college football, Meyer put Lawrence first and Fields second.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

What everyone’s missing is that Meyer is on record as saying that he would take Fields over Lawrence. Hard to believe he’d actually go through with it though.

3 hours ago, Deamon said:

Where are you getting this information?  Do you have a link?

Meyer has previously stated he considers Lawrence a better quarterback than Fields. Prior to this college football season, Meyer was working for FOX Sports, and when asked to rank the best quarterbacks in college football, Meyer put Lawrence first and Fields second.

I'm guessing that was all hammered out during negotiations, regardless of which it is.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

0% chance.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, zed2283 said:

I'm guessing that was all hammered out during negotiations, regardless of which it is.

Yep agreed. I was just curious where he was "on record" saying Fields,  when he said Lawrence was better than Fields. 

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer said he won't call plays.

The Jaguars will hire an offensive coordinator, potentially LSU's Scott Linehan to handle playcalling. We'd still expect Meyer to be heavily involved in Jacksonville's offense, but this should help lessen the load in his first season. Owner Shad Khan confirmed Meyer will be involved in hiring the next GM and have input in roster decisions. Both Meyer and the GM will report directly to Khan.

SOURCE: jaguars.com

Jan 15, 2021, 12:27 PM ET

What's the over/under on when Urban quits to spend more time with his family? Years? Months? His first in person look at the Jags roster?

23 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Please tell me this is true. A girl can dream, can't she?

On 1/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, Andy Dufresne said:

I'm not sure I care how good a pro head coach is at positional coaching.

I think this is why franchises get in trouble with head coach hires. I would never want my head coach to coordinate - the position is about strategy, not tactics. Leadership, not all the minutia. When the head coach coordinates, it dilutes his role. Let coordinators coordinate and positional coaches coach.

This might be why Meyer gets burned out. I've read that at every HC job he's ever had he has never missed a special teams meeting or practice. He needs to get the best coaches he can find and let them do their jobs just as you said.

It's the Jaguars.  It does not matter if he succeeds.  He was hired to make them relevant and sell tickets.   And I bet that works.  The number of OSU and UF fans in Jacksonville is huge.  $12M in annual cost will lead to $40M+ in annual revenue.  Combine that with Trevor Lawrence and snag the entire SEC crowd...even more $s.  Even a different QB and it's still an upgrade.   If he manages to make them a decent team, it's icing on the cake.

Edited by Brunell4MVP
On 1/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, Brunell4MVP said:

It's the Jaguars.  It does not matter if he succeeds.  He was hired to make them relevant and sell tickets.   And I bet that works.  The number of OSU and UF fans in Jacksonville is huge.  $12M in annual cost will lead to $40M+ in annual revenue.  Combine that with Trevor Lawrence and snag the entire SEC crowd...even more $s.  Even a different QB and it's still an upgrade.   If he manages to make them a decent team, it's icing on the cake.

Lawrence played in the ACC if I'm not mistaken, but I see your point about relevance in the fall season compared with the college programs in the state and the overall point about increasing ticket and sales revenue. Heck, Lawrence alone could have done that. Now, they get to trot out a guy who won national championships in college as the centerpiece of their organization.

Wins are just gravy.

I think Meyer has a tough time. Seems like a lot of these do because the transition is so rough. And say what you will about good or bad resources. He's going to have very little excuse now that he has Trevor Lawrence and the 1.1 plus other picks ready to go. He's inheriting a good situation.

And by the way, with respect to the Johnny Utah #9 argument before about resources, I think Johnny makes a good point but doesn't point out this: It's not like he didn't have his pick of the litter for QB recruits in the country; he just didn't recruit the right ones. Stick with Lawrence or flip the 1.1 for Watson, Urban. Two no-brainer scenarios where one won't be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30882524/jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-defends-hiring-controversial-chris-doyle

Urban Meyer being forced to defend his decision to hire a former Iowa strength coach accused of making racial statements and abusing his players. 
“But it was the hiring of Doyle, who had been Iowa's director of strength and conditioning from 1999 until this past June, that drew the most attention. Over the past year numerous former Iowa players spoke out about mistreatment within the Iowa program. A number of Black players said that Doyle used racist language and treated them differently based on their race.”

Because when you have a chance to hire a disgraced former strength coach over a similar candidate with no baggage, you have to take it. I’m sure this will go over well in the locker room. Things are shaping up nicely in JAX. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30882524/jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-defends-hiring-controversial-chris-doyle

Urban Meyer being forced to defend his decision to hire a former Iowa strength coach accused of making racial statements and abusing his players. 
“But it was the hiring of Doyle, who had been Iowa's director of strength and conditioning from 1999 until this past June, that drew the most attention. Over the past year numerous former Iowa players spoke out about mistreatment within the Iowa program. A number of Black players said that Doyle used racist language and treated them differently based on their race.”

Because when you have a chance to hire a disgraced former strength coach over a similar candidate with no baggage, you have to take it. I’m sure this will go over well in the locker room. Things are shaping up nicely in JAX. 

Why on earth, when you have the pick of all the strength and conditioning coaches from the collegiate ranks or the professional ranks -- even in the world -- do you hire this guy? This particular one? Another terrible hire. He's lighting it up, isn't he?

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Why on earth, when you have the pick of all the strength and conditioning coaches from the collegiate ranks or the professional ranks -- even in the world, do you hire this guy? This particular one? Another terrible hire. He's lighting it up, isn't he?

Was about to say the same.  Why hire him out of all the strength coaches on earth?

• Like 2
Just now, need2know said:

Was about to say the same.  Why hire him out of all the strength coaches on earth?

I'm seriously confused. Unless you're out to prove some sort of weird point about immediate second chances, you try to avoid doing this. Maybe, once your culture is established you bring him is as a consultant in a year or so. But right now? In a position where the players have to trust their strength coach, he hires a coach fired for belittling and racially-tinged comments towards his own players?

Something is wrong there in his decision-making.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rockaction said:

Why on earth, when you have the pick of all the strength and conditioning coaches from the collegiate ranks or the professional ranks -- even in the world -- do you hire this guy? This particular one? 

Probably hubris more than anything else. I can’t even say I’m surprised. Meyer’s record when it comes to character issues speaks for itself. But the people who liked JAX’s hire of Meyer probably won’t be too concerned. This is a quote from the NFL.com article Faust linked above:

“Meyer added that he is "very confident" there will be no issues with Doyle in Jacksonville. The new coach also said he doesn't believe that the accusations of racism attributed to Doyle at Iowa will prevent Jacksonville from attracting free agents.”

When you even have to consider whether your strength coach hire might affect your ability to attract free agents, you’re doing it wrong. These are type of quality decisions JAX is playing this guy 12 mil a year to make. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

When you even have to consider whether your strength coach hire might affect your ability to attract free agents, you’re doing it wrong.

Exactly. The guy is toxic, and Meyer seems like he was going to prove some sort of point by hiring him. Makes no sense.

• Like 1

I love how Meyer's justification for hiring him is "I've known him for 20 years...". So either you knew he was a racist POS that whole time, which doesn't exactly justify the hire, or you didn't know he was such a POS despite "knowing him so well" which, guess what...means you didn't actually know the guy. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...