What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Singers/musicians you should like but don't (1 Viewer)

It’s always Springsteen for me when this topic comes up.
Dylan for me. Never ever got into him at all and fail to see the appeal of his music. 

Springsteen.....he has had some great songs. Jungleland, Born To Run, Rosalita and Born In The USA was a big part of my summer of 1984 and still bled into the summer of 1985....that album was his pinnacle as far as commercial success. Everything since then....oh boy. And he sounds awful these days. 

But yeah.....Bob Dylan? 🤮

off the top of my head

Axl Rose

Robert Plant

Freddy Mercury

Dylan

Springsteen

Billy Joel

Billie Joe Armstrong

Chris Connell

Steven Tyler

Ozzy Osbourne
I know music is subjective. I will never tell anyone what to like or try to convince them. But the bolded?

LOL....two of the greatest rock god voices ever. Not even really much to debate. Legends. 

And the people who pile in to their shows, can't stand them either. 
Funny you bring this up. My wife and I were huge DMB fans in the mid and late 90’s. We really dig the music. Especially his first 5 albums (after that we let him go as it got same old same old been here done that). But we loved seeing him live early in his career. It was a live show where we drew the line.

We had front row seats in West Palm (Coral Sky Amphitheater) for the Stand Up Tour. They were a birthday gift to my wife (who was an even bigger fan). We had people piling on top of us all ****ing night. It was insane. It got so bad we had to ask security if they could help us out. People were literally jamming into the row and shoving us out into the aisle’s. And these were shirtless stinky ***k’s high as a freaking kite or tripping on some heavy acid or shrooms. Complete chaos. I mean when I was 16-21 I had some crazy fun at concerts but never did this kind of BS. I think this was 2007 when this happened. I was 37 and to this day am still an avid concert goer (COVID YOU SUCK!!). I have been to probably over 300 major shows in my life not including club gigs. This was unlike anything I ever experienced. And I have been to large festivals, etc etc. Been to several Phish Shows....all very cool. But this?

Security was non existent and we ended up walking out of the show about halfway into just the 4th song (which is actually the halfway point of a DMB show because they jam forever in every song). I was so pissed off I wrote a letter to the venues head of security detailing what took place. They credited me $500 per person for future shows. I was really outraged. They literally ignored us and did nothing to get the situation under control. It was pure chaos. 

Their caravan (the lunatics that follow them to every show and sleep in their cars and stink to high heaven, and get higher than high at every show too) fans are animals. We never ever went to a DMB show again nor support the band in any way since then. They could see what was going on......you would think they would stop or get security to get control of the first few rows. Nope.....not at all. They did not give a ####.

Just awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh.  I've always felt this way about Springsteen.  Interesting to see it's not just me.
He may be one of the most overrated. And I think it has to do with the enormous amount of fans he has. They simply love him. 

I get it. 

I am a forever Rush fan. We have a legion of fans that is also insane gaga over the band and their output over their glorious 40 year career. And there are people who simply can’t stand them. 

I don’t care. 

And I am sure Springsteen die hards could give a #### about us who think he is whatever LOL. 

The beauty of music. 

Todem said:
He may be one of the most overrated. And I think it has to do with the enormous amount of fans he has. They simply love him. 

I get it. 

I am a forever Rush fan. We have a legion of fans that is also insane gaga over the band and their output over their glorious 40 year career. And there are people who simply can’t stand them. 

I don’t care. 

And I am sure Springsteen die hards could give a #### about us who think he is whatever LOL. 

The beauty of music. 
:hifive:

I'll echo the Springsteen, RHCP, Dave Matthews sentiments above.

I'll add Van Halen and ZZ Top to the list of I just don't get it.

For me, loving the 90s Grunge, I should like Pearl Jam, but I dont.

Everyone tells me I'm supposed to like Rush.  I respect their musicality.  But I think it's dead music.  No soul.  The closest 3 human beings have ever been to making music that could come out of a computer.....

Everyone tells me I'm supposed to like Rush.  I respect their musicality.  But I think it's dead music.  No soul.  The closest 3 human beings have ever been to making music that could come out of a computer.....
Yeah it’s ok man. You don’t get it. And you don’t have to like them. It is what made them a cult band. They had some mainstream success and then were “in fashion” in the late 2000’s. 

But they have never been a mainstream band. And I am glad about that.

For me, loving the 90s Grunge, I should like Pearl Jam, but I dont.
Oh, this is mine.  I don't hate them.  Just very few songs of theirs I actually like.

I have good friends that LOVE them, and have gone all over the country to see them.  They even have his and hers Pearl Jam lyric tattoos. 

Too each their own.  

Pip's Invitation said:
On a similar note, I'm big into Phish and most of my friends from the Phish scene are really into the Dead, but I'm not. Other than employing extended jamming, they're nothing alike, and the Dead's approach mostly bores me. I prefer Jerry Garcia in side projects/session work as opposed to the Dead. 

Most of the other jam bands also bore me, at least the ones that made names for themselves in the late '90s/early '00s. Dunno what the landscape is like now. 
Agree they are nothing alike.  But I love them both.

There are some other jam bands that are good in small doses, Umphrey's McGee and Pigeons Playing Ping Pong.  

This is the only unacceptable answer in this thread.  Bowie spans so many genres, there has to be something you like.  

Everyone likes Bowie.
I'll back up Osaurus a little.  I don't hate every song of his but I'm not a big fan in general.  There's definitely a few of his that I like but I never go out of my way to listen to him.

Radiohead is static noise to my ears.  Have no clue how people consider that stuff 'music'.

Not that I don't like them, but I feel that I don't appreciate the Beatles as much as I should.

Joe Cocker/Janis Joplin :shrug:

off the top of my head

Axl Rose

Robert Plant

Freddy Mercury

Dylan

Springsteen

Billy Joel

Billie Joe Armstrong

Chris Connell

Steven Tyler

Ozzy Osbourne
I am currently sifting through hours and hours of 80s MTV video feed to clip out stuff I want to keep and by far the two most grating to me are Jefferson Starship and Robert Plant. Shudder.

Several years ago The Hold Steady got a lot of oxygen on this board.  They are/were beyond awful. Hey guys, lets blend the sounds of Huey Lewis and Counting Crows!

TURRIBLE!
Yeah, I don't get this one either.  Same with Kings of Leon.  Having a gravelly voice doesn't make you seasoned nor interesting.  

This is the only unacceptable answer in this thread.  Bowie spans so many genres, there has to be something you like.  

Everyone likes Bowie.
The problem with Bowie (and other musicians who were voluminous) is that he put out TOO much stuff.  For every terrific Bowie song (and there's loads of them) there is an awful, horrendous song (and loads of those too).  But, that'll happen when you put out an album every single year (seemingly).  

Pet Sounds from The Beach Boys is the most overrated album of all time.  Rolling Stone has listed as number 2 all time.  Based on that, I listened to it again thinking MAYBE I was missing something from prior listens.  Nope, it sucks.  I think it's just one of those albums that people feel required to worship.  And I like The Beach Boys well enough, but Pet Sounds is terrible. 

The problem with Bowie (and other musicians who were voluminous) is that he put out TOO much stuff.  For every terrific Bowie song (and there's loads of them) there is an awful, horrendous song (and loads of those too).  But, that'll happen when you put out an album every single year (seemingly).  
From 1970-1972, Bowie put out Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, and The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust.  I consider every song on those 3 albums to be great and best listened to in album format.  But after that, he became much more hit or miss.  And more miss than hit.  Some of the problem lied with him wanting to being cutting edge/experimental.

Users who are viewing this thread