What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Speech Yet? (1 Viewer)

If instead of going off on the Twitter tangent he had congratulated Joe Biden for winning the most secure election in US history, then yes it would have been notable.

OR

if he said this last Wednesday instead of tweeting about the Patriots who supported him

It must have scared him ####less by the brief from the secret service....maybe it's finally sunk in?  Better late than never I guess.

I see that they left "Dear Senator McConnell" on the cutting room floor. Probably a smart edit.

"No true supporter of mine..."

This is an implication that the violence wasn't carried out by his supporters.
It's also an implication that he's only condemning the worst of the acts.

And it also allows his supporters to interpret his words in a way that justifies their own behavior.

It's also an implication that he's only condemning the worst of the acts.

And it also allows his supporters to interpret his words in a way that justifies their own behavior.
"Knuckles, No-neck, go take our friend here for a ride!" 

"What? I didn't order any harm! I called him friend!" 

It must have scared him ####less by the brief from the secret service....maybe it's finally sunk in?  Better late than never I guess.
Maybe but when I heard a report that advisors were telling him that he could be at risk of civil lawsuits I thought that might be the one thing to make him change his tone.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
This would have been very useful in mid-November and needs to add the election was not rigged, I was wrong, Joe Biden won...but this is the best he's done since last Wednesday for sure. 

I appreciate he came out with the video but it's way too little, too late. If he wants to be heard he should go on all the networks on prime time with such a message. Also needs to admit there was no fraud and needs to apologize to the country for lying for personal gain. Finally, does not jive with all the reports that he was downright giddy watching the chaos his supporters were engaged in on his behalf.

This actually makes me nervous - the threats that Trump was advised of caused this speech. I hope it helps.

• Smile
Good speech. Glad he made it I think. 

Curious to see how he will be on his next off the cuff interview though or how he'll be if he has another rally. 

This is an implication that the violence wasn't carried out by his supporters.  He followed a script, but it's still just carefully worded lies.  This will encourage his supporters to continue to blame antifa or other bogeymen.
Imagine how pissed off you’d be hearing this while sitting in jail with no job because you followed his orders just last week.  

Meh, C+, B- at best.  It’s nice to disavow and repudiate the violence.  But even with the “no true supporter of mine” bit, it completely ignores that it was still done in his name and the “why” also completely ignored.  Until he unabashedly admits that Joe Biden is the newly elected President by way of a free and fair election process, it’s all CYA that falls short.

I hope it’s enough to quash any planned events in the near future, obviously, but I’m not giving him any bonus points either.

Overall reaction:  “good, now go away”

Last edited by a moderator:

This is an implication that the violence wasn't carried out by his supporters.  He followed a script, but it's still just carefully worded lies.  This will encourage his supporters to continue to blame antifa or other bogeymen.
But a smaller percentage will now. At least I think so. 

Good overall speech, even it is carefully worded. 

• Smile
But a smaller percentage will now. At least I think so. 

Good overall speech, even it is carefully worded. 
When I think about the best possible speech President Trump is capable of, that we can honestly expect of him, this is right up there. Regardless of the reasoning, ground was gained. Thank you President Trump. 

If he actually believed anything in that speech he would have been in front of a camera as soon as those goons breached the Capitol perimeter.  

Imagine how pissed off you’d be hearing this while sitting in jail with no job because you followed his orders just last week.  
You're going to have plenty of supporters saying the deep state made him do it. Or that it isn't him, it's a deep fake.
I can almost see the guns pointed at him offscreen, forcing him to read these painful words. He’s so uncomfortable and out of his element saying these things. It’s a complete night/day from the free flowing racism, insults, conspiracy baiting and calls to arms that he spews when he’s in his element at the rallies or on the White House lawn.  

has Biden condemned BLM and ANTIFA and his supporters and attacks on free speech as well ?

Trump has been consistent all along - support police, be a country of American's, protest peacefully etc 

has Biden condemned BLM and ANTIFA and his supporters and attacks on free speech as well ?

Trump has been consistent all along - support police, be a country of American's, protest peacefully etc 
Be a country of Americans. Talk a pause and think about that phrase for a bit. Repeat it out loud. What do you think he means when he uses those words? I think it's pretty clear.

Yeah, this speech was lol-worthy and anybody buying it... I don't know what to say at this point.
I bought it to the extent that he may now be serious about trying to stop a repeat of 1/6 on 1/20. I say this because if I were his attorney it's what I'd be advising him to do to distance himself from any liability on 1/20 and hopefully to mitigate any liability he may have and may be facing from 1/6. Put differently, given that a bunch of idiots storming capitals on 1/20 isn't going to win the presidency back for him, it's in Trump's best interests for 1/20 to be calm and smooth. And, we know Trump, if anything, does look out for his own interests. So, yeah, in a weird way I think he does mean that he doesn't want violence on 1/20 like what happened on 1/6 (which I do think he wanted but realizes now that was a mistake). 

I bought it to the extent that he may now be serious about trying to stop a repeat of 1/6 on 1/20. I say this because if I were his attorney it's what I'd be advising him to do to distance himself from any liability on 1/20 and hopefully to mitigate any liability he may have and may be facing from 1/6. Put differently, given that a bunch of idiots storming capitals on 1/20 isn't going to win the presidency back for him, it's in Trump's best interests for 1/20 to be calm and smooth. And, we know Trump, if anything, does look out for his own interests. So, yeah, in a weird way I think he does mean that he doesn't want violence on 1/20 like what happened on 1/6 (which I do think he wanted but realizes now that was a mistake). 
Right, the sole purpose is personal damage control. It couldn't be more clear that he loved that #### last week.

The Trump brand is as toxic as a brand can be to most people right now. That has to be giving him pause in addition to whatever legal exposure.

Apple Jack said:
2 hours ago, Zow said:
Expand  
Right, the sole purpose is personal damage control. It couldn't be more clear that he loved that #### last week.

The Trump brand is as toxic as a brand can be to most people right now. That has to be giving him pause in addition to whatever legal exposure.
Not sure why this surprises people. Of course it’s damage control. I’m looking forward to his next screw up when he can no longer control his impulses. 

• Thanks
Whatever forced him to do it, this was a good speech and a good message to send. Hopefully, it helps to stave off further acts of violence in the next week.

• Smile
Tom Skerritt said:
Cannot believe we are discussing whether or not this was a good speech, or even his best speech. The whole thing is a con. It’s all despicable. Gtfoh. Bye! Good riddance. Move along. I would say “see ya”, but I don’t want to “see ya”. Be gone and don’t ever come back. 
It was his best speech  :shrug:

It's impossible to say. It's like asking me which of my children I love most. They're all special in their own way. 

JK, I love the American one most.

• Laughing
Lest we forget, Daniel Dale had a very interesting article on CNN's site recounting the top lies (basically 15 primary themes behind the lies) of Donald Trump.   

Users who are viewing this thread