What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Dallas Cowboys - SIZZLER Open for a limited time. SF @ DAL (1 Viewer)

The Eagles requested an interview with Kellen Moore for the HC job? LOL
Scares the heck out of me. I am hoping it is just to gather information about the Cowboys rather than a serious interview, but in these bizarre times we live in, who knows.....

Last edited by a moderator:
You like the Quinn hire???
Pros. Seattle defense was ranked #1 during his two years at DC.

Cons. Seattle defense was ranked #1 the year before and the year after he was there. 

Im a big fan of hiring guys who have been head coaches. Quinn is a former DL coach and thats where we need to win. Get the guy some players and he has shown he can lead them. 

Id say Im not excited but Im also not mad at the hire. Who did you have in mind? 

How would you envision that going down exactly ?
Well, it is a real interview and I am sure they have seen something in Kellen they like putting him in contention for the position, but besides interviewing somebody for an open position, teams also take that opportunity to find out information about the interviewee's current team, especially if it is a division rival. I am hoping he is not that high on the Eagles list for Head Coach, and they take advantage of talking to a current Cowboy coach. Make sense?

Well, it is a real interview and I am sure they have seen something in Kellen they like putting him in contention for the position, but besides interviewing somebody for an open position, teams also take that opportunity to find out information about the interviewee's current team, especially if it is a division rival. I am hoping he is not that high on the Eagles list for Head Coach, and they take advantage of talking to a current Cowboy coach. Make sense?
I just didn’t understand exactly what secrets Kellen was going to give up about the Cowboys. He just signed a 3 yr deal to be their OC

I just didn’t understand exactly what secrets Kellen was going to give up about the Cowboys. He just signed a 3 yr deal to be their OC
He’s not. Wishful thinking with our rivals. No way Jerry let’s Kellen, or Kellen even wants to go there knowing that they have no intentions of hiring him. What are they going to ask about Dallas’ offense that they can’t see on tape? Do they really think Kellen is going to say” Well, the next time we meet on the field, on 3rd and 7 in the red zone I’m going to call a Statue of Liberty play” therefore you should hire me as to avoid it.😁

Kellen maybe going to find out his own information for Jerry?🤔 Seems about as crazy of a hypothesis.

Pros. Seattle defense was ranked #1 during his two years at DC.

Cons. Seattle defense was ranked #1 the year before and the year after he was there. 

Im a big fan of hiring guys who have been head coaches. Quinn is a former DL coach and thats where we need to win. Get the guy some players and he has shown he can lead them. 

Id say Im not excited but Im also not mad at the hire. Who did you have in mind? 
You do realize that Quinn inherited this defense from Bradley, he didn’t design or slot the players. He maintained an already elite defense. 

This LOB defense is also predicated on 3 things:

1. A total shutdown corner who eliminates half the field. 

2. An Uber elite FS who is both a ballhawk and has top end long speed. 

3. A thumper SS who can run fill and be solid in coverage. 

This also doesn’t even take into account Bobby Wagner. Now please look at our defense and slot players into the above - it’s a gross comparison and should make your stomach queasy.

What did Quinn do with poor to average talent in Atlanta while he had full control?

He’s not. Wishful thinking with our rivals. No way Jerry let’s Kellen, or Kellen even wants to go there knowing that they have no intentions of hiring him. What are they going to ask about Dallas’ offense that they can’t see on tape? Do they really think Kellen is going to say” Well, the next time we meet on the field, on 3rd and 7 in the red zone I’m going to call a Statue of Liberty play” therefore you should hire me as to avoid it.😁

Kellen maybe going to find out his own information for Jerry?🤔 Seems about as crazy of a hypothesis.
Exactly :lol:

You do realize that Quinn inherited this defense from Bradley, he didn’t design or slot the players. He maintained an already elite defense. 

This LOB defense is also predicated on 3 things:

1. A total shutdown corner who eliminates half the field. 

2. An Uber elite FS who is both a ballhawk and has top end long speed. 

3. A thumper SS who can run fill and be solid in coverage. 

This also doesn’t even take into account Bobby Wagner. Now please look at our defense and slot players into the above - it’s a gross comparison and should your stomach queasy.

What did Quinn do with poor to average talent in Atlanta while he had full control?
I put the pros and cons as a joke cause they pretty much canceled each other out. 

I’m not suggesting he’s a defensive genius but he runs a 4-3 and has shown the ability to coach talent when it was in place. 

Much like Dallas atm, Atlanta didn’t have the horses they had in Seattle. 

While it doesn’t feel like we hired the next Bill Belichick, I’m elated we got the eccentric Mike Nolan and his 3-4 out of the building. 

The Cowboys have an offense that’s capable of putting up 30+ a game, if the defense is just mediocre instead of historically bad, they can make a run. 

I’m optimistic. 

I put the pros and cons as a joke cause they pretty much canceled each other out. 

I’m not suggesting he’s a defensive genius but he runs a 4-3 and has shown the ability to coach talent when it was in place. 

Much like Dallas atm, Atlanta didn’t have the horses they had in Seattle. 

While it doesn’t feel like we hired the next Bill Belichick, I’m elated we got the eccentric Mike Nolan and his 3-4 out of the building. 

The Cowboys have an offense that’s capable of putting up 30+ a game, if the defense is just mediocre instead of historically bad, they can make a run. 

I’m optimistic. 
I will concede he’s better than Nolan.

What I want is Lincoln Riley as a HC and him to bring a entire staff of his own. No Jerry leftovers. 

I will concede he’s better than Nolan.

What I want is Lincoln Riley as a HC and him to bring a entire staff of his own. No Jerry leftovers. 
I also like LR and I’m intrigued by the idea of a fresh attempt but I can’t get behind a college coach jumping to the NFL. Jimmy was unique and that didn’t last long. 

Im lukewarm on Mike McCarthy. He doesn’t come off as the brightest bulb on the tree. 

I also like LR and I’m intrigued by the idea of a fresh attempt but I can’t get behind a college coach jumping to the NFL. Jimmy was unique and that didn’t last long. 

Im lukewarm on Mike McCarthy. He doesn’t come off as the brightest bulb on the tree. 
I am pro “blow it up” We don’t have the players, cap or coaching. 0 for 3. 

Relax, I didn't say he was going to give away all of the Cowboys secrets, an interview is a give and take of information. I am just saying that could be useful to the Eagles to gain some information. It was not meant as a dig against the Cowboys. Try not to be so sensitive. 

Relax, I didn't say he was going to give away all of the Cowboys secrets, an interview is a give and take of information. I am just saying that could be useful to the Eagles to gain some information. It was not meant as a dig against the Cowboys. Try not to be so sensitive. 
I don’t think anyone was taking it as a dig. I think that the whole idea that Kellen was going to give Philly any info about anything related to Dallas was silly. That’s all 

Not sensitive at all, so how about not taking offense to it? My response would be no different if Dallas brought in(heaven forbid) an Eagle coach who was never going to be hired as HC in Dallas, and Dallas fans said we were now going to have some useful information. Just doesn’t happen....Relax, wasn’t a slight I promise. 😉

To be fair, this has been said by a few Eagles fans, so it wasn’t direct just at you. 

Not sensitive at all, so how about not taking offense to it? My response would be no different if Dallas brought in(heaven forbid) an Eagle coach who was never going to be hired as HC in Dallas, and Dallas fans said we were now going to have some useful information. Just doesn’t happen....Relax, wasn’t a slight I promise. 😉

To be fair, this has been said by a few Eagles fans, so it wasn’t direct just at you. 
Fair enough. So you don't think one of the ancillary benefits of going through interviews for a new head coach is you not only learn things about the candidates you are interviewing, but you also learn things about the teams they work for? Even a little bit?

Fair enough. So you don't think one of the ancillary benefits of going through interviews for a new head coach is you not only learn things about the candidates you are interviewing, but you also learn things about the teams they work for? Even a little bit?
For sure I think you learn something about the candidate such as general team philosophy, but I would think the questions are more about coaching background, relationships with players, relationships with current owners, his family life, his communication skills, etc. Surely they don’t think he’s going to come in and hand them the Cowboys playbook.  I don’t see how the extremely slight possibility that they gain a “competitive advantage” makes a team want to request an interview, put up expense for plane, room,etc, and really just waste everyone’s time when deep down they need to be worried about actually finding a Head Coach for their own team. Especially when the good ones are landing on other teams fairly quick.  I would think wasting time on a coach you weren’t going to hire anyway, would get blasted by the Philly media for not spending that time going after real candidates. Unless of course you leak to the media and fans that “it’s all a ploy to gain Cowboy information”😁

But I agree with you that maybe they get a tiny bit of info. But it seems the better, more truthful info would to just call up an ex player who is disgruntled. Probably tell them all they need to know with no cost other than a phone bill?

Maybe the interview was just the opposite? Maybe Jerry (or Jerrah as he likes to be called by our Eastern rivals🤣) sent Kellen up to the enemy compound to check out the facilities? Get some eyes on training regimes, weight room equipment, ask questions about who would stay on as coaches and trainers and why, discuss which players are being cut and who are assets? Old Jerrah may be dumb like a fox.😈

For sure I think you learn something about the candidate such as general team philosophy, but I would think the questions are more about coaching background, relationships with players, relationships with current owners, his family life, his communication skills, etc. Surely they don’t think he’s going to come in and hand them the Cowboys playbook.  I don’t see how the extremely slight possibility that they gain a “competitive advantage” makes a team want to request an interview, put up expense for plane, room,etc, and really just waste everyone’s time when deep down they need to be worried about actually finding a Head Coach for their own team. Especially when the good ones are landing on other teams fairly quick.  I would think wasting time on a coach you weren’t going to hire anyway, would get blasted by the Philly media for not spending that time going after real candidates. Unless of course you leak to the media and fans that “it’s all a ploy to gain Cowboy information”😁

But I agree with you that maybe they get a tiny bit of info. But it seems the better, more truthful info would to just call up an ex player who is disgruntled. Probably tell them all they need to know with no cost other than a phone bill?
Actually I was surprised to learn that these interviews to gain info is very common, and you'd be surprised how much info they give up.  No I don't think this is some smart sneaky ploy, or Philly is screwing over Dallas, Nor is this a dig at Kellen if he does give some insight up.  I remember reading a couple articles a few years ago from ex-GM's regarding this exact scenario and it's really interesting the questions they ask them.  Trying to find those articles now but can't seem to find them.

I don't even think he accepted the interview request anyways though, did he?

From what I have read Dak is still gimpy.  Any new news?
Almost everything I've read suggest he is fine, if not on road to 100% pretty close, close enough you won't be able to tell a difference.

However at least two local Dallas media members are trying to fan the flames he's not ok. Guy who started it is a sports radio host and I don't listen to him but his report said that Dallas knew something with Dak, Dak knew it as well, and that he'd be cut in June. My problem with that report , among other things, is the last line. It makes no sense because he's not under contract so he would not need to be cut and by June he could have already signed his tag if wants to which would guarantee his pay. Another more respected media member in Dallas, ex-scout and NFL GM who worked for Cowboys.com up till last year I believe but now also in sports radio, is also fanning the flames saying his sources are indicating Dak is not recovering well.

Dak's not recovered yet and is about 2 months from his last surgery so I feel safe saying he's probably gimpy now. But I'm not yet at a point were I put much  stock in the two people who are now doing sports radio and IMO trying to be controversial but I'd not bet my life on it or anything. Most of all I think Dallas continues to want to re-sign Dak, all signs point to that, and don't think they'd be doing that if they did not think he was going to be ok.

4 year, $160 million with $126 guaranteed and no trade/franchise tag clause.  Like it to not, he's here to stay!

4 year, $160 million with $126 guaranteed and no trade/franchise tag clause.  Like it to not, he's here to stay!
that's a boatload of money, but i guess Jer could do it with all the money he collected from the Texans and their electric bills. It's a lot, but Dak seems like a good choice to invest in. 

Remember when when could have signed him for 33-35 million. 

I loathe our front office. Incompetent blow hards. 

I’d love to see them make a run at Rams Safety Johnson in FA, resign Aldon Smith and draft Caleb Farley (assuming Sewell is off the board). If Sewell and Farley are gone, then Pitts if he’s still there as long as the rest of the draft is defense. I’m hoping that 4 or even 5 QBs and 3 WRs go early.

Thoughts on the draft and FA???
I want the best LT available. He can play guard until we need him.

DT is an absolute must. We need some hogs in the middle to free up these linebackers. 

Im a broken record. You guys know what I want- every year draft OL,DL,DB,LB,TE.

Dont take project WRs. They never work for us. Take speed LBs super late if you’re gonna gamble. 

We need some alpha dogs that are also Intelligent. We have too many choir boys. (That doesn’t mean take low character guys, quite the opposite) 

I would change our plan of being a high octane offense and preach efficiency/execution and ball control scheme. Just because we have the ability to put up 40 points doesn’t mean we should. Can’t put the defense out there that many times. 

The Demarco Murray year would be my ideal offensive philosophy. God that was a fun year. 

I don’t watch much college football anymore 

How about you ?

eta: I want BPA that isn’t an offensive skill player
I don’t watch much - but stay on top of mocks. My passive point is that there is no players matching your description likely at 10. If defense, it’s like a CB unless Parsons fall. 

There should be an OT or 2 and likely Pitts at TE. 

This is a year that I all for a trade up or down. 

Users who are viewing this thread