What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Digital Nomad : Z Machine Mexico for 8wks - NEW Update: 6/17 -- [Formerly Icon in Costa Rica] (1 Viewer)

Drove you or let you borrow his car?
Bingo.

First answer. Right answer. 

He refunded their reservation, then grabbed his keys, walked around the counter, and took them out to his personal car.. drove them 45mins to nicoya, waited for them to get tested, then drove them back,... stopping once to show them some monkeys he spotted in the trees. 

It apparently took significant insistence on their part to get him to take $40 for gas and his time. 

@yak651 wins a toast from the Gf and I, and the elusive Miryam

Yes I told Miryam we were toasting the FFA. She looked at me quizzically. My half drunk GF just rolled her eyes and said "it's his football buddies".

Miry then smiled and agreed... probably because she thought we were talking about soccer. 

Long day: fun teaser... 

today my bother and his wife had to be Covid tested for their results to post in time for them to return to America on their Tuesday flight. 

8am: My brother and I roll into the Alamo/Enterprise office 100M down the road... 

"Sorry we don't have your car" 

"I was here in person two days ago and confirmed the reservation with her (nods to girl next to him)" 

"Yes.. but we do not have your car." 

"Okay we will take any car, we have to be in Nicoya in 90 mins" 

"we don't have any cars sir," 

"why?" 

"sometimes people rent cars and then they don't return them. We have more cars coming from San Jose." 

"When well they be here?" 

"Tomorrow or maybe Monday" 

to be continued :lol:  
FYI, this isn't a Costa Rica thing - I've had it happen to me in the US (and Canada) and have seen it happen to the guy behind me in line twice 🙂

FYI, this isn't a Costa Rica thing - I've had it happen to me in the US (and Canada) and have seen it happen to the guy behind me in line twice 🙂
Also, a somewhat similar ending... when the guy behind me in line at the Fargo rental desk couldn't get the car he reserved, I gave him a ride... to Williston, 6 hours away.  I was headed there anyway.  He didn't give me $40, though 😞

Bingo.

First answer. Right answer. 

He refunded their reservation, then grabbed his keys, walked around the counter, and took them out to his personal car.. drove them 45mins to nicoya, waited for them to get tested, then drove them back,... stopping once to show them some monkeys he spotted in the trees. 

It apparently took significant insistence on their part to get him to take $40 for gas and his time. 

@yak651 wins a toast from the Gf and I, and the elusive Miryam

Yes I told Miryam we were toasting the FFA. She looked at me quizzically. My half drunk GF just rolled her eyes and said "it's his football buddies".

Miry then smiled and agreed... probably because she thought we were talking about soccer. 
It's impossible to sufficiently express enough love for every aspect of this post.

On a more serious note, where does Costa Rica rank right now on your list of places to just go spend time enjoying life?

It's impossible to sufficiently express enough love for every aspect of this post.

On a more serious note, where does Costa Rica rank right now on your list of places to just go spend time enjoying life?
Outside the US Samara is top 3 with Dublin & Cuenca.... leaning toward #1. 

Ill freely admit I've only been to about a dozen cities outside the US so my experience is VERY limited compared to many. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday we did brunch at Gusto Beach for some Pinto Gallo.... always an awesome spot. 

Images for the day

Afterward we geared up and arranged a "jungle & beach horseback tour" with Horse Jungle. My brother set it up via whatsapp. They were a few miles inland so we inquired about transport... 5mil. No prob. I ask my brother "that covers us getting home after, right?" He assumed so. #Foreshadowing :unsure:

We get picked up by a dude in a small 80s eta Toyota pickup. There are four of us. No problema. We jump in the back. Uber Costa Rica it is. We wind through dirt roads inland and arrive at a tiny rustic "barn" with 3 people handling a dozen or so horses.

We jump out and are greeted by an absolutely smoke show, Coco. Maybe 25yo.. 5'3"... tan... gorgeous smile... killer body... Thick french accent. Jesus. Coco will be our guide. Things are looking up.

We saddle up and ride for a good 4 hours... winding through "jungle" trails... down through Rio Buenavista with some mild river crossings... down some dirt roads to Playa Barrigona. Gorgeous beach. Had a good 30 mins to ride there. We were allowed to open the horses up to full gallop, which was pretty wild on a fairly deserted beach. Bucket list stuff for sure.

Returned back through some similar pathways.. arrived at the barn at sunset. Brother asks about our ride home. They don't know what we're talking about. It's now dark, they're washing the horses and winding down. After about 15 mins of the tour operator not responding to my brother, I text Keneth, the taxi from the fishing trip. He says he'll hurry.

Dude shows up in 15 mins. We jump in. It's dark. We are halfway home and I get a text, it's Kenneth. He's at the barn. ####. I tell Kenneth to come by the house and I'll pay double fare (10Mil) for his troubles.  Everything works out eventually. :lol:  

Last night we are at Dos Gringos having some beers and tacos... fully exhausted.

Me: "Tomorrow's Monday... first meeting at 9am.... back to the real world"

My brother: (side eyes me) "Really?"

Me: "Well.. sorta" 

13 days down 

26 to go 

Brother headed home today. GF and I back to working like usual. We've got 10 days to relax solo till we get company again. 

My day is pretty low key today so I'm probably about to head down to Dos Gringos Brewing for a couple beers while pushing emails around. Need to run over to Pali for a light grocery run. 

Chris & Shayna from the Durfrenes Youtube Channel (Canadian Couple who moved to Samara 4 years ago) have pinged us asking about going to get drinks tomorrow night so will probably do that. Really nice folks we've seen out a couple times. He's offered some pointers on getting land here (something we're looking at). 

Our 18th anniversary is Monday the 15th so booking a private sunset cruise then looking into a really nice beach dinner. 

The GF's BFF "B" is coming on the 19th. Still no word on "C" yet.... B is pretty sure she'll be flying solo at this point. 

Had dinner last night at Locanda... an Italian hotel/restaurant with an extremely exotic flair.  Just a stunning property... so quirky yet beautiful and upscale feeling. Unlike anything else down here. 

Images here : https://imgur.com/gallery/VPxMGSe

Killer table in the sand looking out over some daybeds at the water.

Dinner was about $70 and we ate like a King & Queen. 2 margaritas and a glass of red wine each. A creative Bruchetta, and she had a seafood pasta (handmade pasta + red clam sauce + shrimp / scallops / mussels / calamari)... I had a rosemary beef tenderloin w veggies that was insanely good. They didn't have the grilled lobster (1.5kg) on hand. 

Exploring the property was really fun afterward.

We booked it again for our 18th anniversary this Monday. Same table. They promised they'd have me a lobster :)

Doing a private sunset charter beforehand... dolphin/turtle watching / booze cruise. 

Had dinner last night at Locanda... an Italian hotel/restaurant with an extremely exotic flair.  Just a stunning property... so quirky yet beautiful and upscale feeling. Unlike anything else down here. 

Images here : https://imgur.com/gallery/VPxMGSe

Killer table in the sand looking out over some daybeds at the water.

Dinner was about $70 and we ate like a King & Queen. 2 margaritas and a glass of red wine each. A creative Bruchetta, and she had a seafood pasta (handmade pasta + red clam sauce + shrimp / scallops / mussels / calamari)... I had a rosemary beef tenderloin w veggies that was insanely good. They didn't have the grilled lobster (1.5kg) on hand. 

Exploring the property was really fun afterward.

We booked it again for our 18th anniversary this Monday. Same table. They promised they'd have me a lobster :)

Doing a private sunset charter beforehand... dolphin/turtle watching / booze cruise. 
The only thing keeping me from jealously hating your guts is the promised pics of friend C.

Update: 

C's passport was denied. No idea how or why. But she's out. Much to the dismay of many here I'm certain.

my apologies. 
You sonofa.....   <_<

Not to steal @[icon]'s thunder here, but I got the OK from my boss to spend 2 months out of the country.  Now my wife and I go into full plan mode to see if we can make it work.  We'll be bringing out 7 year old twins with us, as they are currently doing virtual schooling.  Currently targeting at mid-April departure.  My wife has family in Mérida, Mexico, which is on the Yucatán peninsula up the bend from Cancún.  I speak Spanish well, my kids speak Spanish better than I do, and my wife is a native speaker.

My boss said, "You HAVE to do this.  I'm super jealous."

Not to steal @[icon]'s thunder here, but I got the OK from my boss to spend 2 months out of the country.  Now my wife and I go into full plan mode to see if we can make it work.  We'll be bringing out 7 year old twins with us, as they are currently doing virtual schooling.  Currently targeting at mid-April departure.  My wife has family in Mérida, Mexico, which is on the Yucatán peninsula up the bend from Cancún.  I speak Spanish well, my kids speak Spanish better than I do, and my wife is a native speaker.

Hell yah man. Join in! I'll add ya to the thread title 🤙🏼

Awesome boss. 

You used to live in Spain, right? Don't go all vosotros on them.

Bunch of pics and backstory here: 

https://imgur.com/a/8VlM6EE

Town is fiesty tonight. Lot of loud cars and bikes peeking out in the distance. Made some tacos with a thawed chunk of the Mahi. 

Pretty big plans.... private charter, big dinner and maybe a proposal to a woman who's said she hates marriage for the last 18 years. 

What can I say, I like finding the line where I'm being told no. 😂

Bunch of pics and backstory here: 

https://imgur.com/a/8VlM6EE

Town is fiesty tonight. Lot of loud cars and bikes peeking out in the distance. Made some tacos with a thawed chunk of the Mahi. 

Pretty big plans.... private charter, big dinner and maybe a proposal to a woman who's said she hates marriage for the last 18 years. 

What can I say, I like finding the line where I'm being told no. 😂
GLLLLLLLLLLLL

GLLLLLLLLLLLL
Lulz... 90% change of a "I like things how They are", and I do too, frankly.  Just feels like the right time/place and will be delivered in a very "no worries either way" vibe. 

We'll still be us going forward no matter... 18 years in and we just click. Upside is We hopefully won't get asked anymore when I'm gonna "do it" 😂  

cheers ####ers 

The chick is really dying or is 'totally dying'?  Because it's sad to think of a young beauty dying...

Keep the updates coming...  
Mom had already had a few Rum cocktails when she explained so we couldn't pick up details, but she mentioned that she had some disease (long name)...we looked at her quizzically (partially not fully understanding her, partially not being familiar with the disease)... then she kinda shrugged and making a comment about it "taking people when they are far too young". The expressions from mom and her sister kinda gave us the implication that she was likely terminal.

She moved to Samara 2 months ago to enjoy the beauty of the place, but also to attempt extremely clean living/eating and other holistic methods of life extension. 

I was told there would be a ring...
We had a great talk at dinner about the topic. We're 18 years in and everything works great. She's always made it clear she's been against marriage. I'm not particularly lusting after the idea either, but felt like I at least owed her the ask after all this time. We're going to discuss it further once the dopamine rush of living in this place is behind us and we're back home. Realistically we'll likely continue on as we are, as we're really happy these days... but we'll discuss again in a month or two.  

Sick guitar duo tonight at Frank's the "gringo bar" on the main drag.

https://imgur.com/a/mOntrad

On the left is Tony puttagio, an up and coming local guitarist... Spanish / progressive flamenco style with a heavy John butler influence (confirmed with post show chatter). 

IG page: https://instagram.com/tonyputaggio.guitar?igshid=1c215sykktgn6

For better or worse we are now on a first name basis with many of the bar owners...

At 0:30 the bit floral shirt was a fist bump to Tom, the owner of Dos Gringos Brewing / Cocos Mexican... the adoptive father of Warren, the awesome co-brewmaster at dos Gringos... and crazy machete wielding boyfriend of Rosy our amazing awesome housekeeper (and cook at Las Olas).

At 0:45 is Simon the cool Brit owner of Frank's who bought it from Frank who just left town to bounce around a bit. 

About to crash... work tomorrow then meeting up with the Dufresnes for Chifrito at El Ancla around 4.

Miry is pushing us to join at Las Olas later for open mic night but will likely join for sunset cocktails. Turns out she's tight with Chris & Shayna (shocker, small town). Ironically neither had heard of Tony the guitarist tonight. They will hunt him down going forward. 

I'll try to grab a group photo.. all awesome people at the core of making this trip so amazing.

Just awesome... awesome people here. 3ish weeks in and already feeling like we're slowly finding a part of the local community which is cool but also kinda a bummer.

Don't want to leave...

Users who are viewing this thread