What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawer Guys (1 Viewer)

rustycolts

Footballguy
I am not always an idiot but when I am I am the king of all idiots. Here is the deal about 4 months ago my wife's dog died. So I wanted to get her another dog for her birthday. She loves French bull dogs so I thought I would get her one. They are pretty expensive so I was shopping online trying to find one at a reasonable price. I found one for $3,150 problem was I would not be able to get funds from my Edward Jones account for 3 days. I did not want a chance of losing the dog. I noticed on the breeders web site that financing was available. Figured I would finance it pay a couple of payments and then pay him off.

Now I am an old guy and very technology impaired I mean I just got my first cell phone this year and it sits on the kitchen table half the time. When I was on the breeders site I clicked on the link for financing and was approved. So when they sent the contract (this is where the idiot part really comes in)they asked me to digitally sign contract. I scrolled down without reading and signed contract. I thought I was getting financing that was the only word used up to that time.

So now a month later I check my checking account and see that they had automatically taken the payment out. I'm thinking to myself damn I must have accidently went paperless billing and automatic payment. I will go to site and change it. I go to contract to get customer service number and that was the first time I read it. Right at the top it states this is a lease and not a loan. Of course I missed that because I had scrolled down to sign contract. Lease is for 27 months total $7500 total. Then I read after 27 months the dog is still not yours you have to pay them another $500. So now that puts a $3150 dog to $8000 dollars. I'm thinking to myself fine I will pay it off now. Problem is if you pay it off early you still have to pay 75% of the lease which still puts the dog at twice the price I was supposed to pay.

Has anyone ever heard of leasing an animal? The terms of the contract seem kind of predatory and the way it seems to lead you to believe you are financing instead of leasing. Plus whoever has heard of leasing an animal it never crossed my mind that I was leasing. So do I have any remedy for being king of all idiots or am I just SOL?

Here is a pic of our new buddy.

https://imgur.com/a/WY0SbHf

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.  This is horrible Mr. Colts.  The usual advice probably applies here - best to contact a "consumer rights" lawyer in your area and go out of pocket $500 or so to get some proper advice.  You'll want to have a complete copy of the contract you signed. My personal off-the-cuff approach would be:

1. Call them and absolutely lose your #### on them, while offering to pay the full price of the dog (less what they debited) within X number of days (as soon as you can get the money).  If they agree, confirm in writing (email) immediately and make sure it is clear - you pay $X and then you own the dog free/clear and they waive / release you from any contracts, rights, etc.  

2. If that does not work, I would call my bank and cancel the ACH rights, forcing the dog breeder to sue you.  This might be bad advice, I have to say, but I would definitely do it myself.

Oh man... sorry to hear this Rusty.  That's bull####.

Agree with Cletius -- raise hell and get a real lawyer involved ASAP.  The dollar amount here is big enough that they might really fight you for it.

Wow.  This is horrible Mr. Colts.  The usual advice probably applies here - best to contact a "consumer rights" lawyer in your area and go out of pocket $500 or so to get some proper advice.  You'll want to have a complete copy of the contract you signed. My personal off-the-cuff approach would be:

1. Call them and absolutely lose your #### on them, while offering to pay the full price of the dog (less what they debited) within X number of days (as soon as you can get the money).  If they agree, confirm in writing (email) immediately and make sure it is clear - you pay $X and then you own the dog free/clear and they waive / release you from any contracts, rights, etc.  

2. If that does not work, I would call my bank and cancel the ACH rights, forcing the dog breeder to sue you.  This might be bad advice, I have to say, but I would definitely do it myself.
I agree with consulting a consumers rights attorney. This sounds like a scam. 

Before you "absolutely lose your #### on them", perhaps try to explain to them exactly what happened and propose your offer nicely.  If that doesn't work then lose your #### and hire a lawyer. 

Before you "absolutely lose your #### on them", perhaps try to explain to them exactly what happened and propose your offer nicely.  If that doesn't work then lose your #### and hire a lawyer. 
This is probably good advice, but when I see a "financing agreement" that increases the purchase price by over 250% with a prepayment penalty of 75%, I'm going to proceed directly to the "lose my ####" phase.

I went to my State Legislators office today and spoke to them about it. I am hoping to help future idiots to make this illegal in the state of Fl. It is already illegal in 7 states I think. I mean it is my fault for not reading contract but really who has ever heard of leasing a dog. I thought I was financing.

Holy crap. That lease is predatory but damn it are people that stupid? Based on OPs info above the leases are let’s say three years and the lady in the article  paid $1500 for the dog and her cost was triple. Basically she paid $1500 per year so she couldn’t afford $1500 but paying $125 a month before food/other costs seems OK?

Amazing what people who can’t chord their car payments and then their dog will buy. I know that’s not the OP, but this article is sad for all kinds of reasons.

I went to my State Legislators office today and spoke to them about it. I am hoping to help future idiots to make this illegal in the state of Fl. It is already illegal in 7 states I think. I mean it is my fault for not reading contract but really who has ever heard of leasing a dog. I thought I was financing.
Even if it was financing, you still should read it. I’m sure it had the total amount you’d pay in it and if you could pay it off early. Sorry to hear the trouble, but it’s always good to read stuff you have to sign especially loans and such.

Even if it was financing, you still should read it. I’m sure it had the total amount you’d pay in it and if you could pay it off early. Sorry to hear the trouble, but it’s always good to read stuff you have to sign especially loans and such.
Absolutely thought I learned that a long time ago. Next I will be helping a Nigerian Prince or letting them guys help me out with my computer. Really nice of those guys to be so concerned that they call me twice a day.

Before cancelling the ACH authorization, ensure that it won't mess up your credit.  This lease agreement sounds really shady but it's not worth screwing up your credit.

Holy crap. That lease is predatory but damn it are people that stupid? Based on OPs info above the leases are let’s say three years and the lady in the article  paid $1500 for the dog and her cost was triple. Basically she paid $1500 per year so she couldn’t afford $1500 but paying $125 a month before food/other costs seems OK?

Amazing what people who can’t chord their car payments and then their dog will buy. I know that’s not the OP, but this article is sad for all kinds of reasons.
Yep seems like they are targeting lower income folks,old idgits like me,animal lovers in general. Thing is they really lead you to believe you are financing.

Its refreshing to see a Friday afternoon thread on a Friday afternoon.  The world is returning to normal.  

Good luck to you.  

Yep seems like they are targeting lower income folks,old idgits like me,animal lovers in general. Thing is they really lead you to believe you are financing.
Definitely obvious what they are trying to do. I get what you tried to do but it amazes me what people will buy when they obviously can’t afford it. A dog is definitely a “luxury” item not a need.

If I were a lawyer and knew this type of law, I think I’d tear apart that lease agreement looking for any tiny loophole to turn things around and make sure they regretted this garbage. Totally insane.

Create an email address that sounds like a lawyer.  Write a “lawyer” speak email saying you represent yourself and put the terms that you’re willing to do.  You expect a written reply agreement within 5 business days or you will take this to the next level. 

I suggest your lawyer name be Saul Goodman. Has a nice ring to it. 

I called and spoke to them. I unbelievably remained calm. As I was speaking the agent asked if I was planning legal action. I replied no because I signed without reading. I did tell him I had gone to my state representative  and was going to make it my mission to make this illegal in Florida. I told them I would contact local news because I was sure they would be interested in a pet lease scheme that they led people to believe was financing. 

We have supposedly come to an agreement I will send them lump sum payment and they will release me from contract. It still about 300 more than he was listed at. Lesson learned.

They have not sent me an e-mail yet stating those terms yet. Until I get that they get nothing. I will go to the bank and make sure they no longer have access to my account. Man what a pain in the butt. Always know what your signing and be sure to read.

I called and spoke to them. I unbelievably remained calm. As I was speaking the agent asked if I was planning legal action. I replied no because I signed without reading. I did tell him I had gone to my state representative  and was going to make it my mission to make this illegal in Florida. I told them I would contact local news because I was sure they would be interested in a pet lease scheme that they led people to believe was financing. 

We have supposedly come to an agreement I will send them lump sum payment and they will release me from contract. It still about 300 more than he was listed at. Lesson learned.

They have not sent me an e-mail yet stating those terms yet. Until I get that they get nothing. I will go to the bank and make sure they no longer have access to my account. Man what a pain in the butt. Always know what your signing and be sure to read.
Good job. $300 is a small price to pay to put it behind you.

Great news and a good result.

Once you complete your obligation to them,I would still go to the local news and see if they will do a story about it. And, I would report them to consumer affairs. That's a predatory scheme they are running.

Once you complete your obligation to them,I would still go to the local news and see if they will do a story about it. And, I would report them to consumer affairs. That's a predatory scheme they are running.
yep

Yea you can bet I'm not done yet. I'm retired I need something to keep me busy. I also googled breeder and gave negative revue and explained everything that happened. She is advertising financing when it is anything but that.

Users who are viewing this thread