What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chess Tournament- Final rankings Posted (1 Viewer)

Thank you for the game Mister CIA. I look forward to playing you in the next tournament. 

Thank you Tim for organizing this tournament.

I beat fat guy. 

This was a crushing loss.  There was a point in the game where I literally thought I had won.  Like, “it is impossible for Woz to stop this checkmate that’s coming in two moves” thinking.  And then he escaped somehow and just took over the game.  Brutal.

This was a crushing loss.  There was a point in the game where I literally thought I had won.  Like, “it is impossible for Woz to stop this checkmate that’s coming in two moves” thinking.  And then he escaped somehow and just took over the game.  Brutal.
Yeah you had a nice attack there built up. I will first say that I’ve spent the last few days playing in a golf tournament so I didn’t play much of our match sober, but my memory is I knew I had to take out your knight to permit my king a safe square. So, I thought by taking your knight with my bishop you’d take back with a pawn, but I could safely maneuver my king to relative safety but would be down at least my H pawn. But then you took the pawn first allowing me to both move my bishop to safety with the double benefit of buffering the king. Then you essentially semi-hung your queen in the sense that you allowed me to take it for the cost of a rook and my bishop - a trade I was happy to make already up a knight and the fact that the trade essentially eliminated your attack. 

If you don’t mind me asking - and assuming my memory is correct (thanks az voters for prop 207!) - why didn’t you take the bishop after I took your knight?

If you don’t mind me asking - and assuming my memory is correct (thanks az voters for prop 207!) - why didn’t you take the bishop after I took your knight?
Yeah I just went back and looked and that's the exact moment when I was certain that I had won the game. I didn't take your bishop because I didn't think I needed to.  Instead I moved my rook into place so that the following turn I could take your pawn and checkmate you with my queen.  But I obviously failed to take into account that you would be able to stick your bishop in the way and ruin my finishing move.

Yeah I just went back and looked and that's the exact moment when I was certain that I had won the game. I didn't take your bishop because I didn't think I needed to.  Instead I moved my rook into place so that the following turn I could take your pawn and checkmate you with my queen.  But I obviously failed to take into account that you would be able to stick your bishop in the way and ruin my finishing move.
Yeah that makes sense. Well, it was a good attack. Just a bit of a blunder I suppose not seeing what I was doing with the bishop. 

Thanks, tim.  I'm always playing like crap when your tourneys roll around (10 straight losses on CT currently) but I enjoyed it.  And beat fred 4 out of 6 times.  

Appreciate you putting this together again this year Tim. I fear a mid tournament timeout has become a bit of a tradition now, so that makes it even nicer that you press on and organize again each year. Kudos!

@Murph I didn’t get the chance to play you so I’m challenging you to a game. 
Let the record show Tim is the undisputed champ.

Good game. I immediately regretted 11. Ng5. I'll be curious what the engine says. I don't know that it was an outright blunder, but from that point it felt like you were always one step ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the record show Tim is the undisputed champ.

Good game. I immediately regretted 11. Ng5. I'll be curious what the engine says. I don't know that it was an outright blunder, but from that point it felt like you were always one step ahead.
Ng5 is actually all right IF you follow it up immediately with f4- locking up the center and then you can retreat the night back to f3 and then Ne5. When you didn’t play f4 that allowed me to play e5 opening up the center for my troops. 

Ng5 is actually all right IF you follow it up immediately with f4- locking up the center and then you can retreat the night back to f3 and then Ne5. When you didn’t play f4 that allowed me to play e5 opening up the center for my troops. 
Post the game?  I’m always intrigued to view the games if you better players.

Post the game?  I’m always intrigued to view the games if you better players.

Tried to put it in a spoiler box to keep post size down. But I'm dumb.

1. d4 d5
2. c4 e6
3. Nc3 f5
4. Nf3 Nf6
5. Bf4 c6
6. e3 Bd6
7. Bxd6 Qxd6
8. c5 Qc7
9. Be2 Nbd7
10. O-O O-O
11. Ng5 Re8
12. b4 e5
13. f3 Nf8
14. e4 h6
15. Nh3 fxe4
16. fxe4 Bxh3
17. gxh3 exd4
18. Qxd4 Nxe4
19. Nxd5 cxd5
20. Qxd5+ Kh8
21. Rf7 Qc6
22. Qd4 Qg6+
23. Kh1 Qxf7
24. Rf1 Qg6
25. Bf3 Ng5
26. Bxb7 Rad8
27. Qxd8 Rxd8
28. c6 Qe4+
29. Kg1 Nxh3# 0-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's do this again soon.  I'm used to killing time with the combine results about now, but Covid protocols say no/

Tried to put it in a spoiler box to keep post size down. But I'm dumb.

1. d4 d5
2. c4 e6
3. Nc3 f5
4. Nf3 Nf6
5. Bf4 c6
6. e3 Bd6
7. Bxd6 Qxd6
8. c5 Qc7
9. Be2 Nbd7
10. O-O O-O
11. Ng5 Re8
12. b4 e5
13. f3 Nf8
14. e4 h6
15. Nh3 fxe4
16. fxe4 Bxh3
17. gxh3 exd4
18. Qxd4 Nxe4
19. Nxd5 cxd5
20. Qxd5+ Kh8
21. Rf7 Qc6
22. Qd4 Qg6+
23. Kh1 Qxf7
24. Rf1 Qg6
25. Bf3 Ng5
26. Bxb7 Rad8
27. Qxd8 Rxd8
28. c6 Qe4+
29. Kg1 Nxh3# 0-1
If Black plays 21...Qe5, Rxf8+! I nearly fell into that trap. 

Users who are viewing this thread