What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Putting an offer on a HUD home, looking for advice (1 Viewer)

Spin

Footballguy
When my wife and I first moved into our neighborhood, there was a basement home at the front of the neighborhood for sale (in Nashville area, basements are relatively rare since the ground is nothing but rock) that we fell in love with, but it was outside of my price range. 

Fast forward a few years and the house next door to it has been foreclosed on, and is identical, same exact model. It sold for 411k in 2019. It's 3100 sqft and has close to 1000 sqft of unfinished basement. The previous owners started to finish in the basement. It's got a finished bathroom with a nice tiled shower, a bedroom walled out and painted. They drywalled and framed a side room that has tons of boxes of sound proof foam in it, I'm guessing they were making a media room or some sound studio. They drywalled a ceiling in, stained the concrete floor and drywalled a bedroom and painted it. So the basement is mostly finished, and has a few sheets of drywall and unopened tile boxes that match the bathroom tile.

The current price for homes in this area is about $120 a sqft, so with the finished basement it'd sell for right at 500k.

They listed it at 375k, and are taking sealed bids through the 22nd. On the 22nd they'll open all the bids and whoever has the highest offer wins. It must be owner occupied and be the primary resident of the buyer, so we're not competing against investors. They also won't take a sale of home contingency, so you have to qualify for the mortgage outright. I think these two factors help limit our competition. I'm pre-approved for up to 450k without selling my current home, so I can offer up to that amount. I'd still sell my current house and would net about ~140k. 

The hardwood is destroyed, looks like they had big dogs, as there are scratches and deep cuts everywhere, so it'd have to be replaced. A few holes in the walls/doors and a lot of the light fixtures are missing. The carpet upstairs is destroyed. It's being sold as is. My wife's dad is a general contractor and did a quick walk through and said a quick estimate is it'd take about 50k to replace all the flooring/fixtures, paint the whole house and then finish the basement with what they started, unless we wanted to move some of the walls they built. But I like the layout, so we'd just finish it and paint. It was built in 2016, so all the appliances and hot water heater/hvac etc are all new. 

My real estate agent suggested we offer 387,550, and is 12000 above asking, and said he's pretty sure we'd get it at that price. 

Am I crazy for wanting to bid more to ensure we get it? It's a blind bid situation, which sucks because if we lost by like 500, it'd really suck. I know we're going to finish it all out, and have the money to do so. I'm looking at it if I bid 420, spend 50 to finish it, I just bought a 500k house for 470, and I'm pretty happy, and think we got a good deal. 

My wife and real estate agent are thinking we should try to stay under 400 because then it's a "great deal". But I'd live in this house for 5-10 years easily. Am I crazy to want to bid 40-50k more than the "list" price, because I'm seeing the potential of what it could be? 

You're not crazy.  It seems like on every listing these days, there's that one buyer goes way over and they beat out those that go just a little over.  I just had that happen to clients several times the last few months and the market is hyper crazy even more now that then.   I'm seeing $30-50K over on a lot of listings now.

If you have penciled out $30k in equity at your price, I can almost guarantee someone has penciled it out and is happy with $20k equity to start.

I like the fact that you've had a contractor out there.  Just need wife to agree now.  GL.

Spin said:
Oh for sure. If our bid gets accepted, the contract will be pending inspection. 
Seems your FIL (a GC) could take care of this before the offer since he has already been through and could take a deeper dive? You weaken your position by making the offer contingent on inspection, no? I'm guessing they want the least amount of potential hassle post acceptance and you just need to build that risk into your offer. Your position is strengthened by having the cash to finish. If it were me and you needed to add $50k to make it a $500k home w/o inspection i wouldn't go over $395k. Of course, I haven't seen the amazing basement and am never hurt by losing out of a purchase. YMMV. Sounds like you all are fine now without this house?

Seems your FIL (a GC) could take care of this before the offer since he has already been through and could take a deeper dive? You weaken your position by making the offer contingent on inspection, no? I'm guessing they want the least amount of potential hassle post acceptance and you just need to build that risk into your offer. Your position is strengthened by having the cash to finish. If it were me and you needed to add $50k to make it a $500k home w/o inspection i wouldn't go over $395k. Of course, I haven't seen the amazing basement and am never hurt by losing out of a purchase. YMMV. Sounds like you all are fine now without this house?
There's language that says we can submit an offer pending inspection if our bid is accepted. We just gotta figure out the "right" price to bid, now. 

You're not crazy.  It seems like on every listing these days, there's that one buyer goes way over and they beat out those that go just a little over.  I just had that happen to clients several times the last few months and the market is hyper crazy even more now that then.   I'm seeing $30-50K over on a lot of listings now.

If you have penciled out $30k in equity at your price, I can almost guarantee someone has penciled it out and is happy with $20k equity to start.

I like the fact that you've had a contractor out there.  Just need wife to agree now.  GL.
Yah, that's what I'm afraid of. The real estate agent said that houses that need work arnt moving very quickly in this area to owner occupied buyers with the current environment, so we've got that going for us. He said if they open it up to investors, they'll get a ton of 350ish bids. 

It's a HUD govt home being sold as is.  They are only going to care about the offer price.  The inspection is only for the buyer's peace of mind.

Yah, that's what I'm afraid of. The real estate agent said that houses that need work arnt moving very quickly in this area to owner occupied buyers with the current environment, so we've got that going for us. He said if they open it up to investors, they'll get a ton of 350ish bids. 
Then maybe 390 does the job.   Will be interesting to see how this turns out.   If your inventory is very low, then you might see that one crazy buyer that has missed out 5-10 times go nuts.

It's a HUD govt home being sold as is.  They are only going to care about the offer price.  The inspection is only for the buyer's peace of mind.
Yup, we can back out if the inspection comes back with something egregious, and we forfeit our earnest cash. But it's only a 4 year old house. It looks like two people bought it, started finishing the basement, got a divorce, and left it in its current state. 

On the original deed there were two names, then a year ago one of then quit claimed it to the other one. It was listed at 410k, then delisted a few days later. 

Ah, ok, the buyer has to follow through  either way despite inspection results?

You obviously have the experience with retail transactions. I'm only involved in investment property and haven't had a mortgage in 10+ years so will respond to an inquiry with that Spin (pun intended).

Then maybe 390 does the job.   Will be interesting to see how this turns out.   If your inventory is very low, then you might see that one crazy buyer that has missed out 5-10 times go nuts.
Yup. And that's what sucks about this whole blind bid process. We have no clue and just sitting here trying not to bid against our selves. 

Ah, ok, the buyer has to follow through  either way despite inspection results?

You obviously have the experience with retail transactions. I'm only involved in investment property and haven't had a mortgage in 10+ years so will respond to an inquiry with that Spin (pun intended).
Yes, pending some egregious, but we'd forfeit our earnest money. 

Yup. And that's what sucks about this whole blind bid process. We have no clue and just sitting here trying not to bid against our selves. 
that bidding against yourself is happening on normal home purchases also.  You just don't know if a home will have that one bidder that goes WAY over.   There's a huge pool, of well qualified buyers right now that keep losing in 5-20 offer bid situations.  The stories are insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not the same situation but when we were looking about a year ago to move and buy, there was a house they came available that we loved and was in the location we needed.  We immediately put a bid in for their asking price.  They said they were talking to one other offer and I “countered” with 5k over asking but they had 24 hours to accept.  I would have gone 10k over but they accepted later the same day.  If you love the house and it’s a good deal then I’d do it - how much over I’m not qualified to say.  For us it was an easy decision because we had limited options with locations.  Good luck.

Upped our bid to a bit over 400.  We ran a bunch of comps, and if it didn't need new hardwood/carpet/paint/fixtures it'd be in the 415ish range with the unfinished basement.  So with ~25kish to address that, we know we're overbidding its current market "worth", but the value to gain from finishing the basement is too much to pass up in this market.  Hell we were looking at houses that were much smaller, going for way more.  Hopefully our "overbid" takes it.  We'll find out Friday.

My parents did this about 5-6 years ago and have over doubled their investment.

I was not part of the experience directly, but my advice is to BE PATIENT. The process is anything but quick. If you don't WIN the bid, don't stress. My parents were 3rd/4th highest bid but the higher bidders kept falling through and when it was their turn they swooped in and made out like bandits.

ETA: Their house is probably half the size of yours and my father is the living embodiment of Tim the Toolman Taylor. 😂

Haha turns out we were that crazy buyer! We found out this morning our bid of 400,123 was accepted.

We'll never know what 2nd place was, but my wife's brother called the listing agent and pretended to be a buyer from out of state, and said his pre-approval was for up to 385. She told him she's already helped one couple place a bid, and that they were even going to increase their bid, so she would get someone else from her team to assist him. 

So we know at least one other person bid and was planning on increasing it, so glad we upped ours, too. 

Damnit.. Now I have to move again. I hate moving. Good news is, we get to now list our house in this crazy market.

Users who are viewing this thread