Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Urban Meyer is the worst NFL hire of the last 10 years, easily!

I didn't want to pound down in the Jags team thread but I did want to weigh in and see if others are left scratching their heads.

-No NFL experience, NONE! Let's start there

-A laundry list of coaches in the NFL that hate his guts for not tipping hands on players like Aaron Hernandez, he knew who he was at Florida

-Faked an illness to get out of Florida and leave amid some rumored scandals. 

-Didn't last long at OSU, had more scandals there involving Domestic Battery/Abuse and while that wasn't Urban directly, it was one of his coaches that he was loyal to. 

-This is a pure last pay day of his life, there will no Pete Carroll reincarnation in Jacksonville, Pete is a completely different type of coach and I don't think Meyer will be able to hold the locker room together when things go South. 

-$12,000,000.00??? $12MM, $12 Million...$12 MILLION, are you fBomb kidding me? Was there a tug of war with the Jets or something for his services?

Worst coach that could have been hired IMHO almost bar none. Poor Trevor is going to get off to an awful start in the J-A-X

I'm sorry Jags fans, be happy though you get Lawrence, he actually got the NCAA to start playing again this year...well he was a big voice and part of the solution not the problem. I love this kid and think he will succeed but Meyer is going to set him back a few years. Jacksonville will not be able to run the rookie-QB playbook to the SUper Bowl, you have a 3 year window and they just blew it. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Adam Gase has been hired twice in that span. A very risky hire to be sure, but no way it is the worst hire.

Gase was my first choice also. He has already shown that, while Meyer still has time.

The only time that franchise has had stability Coughlin has been there. It's awful for them. They're not a bad team at all, they just have no concept that fine is OK and just means a player is depth. I can't wait for my Titans to add Cole and Dede and a couple defensive linemen off the waiver wire. We'll draft bust DL so it'll be nice to add some that are actually good and umm we have roles to the player's skillset in TEN so Cole as the slot guy will be just fine. Do the Jags want Humphries big contract? 

Matt Jones, The weapon, Shenault....why are they obsessed with a WR that does other things? 

Ace Sanders and Rashad Greene were fine. They were speedy little buggers that should have played 10-15 snaps per game to get 5 yard passes. They were awful outside because umm they're speedy lil buggers.

Somehow they were never happy with Robinson and Hurns and always trying to get Marqise Lee healthy and add more WRs and....those two were fine if not very good together. Is there a rule they have to draft a WR or two every year? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Jaguars_draft_history

So many Jags doing well elsewhere is telling

Urban Meyer is such a high ego personality I was blown away by the hire. They needed a major name GM and/or team pres to say stop messing with a good thing! about a thousand times this first year. 

The day this franchise figures out that depth players are so useful, the NFL is gonna have a solid team to reckon with. Right now, I can't wait for their house cleaning rebuild so the Titans can fill the holes of their 22? free agents they have. James Robinson stinks because he was a UDFA right? I mean Henry needs a backup 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

I didn't want to pound down in the Jags team thread but I did want to weigh in and see if others are left scratching their heads.

-No NFL experience, NONE! Let's start there

-A laundry list of coaches in the NFL that hate his guts for not tipping hands on players like Aaron Hernandez, he knew who he was at Florida

-Faked an illness to get out of Florida and leave amid some rumored scandals. 

-Didn't last long at OSU, had more scandals there involving Domestic Battery/Abuse and while that wasn't Urban directly, it was one of his coaches that he was loyal to. 

-This is a pure last pay day of his life, there will no Pete Carroll reincarnation in Jacksonville, Pete is a completely different type of coach and I don't think Meyer will be able to hold the locker room together when things go South. 

-$12,000,000.00??? $12MM, $12 Million...$12 MILLION, are you fBomb kidding me? Was there a tug of war with the Jets or something for his services?

Worst coach that could have been hired IMHO almost bar none. Poor Trevor is going to get off to an awful start in the J-A-X

I'm sorry Jags fans, be happy though you get Lawrence, he actually got the NCAA to start playing again this year...well he was a big voice and part of the solution not the problem. I love this kid and think he will succeed but Meyer is going to set him back a few years. Jacksonville will not be able to run the rookie-QB run to the SUper Bowl, you have a 3 year window and they just blew it. 

Meyer could go into hibernation for 3 years and do twice the job of Anthony Lynn.

Let’s at least give him a chance. 

Meyer deserves a chance but I'm really skeptical. Any guy who self-identifies himself as a "coach's coach" in his first interview since getting the gig deserves extra special attention.

On 1/16/2021 at 3:23 PM, Drunken Cowboy said:

Adam Gase has been hired twice in that span. A very risky hire to be sure, but no way it is the worst hire.

This. 

Also I'm a Wolverines fan so no real love for Urban. But IMO he's one of the top 10 college coaches of all time and he's a winner. I have no idea if he'll flame out like Saban and Spurrier at the NFL level or if he'll find success like Carroll and Jimmy Johnson. But he'll get Trevor Lawrence right out of the gate and that probably guarantees some level of success. Really it's all about having a franchise QB. Any coach that has a good one, usually ends up doing better than average. And without one, even the best coaches end up with losing records. See Belichick this season. 

• Like 1

Said he couldn’t win in the SEC.

Said he couldn’t fix Ohio State.

He can’t put a staff together? He put Ohio State’s staff on par with Nick Saban’s. While there was turmoil there, he fought to bring in Ryan Day who is widely considered the best offensive mind in the country outside of Lincoln Riley. Tom Herman got the Texas job (ended up being a clown but still). Brought in Larry Johnson and Greg Schiano. Retained Luke Fickell and Kerry Coombs. He spent extensive time and effort putting that Ohio State staff in position year in and year out. 

The one thing I don’t like about him is his penchant to overly rely on designed QB runs. I think he fell in love with it with Tebow at Florida or Smith at Utah. He didn’t get back to more of a traditional spread offense until Day was hired and JT Barrett was gone. Even then there were reports he wanted to do more QB runs with Haskins.

I think the Linehan hire suggests more of a traditional NFL offense, which is good. 

The “NFL coaches hating him” for Hernandez... I’m gonna ask for a link on that one because that’s not what Hernandez’s old NFL coach says: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/bill-belichick-lauds-retiring-urban-meyer-great-man-and-good-friend

Also given that they’re so close it makes sense why he got $12mil/year (not to mention he’s the 3rd highest winning % all time in the NCAA) as BB’s rumored figure is closer to $25 mil as per PFT:

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/urban-meyer-salary-bill-belichick-contract

Nick Saban is making 9.3 mil/year at a public university. $12 mil/year from a $2 billion dollar franchise is quite reasonable with context instead of shouting into the void.

Seems to me the OP just wanted to add extra gripes about Meyer without being honest and painting the full picture. If it was just about him never coaching in the NFL, the Harvin/Hernandez drama and the Zach Smith fiasco, I’d be inclined to agree and move on. Let’s not paint a false narrative on top of those things. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30882524/jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-defends-hiring-controversial-chris-doyle

Urban Meyer being forced to defend his decision to hire a former Iowa strength coach accused of making racial statements and abusing his players. 
“But it was the hiring of Doyle, who had been Iowa's director of strength and conditioning from 1999 until this past June, that drew the most attention. Over the past year numerous former Iowa players spoke out about mistreatment within the Iowa program. A number of Black players said that Doyle used racist language and treated them differently based on their race.”

Because when you have a chance to hire a disgraced former strength coach over a similar candidate with no baggage, you have to take it. I’m sure this will go over well in the locker room. Things shaping up nicely in JAX. 

• Like 3

But not to worry, Meyer assured the media that he has thoroughly vetted this Iowa strength coach and investigated the situation. And besides, there is no better judge of character than Urban Meyer. If you can’t trust the guy who signed up Aaron Hernandez, who can you trust?

22 hours ago, Johnny Utah #9 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30882524/jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-defends-hiring-controversial-chris-doyle

Urban Meyer being forced to defend his decision to hire a former Iowa strength coach accused of making racial statements and abusing his players. 
“But it was the hiring of Doyle, who had been Iowa's director of strength and conditioning from 1999 until this past June, that drew the most attention. Over the past year numerous former Iowa players spoke out about mistreatment within the Iowa program. A number of Black players said that Doyle used racist language and treated them differently based on their race.”

Because when you have a chance to hire a disgraced former strength coach over a similar candidate with no baggage, you have to take it. I’m sure this will go over well in the locker room. Things shaping up nicely in JAX. 

He should hire Jim Turner next - collect all the garbage.

-QG

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, whoknew said:

And - Doyle has resigned. 

Nice work, Urbs. 

Oh wow. That's straight :tfp:

What had he been accused of saying at Iowa? Never mind, I can use Google. One on hand, you hate to see a man's career go like that. On the other hand, I've been around football programs before and know just how ignorant and potentially bordering on stupid and racist people can be. I wonder whether it's chilling of speech or whether his speech was really unchill.

Regardless of that, like I said in the other thread, it was a terrible hire. You had your choice of all the strength coaches in the U.S.A., likely. Why pick a tainted one to begin to build your program with?

I Googled it. No need to really have that kind of culture around in your locker room. Seems like borderline racist stuff that is really unnecessary among young men and older men trying to achieve a common goal. The examples aren't egregious, but have a tint to them that borders on racist. Sounds like the entire program has a race problem, though, from graduation rates to assistant coach treatment of players, though there doesn't seem to be any smoking, cross-the-line guns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 10:28 PM, Johnny Utah #9 said:

And now that he is resigned amid controversy, Meyer Era off to a roaring start.

• Like 1

On the coaching hire, they should have settled for the "base hit" instead of trying for the home run. There has to be plenty of "not terrible" coaches to choose from. They have the Lawrence pick, cap space and some decent pieces in place. Who wouldn't be excited to come in and take on that challenge?

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2021 at 3:53 PM, Leroy Hoard said:

Gase was my first choice also. He has already shown that, while Meyer still has time.

There is some recently biases with Gase. Yes he was terrible but he had a 10 win season and made playoffs. Gus Bradley won 14 games in 4 years for the Jags. Hue Jackson won 3 games in 2.5 years in Cle. 

Several of the HC hires this year have been head scratchers. I still think I'd prefer Meyer to Campbell or Culley

5 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

And now that he is resigned amid controversy, Meyer Era off to a roaring start.

So much for Meyer’s “I’ve known him for 20 years” comment hoping to smooth things over. Coming from a guy like Meyer, that’s not going to help Doyle’s case. 

Like I said in the other thread, this move was hubris on the part of Meyer more than anything else. This is the type of hire he would have fully expected to get away with in his college jobs. And the poor judgment he displayed here is pretty remarkable for a guy lauded as a leader and “culture builder”. And JAX gets all this for the small price of $12 mil a year.  I still can’t believe there are people that actually liked this hire for JAX.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Looks like the shark pool is sure he’ll be terrible. Guess I should put some money on them winning the super bowl in 2023.

Yes, and we're so bad that we dip pigtails in ink blotters, too.

3 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Vast majority of time when this place gets riled up for no reason, it’s wrong by miles. Unless Josh Boyce is breaking out this year.

Guy just made one of his first hires for an important position and picked a guy that got unceremoniously fired for racially insensitive comments. That's not "no reason." It was a stupid hire. If you really want the guy in your clubhouse, bring him in later when things are quiet. But it's

1. A bad look to his players
  2. A bad look around the league
  3. Reaffirming that he's a real "my way or the highway" guy, and that won't necessarily play in the NFL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Looks like the shark pool is sure he’ll be terrible. Guess I should put some money on them winning the super bowl in 2023.

Username checks out. You go do that. You could also just cut out the middle man and literally light the money on fire as well.

22 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Guy just made one of his first hires for an important position and picked a guy that got unceremoniously fired for racially insensitive comments. That's not "no reason." It was a stupid hire. If you really want the guy in your clubhouse, bring him in later when things are quiet. But it's

3. Reaffirming that he's a real "my way or the highway" guy, and that won't necessarily play in the NFL

That’s the problem Meyer is going to have. He’s not at Ohio State anymore, one of the 12 or 13 programs that can win a title every year and that recruits are dying to play for - he’s in the nfl coaching multi-millionaire players and they will all be quick to tell him to piss right off if he goes too far. 

I think the guy is an excellent game coach but I’m not sure this is going to work.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, habsfan said:

On the coaching hire, they should have settled for the "base hit" instead of trying for the home run. There has to be plenty of "not terrible" coaches to choose from. They have the Lawrence pick, cap space and some decent pieces in place. Who wouldn't be excited to come in and take on that challenge?

naah swing for the fences get a bad person who is also a terrible coach:

win/win

-QG

48 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yup and coming to a place where players are routinely metaphorically shooting their way out of town.

Making a hire that could dissuade free agents is a bad start.

-QG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capella said:

He definitely got 10-12. No doubt in my mind. 

Another potential sore spot with players on an under cap team. Wait, you can't afford to get us more help but you can give this guy $10-12MM?

Thing about Meyer that gets me is I heard him on a podcast a few weeks before he took the Jags job and he was in full coach speak mode listing out his keys to program building and brought up the need for the team to love each other several times. Said the team loving each other was one of his keys to team building, said stuff like motivation is short term but inspiration is long lasting and only way to do that is with love. Said nothing he does works without the team loving each other.

Then he hires a racist who hospitalized several players.

I hope no one ever loves me like Urban Meyer loves his players.

• Laughing 1