What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chess Tournament- Final rankings Posted (1 Viewer)

What are your thoughts on resigning? I see three schools of thought:

1. Always play to the end. Never quit. That’s what we learned in youth sports. You might at least luck into a stalemate.

2. You should resign when you are almost certain to lose. In fact, lack of doing so can be seen as an insult to the winning player— that you’re doubting their ability to finish you off.

3. Do whatever you feel like doing.

1. Always play to the end. Never quit. That’s what we learned in youth sports. You might at least luck into a stalemate.

2. You should resign when you are almost certain to lose. In fact, lack of doing so can be seen as an insult to the winning player— that you’re doubting their ability to finish you off.

Do whatever you feel like doing IMO. Nothing wrong with the first school of thought, but I'm probably not going to force my opponent to demonstrate their ability to execute a K+Q vs. K mate. On the other hand, endgames are hard and even good players can let their opponent back into the game from a winning position.

In general I don't think resigning (or not) is reflective of sportsmanship (or lack thereof). But my one pet peeve is that if your opponent has a nice mating combination I think it's kind of lame to resign instead of letting them play it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

In a face to face match I almost always play to the end. There was one skilled player I used to play often that I would resign against because I knew the odds of him making an error were slim and we would start a new match afterwards. I resigned in my two losses here because I didn't want to delay the inevitable for a few more hours or days. 

Doublecheck my work, but I believe this is where things stand in round 2:

Mr CIA vs timschochet             0-1
AAA Batteries vs Murph            0-1
nysfl2 vs Steeler             1-0
juxtatarot vs Psychopav         1-0
Nick Vermeil vs ragincajun         1-0
Bostonfred vs fatguyinalittlecoat     1-0
Dezbelief vs shuke             0-1

Aerial Assault vs Freak Show        TBD
Zow vs Scoobus                TBD

I always play to the end, but don’t begrudge people for resigning when the game is in hand. Hate when you play someone who blunders like a knight or a bishop early and then just quits. #####.

Sorry, must have looked at the wrong post. 

I'd be nice if the first post had all the Chesstime names listed . . .
I cannot put it in the first post, but I can @ everyone.  I think I covered everybody.  Those with blanks are presumed to have the same handle at Chess Time as they do on FBG (or my Control-F needs repair).

This is probably error free.

@AAABatteries        AAABatteries
@Aerial Assault        Aerial Assault
@bostonfred        Bfred
@Dezbelief        
@fatguyinalittlecoat    FBGfatguy
@Freak Show        Freak Show
@Juxtatarot        Juxtat
@Mr CIA            OriginalSynapse
@Murph            BruinsMurph
@Nick Vermeil            
@nysfl2            
@Psychopav        psychopav
@ragincajun        Ragincajun
@scoobus     scoobus   
@shuke            
@Steeler        frinkahedron
@timschochet        timschochet
@Zow            wozzow

I almost always play it out, trying for a stalemate.  I think it improves my understanding of the game.  Sometimes I'll resign though, just out of frustration.

I always play to the end, but don’t begrudge people for resigning when the game is in hand. Hate when you play someone who blunders like a knight or a bishop early and then just quits. #####.
There’s a few players on these boards where I’d almost consider resigning after blundering a pawn - bishop or knight, it’s over.

@Zow @scoobus

Are you guys still playing?  Not rushing you but wasn’t sure if I needed to email the forum troublemaker for next round pairings.
Yes. And it’s on me as I’m playing at kutta speed. I’m slammed at work. Should have time to play this weekend. 

Sure.  I've been playing shuke now for maybe a year and am playing ragincajun regularly too.  Great fun.  Send me an invite if you want.  Aerial Assault on chesstime.  
I don't know how to invite people yet I just tried and it started a game against a rando.  I'm bfred if you want to do the honors 

I just resigned to scoobus. He punished my slow and inattentive play with a superior position. 

Sorry to everyone, and especially scoobus, for playing so slowly. Work is killing me right now. 

Round 2

Doublecheck on aisle 3:

Mr CIA vs timschochet             0-1
AAA Batteries vs Murph            0-1
nysfl2 vs Steeler             1-0
juxtatarot vs Psychopav         1-0
Nick Vermeil vs ragincajun         1-0
Bostonfred vs fatguyinalittlecoat     1-0
Dezbelief vs shuke             0-1

Aerial Assault vs Freak Show        0-1
Zow vs Scoobus                0-1

I