What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hyphenated Names. The New Scourge? A poll. (1 Viewer)

What do you think about hyphenated names.

• Pick a name. No Hyphens.

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Eh, it doesn't hurt me. Let 'em go until they run out of letters.

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • You're an insensitive jerk. You should stay off your own lawn.

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

Ron Swanson

Footballguy
While watching a game this week I mentioned to my wife that I thought the trend of hyphenated last names had gotten out of hand.  She looked at me like a I had a third eye and proceeded to somewhat incredulously explain to me that it wasn't a "trend" it was because some women don't "just take their husband's last name". I get that. And I have no problem with it.  Other than it has always sounded somewhat snooty to me and I wish they would just take their husband's name or keep their own. But, I never realized that they were also passing this practice on to their kids. I guess I'd never really thought about it and just assumed the kid took just one of the parents first names. Apparently not.

So what happens with the next generation? And the one after that?  It won't take long before this is waaaay out of control. Just imagine, Marquez Valdes-Scantling marries JuJu Smith-Schuster (hey, gotta be inclusive here, it could happen), is Little Johnny called Little Johnny Valdes-Scantling-Smith-Schuster? Where does this madness stop?

I hate all names that lead to inefficiency.

So if Genifer Smith marries Bob Tchaikovskyvitz and makes her name Genifer Smith-Tchaikovskyvitz she will spend approximately 1/3 of her life spelling out her name. 

She should file name change paperwork after marriage to become Jen Smith and be happy with all the extra time she has. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Hispanic names rotate from first name, dads last name, moms last name, dads mothers last name, moms mothers last name and so on. But the child goes by first name, dads last name. I think that’s a pretty cool way to maintain a genealogy. 
I have also heard of couples who create a new last name, then husband wife and future children all have that name. I’m in favor of both of those. I dropped my middle name and made my maiden name my middle name then took my husbands name, but we are very traditional. I would not give my child a different name from me. 

So if Genifer Smith marries Bob Tchaikovskyvitz and makes her name Genifer Smith-Tchaikovskyvitz she will spend approximately 1/3 of her life spelling out her name. 

She should file name change paperwork after marriage to become Jen Smith and be happy with all the extra time she has. 
If Genifer Smith marries anyone, the person she married made a bad decision......because nobody should marry a woman who spells it “Genifer.”

That said, your post is spot on.

If Genifer Smith marries anyone, the person she married made a bad decision......because nobody should marry a woman who spells it “Genifer.”

That said, your post is spot on.
Her parents made that choice. Shouldn’t be taken out on her. She will probably name her kids Ann and John. 

This has been going on since the 90s.  Some women are still carrying on with this.  

When my wife and I got married in 1995, this was all the rage.  I talked to my then future wife and said I would rather you keep your name or take mine, but please don't hyphenate your name.  She told me she wanted no part of that and wanted my name.  (When I proposed to her, I told her I had only two things that could really share, my life and my name.)

What should Bob do? 

This has been going on since the 90s.  Some women are still carrying on with this.  

When my wife and I got married in 1995, this was all the rage.  I talked to my then future wife and said I would rather you keep your name or take mine, but please don't hyphenate your name.  She told me she wanted no part of that and wanted my name.  (When I proposed to her, I told her I had only two things that could really share, my life and my name.)
We got married in 95 too! Congratulations on 25 years!

Jen and Tom Servo sounds like a very happy partnership. Congrats!

wikkidpissah said:
the law in Vermont is if two already-hyphenated people marry, they must choose one out of the four names or change their last name to Lawfirm
BenJarvus Green-Ellis on line 4 for you, sir

My daughter's first name is hyphenated. 

I can only hope she won't hyphenate her last name if she gets married.

parasaurolophus said:

I knew a Jen Smith in college who had a thing for me.  She was an unathletic chick and had an annoying laugh.  No thanks.

There are three different tupes of hyphenated last names

1. Those that come from a non-Anglo geneaology
  2. Those that come from feminist concerns
  3. Those that come from biological mothers and biological fathers -- often people that do this will be honoring her last name as the person that raised them. Clyde Edwards-Helaire and others are examples of this
If you're watching football, chances are it's number three.

There are three different tupes of hyphenated last names

1. Those that come from a non-Anglo geneaology
  2. Those that come from feminist concerns
  3. Those that come from biological mothers and biological fathers -- often people that do this will be honoring her last name as the person that raised them. Clyde Edwards-Helaire and others are examples of this
If you're watching football, chances are it's number three.
Rock-Action is spot-on.

I don't care either way.  Not really my business.

BUT...

As a teacher I can tell you that about 70% of my students with hyphenated last names just use one of the names.

Me taking attendance first day:  Kylie Smith-Scantling?

Kylie:  Smith is fine.

Before that.  I knew someone in school in the early 70's who had a hyphenated last name.  It didn't even sound good-  Polt-Reed.  Just pick one already.
In the 80s we lived next door to a family who did this. Her last name: Menard. His last name: Ketcher. The kids’ last name: Menard-Ketcher.

You should only be allowed to do this if at least one of the names is a single syllable.

Jones-Drew? Smith-Schuster? Cool.

Valdes-Scantling? Get that #### outta here.

I believe Hispanic names rotate from first name, dads last name, moms last name, dads mothers last name, moms mothers last name and so on. But the child goes by first name, dads last name. I think that’s a pretty cool way to maintain a genealogy. 
I have also heard of couples who create a new last name, then husband wife and future children all have that name. I’m in favor of both of those. I dropped my middle name and made my maiden name my middle name then took my husbands name, but we are very traditional. I would not give my child a different name from me. 

I know someone who's mother's maiden name was Rodriguez, and she married another Rodriguez. I guess if she was hyphenated, she'd be Rodriguez-Rodriguez.

Then, for reals, she married a guy who's last name was also Rodriguez. I'm not sure if that would make her Rodriguez-Rodriguez Rodriguez, or, Rodriguez Rodriguez-Rodriguez. 

I know someone who's mother's maiden name was Rodriguez, and she married another Rodriguez. I guess if she was hyphenated, she'd be Rodriguez-Rodriguez.

Then, for reals, she married a guy who's last name was also Rodriguez. I'm not sure if that would make her Rodriguez-Rodriguez Rodriguez, or, Rodriguez Rodriguez-Rodriguez. 
Rodriguez Rodriguez Rodriguez is the name of my all-mariachi Charles Mingus cover album.

Edit: As an IT admin of a school district with a lot of Hispanic and single-parent households as described above, this gets messy very quickly, but we do our best to accommodate or find a mutually acceptable alternative if it gets  too unwieldy. 

I've made the observation that typically, people with hyphenated names are high maintenance........think insufferable feminist

But the second first name is a middle name.....
Dude, I know. Believe me. You're right. 

If you haven't been married before, and tbh it sounds like you haven't, here's a valuable piece of information that you should try to remember when arguments like this: inevitably happen: It does not matter that you're right. She has two first names and no middle name and logic is irrelevant.

But in the unlikely event that this specific thing happens to you or someone else here, let me give you this important correlary:  do not, under any circumstances, explain that it's like someone named William Robert Smith saying that they don't have a middle name. And whatever you do, don't start calling her Billy Bob. 

Dude, I know. Believe me. You're right. 

If you haven't been married before, and tbh it sounds like you haven't, here's a valuable piece of information that you should try to remember when arguments like this: inevitably happen: It does not matter that you're right. She has two first names and no middle name and logic is irrelevant.

But in the unlikely event that this specific thing happens to you or someone else here, let me give you this important correlary:  do not, under any circumstances, explain that it's like someone named William Robert Smith saying that they don't have a middle name. And whatever you do, don't start calling her Billy Bob. 
I am married actually.....15 years.

I married a gal who is relatively low maintenance.  She is my better half in every way.  Not saying yours isn't......and I understand choosing my battles.....I just know I'm a lucky man

Kinda dissapointed that no hyphenated aliases have popped up. I figured at least Tanner would be all over that. Orton Malloy-Tanner has a ring to it.

I would just go with Tri-Rod.

Users who are viewing this thread