What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donald Trump's tweets (1 Viewer)

Here is Twitter's explanation for Trump's permaban:

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2020/suspension.html

It doesn't claim that Trump's tweets incited violence at the Capitol. It claims that Trump's tweets are likely to inspire future violence.

But on the question of whether Trump incited the January 6 events -- I suspect that a poll of the people who stormed that Capitol would provide the answer. Ask them who inspired them to storm the Capitol. The most popular (honest) answer, I am pretty confident, would be Donald Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.thetrumparchive.com/

Someone help me explain how he incited violence at the Capital. (i am being genuine here)
documenting 5+ years of Trump inciting violence

Oh....you want just the Tweets. Aw, ya got me. Turns out Trump uses speeches, announcements, press conferences, proclamations, statements read by others (WH Press Sec)....if we're looking at Tweets in a vacuum without regarding any other form of communication, that's gonna take awhile.

There were something like 272K Tik Tok videos alone related to planning or getting the word out about the January 6th event. 

Gonna be awhile to unravel everything IMO. But Trump as Inciter In Chief doesn't seem like much of a stretch. 

He urged a massive crowd to march on the Capitol, which he knew was understaffed and underprotected. Then he held back the National Guard and tweeted "This is what happens" as his supporters violently attacked the police, killing one.
And then, for the cherry on top, he said he loved them and they were very special.

And then, for the cherry on top, he said he loved them and they were very special.
Still searching for the Tweet where he said “Stop. Go home.”
He did tweet "Go home" but that was not until after the mob had done most of its damage. He also asked the mob to "remain" peaceful, despite the fact that the mob was, at that very moment, attacking the police.

People who describe a violent attack on the police as "peaceful" should not be eligible for public office.

I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence!
This was Tweeted when they were occupying the Capitol. After they had erected a gallows, stormed the building, dragged out and beaten up a cop, and one of them had been shot.

Any normal PotUS would have walked into the WH briefing room, condemned their seditious activity, called in the National Guard, and demanded they surrender and/or disperse immediately.

Go home with love & in peace.
How about we quote the full tweet?

These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!

’nufced

These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!

’nufced
That wasn't the question.

He didn't say stop and go home in any tweet.  This was tweet that was closest to what the OP asked.

Also we have been asked not to copy and paste other peoples entire thoughts in this forum.

This was Tweeted when they were occupying the Capitol. After they had erected a gallows, stormed the building, dragged out and beaten up a cop, and one of them had been shot.

Any normal PotUS would have walked into the WH briefing room, condemned their seditious activity, called in the National Guard, and demanded they surrender and/or disperse immediately.
He should have laid the smack down earlier much like many other gov't officials over the last year.  For some reason politicians are more worried about playing to their base rather than serving and protecting.

He should have laid the smack down earlier much like many other gov't officials over the last year.  For some reason politicians are more worried about playing to their base rather than serving and protecting.
He should have the laid the smack down to the crowd he invited on Twitter for weeks to come to DC for an event that was gonna be “wild”?

He should have laid down the smack to the crowd he fired up with inflammatory rhetoric and then instructed them to march down to the Capital to let Pence and Pelosi how they feel?

Well that’s certainly a novel perspective you have, bnb.

He should have the laid the smack down to the crowd he invited on Twitter for weeks to come to DC for an event that was gonna be “wild”?

He should have laid down the smack to the crowd he fired up with inflammatory rhetoric and then instructed them to march down to the Capital to let Pence and Pelosi how they feel?

Well that’s certainly a novel perspective you have, bnb.
Not following you but that's OK.

He urged a massive crowd to march on the Capitol, which he knew was understaffed and underprotected. Then he held back the National Guard and tweeted "This is what happens" as his supporters violently attacked the police, killing one.
Wait, he actually tweeted that??

Wait, he actually tweeted that??
The exact words were "These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long."

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
The exact words were "These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long."
If Mitch and the Republicans in the Senate had any spine and sense of decency he'd call the Senate into session and convict Trump ASAP.

’nufced
Talk about a buried lede.

The part about going home in love and peace is sandwiched between a lie and a call to remember the day of violence and unprecedented action of storming the Capitol with almost reverence instead of shame.

Wording and tone matter. What should have been a categorically strong message of cease and desist -- done in person, live, as an address to the rioters and the nation, and not in 280 characters or less -- can almost be read as "Great job, well done."

Yet another unparalleled failure to add to the pile.

Talk about a buried lede.

The part about going home in love and peace is sandwiched between a lie and a call to remember the day of violence and unprecedented action of storming the Capitol with almost reverence instead of shame.

Wording and tone matter. What should have been a categorically strong message of cease and desist -- done in person, live, as an address to the rioters and the nation, and not in 280 characters or less -- can almost be read as "Great job, well done."

Yet another unparalleled failure to add to the pile.
Or in a prerecorded message. Although put him live and he probably doubles down on the rhetoric. 

Someone help me explain how he incited violence at the Capital. (i am being genuine here)

There are two pathways here

1) Did Trump fail the Brandenburg Test ( i.e. a question on whether he incited violence against a standard looking at the US Constitution and previous legal precedent)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/brandenburg_test

In layman's terms, the questions revolved around Trump's intent, how imminent the possible risk/danger was in reality and how likely "lawless" behavior would follow.

2) Did Trump violate Twitter's TOS

Because Trump is sitting President, this dynamic is very complicated as elected politicians are held to many different standards/rules compared to the average Twitter user.

I find it interesting, though not at all surprising, that with all the current impeachment talk on the forums the past few days, the gaggle of lawyers on site, in their bizarre mutual admiration society where they keep patting each other on the back for surviving law school, refuse to discuss Brandenburg.

Something to keep in mind is Twitter is NOT required to use the Brandenburg test. They can set their TOS any way they wish. Whether or not Trump actually incited violence to an actual legal standard ( people can argue and debate that all they wish, it's not that simple a topic) doesn't change the reality that Jack Dorsey can define what inciting violence is for Twitter and enforce that as he wishes. ( He changed policies over the Hunter Biden laptop in a manner that showed no real consistency)

The more pointed question ( that no one seems to ask or want to ask) is - Did President Donald Trump incite violence to the standards of Twitter's TOS to warrant removal?

The subject matter of this topic, via the title, discusses Trump's "tweets"

Asking the question this way separates the overall legal issue from the TOS issue. Jack Dorsey and many on the cancel culture woke lefty side don't want that distinction. It's not in line with their overall narrative.

The reasoning?

Direct Headline: Twitter loses $5 billion in market value after Trump is permanently barred from the platform

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/twitter-stock-price-president-donald-trump-permanently-banned-tweeting-2021-1-1029946778

Direct Headline: Hawley Reveals Existence of Coordination Tool Used By Big Tech Firms to Censor Users & Facebook Tool to Covertly Track Users Across Internet

https://www.hawley.senate.gov/hawley-reveals-existence-coordination-tool-used-big-tech-firms-censor-users-facebook-tool-covertly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79M32z1LgD8

Last edited by a moderator:

VIDEO: Big Tech's Antitrust Hearing: The most important questions

562,116 views •Jul 31, 2020

The CEOs of Apple, Google, Facebook, and Amazon testified before congress this week as part of an ongoing investigation into these companies. Some US lawmakers, along with legislators in Europe, are becoming increasingly concerned these companies have violated antitrust laws and are exercising monopoly power to crush smaller competitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvLtwV7DFwg

Direct Headline: Blizzard Preventing Users From Deleting Accounts

https://gamerant.com/blizzard-prevents-users-deleting-accounts/

** Separating the two questions forces a deeper look at future antitrust conflicts/litigation for Big Tech/Big Social Media. It raises the issue that there was clearly a coordinated Big Tech effort to wipe out Parler, a Twitter direct competitor, right when Trump was ousted off Twitter, naturally creating an immediate incentive for Republicans/Trump's ardent base/Conservatives to leave Twitter ( where the end goal was to destroy Parler, the natural alternative, while limiting Twitter financial losses). That it was revealed in Senate hearings that the "Tasks" internal coordination tool exists only makes the antitrust question even more dire for Jack Dorsey. The real nail in the coffin isn't from Trump, it's Tulsi Gabbard, she sued after she carpetbombed Kamala Harris in the primary debates when she was essentially deplatformed at the peak moment in her campaign.

The leftist "narrative" requires any discussion NOT relating back to Twitters own actual TOS operating outside of Brandenburg and actually operating outside of any actual oversight at all.  There are now claims that Twitter tried to prevent conservative users from deleting their accounts by claiming technical difficulties, much aligned to the "Blitzchung/Free Hong Kong/Blizzard" incident", which spirals into asking if Twitter is now opening itself up to a class action lawsuit from preventing users from leaving after Trump's banning, which only adds fuel to the antitrust claims.

Personally, I'd like to see the gaggle of lawyers in this subforum discuss Trump and the Capitol riots/protests in the context of Brandenburg, but I suspect it will never actually happen. After all, why would lawyers, where it appears nearly all openly lean left here, want to actually discuss the law that would most directly apply? **

Wait, are there some here that really think the President didn't fuel the terrorists with his rhetoric before the election, after the election and up to and immediately following the storming of the capitol?  This was the whole point of the "protest" last week and the "lets march to the Capitol, I'll be right there with you" crap.  He even put his own VP, a guy that had been fiercely loyal to the president,  in danger by telling the crowd he was weak and lacked courage.   

Even now the silence from the White House is deafening.   There have been threats made to political leaders and to the state capitols and courthouses across the country and this guy sits in his office without saying a word.  

I just don't get the love for this guy.

Trump met with Kevin McCarthy and blamed the riots on Antifa. 
Honestly if you’re still defending this guy you ought to be ashamed. 

Jonathan Swan @jonathanvswan 9h

In a tense AM call w Kevin McCarthy, President Trump today privately — and falsely — blamed "Antifa people" for storming the Capitol... McCarthy told him the riot “was MAGA” and he knew because he was in there, per WH official

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sneak-peek-1c44d7d7-d31e-4879-bff1-11965803be69.html?chunk=0&utm_term=twsocialshare#story0

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Jonathan Swan @jonathanvswan 9h

In a tense AM call w Kevin McCarthy, President Trump today privately — and falsely — blamed "Antifa people" for storming the Capitol... McCarthy told him the riot “was MAGA” and he knew because he was in there, per WH official

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/axios-sneak-peek-1c44d7d7-d31e-4879-bff1-11965803be69.html?chunk=0&utm_term=twsocialshare#story0
Wow - section 3 of the sneak peek :ph34r:  is huge.  All those big companies withholding monies from objectors.  Wow wow wow

Wait, are there some here that really think the President didn't fuel the terrorists with his rhetoric before the election, after the election and up to and immediately following the storming of the capitol?  This was the whole point of the "protest" last week and the "lets march to the Capitol, I'll be right there with you" crap.  He even put his own VP, a guy that had been fiercely loyal to the president,  in danger by telling the crowd he was weak and lacked courage.   

Even now the silence from the White House is deafening.   There have been threats made to political leaders and to the state capitols and courthouses across the country and this guy sits in his office without saying a word.  

I just don't get the love for this guy.
I didn't either until delving into the mindset and recruitment strategies of various cults.  

I'll be genuine too. 

Trump claimed he lost only because the election was rigged though providing no evidence of it. He continually repeated this BIG LIE hour by hour, day after day, state by state and court by court. He has a substantial # of devoted followers who drank the kool-aid of this BIG LIE. 

Trump then bullied his fellow Republicans to buy into the BIG LIE or they would lose his favor and the support of his followers. Many Republicans then took up the BIG LIE by fighting certification of the election state by state and nationally.

The Supreme Court and the state courts refused to buy into the BIG LIE. Trump attacked the courts. 

Election officials in Georgia were bullied by Trump to throw out the results by finding "more votes" for him. They refused.

Trump bullied Mike Pence to overthrow the election he refused.

So on the day of certification Trump supporters see no options if they want to free the country from a rigged election. Courts will not do anything, state governments wont do anything, the Vice President wont do anything, the Congress will not do anything.

So Trump and company give their speeches again repeatedly saying the election was rigged, telling them they need to fight, its trial by combat basically that they are ####### if they dont march on the Capital.

I 've heard interviews from Trump supporters that they were storming the Capital for him and that they saw no other option.

BIG LIE + Fighting Words = Assault on Capital

Users who are viewing this thread