What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Urban Meyer - Free Agent (1 Viewer)

I couldn’t think of a more pointless example than a coach trying to go pro over 20 years ago with Danny Wuerffel as his QB. Has nothing to do with Urban and Lawrence whatsoever. 
Is Chip Kelly more relevant to your sensibilities? Bottom line is there are countless examples of college to pro coaches that don’t work out. The ones that do seem to be the outliers. You can’t recruit in the NFL and load your team with exceptional talent that plays against inferior opposition. It’s a much more level playing field. You seem to think Meyer will be a smashing success at the pro level because he had success in college. Those two things are completely unrelated, but fine, that’s your opinion. I think it’s not going to work and the track record of college to pro coaches in the NFL bears that out. We’ll see what happens. 

You seem to think Meyer will be a smashing success at the pro level because he had success in college. Those two things are completely unrelated, but fine, that’s your opinion. 
I haven’t said anything even remotely close to this lol. It’s you misinterpreting my words and then placing your own emphasis on what you believe my opinion to be. All I’ve said is the relative lack of success of his quarterbacks in the league is irrelevant. If you aren’t able to engage in a good faith conversation there really isn’t any point in going on here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
His system was obviously not run by the teams who drafted his QBs. 

All I’ve said is the relative lack of success of his quarterbacks in the league is irrelevant.
If you think the lack of success of any of his quarterbacks in the pros says absolutely nothing about the likelihood of success of his system in the pros and is completely irrelevant, I don’t know what to tell you. Agree to disagree I guess.

If you think the lack of success of any of his quarterbacks in the pros says absolutely nothing about the likelihood of success of his system in the pros and is completely irrelevant, I don’t know what to tell you. Agree to disagree I guess.
I honestly don't understand the thinking here...Meyer's job at OSU was to win and he did that in a big way...if you look at the QBs he had they really were not pro style QBs with the exception of Haskins who looks to be a complete moron so the fact that Meyer was able to have him go for 4,831-50-8 means he got the most out of him...so your issue is that Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones or JT Barrett did not turn out to be good pros...if that is the case you are very much in the minority with the opinion they were gonna have good NFL careers because these were not legit NFL prospects...if you look at every other position I am sure you will realize Meyer developed a ton of NFL talent...also, the good news is he has Trevor Lawrence so he doesn't even have to find the QB talent, it will be waiting for him and if you look at Meyer's track record he has actually got the most out of QBs he has worked with whether it is Alex Smith, Tim Tebow or Dwayne Haskins.

Yeah, if you can win with bad resources doesn't the bet seem to be that you can win with GOOD resources? 
Yup...I don't think Meyer is gonna try to run a college-style offense that fits the skillset of JT Barrett who is a very good college QB but not an NFL QB...if he does he won't last long but I tend to think he is smart enough to figure that out.

Yeah, if you can win with bad resources doesn't the bet seem to be that you can win with GOOD resources? 
In what universe was Meyer winning with bad resources? The entire point here is he was winning with first rounders loaded on his teams. The Jags aren’t going to have the equivalent of multiple first rounders joining his team every year and going against inferior competition.

In what universe was Meyer winning with bad resources? The entire point here is he was winning with first rounders loaded on his teams. The Jags aren’t going to have the equivalent of multiple first rounders joining his team every year and going against inferior competition.
The universe where his QBs, the most important position on the field, were non-NFL caliber.

You seem to be shotgunning around on the argument you're trying to make. But I think I get what you're trying to say - just because he has a QB now in Lawrence doesn't guarantee that he'll be successful in the NFL. I think that's self-evident.    

Yup...I don't think Meyer is gonna try to run a college-style offense that fits the skillset of JT Barrett who is a very good college QB but not an NFL QB...if he does he won't last long but I tend to think he is smart enough to figure that out.
We’ll see. You are willing to give him a lot more credit as a tactician than I am. I see a guy who had success with superior talent every year and is going to find much tougher sledding in the pros against a more level playing field when he doesn’t have the equivalent of multiple first rounders joining his team every year. Maybe he’ll be the outlier successful college to pro coach, but I doubt it. And I certainly wouldn’t have bet my franchise on it and pay him 12 mil a year for the privilege of seeing if it will work.

Most intriguing hire so far, as it could go either way. His college pedigree is there, but so is his failure to stay when the going gets tough. I think the most vital piece of this project is who he will be surrounded by, (GM, OC, and DC). All three need to have some quality NFL experience under their belts, and I don't mean washed up retreads. So the coming hires will be something to watch for sure.

What everyone’s missing is that Meyer is on record as saying that he would take Fields over Lawrence. Hard to believe he’d actually go through with it though.

I hate the guy so I hope he's more like Nick Saban in the Pros than Pete Carroll, but really hard to say where he's going to fall.

What everyone’s missing is that Meyer is on record as saying that he would take Fields over Lawrence. Hard to believe he’d actually go through with it though.
Where are you getting this information?  Do you have a link?

Meyer has previously stated he considers Lawrence a better quarterback than Fields. Prior to this college football season, Meyer was working for FOX Sports, and when asked to rank the best quarterbacks in college football, Meyer put Lawrence first and Fields second.

Where are you getting this information?  Do you have a link?

Meyer has previously stated he considers Lawrence a better quarterback than Fields. Prior to this college football season, Meyer was working for FOX Sports, and when asked to rank the best quarterbacks in college football, Meyer put Lawrence first and Fields second.
I'm guessing that was all hammered out during negotiations, regardless of which it is.

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer said he won't call plays.

The Jaguars will hire an offensive coordinator, potentially LSU's Scott Linehan to handle playcalling. We'd still expect Meyer to be heavily involved in Jacksonville's offense, but this should help lessen the load in his first season. Owner Shad Khan confirmed Meyer will be involved in hiring the next GM and have input in roster decisions. Both Meyer and the GM will report directly to Khan.

SOURCE: jaguars.com

Jan 15, 2021, 12:27 PM ET

What's the over/under on when Urban quits to spend more time with his family? Years? Months? His first in person look at the Jags roster?

I'm not sure I care how good a pro head coach is at positional coaching.

I think this is why franchises get in trouble with head coach hires. I would never want my head coach to coordinate - the position is about strategy, not tactics. Leadership, not all the minutia. When the head coach coordinates, it dilutes his role. Let coordinators coordinate and positional coaches coach.
This might be why Meyer gets burned out. I've read that at every HC job he's ever had he has never missed a special teams meeting or practice. He needs to get the best coaches he can find and let them do their jobs just as you said.

I didn't want to pound down in the Jags team thread but I did want to weigh in and see if others are left scratching their heads.

-No NFL experience, NONE! Let's start there

-A laundry list of coaches in the NFL that hate his guts for not tipping hands on players like Aaron Hernandez, he knew who he was at Florida

-Faked an illness to get out of Florida and leave amid some rumored scandals. 

-Didn't last long at OSU, had more scandals there involving Domestic Battery/Abuse and while that wasn't Urban directly, it was one of his coaches that he was loyal to. 

-This is a pure last pay day of his life, there will no Pete Carroll reincarnation in Jacksonville, Pete is a completely different type of coach and I don't think Meyer will be able to hold the locker room together when things go South. 

-$12,000,000.00??? $12MM, $12 Million...$12 MILLION, are you fBomb kidding me? Was there a tug of war with the Jets or something for his services?

Worst coach that could have been hired IMHO almost bar none. Poor Trevor is going to get off to an awful start in the J-A-X

I'm sorry Jags fans, be happy though you get Lawrence, he actually got the NCAA to start playing again this year...well he was a big voice and part of the solution not the problem. I love this kid and think he will succeed but Meyer is going to set him back a few years. Jacksonville will not be able to run the rookie-QB playbook to the SUper Bowl, you have a 3 year window and they just blew it. 

He's "looking" for potential Assistant Coaches in the NFL so if you want a job you should apply, It doesn't sound like he knows what he is doing and doesn't already have a solid staff in place ready for his phone call. 

The only time that franchise has had stability Coughlin has been there. It's awful for them. They're not a bad team at all, they just have no concept that fine is OK and just means a player is depth. I can't wait for my Titans to add Cole and Dede and a couple defensive linemen off the waiver wire. We'll draft bust DL so it'll be nice to add some that are actually good and umm we have roles to the player's skillset in TEN so Cole as the slot guy will be just fine. Do the Jags want Humphries big contract? 

Matt Jones, The weapon, Shenault....why are they obsessed with a WR that does other things? 

Ace Sanders and Rashad Greene were fine. They were speedy little buggers that should have played 10-15 snaps per game to get 5 yard passes. They were awful outside because umm they're speedy lil buggers.

Somehow they were never happy with Robinson and Hurns and always trying to get Marqise Lee healthy and add more WRs and....those two were fine if not very good together. Is there a rule they have to draft a WR or two every year? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Jaguars_draft_history

So many Jags doing well elsewhere is telling

Urban Meyer is such a high ego personality I was blown away by the hire. They needed a major name GM and/or team pres to say stop messing with a good thing! about a thousand times this first year. 

The day this franchise figures out that depth players are so useful, the NFL is gonna have a solid team to reckon with. Right now, I can't wait for their house cleaning rebuild so the Titans can fill the holes of their 22? free agents they have. James Robinson stinks because he was a UDFA right? I mean Henry needs a backup 🙂 

It's the Jaguars.  It does not matter if he succeeds.  He was hired to make them relevant and sell tickets.   And I bet that works.  The number of OSU and UF fans in Jacksonville is huge.  $12M in annual cost will lead to $40M+ in annual revenue.  Combine that with Trevor Lawrence and snag the entire SEC crowd...even more $s.  Even a different QB and it's still an upgrade.   If he manages to make them a decent team, it's icing on the cake.

I didn't want to pound down in the Jags team thread but I did want to weigh in and see if others are left scratching their heads.

-No NFL experience, NONE! Let's start there

-A laundry list of coaches in the NFL that hate his guts for not tipping hands on players like Aaron Hernandez, he knew who he was at Florida

-Faked an illness to get out of Florida and leave amid some rumored scandals. 

-Didn't last long at OSU, had more scandals there involving Domestic Battery/Abuse and while that wasn't Urban directly, it was one of his coaches that he was loyal to. 

-This is a pure last pay day of his life, there will no Pete Carroll reincarnation in Jacksonville, Pete is a completely different type of coach and I don't think Meyer will be able to hold the locker room together when things go South. 

-$12,000,000.00??? $12MM, $12 Million...$12 MILLION, are you fBomb kidding me? Was there a tug of war with the Jets or something for his services?

Worst coach that could have been hired IMHO almost bar none. Poor Trevor is going to get off to an awful start in the J-A-X

I'm sorry Jags fans, be happy though you get Lawrence, he actually got the NCAA to start playing again this year...well he was a big voice and part of the solution not the problem. I love this kid and think he will succeed but Meyer is going to set him back a few years. Jacksonville will not be able to run the rookie-QB run to the SUper Bowl, you have a 3 year window and they just blew it. 
Meyer could go into hibernation for 3 years and do twice the job of Anthony Lynn.

Let’s at least give him a chance. 

Meyer deserves a chance but I'm really skeptical. Any guy who self-identifies himself as a "coach's coach" in his first interview since getting the gig deserves extra special attention.

It's the Jaguars.  It does not matter if he succeeds.  He was hired to make them relevant and sell tickets.   And I bet that works.  The number of OSU and UF fans in Jacksonville is huge.  $12M in annual cost will lead to $40M+ in annual revenue.  Combine that with Trevor Lawrence and snag the entire SEC crowd...even more $s.  Even a different QB and it's still an upgrade.   If he manages to make them a decent team, it's icing on the cake.
Lawrence played in the ACC if I'm not mistaken, but I see your point about relevance in the fall season compared with the college programs in the state and the overall point about increasing ticket and sales revenue. Heck, Lawrence alone could have done that. Now, they get to trot out a guy who won national championships in college as the centerpiece of their organization.

Wins are just gravy.

I think Meyer has a tough time. Seems like a lot of these do because the transition is so rough. And say what you will about good or bad resources. He's going to have very little excuse now that he has Trevor Lawrence and the 1.1 plus other picks ready to go. He's inheriting a good situation.

And by the way, with respect to the Johnny Utah #9 argument before about resources, I think Johnny makes a good point but doesn't point out this: It's not like he didn't have his pick of the litter for QB recruits in the country; he just didn't recruit the right ones. Stick with Lawrence or flip the 1.1 for Watson, Urban. Two no-brainer scenarios where one won't be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread