What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mac Jones, JAX (1 Viewer)

Alabama QB Mac Jones declared for the 2021 NFL draft. 

Jones took over as Alabama's starting QB after Tua Tagovailoa went down with a hip injury midway through the 2019 season and led the team to a Citrus Bowl win over Michigan. He capped off his Alabama career with a national title as the Crimson Tide blasted Ohio State in Monday night's championship game. Jones, who shredded the Buckeyes to the tune of 464 yards and five touchdowns, had a statistically stellar 2020 season, completing 77.4 percent of his passes at a 11.2 yards-per-attempt average with 41 touchdowns and just four interceptions. Jones is largely seen as a product of an Alabama offense stacked with explosive play makers who took many of his short -- albeit accurate -- throws to the house. We could see a QB-hungry NFL team reach for Jones in the second half of the first round of the 2021 draft, or -- more likely -- Jones could be picked by a team on day two of the draft. 

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

Jan 14, 2021, 3:26 PM ET

I don't watch college football, but this article is lame. I'll admit, the authors 1st point is understandable, but has more to do with scheme than Jones ability as a QB. Based on his 1st point Kyler Murray is a crap QB too.

His 2nd point, is redundant. I broke down the YAC with each completion, and compared it with Joe Burrows 2019 stats. The difference between Macs 53.5 and Burrows 45.6 is 1.31 yards per completion. Which in reality, isn't noticeable in a real game, or is it? If you factor in the Authors 1st point, that Mac throws 34.1% of his throws at or behind the line of scrimmage, that would explain the the 1.31 yards per completion difference(and then some).

His 3rd point about 11.3% of Jones pass attempts were made out of the pocket. WTF!?! How is that a bad thing?? It sounds to me like he has a really good o-line, and is a pretty damn good pocket passer.

Sounds like he's just hating on him for no reason.  Personally, I think he'd be a pretty good pickup in Dynasty. late 1st-3rd round depending on your league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't watch college football, but this article is lame. I'll admit, the authors 1st point is understandable, but has more to do with scheme than Jones ability as a QB. Based on his 1st point Kyler Murray is a crap QB too.

His 2nd point, is redundant. I broke down the YAC with each completion, and compared it with Joe Burrows 2019 stats. The difference between Macs 53.5 and Burrows 45.6 is 1.31 yards per completion. Which in reality, isn't noticeable in a real game, or is it? If you factor in the Authors 1st point, that Mac throws 34.1% of his throws at or behind the line of scrimmage, that would explain the the 1.31 yards per completion difference(and then some).

His 3rd point about 11.3% of Jones pass attempts were made out of the pocket. WTF!?! How is that a bad thing?? It sounds to me like he has a really good o-line, and is a pretty damn good pocket passer.

Sounds like he's just hating on him for no reason.  Personally, I think he'd be a pretty good pickup in Dynasty. late 1st-3rd round depending on your league.
It's hard to evaluate a QB when you're surrounded by elite talent on the oline, at WR and RB, and are throwing from a clean pocket.  Burrow was able to make lots of plays when the pocket broke down, while Tua and Jones didn't have to. In the NFL, Tua hasn't shown an ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down, he was 2nd worse, better than only Lock. I'm not sold on Jones or Tua being more than average NFL qbs.

It's hard to evaluate a QB when you're surrounded by elite talent on the oline, at WR and RB, and are throwing from a clean pocket.  Burrow was able to make lots of plays when the pocket broke down, while Tua and Jones didn't have to. In the NFL, Tua hasn't shown an ability to make plays when the pocket breaks down, he was 2nd worse, better than only Lock. I'm not sold on Jones or Tua being more than average NFL qbs.
I can't argue with anything you said at all. I do most of my "evaluating" for my fantasy team by reading articles and watching games/highlights on youtube. I'm merely pointing out that this article is a piece of crap. lol.. Normally when I see an article like this, where the author is trying to nit-pick and slam the player based on well.... nothing. It usually means that the player doesn't have many faults, and I'd be more than happy to grab him in my rookie draft.

As far as Tua goes, I don't care how good his stats were in 2019. I wouldn't(didn't) touch him with a 10 foot pole. Hip surgery + football = recipe for disaster. I don't see how anything good can come from that. Plus I'm a Bills fan, and I refuse to have any divisional rival on my fantasy team.

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50: 2021 NFL Draft prospect rankings 1.0

Excerpt:

33) Mac Jones, QB

School: Alabama | Year: Junior (RS)

Jones has average size and athleticism for the quarterback position. He's operated out of the shotgun and pistol, showing incredible accuracy, efficiency and poise. He is a high-effort thrower, with slightly above-average arm strength. He's at his best on touch throws, where he can anticipate and place the ball on the proper shoulder of his target. He shows toughness to hang in versus pressure, although he rarely faced it with an elite offensive line protecting him. He isn't much of a threat as a runner and he lacks the twitch to consistently escape and buy extra time. Jones should become a starting NFL quarterback, but his lack of twitch and athleticism will limit the playbook with the way the game is trending.

Wow, rare to see someone touting the #5 guy as the #1 guy.
The standard joke here is "that's why he's a 'former' coach". 
But it is conspicuous that he basically did what Joe Burrow did but is being downplayed whereas Burrow was anointed.

I have Jones going no later than New England at pick 15, but I can see him leapfrogging Lance to go in the top 10.

The standard joke here is "that's why he's a 'former' coach". 
But it is conspicuous that he basically did what Joe Burrow did but is being downplayed whereas Burrow was anointed.

I have Jones going no later than New England at pick 15, but I can see him leapfrogging Lance to go in the top 10.
He would be lucky to go a little later. It would likely mean he lands on a decent team where he doesn't have to be a miracle worker.

He would be lucky to go a little later. It would likely mean he lands on a decent team where he doesn't have to be a miracle worker.
I'm monkeying around with a new mock draft and already have, through a series of trades, four QBs in the top 10. I could easily make a case for the fifth.

Jags take Lawrence, of course.

Carolina trades with NYJ (who decides to roll with Darnold) and takes Wilson

Detroit trades with Miami and takes Fields

San Fran trades with NYJ (now at the Panthers' spot) and takes Lance.

And I could see Denver taking Jones. You could flip Lance and Jones, it wouldn't make a difference to me.

Too much "average" talk going around on this guy.  That's just not gonna cut it in the NFL of today with how QBs operate.
It should be interpreted as "he has average skills...that add up to way more than the sum of the parts when actually on the field."

can it be possible that the age-old bias against Crimson Tide QBs in the pros is still valid? i mean, if Tua is the failure he appeared to be (which i'm not totally willing to stipulate) and the small fun of Jalen Hurts is attributable to OU more than Ala, arent we still drawing the line of Croyle-JPWilson-McElroy-McCarron-Sims-Coker ....................and now Mac Jones as overrated, lucky QBs shooting barrel fish?

can it be possible that the age-old bias against Crimson Tide QBs in the pros is still valid? i mean, if Tua is the failure he appeared to be (which i'm not totally willing to stipulate) and the small fun of Jalen Hurts is attributable to OU more than Ala, arent we still drawing the line of Croyle-JPWilson-McElroy-McCarron-Sims-Coker as overrated, lucky QBs shooting barrel fish?
"Alabama has always been one of the best programs in college football, but its record of sending starting quarterbacks to the NFL has been much more spotty. Though it can claim such Hall of Fame legends as Bart Starr, Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler, it’s been decades since a Crimson Tide signal caller has been effective in the pro ranks.

Indeed, before A.J. McCarron won two games with the 2015 Bengals, it had been 28 years since an Alabama alumni (Jeff Rutledge, 1987) had won a game as a starting quarterback in the NFL."

Ouch. And Rutledge was no picnic. He was the Giants backup for a bit before Hostetler, IIRC. Last quarterback drafted in the first round out of Alabama since Tua? Richard Todd in 1976.

Honestly I don’t know what scouts see sometimes. 

This kids accuracy is insane. He glides in the pocket, feels pressure and has the innate sixth sense on when to get rid of the ball. Everyone seems to be so quick to credit the weapons around him but I see time and again Jones give a nasty pump fake and draw his WR’s open.

Guy is a stud. People are drooling (and rightfully so in many ways) over the athleticism of the other top QB’s but this guy does some incredible things and people are dismissing him too easily off the team he was surrounded with, his predecessor and that he only played one full season as a starter. He moves in the pocket and displays similar accuracy to Drew Brees and his arm is plenty lively. 

Too much "average" talk going around on this guy.  That's just not gonna cut it in the NFL of today with how QBs operate.
If he is as head strong as the media made him out to be this season then he has a long career ahead of him. As a backup though. 

Gotcha. I couldn't tell what you were actually saying and if it was negative/positive or not. Sorry.
All good - and I think there's still reason to be skeptical. I'm just saying if the media narrative is apt then that's the case. I never trust a media narrative as far as I can throw it.

Honestly I don’t know what scouts see sometimes. 

This kids accuracy is insane. He glides in the pocket, feels pressure and has the innate sixth sense on when to get rid of the ball. Everyone seems to be so quick to credit the weapons around him but I see time and again Jones give a nasty pump fake and draw his WR’s open.

Guy is a stud. People are drooling (and rightfully so in many ways) over the athleticism of the other top QB’s but this guy does some incredible things and people are dismissing him too easily off the team he was surrounded with, his predecessor and that he only played one full season as a starter. He moves in the pocket and displays similar accuracy to Drew Brees and his arm is plenty lively. 
I really agree with this...since Alabama is on TV every week I watched pretty much all (or parts) of all their games...love the kid and I like the Brees comp...the kid is so composed and the accuracy is dead on...Sark did a lot of funky things this year and the kid always seemed in full command of the game-plan and he really didn't leave many plays on the field regardless of who the opponent was...I would absolutely love for the Patriots to grab him as I think he's exactly what BB wants in a QB.

Boston said:
I really agree with this...since Alabama is on TV every week I watched pretty much all (or parts) of all their games...love the kid and I like the Brees comp...the kid is so composed and the accuracy is dead on...Sark did a lot of funky things this year and the kid always seemed in full command of the game-plan and he really didn't leave many plays on the field regardless of who the opponent was...I would absolutely love for the Patriots to grab him as I think he's exactly what BB wants in a QB.
If he goes to the pats I will throw up

Did some quick math because I’ve been battling some haters on twitter:

Over the course of six ranked opponents in 2020 Jones was:

156/203 76% 2,333 27/3

This was the hardest SOS of the last five years at least (I’ll go back further at some point) and all regular season opponents were SEC.

Over both 2019/2020 he had 8 ranked opponents and was:

198/267 74% 2995 34/5

I want to see what other “scheme” or “surrounding talent” has done something like this.

156/203 76% 2,333 27/3

This was the hardest SOS of the last five years at least (I’ll go back further at some point) and all regular season opponents were SEC while he was with a new OC.

198/267 74% 2995 34/5

I want to see what other “scheme” or “surrounding talent” has done something like this.
Sark was the bama OC for 2 years with mac

156/203 76% 2,333 27/3

This was the hardest SOS of the last five years at least (I’ll go back further at some point) and all regular season opponents were SEC while he was with a new OC.

198/267 74% 2995 34/5

He's a strong decision making accurate distributor within the pocket when not under duress on a team with arguably the greatest combination of supporting cast and coaching to ever play.

An objective evaluation independent of that is pretty much impossible. 

He's a strong decision making accurate distributor within the pocket when not under duress on a team with arguably the greatest combination of supporting cast and coaching to ever play.

An objective evaluation independent of that is pretty much impossible. 
The one thing I have seen that has me slightly concerned was his distribution chart. He doesn’t seem to target the sidelines often.

I do think he is battling some unfair narratives. Bama has a history of over performing mediocre QB’s and Tua (who was consensus #1 before his hip injury) has made it seem like, once again, Bama is plug and play for the QB. He was slightly disrespected in the Heisman race too as his top WR won it over him. 

I just don’t believe it to be the case right now, without some compelling evidence, that his accuracy, decision making, and pocket awareness can’t be repeated in the pros. The great ones make it look easy and that’s what this guy did against every tough opponent he faced. Ohio State and Michigan both got pressure on him at times and he was able to move around with ease, timing was sharp and he has a feel for pressure. Passing from a clean pocket is the best way to look at a QB, admittedly, but he had a 125 QBR (#1) under pressure and I can’t help but be impressed by all of it.

The one thing I have seen that has me slightly concerned was his distribution chart. He doesn’t seem to target the sidelines often.
'Immobile Lamar Jackson' was something I saw tossed around more than a few times. 

Users who are viewing this thread