What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Music Thread - Spoon, The War on Drugs, Parquet Courts (2 Viewers)

New Zealand band Wurld Series races through fifteen songs in under a half hour on their new album. Only two tracks clock in at over three minutes so if you don't like a song, there's another following shortly.

The classic NZ Flying Nun records sound is an obvious comparison but there's some threads of Psychedelia and Power Pop in there as well.

Distant Business

Nap Gate

3 that jump out at me today:

Remember Sports - Like a Stone - real excited for this one after Stereogum raved about it

Dinosaur Jr. - Sweep It Into Space

Field Music - Flat White Moon

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk what I just listened to but I liked the new album from the Armed 
I was selecting random songs from Lara Jane Grace's Spotify Vans playlist, this was on it, and I sort of dug it while having a "WTF?" reaction. I'll have to listen to it again if it's drawing positive yet quizzical looks from you, Nigel. Maybe I wasn't dreaming.

Dinosaur Jr. - Sweep It Into Space
Listening now. You might know that I'd sort of rediscovered Dinosaur Jr.'s first comeback effort in the aughts recently and loved the record Beyond.

I'm sort of liking this new one. It's not as good as their first comeback effort's triad. I always like the Barlow tracks the most. I'll check those. I think Beyond might be their best overall record when all is said and done. That feels like yesterday. It was 2007. Oof. :(

Yeah...remember sports and dino jr both on my RR today. Good stuff and loving the dino tbh.

Other stuff on the RR...

A place to bury strangers

Together pangea

Ice age

Sports team

Helmet covering Gang of four

Flying Lotus and Thundercat

We were promised jetpacks

The murlocks

The Bronx

Some big ones today - synopses are based on what I've read online, I've only listened to Manchester Orchestra (4 times already  :bag:  so far):

Manchester Orchestra - The Million Masks of God - continues down the same path as their last one A Black Mile to the Surface, which is to say it's pretty incredible if you like anthemic, melodic, quiet/loud alternative rock. Themes of death throughout.

Royal Blood - Typhoons -  the singles released all bring a more jagged dance-punk vibe and it really works. Themes of getting sober throughout.

Teenage Fanclub - Endless Arcade -  No Gerald Love this time, said to branch out into some fun new territory while still unmistakedly being a Teenage Fanclub album.

girl in red - If I Could Make It Go Quiet - Norwegian next big thing aiming to be a blockbuster pop album full of anthems, hooks, huge production.

The Coral - Coral Island - Massive, ambitious double album narrated by their grandfather - 

Gojira - Fortitude - Stereogum raves about this one calling it a big, groove-focused, stomp-### album "with gleaming production and no-joke hooks. It’s the kind of thing that almost begs to be heard in an arena, but its slickness never compromises its heaviness." I probably wouldn't have listened to it but now I will.

Crumb - Ice Melt - indie/psych rock

Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Matt Sweeney - Superwolves

Listening now. You might know that I'd sort of rediscovered Dinosaur Jr.'s first comeback effort in the aughts recently and loved the record Beyond.

I'm sort of liking this new one. It's not as good as their first comeback effort's triad. I always like the Barlow tracks the most. I'll check those. I think Beyond might be their best overall record when all is said and done. That feels like yesterday. It was 2007. Oof. :(
Beyond is my favourite Dinosaur Jr. album as well. That may be because I'm too soft for a lot of the early stuff :lol: . This one reminded me of Beyond but just didn't quite have the songs, basically I fully agree with your take.

Former Auteurs frontman and perennial English eccentric Luke Haines has another album out. As usual, his song titles are worth the price of admission including "Setting the Dog on the Post-Punk Postman", "When I Owned the Scarecrow" and "Two Japanese Freaks Talking About Mao and Nixon". 

He's always been kind of an acquired taste but his combination of catchy glam riffs and acute lyrical weirdness has appealed to me since he was in the Auteurs 30 years ago.

Ex-Stasi Spy

Northern Voice said:
Teenage Fanclub - Endless Arcade -  No Gerald Love this time, said to branch out into some fun new territory while still unmistakedly being a Teenage Fanclub album.
The first song is 7 minutes long and more than half of it is guitar solo. That's certainly different territory. 

Manchester Orchestra - The Million Masks of God - continues down the same path as their last one A Black Mile to the Surface, which is to say it's pretty incredible if you like anthemic, melodic, quiet/loud alternative rock. Themes of death throughout.
I like it but not as much as ABMTTS. It lacks hooks and gets a little boring at times comparatively.

I like it but not as much as ABMTTS. It lacks hooks and gets a little boring at times comparatively.
I think the opposite :lol: . I love the early  singles stretch with "Angel of Death",  "Keel Timing", "Bed Head" and "Telepath" but what makes it better than A Black Mile for me are the back end songs, particularly the big builds and flourishes of "Dinosaur", "Obstacle" and "The Internet"

I love A Black Mile too and think it has an even stronger start in "The Maze", "The Gold", "The Moth" and an absolute epic finale with "The Silence" but that back album 5 song run from "The Sunshine" all the way through to "The Parts" doesn't compare to the back half of A Millon Masks.. in my opinion

I was literally just coming here to post about their latest album.  I've probably listened to it over a dozen times since it's been released.  I'm really enjoying it.

My favorite track is "Another Last Time"

Good stuff!

J
Yeah, really digging it. Short album, was doing yardwork and it ended so I just started from the beginning again lol. Another Last Time is really good, also like The Wire, The Morning, pretty much the whole thing. Not reinventing the wheel by any means, but good, gritty rock and roll.

New Modest Mouse song - "We Are Between"

New album The Golden Casket out June 25.
It's got inklings of that funk/disco beat they used to pull off, but it submerges it in electronica. Then it has the inklings of that shout-along chorus that they're so good at, only it mutes the barking in favor of muted sheen.

That they're still releasing music twenty-five or so years after their best records is an achievement, but one wonders what exactly they have to give or why they're giving it.

I liked it, didn't love it.

Yeah, really digging it. Short album, was doing yardwork and it ended so I just started from the beginning again lol. Another Last Time is really good, also like The Wire, The Morning, pretty much the whole thing. Not reinventing the wheel by any means, but good, gritty rock and roll.
It's probably my current AotY.  I still digest music by albums and this has been my favorite of 2021.  I've enjoyed some other albums, but this one, so far, has been my favorite for the reasons you posted.  It's short and sweet with no trash/filler.  Completely listenable.

It's not necessarily new, but it is good.

J

If anyone wants to get irrationally excited (emotional?) for the return of concerts whenever that may be, I present Frank Turner - The Gathering (featuring Jason Isbell on lead guitar).

The first time that the beat drops in the bar, it’s going to be biblical
The second that sing along starts, it’ll be sensational
So sound the alarms and the sirens, the bells in the churches
Bring your parents and your kids into the street
Throw open the hatches

I’ve been missing the feeling when we close up the gaps between us
It’s better than the best benediction
More bracing than bloodlust
Because we’ve been waiting and wandering
practicing and praying, saving and slavering
Gathering ourselves for the gathering

We’ve been huddled in our houses for however many days like survivors
And we’ve been dutifully paying our dues
and playing heed to our advisors
But we’re pent up and we’re pissed off and we’re perilously close to the precipice
We’re butterflies in bullet shoes and broken creepers
Coming out of our chrysalis
Comes down to this:

I’ve been missing the feeling when we close up the gaps between us
It’s better than the best benediction
More bracing than bloodlust
Because we’ve been waiting and wandering
practicing and praying, saving and slavering
Gathering ourselves for the gathering

Altogether now…
This is our mantra:
We gather together
We look out for each other
Because we’ve got strength in our numbers
This is our mantra:
We gather together
We look out for each other
Because we’ve got strength in our numbers
And I’ll be the preacher
And this is the scripture:
Once more with feeling
This is a gathering
This is a gathering

rockaction said:
It's got inklings of that funk/disco beat they used to pull off, but it submerges it in electronica. Then it has the inklings of that shout-along chorus that they're so good at, only it mutes the barking in favor of muted sheen.

That they're still releasing music twenty-five or so years after their best records is an achievement, but one wonders what exactly they have to give or why they're giving it.

I liked it, didn't love it.
Yeah, if I were to do a Krista-style ranking of all Modest Mouse songs, that one would be in the bottom quartile.  It's forgettable.  But, regardless, I'm looking forward to the new album.  I'm surprised, actually.  I thought they might be done making new music.  Probably wouldn't have if it weren't for COVID shutting down touring.

Yeah, if I were to do a Krista-style ranking of all Modest Mouse songs, that one would be in the bottom quartile.  It's forgettable.  But, regardless, I'm looking forward to the new album.  I'm surprised, actually.  I thought they might be done making new music.  Probably wouldn't have if it weren't for COVID shutting down touring.
Same here. I'm always up for new stuff, but if this is the best, I think I'm going to be a touch disappointed. That's okay, though. They had a long career and were a go-to staple of mine for a bunch of years of my life. That's good enough for fond memories. It is indeed quite a catalogue.

Same here. I'm always up for new stuff, but if this is the best, I think I'm going to be a touch disappointed. That's okay, though. They had a long career and were a go-to staple of mine for a bunch of years of my life. That's good enough for fond memories. It is indeed quite a catalogue.
Maybe it's because I took some edibles but this song is better than I gave it credit for.  The lyrics are about the absurdity of life which ties into the "Golden Casket" album title.  I think we'll see that theme throughout which is very Modest Mousey.  I'm pretty sure I'll like the album although I'm a fan and easy to please.

Van Weezer! 

It's... okay? On first listen, feels like a half measure, like they're not committing enough to the genre they're selling in the album title. 
It's too bad, really, but Weezer has been full of half measures since the Green Album. They already cut their Van Weezer, anyway. It's called Maladroit. I'll still try to see how much Van there is, though. I thought they'd shelved this project.

Manchester Orchestra did a solid cover of "Unknown Legend", one of my very favourite Neil Young songs the other day as well ( :bye:  @Pip's Invitation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_S78vDXmI

nice version of bedhead on cbs sat morn this weekend

ive been alternating between new gojira and superwolves since came out friday before last

thinking about driving up to chattanooga for that gojira show in aug.  they open here for deftones but I am guessing they wont play long. 

Users who are viewing this thread