What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Music Thread - Spoon, The War on Drugs, Parquet Courts (1 Viewer)

Not sure about you guys but I sure am looking forward to the next eight King Gizzard And Lizard Wizard albums to be released this month
KG and LW are both really good albums. They are such a weird band and so prolific that they kind of repeat themselves a lot (which is intentional because they have themes running through their albums) but it’s never dull. I could see people being really annoyed by this band but I think they’re really fun. Hope to get to see them someday if concerts ever return.  

It was a weird easy listening tune. Had to be a copycat name...unless they went completely off the rails. DEVO is apparently also reimagined as an r&b hip hop thing.
The Walkmen are long gone, I think. I always really liked that band. They got...well...old like us.

The Walkmen are long gone, I think. I always really liked that band. They got...well...old like us.
Hamilton Leithauser put out a new album in April 2020. I must have listened to it when it came out but I don't remember a bit because I'm old like us.

Hamilton Leithauser put out a new album in April 2020. I must have listened to it when it came out but I don't remember a bit because I'm old like us.
He did. I was all set to purchase it, and it wasn't very good. Or at least that was my first and second impression. I like his effort from 2016, I Had A Dream That You Were Mine. He collaborated with Rostam from Vampire Weekend for that album, and I thought it was excellent.

My current office doesn't allow me to use ear-buds at all. My entire life- from school through adulthood- I listen to music while I work. The last 6 months has been hard that way (and a few embarrassing chew-outs for having one ear bud in while cranking out drawings) and has made it hard to find time to actively listen to my spotify RR and DW.

So looking at my RR for this week...these look interesting:

The streets (I've heard it...not great)

Sharon von etten w/ IDLES (ok...interested)

Metz

Pist Idiots

The Horrors

GRMLN

Paul Weller (I mentioned liking another recent tune that was more guitar, less soul)

Born Ruffians

Of Montreal

Stephen Malkmus

I had made an off the cuff 1981 playlist in honor of Tims countdown. For DW last week, spotify slayed it with all kinds of stuff I remembered and hadnt ever heard before from those times. Lots of Krautrock, some  psychedelia and a bunch of straight up 1981 bangers.

Going to try to post that DW playlist here before it's gone...lmk if it works- I've been flailing with links from my phone lately

El Floppo said:
My current office doesn't allow me to use ear-buds at all. My entire life- from school through adulthood- I listen to music while I work. The last 6 months has been hard that way (and a few embarrassing chew-outs for having one ear bud in while cranking out drawings) and has made it hard to find time to actively listen to my spotify RR and DW.

So looking at my RR for this week...these look interesting:

The streets (I've heard it...not great)

Sharon von etten w/ IDLES  (eta...I like it, surprise)

Metz

Pist Idiots

The Horrors

GRMLN

Paul Weller (I mentioned liking another recent tune that was more guitar, less soul)

Born Ruffians

Of Montreal

Stephen Malkmus
Metronomy outtake is really good.

El Floppo said:
I had made an off the cuff 1981 playlist in honor of Tims countdown. For DW last week, spotify slayed it with all kinds of stuff I remembered and hadnt ever heard before from those times. Lots of Krautrock, some  psychedelia and a bunch of straight up 1981 bangers.

Going to try to post that DW playlist here before it's gone...lmk if it works- I've been flailing with links from my phone lately
Did that link work?

Why didn't anybody ever tell me Kraftwerks The Model is actually Snakefinger's?

And Songhoy Blues are a fun band out of Mali I'm likely late to the party on.

Gosh, I am old. I recognize one of the total Grammy Rock nominations. 
Become totally apparent it's 1/3 about music, 2/3 about politics these days.  And that might be heavy to the music end of things.
It was the best set of nominees musically in years. Finally not a bunch of washed up bands from 20 years ago.

If you're in these threads, you'd recognize all of the best rock song/best rock performance nominees. 

Kyoto by Phoebe Bridgers was my favourite song of 2020 in my countdown thread... her next single I Know The End might be even better.

Not by Big Thief came out in like mid-2019 but got a ton of attention/has already been taken in a bunch of FFA drafts.  UFOF was popular in here too

Lost in Yesterday was the best song on the new Tame Impala album and they're a festival headlining band. Let It Happen is one of the best 10 or so songs of the 2010s

The Steps by HAIM was #15 on my list. Their 2013 album Days Are Gone was really high on our annual FBG poll, The Wire was probably the best known song from it.

Shameika was the only "single" type song on the massively acclaimed Fiona Apple album. It's my least favourite song on this list but I appreciate there's a lot in it.

Stay High, the winner is credited to Brittany Howard but her band Alabama Shakes has been around a long time (Hold On was a big crossover hit like 10 years ago).

Rock/Alternative albums adds in Fontaines D.C., Sturgill Simpson, The Strokes, Beck, etc... all other FFA favourites

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the best set of nominees musically in years. Finally not a bunch of washed up bands from 20 years ago.

If you're in these threads, you'd recognize all of the best rock song/best rock performance nominees. 

Kyoto by Phoebe Bridgers was my favourite song of 2020 in my countdown thread... her next single I Know The End might be even better.

Not by Big Thief came out in like mid-2019 but got a ton of attention/has already been taken in a bunch of FFA drafts.  UFOF was popular in here too

Lost in Yesterday was the best song on the new Tame Impala album and they're a festival headlining band. Let It Happen is one of the best 10 or so songs of the 2010s

The Steps by HAIM was #15 on my list. Their 2013 album Days Are Gone was really high on our annual FBG poll, The Wire was probably the best known song from it.

Shameika was the only "single" type song on the massively acclaimed Fiona Apple album. It's my least favourite song on this list but I appreciate there's a lot in it.

Stay High, the winner is credited to Brittany Howard but her band Alabama Shakes has been around a long time (Hold On was a big crossover hit like 10 years ago).

Rock/Alternative albums adds in Fontaines D.C., Sturgill Simpson, The Strokes, Beck, etc... all other FFA favourites
Totally agree with this, there is some EXCELLENT music to be honored.  But performers such as these get far too little attention, in my opinion.  Instead the focus is on political movers and shakers.  To be fair, I do want most of those types off of my lawn as soon as possible and I am ancient so I am biased.

I am pretty sure that I got someone else's Release Radar this week as there's a bunch of music that is just not my style, and most of it as at the top of the list.  Odd... anyway, The Bronx has a new album coming out in August, and while it was not on my RR, you can listen to the first single here.  I dig it. 

I am pretty sure that I got someone else's Release Radar this week as there's a bunch of music that is just not my style, and most of it as at the top of the list.  Odd... anyway, The Bronx has a new album coming out in August, and while it was not on my RR, you can listen to the first single here.  I dig it. 
Are they playing straight up, or as their mariachi counterparts?

New albums today:

• Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders &  The London Symphony Orchestra - electronic producer + jazzy guy + orchestra = music nerd raves.
  • tune-yards - sketchy - I enjoyed advance single 'hold yourself' and posted it in here this week
  • Death From Above 1979 ... is for Lovers - this will probably be what I listen to first even though last time I saw them live they didn't impress
  • Xiu Xiu - Oh No - had no idea this band was still around
  • The Antlers - Green to Gold - apparently not depressing

New songs I've enjoyed recently

Pay Your Way in Pain - St. Vincent

Limbo - Royal Blood - some serious Muse vibes on this one. Between this, the Manchester Orchestra song and the DFA 1979 album out today, we're bringing dance-punk back I guess. I'm here for it.

Keel Timing - Machester Orchestra - if you like the first single, Bed Head, you'll probably like this, it has the same funky production and Silversun Pickups vibe.

You Can Get It - Arkells f/K.Flay - lead single off their new album. Indie Pop with lots of horns

A lot of stuff getting released lately is introspective music written and recorded during shutdown that seems out of sync with the Zeitgeist of spring.  Or maybe the algorithm is broken again.

The new GY!BE is good. Pretty straightforward though. Not that weird or scary or experimental. Kinda the same ol thing. 

New Orleans band Silver Synthetic is signed to Jack White's label but goes for more of a retro 70s Classic Rock sound than any of White's projects.  There's nothing you haven't heard a hundred times before but there's a high level of Pop craftsmanship in their songwriting and performances.

Unchain Your Heart

Paul McCartney has an album collaborating with current people (phoebe bridger's, st vincent, blood orange on my RR today)? Those songs sound pretty good so far. 

And new Liz Phair? 

Paul McCartney has an album collaborating with current people (phoebe bridger's, st vincent, blood orange on my RR today)? Those songs sound pretty good so far. 
Can't tell from looking quickly if this is an album of Paul remixes done by those artists, or actual collaborations. Also has Josh Homme, Khruangbin, Damon Albarn, EOB, Anderson .Paak and 3D RON

Users who are viewing this thread