Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2021 Music Thread - 4/30 - Manchester Orchestra, Royal Blood, Teenage Fanclub, girl in red

Just searched this topic for "Silk Sonic" and nothing came up.  How has this song not been mentioned already?  Bruno Mars?  Anderson .Paak?  "Leave the Door Open".  Sweet and sultry soul, baby!

Also, just released today, a funky tune by Durand Jones and the Indications (I believe I've pimped them in previous music threads).

Witchoo

This is the kind of song you'd roller skate to.  Really digging it.

J

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spoon covering Tom Petty sounds so natural I can't believe it hasn't happened before https://open.spotify.com/album/6AmTuwJu8STQrIcPfMBPKN?si=S2zwaVA9QwWLgjAjIlElEw

New songs I've enjoyed recently Pay Your Way in Pain - St. Vincent Limbo - Royal Blood - some serious Muse vibes on this one. Between this, the Manchester Orchestra song and the DFA 1979 alb

Kiwi Jr. released their new album today. Their first album was really fun and this one is good too. The two comparisons they always get are Pavement and Parquet Courts and those are fair but they

Ok, so I listened to my first ever DJ Khaled album this past week.  Is there like some contractual obligation for him to have the statements "DJ Khaled" and "We the best music" included on EVERY song?  Honestly I found it comical that each song included one or both of those phrases.

That said, I really enjoyed "I Did It".  I'm a big fan of songs where the singer is obnoxiously confident.  I love the sample from "Layla" that's used.  Makes for a good tune in my book.

I'm going to bed,

J

The Black Keys' new album of Delta Blues covers is a good listen although it gets kind of samey after a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Eephus said:

The Black Keys' new album of Delta Blues covers is a good listen although it gets kind of samey after a while.

I like this Black Keys album better than the past 4 or 5 they put out. Huge RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough fan, so like the sound. I think they do a good job. Not as great as the originals, but this is sound the Black Keys should return to. Their polished sound on their Danger Mouse records weren't working for me. If anybody likes this and doesn't have any RL Burnside; Mr. Wizard is a great album. A ### Pocket of Whiskey he made with The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion is cool too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Greta Van Fleet. Love it.

I don't care what anyone says, I love it too!

On 5/15/2021 at 12:57 PM, Eephus said:

It is the kind of samey that I dig tho!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jaysus said:

I don't care what anyone says, I love it too!

It is the kind of samey that I dig tho!

Big BK fan. Need to give new album more time. Loved their last release alot more. Only so much you can do with these old covers though if you're gonna stay true to them. 

• Like 1

Minneapolis all-caps band NATL PARK SRVC is a seven piece with horns doing a goofy entertaining take on anthemic Indie.  The video only has 414 views so you'll be getting in on the ground floor :thumbup:

The Sharks

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Any thoughts on the new St. Vincent album? I’m still forming my opinion but Live in the Dream is a good Pink Floyd song— especially the outro.

I like her fine, but she's never really grabbed me. I'd say the new album works for me more than anything since her first. Iirc, she is right in @Northern Voice wheelhouse

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 11:59 PM, steelcitysledgehammers said:

Ok, so I listened to my first ever DJ Khaled album this past week.  Is there like some contractual obligation for him to have the statements "DJ Khaled" and "We the best music" included on EVERY song?  Honestly I found it comical that each song included one or both of those phrases.

That said, I really enjoyed "I Did It".  I'm a big fan of songs where the singer is obnoxiously confident.  I love the sample from "Layla" that's used.  Makes for a good tune in my book.

I'm going to bed,

J

Generally a staple of mix tapes in the hip hop world, but I'm sure you know that. My friends and I used to walk down the street going "DJ CLUE! DESERT STORM-STORM-STORM." We used to imagine us doing that out loud at acoustic night, too, but decided against it.

Was this a mix tape/CD independent release or a label release?

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Over the weekend I’ve been enjoying Dayglow’s new album Harmony House. Balcony is probably my favorite of the new tracks and Close To You is still a lot of fun.

• Like 2

J. Cole with a new album and Billboard Top 100 #2 single called "my.life." ft. 21 Savage and Morray

No cap.

Unfortunately, the song really isn't that good and borrows liberally from Styles P and Pharaohe Monche's "The Life," using the exact same chorus Pharoahe sings (and presumably penned) without crediting them in the "featuring" section of the track. These days, I guess good money begets good money, and they've paid off the appropriate people not to take credit, lest the original from 2002 or so become a smash all over again.

my.life.

The Life

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 8:15 AM, Jaysus said:

I am, apparently, a ska fan now!  ;)

I thought it was an April Fools joke when he teased it a few weeks back, lol @ dropping it on 4/20 tho

I think this is borderline genius 

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Just read that IDLES has covered Damaged Goods. sign me up

Link.

Love it. Kept the song mostly as is, but IDLESed it with the guitars especially.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

All four acts of ####ed Up’s Year of the Horse dropped some time in the last little while and hoo boy it’s a journey. 

I read that there is an opera included in there somewhere.  

Lots of Lorde rumors flying around today. :oldunsure: Supposedly releasing two singles from her upcoming album soon. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/2/2021 at 2:32 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

The new Mdou Moctar is very good.  Happy to see he's touring the US this fall - got 2 tix for Lincoln Hall show in Sept.

hes on the new superwolves too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

RR this week...

A place to bury strangers...I might have. (the answer is a powerboner from that song. Rips. Hints of Jesus & Mary chain)

Together Pangaea going for power pop...sounds good.

New Dead Can Dance single!?! A bit like an instrumental soundtrack to a massage so far...but I've still got 5 or 6 minutes left- maybe some vocals will kick in. (Eta...just kicked in...but might also be the mescaline)

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 2

New Wolf Alice is good too. Having a hard time getting excited for Liz Phair in 2021 and that's with the first sentence I heard from it being her talking about her ##### (her words, don't ban me)

17 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

New Wolf Alice is good too. Having a hard time getting excited for Liz Phair in 2021 and that's with the first sentence I heard from it being her talking about her ##### (her words, don't ban me)

Really liked Wolf Alice's first album alot, the second had it's moments, this one on first listen is kind of all over the place. Seem to be trying to find their sound and struggling a bit. Need to give it a few more spins.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:04 PM, El Floppo said:

Together Pangaea going for power pop...sounds good.

I like it!

5 hours ago, caustic said:

Lorde - Solar Power

Pretty fun, can’t wait for the album.

Interesting concept. Is she really the singer to execute that kind of song and video?

I dunno...

Let's see what the rest of the album sounds like. I prefer her at her ironic and cynical heights.

• Like 1

I'm listening to Van Weezer right now and I can't figure out if I'm being punished for something I did in my early teens to get sent to my room or whether this is voluntary. Because I'm unmoved yet immobile and unable to turn it off for some reason. The song I'm listening to blatantly rips off "Crazy Train" by Ozzy/Randy. Am I even going to look up the song to see what it's called? Nope, not worth the effort.

I've heard worse. This is total meh. Pitchfork's review kicks wonderful ###, which is a bit rare given their pretentiousness, but this little aside nails it. Last line cinches it.

"The title promises Van Halen, but the volume rarely exceeds Rick Springfield. Paired with Cuomo’s eternally boyish voice, the result is a cuddly, Build-a-Bear tribute to ’80 metal, with little of the rowdiness this music embodied in its heyday. The only parents this metal could piss off are ones with strong opinions about Pinkerton."

Edited by rockaction